• Hello Members, This forums is for DV lottery visas only. For other immigration related questions, please go to our forums home page, find the related forum and post it there.

DV2008--AOS only

Hello to all.
Congratulations to those who are experiencing break-through's in their cases.
It seems that Feb. 6th was a day when the clog was removed, hopefully, not just for the moment, and things started "cooking", if I may say so....
After 35 days my 1010$ check was cashed on the 6th. I expect the rest will follow soon (NOA and biometrics date).
Cheers
Nebo

A question to those who know about EAD:

I will graduate in May with Phd. I got a job offer to start on July 1st. My number was current in Jan. they just cashed my check. I think that things are a bit on the slow side this year, and although there is still 4 months left, I think that it would be safe to estimate I won't get my GC before Sept. I did not apply for EAD while filing the package for AOS, maybe a mistake, but what can I do now.

I was wondering if it is possible to apply for EAD now, at this stage, even though I already filed the I-485. If yes, do I need to pay 340$ again, or can I use the 1010$ they already charged me, since it said that this amount includes AP and EAD if needed?

I almost applied for OPT through my university, but after talking to a lawyer (she did seem kind lost I must admit), it seems that in that way I might jeopardize my AOS application. Not sure if this makes sense...I would just like to be able to start on July 1st, regardless of how fast they process my AOS application.

Thank you for your help.

Cheers
Nebo

advwinner08,

This is great even if haven't got the approval today. I'm sure you'll get it pretty soon. Did the IO had any particular questions about your other application. Did he say if having another I-485 might cause any problems?

Best wishes and I hope you'll get the approval soon,

Leny

My wife and I went to interview this morning, with our attorney. Other than going over the I-485 forms, he only talked with the attorney about our other AOS applications under EB. He was a very talkative person and had a lengthy conversation with our attorney about how stupid things were going in immigration offices.

After all these unrelated conversation, he said he could not approve the case right now, and he gave us a lengthy empty reasoning that we couldn't understand. In brief, he talked about some personals on vocation and things were solve and his boss was off and his boss needed to do something that he did not articulate for some reasons. He said we should not worry about anything but just wait 1-2 weeks to receive the letter (I assume welcome letter), if not, try to contact them.

I asked especially about name check process, and he confirmed that it was complete but he said he saw something "duplicate name" which he said not any problem. It sounds silly but he did not tell us exactly why he was not able to approve the case; just something he needed his boss to look at. Our attorney did not want to insist more there, rather, to wait for two more weeks before starting any further inquiry.

Tom, or whoever knows about AP,
I got my AP card today and I am very happy because I plan to leave the country in March. Do you know what other documents except the passport and the AP card I need with me at the port of entry? There is any chance that they can deny your entry in US? Thank you,

ruxy,

Congrats. For us we didn't need anything else other than the AP approval notice and passport. You will need to fill the I94 (white card) on your return as well. But I would carry all the relevant immigration related documents with you when you travel just in case. You might also have to leave some extra time at the POE as you might have to go through secondary inspection - it took us about 1/2 hour extra and weren't asked a single question. All they did was stamp our AP approval and I-94.

Thanks,
--T

mailing/assembling tips

Hi All,

Those who have already filed your 485 packages, could you please share your thoughts on putting the package together? I've seen the USCIS link at

http://www.uscis.gov/portal/site/us...nnel=fe529c7755cb9010VgnVCM10000045f3d6a1RCRD

Did you guys use bulldog/metal clips/binders or ACCO fasteners? How about the cover letter and the sealed Medical exam (693) results?

If you were sending multiple applications, for e.g. principal & spouse, did you put them in separate envelopes inside the same fedex/ups/usps shipment?

Is there anything else that we need to write on the envelope/forms regarding DV lottery case?

Thanks,
--Tom

I was wondering if it is possible to apply for EAD now, at this stage, even though I already filed the I-485. If yes, do I need to pay 340$ again, or can I use the 1010$ they already charged me, since it said that this amount includes AP and EAD if needed?

This is actually covered in the instructions for the EAD application. No you do not need the fee, yes it is still included in the $1010, but you need to enclose a copy of your 485 receipt with the EAD application. (and presumably a note in very large font at the cover of your packet so the mailroom droid can figure it out.)

Leny,

Actually he did not even ask any questions to us. He read the cover letter that said about the pending EB-3 AOS and why we filed a new set under DV (because it would be faster adjudication), and he smiled and started a conversation with the attorney about EB cases and the huge backlog there. His only comment to us was to let the attorneys at my employer know about when DV AOS got approved so that they could withdraw the applications. He said DV AOS case that he was adjudicate was completely independent from the other pending ones and we should assume anything to be done for EB cases. He also advised us not to withdraw EB AOS until DV ones got approved and GC produced.

I hope this helps.

P.S. Local Office: Seattle, WA.

advwinner08,

This is great even if haven't got the approval today. I'm sure you'll get it pretty soon. Did the IO had any particular questions about your other application. Did he say if having another I-485 might cause any problems?

Best wishes and I hope you'll get the approval soon,

Leny

Hi All,

Those who have already filed your 485 packages, could you please share your thoughts on putting the package together? I've seen the USCIS link at

http://www.uscis.gov/portal/site/us...nnel=fe529c7755cb9010VgnVCM10000045f3d6a1RCRD

Did you guys use bulldog/metal clips/binders or ACCO fasteners? How about the cover letter and the sealed Medical exam (693) results?

If you were sending multiple applications, for e.g. principal & spouse, did you put them in separate envelopes inside the same fedex/ups/usps shipment?

Is there anything else that we need to write on the envelope/forms regarding DV lottery case?

Thanks,
--Tom

Hi Tom,
About the cover letter read here http://boards.immigrationportal.com/showthread.php?t=251543&page=8
there is a post by advwinner08 about it.
I sent 2 applications --for my husband and I-- in one big envelope in which I had 2 other...smaller envelopes for each application, I wrote our name and DV number on each envelope. I used metal clips for the documents and I stapled the check on the first page of the I485 form. I used usps just to save money, but I suggest you use something faster (like fedex or ups) if you don't care about the price. Hope this helps,

Thanks a lot,

I think I'm just to stressed out about everything....
I count on the fact that the IO who is going to review our application is a not a picky person (my local office is Charlotte, NC).

Leny

Leny,

Actually he did not even ask any questions to us. He read the cover letter that said about the pending EB-3 AOS and why we filed a new set under DV (because it would be faster adjudication), and he smiled and started a conversation with the attorney about EB cases and the huge backlog there. His only comment to us was to let the attorneys at my employer know about when DV AOS got approved so that they could withdraw the applications. He said DV AOS case that he was adjudicate was completely independent from the other pending ones and we should assume anything to be done for EB cases. He also advised us not to withdraw EB AOS until DV ones got approved and GC produced.

I hope this helps.

P.S. Local Office: Seattle, WA.

ruxy,

Congrats! That's a pretty quick turn around - 3 months from package delivery to interview! Good for you.

Also, thanks for the link/tips/info.

:)
--Tom

Stressedstudent..
Submitted letter to the senator and congressman. Thanks for the suggestion.Now waiting for their response.

Excellent - hopefully this helps, at the least they will make an inquiry on your behalf. I remember that you were a fair distance from your local office, have you thought about making a trip down there? Another option is to do a google search and try to find out who the director of the office is and write them a letter/email directly.