• Hello Members, This forums is for DV lottery visas only. For other immigration related questions, please go to our forums home page, find the related forum and post it there.

DV 2025 AOS (Adjustment of Status) Process Only

Hello everyone;

I am moving to Boston and I was going to make address change .

My AOS was received on October 9th and they sent me a text .

Is there anything I should worry about ? Will change of address at this stage complicate the process?

Thank you .

Hello! First off, I wanna say that it is truly amazing how you've been able to cultivate such a helpful and knowledgeable community here, I have been following this forum for a while and I am amazed every day at the kindness and aid received by inquiring members!

I have a quick question, I'd really appreciate the help!

Namely, if an F1 student applies for the DV lottery and WINS, but leaves the US and goes to their home country for vacation AFTER finding out the DV lottery result, does that pose any issues when renewing an F1 visa OR re-entering the US, provided that the student hasn't filed a DS-260 nor AOS application, and doesn't have the intent of doing so upon returning to the US to continue their studies? Does the DV lottery win need to be disclosed at the F1 application and is that info available to the CO or CBP officer at the POE?
1. The embassy will be aware of the DV selection. Renewal or denial of the F1 visa will be at the discretion of the CO. For a renewal that ordinarily might not have required an interview, the CO may decide an interview is required to evaluate the applicant’s immigrant intent.

2. Admission or re-admission into the US is only guaranteed for USC, having a valid visa does not guarantee an admission at the POE. There have been a couple of reports (quite few) in the past of CBP asking about DV lottery selection at the POE.

3. Never volunteer information. You disclose your DV selection only if/when asked, and never.

p.s. number your questions when you have more than one per post.

Hello everyone;

I am moving to Boston and I was going to make address change .

My AOS was received on October 9th and they sent me a text .

Is there anything I should worry about ? Will change of address at this stage complicate the process?

Thank you .
We’ve always recommended against relocating after filing for AOS as that has more often than not resulted in avoidable delay, especially when the new address falls under the jurisdiction of a different FO from that which the previous address was under.

The NBC forwards the AOS case file to the FO with jurisdiction over the case based on the address listed on the I-485. When an applicant relocates after filing for AOS, it means the initial FO will need to forward the case file to the new FO with jurisdiction over the applicant’s new address. More often than not this transfer does not happen soon enough, as the change of address may not be noticed early, maybe until an interview is about to be scheduled, the case is about to be adjudicated if the FO is one of those that waives DV based AOS interviews.

Also on I-485 template, I see in Part 8 that the example checks the box for bachelor's degree (#66) and then in #67 it shows the type of bachelor's degree and some specific skills of the applicant.

I have a high school diploma and currently a sophomore at a U.S. university. I checked the box in #66 for "1 or more years of college credit, no degree". In my case, is it recommended to write in item #67 that: 1) I have a high school diploma, 2) I'm a sophomore at X university majoring in physics, and 3) list some specific technical skills I have?

Note: the basis of my DV application is high school education level (not work experience).

1. The embassy will be aware of the DV selection. Renewal or denial of the F1 visa will be at the discretion of the CO. For a renewal that ordinarily might not have required an interview, the CO may decide an interview is required to evaluate the applicant’s immigrant intent.

2. Admission or re-admission into the US is only guaranteed for USC, having a valid visa does not guarantee an admission at the POE. There have been a couple of reports (quite few) in the past of CBP asking about DV lottery selection at the POE.

3. Never volunteer information. You disclose your DV selection only if/when asked, and never.

p.s. number your questions when you have more than one per post.
Thank you so much for the fast and thorough answer!

Perhaps this isn't information that you have, but I was wondering:

1. How is it possible that the embassy would be aware of the selection, considering the fact that the passport number information isn't asked when entering the DV lottery? Maybe the email information, or the name in combination with the date of birth?

2. Perhaps partially unrelated to the subject of DV, but I was wondering: if I finish my master's studies in December 2024 and enroll in doctoral studies in January 2025 at the same university (thus getting a new I-20, but maintaining the same SEVIS number, from my understanding), can I use my current valid F1 visa (which was originally given when enrolling in master's studies) to enter, although it is now a different program level and new I-20 (doctoral instead of master's)?

3. I have read through many posts on this forum (some old, some new) regarding the amount of money required to overcome the public charge requirement, but based on your overarching experience, would an amount around $25k be sufficient to fulfill this requirement (for somebody who had just graduated with a master's degree at a US university)? Also, is it necessary for the money to be in a US bank account, or can a foreign account (and currency) be used as proof?

Thank you so much!

How is it possible that the embassy would be aware of the selection, considering the fact that the passport number information isn't asked when entering the DV lottery? Maybe the email information, or the name in combination with the date of birth?
The reach of embassies in understanding who is applying for what is amazing. Back in 2010, when computing power was significantly less than today and all visa applications were still on paper, my local consulate called me in because the interview-waiver for children under 14 was not waived for my kid… because my father had applied for an immigrant visa for me… and noteworthy, he had applied before my kid was born, so she was not on the application. If they could link that in those days you can bet your all electronic data submission for the same person is known in their systems.

Also on I-485 template, I see in Part 8 that the example checks the box for bachelor's degree (#66) and then in #67 it shows the type of bachelor's degree and some specific skills of the applicant.

I have a high school diploma and currently a sophomore at a U.S. university. I checked the box in #66 for "1 or more years of college credit, no degree". In my case, is it recommended to write in item #67 that: 1) I have a high school diploma, 2) I'm a sophomore at X university majoring in physics, and 3) list some specific technical skills I have?

Note: the basis of my DV application is high school education level (not work experience).
1 and 3.

Thank you so much for the fast and thorough answer!

Perhaps this isn't information that you have, but I was wondering:

1. How is it possible that the embassy would be aware of the selection, considering the fact that the passport number information isn't asked when entering the DV lottery? Maybe the email information, or the name in combination with the date of birth?

2. Perhaps partially unrelated to the subject of DV, but I was wondering: if I finish my master's studies in December 2024 and enroll in doctoral studies in January 2025 at the same university (thus getting a new I-20, but maintaining the same SEVIS number, from my understanding), can I use my current valid F1 visa (which was originally given when enrolling in master's studies) to enter, although it is now a different program level and new I-20 (doctoral instead of master's)?

3. I have read through many posts on this forum (some old, some new) regarding the amount of money required to overcome the public charge requirement, but based on your overarching experience, would an amount around $25k be sufficient to fulfill this requirement (for somebody who had just graduated with a master's degree at a US university)? Also, is it necessary for the money to be in a US bank account, or can a foreign account (and currency) be used as proof?

Thank you so much!
1. Just know that they have a way of knowing.
2. Outside the realm of the DV process related questions that I address on this platform.
3. I typically do not provide specific amount. The AOS process document has a list of recommended documents for demonstrating one is not likely to become a public charge. US bank a/c preferable.

The reach of embassies in understanding who is applying for what is amazing. Back in 2010, when computing power was significantly less than today and all visa applications were still on paper, my local consulate called me in because the interview-waiver for children under 14 was not waived for my kid… because my father had applied for an immigrant visa for me… and noteworthy, he had applied before my kid was born, so she was not on the application. If they could link that in those days you can bet your all electronic data submission for the same person is known in their systems.
Great response. I would like to some additional clarification to help the OP along the line of how would the embassy be aware ...

Your dad hadn't even applied for an immigrant visa for you at that point since you were yet to submit the DS260 (or the equivalent DS form in use at that point). All your dad did was to file the I-130 sponsorship form with USCIS, and the form got subsequently approved by USCIS, pending priority date becoming current to enable you apply for the visa. Nothing was filed with the embassy, no immigrant visa application was submitted, yet the embassy knew you had an approved I-130 which was filed before your kid was born.

Great response. I would like to some additional clarification to help the OP along the line of how would the embassy be aware ...

Your dad hadn't even applied for an immigrant visa for you at that point since you were yet to submit the DS260 (or the equivalent DS form in use at that point). All your dad did was to file the I-130 sponsorship form with USCIS, and the form got subsequently approved by USCIS, pending priority date becoming current to enable you apply for the visa. Nothing was filed with the embassy, no immigrant visa application was submitted, yet the embassy knew you had an approved I-130 which was filed before your kid was born.
Exactly. And again, this was in the days when everything was paper-based. My father had sent a paper form for the I130, which would have been somewhere in the USCIS system in the US. It had been approved by then but was still years from becoming current (in fact it only became current last year I think, thankfully I won DV in the interim!). Likewise, the B visa application for my kid was on paper and mailed directly to the consulate in our home town.

@Sm1smom @SusieQQQ Thank you so much for sharing your experience!

Honestly, I shouldn't have relied so much on the search results I got while browsing this forum throughout the last few months, I saw multiple long-standing members saying that applying and even winning the DV lottery wouldn't affect anything in regards to getting a NIV, unless DS-260 or AOS was filed, but now I see it's not so simple.

I am actually extremely anxious about winning the DV-2026 lottery now (which I know has an extraordinarily small chance of happening lol), as I really don't want to mess up my doctoral studies (which from what I understand shouldn't be possible even if I possibly decide to apply for AOS and get rejected, as I'll still have a valid SEVIS record throughout the next 3 years of my study, and AOS rejection doesn't affect that). Actually, what I'm more concerned about is not being able to leave the US as I'd possibly have issues getting my F1 visa renewed EVEN IF I didn't apply for AOS or DS-260, just on the basis of winning the lottery (if it happens). Not being able to visit my home country for 3 years OR MORE is a terrifying prospect.

I assume there's no way to rescind an already submitted entry? :/

@Sm1smom @SusieQQQ Thank you so much for sharing your experience!

Honestly, I shouldn't have relied so much on the search results I got while browsing this forum throughout the last few months, I saw multiple long-standing members saying that applying and even winning the DV lottery wouldn't affect anything in regards to getting a NIV, unless DS-260 or AOS was filed, but now I see it's not so simple.

I am actually extremely anxious about winning the DV-2026 lottery now (which I know has an extraordinarily small chance of happening lol), as I really don't want to mess up my doctoral studies (which from what I understand shouldn't be possible even if I possibly decide to apply for AOS and get rejected, as I'll still have a valid SEVIS record throughout the next 3 years of my study, and AOS rejection doesn't affect that). Actually, what I'm more concerned about is not being able to leave the US as I'd possibly have issues getting my F1 visa renewed EVEN IF I didn't apply for AOS or DS-260, just on the basis of winning the lottery (if it happens). Not being able to visit my home country for 3 years OR MORE is a terrifying prospect.

I assume there's no way to rescind an already submitted entry? :/
Winning the lottery is not immigrant intent. They can ask about things and still give you a non immigrant visa - as happened with my kid’s visa.

Hello everyone, I have a question about the address history section on the I-485 form, since where I lived the streets do not have numbers nor do the avenues have names, but rather the addresses are like "from ABC Hospital, 3 blocks east and 2 blocks north." I don't know how I could put that type of address on the form.

1728952189560.png

Hello everyone, I have a question about the address history section on the I-485 form, since where I lived the streets do not have numbers nor do the avenues have names, but rather the addresses are like "from ABC Hospital, 3 blocks east and 2 blocks north." I don't know how I could put that type of address on the form.

View attachment 5333
Just list them in all the sections as best as you can. It is totally understandable for non-US addresses to not follow the US format.

Just a quick update on my case:
Thanks for the comprehensive instructions and tips provided on the AOS Process sheet,
2 days after $1,440 was cashed out, I asked Emma live agent if Biometrics were scheduled and they gave me the date 10/30/2024 and the time so I signed in to myuscis account and rescheduled to the earliest available appointment. I printed the new appointment and took it with the passport on the scheduled appointment today and the status was updated one hour later to Biometrics taken. Good luck everyone

Just a quick update on my case:
Thanks for the comprehensive instructions and tips provided on the AOS Process sheet,
2 days after $1,440 was cashed out, I asked Emma live agent if Biometrics were scheduled and they gave me the date 10/30/2024 and the time so I signed in to myuscis account and rescheduled to the earliest available appointment. I printed the new appointment and took it with the passport on the scheduled appointment today and the status was updated one hour later to Biometrics taken. Good luck everyone
I have also received the Bio notice by mail today. Actually me and my husband had done Bio for TPS on 10/09/2024 except for my child.
Thus, I check with Emma and she ask us to go for Bio again unless they did not say Bio Waived.
So, we rescheduled to 10/17/2024 for 3 of us and will perform bio again.
Thanks for sharing the info too.

May

I currently have a USCIS account with a pending OPT EAD case but am unable to add a new case (AOS). I used same email for all applications. The error message I receive states, "There was an error syncing your case. Try again in a few minutes." Any reason why this might be happening?

Hello mom. In my form i-693, it asked me to write “USCIS account if any”. Im currently on POST completion OPT, and i have a USCIS account for my OPT where i got my case approved, i did not mention it on the I-693 i thought it was irrelevant.

Was i supposed to write that there?

Hello mom. In my form i-693, it asked me to write “USCIS account if any”. Im currently on POST completion OPT, and i have a USCIS account for my OPT where i got my case approved, i did not mention it on the I-693 i thought it was irrelevant.

Was i supposed to write that there?
You will not get penalized for the non-inclusion.