• Hello Members, This forums is for DV lottery visas only. For other immigration related questions, please go to our forums home page, find the related forum and post it there.

DV2008--AOS only

Still no NOA or cheques cashed for a Dec number, been 30 days since delivery now... seems like a long time. :confused:

Package arrived to Chicago on Dec 2nd. Used Fed-ex. Picked up by MR. CHYBA or something like that. No NOA yet, check has not been cashed yet.
Cheers
Nebo

Online status for those who received interview letter

Those of you who has received the interview letter so far, can you please let us know what it states. Does it say that interview letter is sent or it still shows the earlier status.

Is there anyone whose local office is St. Paul, Minneapolis and have already received interview letter. If so please response.

The online status stays the same from the time they first log your aplication up to your approval at interview (case received and pending). If your interview is successful, within a couple of days the status changes to something like 'sent letter welcoming you to the USA' then a few days later to something like 'card production ordered' (than finally to 'Approval notice sent').

One thing that does change along the way (even when still at the 'case received and pending' stage) is the 'last updated' date as they send you biometrics letter and interview appointment letter.

Those of you who has received the interview letter so far, can you please let us know what it states. Does it say that interview letter is sent or it still shows the earlier status.

Is there anyone whose local office is St. Paul, Minneapolis and have already received interview letter. If so please response.

The online status stays the same from the time they first log your aplication up to your approval at interview (case received and pending). If your interview is successful, within a couple of days the status changes to something like 'sent letter welcoming you to the USA' then a few days later to something like 'card production ordered' (than finally to 'Approval notice sent').

One thing that does change along the way (even when still at the 'case received and pending' stage) is the 'last updated' date as they send you biometrics letter and interview appointment letter.

Thanks Orlandovillas for the response. Just wondering if there is anyone having local office St. Paul, MN. Trying to see whether my case has only been stucked or others from this local office also facing the same problem.

10/1/07 - USPS AOS package to Chicago
10/3/07 - Delivered AOS package
10/10/07 - Check cashed
10/13/07 - NOA Received (Dated Oct 10th)
10/17/07 - Biometrics Letter - Appointment 11/02
10/24/07 - Biometrics done
10/24/07 - EAD card proceesing started
11/2/07 - EAD card approved
11/8/07 - Received EAD card in mail
- Waiting for Interview call

Today I had my interview and am ecstatic to report that we were approved! I am so relieved, I didn't realize just how anxious I was about it all. Following is a description of the interview day as best as I can remember.

Interview was at 8.30am in the Chicago office. Last night we put all our documents together - we got an expandable file and labeled each thing (e.g. Principal - Financial; Principal - Education; Spouse - Financials etc). We also paperclipped a copy of every document on the back of the originals, even ones we had already sent in, including passport, old passports, and copies of all the entry/exist stamps in the passports (and it was worth it it turned out). We got up at 6am and got ready, drove into downtown Chicago and arrived at USCIS at 8.15am, we sat down and were immediatly called (SO surprised!). We mentioned our surprise to the officer who said that our first appointment was actually at 8am - OOPS! [note to all, double check the times on your letters, especially if you have a spouse!]. We appologized profusely and he seemed to appreciate that!

The interview started [interviewer was a white male about 30 years old], we were both sworn in. Then he got my hubbie's info (principal) - asked for: passport, old passport, drivers licence, SSN Card, student card, birth certificate, I-94, I-20. Asked me what my hubbie's parents names were. Asked hubbie all of the questions on the I-485, hubbie is brutally honest, so, despite my schooling to answer yes/no only, when asked about claiming public benefits, hubbie said, well in my home country I got unemployment once... I nearly died, the officer smiled and said, we have unemplyment here too, what I want to know is whether you have claimed a public benefit here, hubbie thankfully (adn truthfully) said no, and we moved on. Then hubbie signed the form. The officer was warming up to us by now and was chatting about travel etc. Looked at proof of enrolment docs for hubbie and the original testamurs of all his degrees (not just high school all bachelors and masters). That was it for him.

The me: same ID docs, asked hubbie my parents names and occupations. Then mentioned my job offer. Then asked for our marriage certificate, and any document that could prove our "togetherness" [glad I read the forum, otherwise would not have had this!] - I brought out a bank statement and wedding pics, he looked at the pic out of interest only I think.

Then he said, that's it - you are approved, thanked us for our frankness and preparedness with the copies, and then proceeded to order the cards and finish the paperwork right in front of us! He also gave us his phone number in case the cards didn't come within 2 weeks, and said he would stamp out passports if we needed it.

He didn't ask for financials - I think the education sufficed. There was no discussion of financial support, which was my biggest concern. Seemed that HIS biggest issue was making sure we were actually together, rather than just together for the greencard. He did mention that he didn't do many DV applicants, so this may explain the difference between my expectation and the reality of the interview.

Hope this account helps, and any q's about the interview or docs we prepared etc, I am happy to answer!

Signed,
Not so stressed student!

Last edited by a moderator:
Today I had my interview and am ecstatic to report that we were approved! I am so relieved, I didn't realize just how anxious I was about it all. Following is a description of the interview day as best as I can remember.

Interview was at 8.30am in the Chicago office. Last night we put all our documents together - we got an expandable file and labeled each thing (e.g. Principal - Financial; Principal - Education; Spouse - Financials etc). We also paperclipped a copy of every document on the back of the originals, even ones we had already sent in, including passport, old passports, and copies of all the entry/exist stamps in the passports (and it was worth it it turned out). We got up at 6am and got ready, drove into downtown Chicago and arrived at USCIS at 8.15am, we sat down and were immediatly called (SO surprised!). We mentioned our surprise to the officer who said that our first appointment was actually at 8am - OOPS! [note to all, double check the times on your letters, especially if you have a spouse!]. We appologized profusely and he seemed to appreciate that!

The interview started [interviewer was a white male about 30 years old], we were both sworn in. Then he got my hubbie's info (principal) - asked for: passport, old passport, drivers licence, SSN Card, student card, birth certificate, I-94, I-20. Asked me what my hubbie's parents names were. Asked hubbie all of the questions on the I-485, hubbie is brutally honest, so, despite my schooling to answer yes/no only, when asked about claiming public benefits, hubbie said, well in my home country I got unemployment once... I nearly died, the officer smiled and said, we have unemplyment here too, what I want to know is whether you have claimed a public benefit here, hubbie thankfully (adn truthfully) said no, and we moved on. Then hubbie signed the form. The officer was warming up to us by now and was chatting about travel etc. Looked at proof of enrolment docs for hubbie and the original testamurs of all his degrees (not just high school all bachelors and masters). That was it for him.

The me: same ID docs, asked hubbie my parents names and occupations. Then mentioned my job offer. Then asked for our marriage certificate, and any document that could prove our "togetherness" [glad I read the forum, otherwise would not have had this!] - I brought out a bank statement and wedding pics, he looked at the pic out of interest only I think.

Then he said, that's it - you are approved, thanked us for our frankness and preparedness with the copies, and then proceeded to order the cards and finish the paperwork right in front of us! He also gave us his phone number in case the cards didn't come within 2 weeks, and said he would stamp out passports if we needed it.

He didn't ask for financials - I think the education sufficed. There was no discussion of financial support, which was my biggest concern. Seemed that HIS biggest issue was making sure we were actually together, rather than just together for the greencard. He did mention that he didn't do many DV applicants, so this may explain the difference between my expectation and the reality of the interview.

Hope this account helps, and any q's about the interview or docs we prepared etc, I am happy to answer!

Signed,
Not so stressed student!

Congratulations...........

Anyone whose case number was current in October

Is there anyone still waiting for the interview letter who has filed for AOS to USCIS in October only?

I am still waiting for the interview letter.
Please respond who are in the same boat.

10/1/07 - USPS AOS package to Chicago
10/3/07 - Delivered AOS package
10/10/07 - Check cashed
10/13/07 - NOA Received (Dated Oct 10th)
10/17/07 - Biometrics Letter - Appointment 11/02
10/24/07 - Biometrics done
10/24/07 - EAD card proceesing started
11/2/07 - EAD card approved
11/8/07 - Received EAD card in mail
- Waiting for Interview call

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm so happy for you stressedstudent, congratulations!!

I'd like to leave the country before I get my GC :D I filled out a I131 form together with my I485. Does any of you know how to travel outside with that?
Thanks,

Signed,
Not so stressed student!

Congratulations, stressedstudent ! Very well done !

I'm so happy for you stressedstudent, congratulations!!

I'd like to leave the country before I get my GC :D I filled out a I131 form together with my I485. Does any of you know how to travel outside with that?
Thanks,
ruxy> I recently came back into the country on Advance Parole (AP). You need to have the approval form(512L) for your AP (I131) application. I believe you are also required to carry your original I485 receipt although the officer never asked us for that. At the POE they will stamp your 512L form when you return and your I94 will also be stamped as "paroled to continue AOS".

Btw if you have another valid non-immigrant visa in your passport, you can use that to get back into the country.

Hope this helps.

Thanks,
--Tom

Tom, how do I get the approval form(512L) for the AP (I131) application? Can I schedule an Infopass and ask there for it? Or USCIS will send it to me at home? If that's the case, then I can't leave the country until I don't receive the form from them :confused:

Yes, you have to wait for them to send you the approval. I don't think you can schedule an infopass to speed it up. Looking at the online processing times they are currently processing I131 applications recieved up to the 27th October.

Tom, how do I get the approval form(512L) for the AP (I131) application? Can I schedule an Infopass and ask there for it? Or USCIS will send it to me at home? If that's the case, then I can't leave the country until I don't receive the form from them :confused:

Ruxy, my cases for AP (I131) were approved yesterday according to USCIS web site, so hopefully you'll get yours soon

Btw if you have another valid non-immigrant visa in your passport, you can use that to get back into the country.

-Tom

Tom - this is incorrect, if you leave the country without AP and return on your non-immigrant visa, you are deemed to have abandoned your I-485 application.

Thanks everyone for the congratulations!

For L1 (and a few others) you can continue to use the Visa in your passport as long as it's still valid. Most other visa's you do need to get AP.

Tom - this is incorrect, if you leave the country without AP and return on your non-immigrant visa, you are deemed to have abandoned your I-485 application.

Thanks everyone for the congratulations!