• Hello Members, This forums is for DV lottery visas only. For other immigration related questions, please go to our forums home page, find the related forum and post it there.

DV2008--AOS only

Savy - the sunset reference is to the requirement that your greencard application be approved before Septemeber 30 - that is, Sept. 30 = the "sunset" on your chance to be approved in DV-2008. If your name check has not cleared by then, your chance is lost. So the concern with the name check holdup is that it won't allow sufficient time for interview and approval, or even just approval (assuming uoru interview had already been done). Because of this, USCIS apparently apply for expidition of any outstanding name check in around July, so there is time for approval (see, for example Jungu from last year on this forum). The biggest problem is for those with high numbers whose name checks only start in August or September and then get held up - these are less likely to get approved.

Hope this helps.

Thanks Stressedstudent for the information. It helps to know that it won't be stuck in name check forever.
At this point, I have no idea why my interview letter hasn't come yet. Hopefully will hear from USCIS soon regarding interview. Calling 1-800 number doesn't help much. They just say their processing time is 6 months for I485. So don't know what to do next.

10/1/07 - USPS AOS package to Chicago
10/3/07 - Delivered AOS package
10/10/07 - Check cashed
10/13/07 - NOA Received (Dated Oct 10th)
10/17/07 - Biometrics Letter - Appointment 11/02
10/24/07 - Biometrics done
10/24/07 - EAD card proceesing started
11/2/07 - EAD card approved
11/8/07 - Received EAD card in mail
- Waiting for Interview call

My Advanced Parole was approved yesterday (I only applied for it 4 weeks ago so that was a nice surprise). I didn't have a good reason to apply for it other than I wanted to visit the UK to see family, and go on vacation to Mexico in March (both reason I stated on the application).

Just need my background check to clear now so I get my Green Card. It's been almost 60 days since name check was submitted.

Thanks Stressedstudent for the information. It helps to know that it won't be stuck in name check forever.
At this point, I have no idea why my interview letter hasn't come yet. Hopefully will hear from USCIS soon regarding interview. Calling 1-800 number doesn't help much. They just say their processing time is 6 months for I485. So don't know what to do next.

10/1/07 - USPS AOS package to Chicago
10/3/07 - Delivered AOS package
10/10/07 - Check cashed
10/13/07 - NOA Received (Dated Oct 10th)
10/17/07 - Biometrics Letter - Appointment 11/02
10/24/07 - Biometrics done
10/24/07 - EAD card proceesing started
11/2/07 - EAD card approved
11/8/07 - Received EAD card in mail
- Waiting for Interview call

Savy, if I were in your position I would submit letters to your congressman and senator straight away - you have very little control, this is something that may help. Hold tight, its only February.

Savy, if I were in your position I would submit letters to your congressman and senator straight away - you have very little control, this is something that may help. Hold tight, its only February.

Thanks stressedstudent (oops. not so stressed now :) )for the suggestion to submit letter to congressman/senator.
Can you suggest what should be written to the senator and what documents need to be provided along with letter or email. If you have any idea about this, it would help a lot to me.

Thanks stressedstudent (oops. not so stressed now :) )for the suggestion to submit letter to congressman/senator.
Can you suggest what should be written to the senator and what documents need to be provided along with letter or email. If you have any idea about this, it would help a lot to me.

Hi Savy - its just a matter of outlining your situation. If you want to draft something and PM it to me to read, happy to have a look.

Dear All - Just wanted to let you know that my greencard journey is over, the greencards arrived last night! :D:D:D:D:D

This forum was so helpful for me, I could vent frustration or clarify issues, so thank you. If there is anything I can do to help any of you, I am happy to do so.

Dear All - Just wanted to let you know that my greencard journey is over, the greencards arrived last night! :D:D:D:D:D

This forum was so helpful for me, I could vent frustration or clarify issues, so thank you. If there is anything I can do to help any of you, I am happy to do so.

Congratulations dear. Enjoy and start counting down your 5 yrs to citizenship.:D

stressesstudent,

This is great. Hopefully all of us we'll have this chance....do not be stressed anymore :)))
Bests for you and enjoy it. It's a big accomplishment!!!

leny

Congratulation stressedstudent. Now relax and enjoy.

My wife and I went to interview this morning, with our attorney. Other than going over the I-485 forms, he only talked with the attorney about our other AOS applications under EB. He was a very talkative person and had a lengthy conversation with our attorney about how stupid things were going in immigration offices.

After all these unrelated conversation, he said he could not approve the case right now, and he gave us a lengthy empty reasoning that we couldn't understand. In brief, he talked about some personals on vocation and things were solve and his boss was off and his boss needed to do something that he did not articulate for some reasons. He said we should not worry about anything but just wait 1-2 weeks to receive the letter (I assume welcome letter), if not, try to contact them.

I asked especially about name check process, and he confirmed that it was complete but he said he saw something "duplicate name" which he said not any problem. It sounds silly but he did not tell us exactly why he was not able to approve the case; just something he needed his boss to look at. Our attorney did not want to insist more there, rather, to wait for two more weeks before starting any further inquiry.

My wife and I went to interview this morning, with our attorney. Other than going over the I-485 forms, he only talked with the attorney about our other AOS applications under EB. He was a very talkative person and had a lengthy conversation with our attorney about how stupid things were going in immigration offices.

After all these unrelated conversation, he said he could not approve the case right now, and he gave us a lengthy empty reasoning that we couldn't understand. In brief, he talked about some personals on vocation and things were solve and his boss was off and his boss needed to do something that he did not articulate for some reasons. He said we should not worry about anything but just wait 1-2 weeks to receive the letter (I assume welcome letter), if not, try to contact them.

I asked especially about name check process, and he confirmed that it was complete but he said he saw something "duplicate name" which he said not any problem. It sounds silly but he did not tell us exactly why he was not able to approve the case; just something he needed his boss to look at. Our attorney did not want to insist more there, rather, to wait for two more weeks before starting any further inquiry.

Well done Adwinner - now to wait...

Seems you are almost there to get your GC now. Congratulations and Best wishes..
By the way where was your local office where you had interview and when had you applied for AOS.

Stressedstudent..
Submitted letter to the senator and congressman. Thanks for the suggestion.Now waiting for their response.

savy17,

The officer told to the attorney (while they were chatting) that USCIS had made a change in the AOS procedure regarding name checks, and would not wait FBI more than 180 days to receive the name check result, and adjudicate the person without name check result. He said this was a new decision taken two days ago.

Yes, I read about that from another forum too :) Yay!

savy17,

The officer told to the attorney (while they were chatting) that USCIS had made a change in the AOS procedure regarding name checks, and would not wait FBI more than 180 days to receive the name check result, and adjudicate the person without name check result. He said this was a new decision taken two days ago.

Thats a good news to so many people who had stuck in name check.

By the way which one was your local USCIS office. Just trying to find out if anyone from St. Paul local office had their interview or not...

savy17,

Does it really take that long??

Does it really take that long for the background check...? that's insane......
I would really hate it if i got stuck just because of this background check.