• Hello Members, This forums is for DV lottery visas only. For other immigration related questions, please go to our forums home page, find the related forum and post it there.

DV 2025 All Selectees (Consular Processing - CP)

Even if we have a low number? OC 5XX. I I’ve heard reopening takes ages so I’m nervous haha!
This is May, your FY has not even started. Interview for DV2025 doesn’t start until October, which is why I earlier on said he’s got enough time. Don’t unlock if you you’re nervous or think doing so could be an issue.

Thank you. After submitting the DS260, what are the next steps? Should we wait to receive the 2NL or are there any documents that we should submit in advance? Thank you.
You wait for your CN to become current and get scheduled for your interview.

Hi everyone and thanks for your help! I came across this awesome database that @Britsimon has put together from CEAC:
(sorry website didn't allow to post link)
And I was wondering why some Embassies have a lot of low Case Numbers under "ready" when they should be more likely to get proccessed. Is this because the officers at the Embassy forget to process those cases? I'm assuming that seeing many cases under "ready" is a red flag for an Embassy, is that correct? Here's an example of the performance of the US Embassy at Madrid for 2023 in case that I'm not explaining myself well:1715124336864.png

Thanks in advance for your help :)

And I was wondering why some Embassies have a lot of low Case Numbers under "ready" when they should be more likely to get proccessed.
Looking at a single snapshot doesn't tell you how long a case is in a Ready state. They can stay like that for a while even for cases processing normally. Having said that, cases sometimes are not updated due to inadvertence of CO, even though people associated with the case got their visas, and stay like that forever. There's also a significant number of people that are invited to an interview, but never show up. Their cases stay "Ready" indefinitely too.

Hello, my partner has been drawn with OC 29xx - which is a terribly high number (we’re pretending like he wasn’t drawn tbh, and it almost feels worse than if not drawn).

Based on some research and guide on your website, I understand that we shouldn’t submit the ds260 until the process is much further along / looking possible for OC’s number to get that high towards the end/become “current” as the declaration of “immigration intent” could be adversarial for future non-immigrant visa classes that we may need. Is there a ds processing/review time that would hold up our ability to get an interview/formally start the process? i.e. how close to the chance of getting a shot at this should we leave it before submitting?

Thanks!

Looking at a single snapshot doesn't tell you how long a case is in a Ready state. They can stay like that for a while even for cases processing normally. Having said that, cases sometimes are not updated due to inadvertence of CO, even though people associated with the case got their visas, and stay like that forever. There's also a significant number of people that are invited to an interview, but never show up. Their cases stay "Ready" indefinitely too.
Oh I see, so there are multiple reasons for this "ready" status. Is there a way that I can determine whether my Embassy in Madrid is performing well or not? Thanks!

Good morning,
We have been selected for DV2025!
I completed form DS-260 yesterday.
One of my children will be 21 in August 2024. .

On the site, I read that: "If you have a child who will soon be 21, you should immediately contact the U.S. embassy or consulate where your interview is scheduled. The U.S. embassy or consulate will determine if an earlier appointment is necessary."

but if the treatment does not begin before October 2024, do you think there will be an issue for my son to receive his visa? Or is it the consular immigration officer who can make the choice of yes or no?

Thanks !

So I just saw that I've won the DV lottery. It's crazy. I'm already in the US on L1B status and we are in the process of working on a green card through my employer but there's a lot of uncertainty around it due to the economic climate and whatnot. So this has been a huge blessing. My case number is EU 19xxx which as far as I understand is also a great number to have and we should make it before exhaustion or end of FY. Historically it seems like this has always been a winning CN.

So now faced with the choice of either going AOS or CP, I'm leaning toward CP. The reasoning is that my case number could get called as late as June, which would give very little time for error around anything to do with AOS. Also, I don't like the idea that the AOS I feel has a lot more uncertainty around it, you just send it off and the feedback you get on it is slow and you can be left in the dark for months waiting for an update. God forbid you get any mistake, you could be looking at delays that cost you the entire green card, especially with my CN which is likely to be later in the year and getting close to the final months.

While with the CP you simply file your DS160, you do your medical and your interview in your home country and you pretty much have your answers immediately. The biggest downside as far as I can tell will be travel costs and whatnot.

The only major question I have is around how it works when you do CP when you already have a visa? Do I basically just go do my CP like any other visa, they'll add that visa to my passport and then when I enter the US I enter under my diversity visa instead of my L1B visa? I don't need to do anything about my L1B visa? And I just continue to work as usual with my employer, I'm already in status eligible to continue working? I don't need a new SSN or anything like that? That is how I understand it at least from all my reading.

If there is a good lawyer to hire to consult about these questions I'd also like recommendations on that but it seems like people here are very familiar with the system and even moreso than most lawyers.

So I just saw that I've won the DV lottery. It's crazy. I'm already in the US on L1B status and we are in the process of working on a green card through my employer but there's a lot of uncertainty around it due to the economic climate and whatnot. So this has been a huge blessing. My case number is EU 19xxx which as far as I understand is also a great number to have and we should make it before exhaustion or end of FY. Historically it seems like this has always been a winning CN.

So now faced with the choice of either going AOS or CP, I'm leaning toward CP. The reasoning is that my case number could get called as late as June, which would give very little time for error around anything to do with AOS. Also, I don't like the idea that the AOS I feel has a lot more uncertainty around it, you just send it off and the feedback you get on it is slow and you can be left in the dark for months waiting for an update. God forbid you get any mistake, you could be looking at delays that cost you the entire green card, especially with my CN which is likely to be later in the year and getting close to the final months.

While with the CP you simply file your DS160, you do your medical and your interview in your home country and you pretty much have your answers immediately. The biggest downside as far as I can tell will be travel costs and whatnot.

The only major question I have is around how it works when you do CP when you already have a visa? Do I basically just go do my CP like any other visa, they'll add that visa to my passport and then when I enter the US I enter under my diversity visa instead of my L1B visa? I don't need to do anything about my L1B visa? And I just continue to work as usual with my employer, I'm already in status eligible to continue working? I don't need a new SSN or anything like that? That is how I understand it at least from all my reading.

If there is a good lawyer to hire to consult about these questions I'd also like recommendations on that but it seems like people here are very familiar with the system and even moreso than most lawyers.
If you get issued with an IV at the end of the CP, your exiting L1 visa will be canceled without prejudice. You’ll be returning back to the US with the IV and be admitted as a LPR. You’re free to work with anyone at that point, or continue working with your existing employer. Your current SSN is for life, it is not tied to any particular status.

This site is a DIY. The process is straightforward enough. Hiring a lawyer is basically just throwing money away.

If you get issued with an IV at the end of the CP, your exiting L1 visa will be canceled without prejudice. You’ll be returning back to the US with the IV and be admitted as a LPR. You’re free to work with anyone at that point, or continue working with your existing employer. Your current SSN is for life, it is not tied to any particular status.

This site is a DIY. The process is straightforward enough. Hiring a lawyer is basically just throwing money away.
Thanks. That outcome is also fine, of course I will have no need for the L1 regardless after having the IV. Since I'm currently living in the US, I assume I put my address in the DS160 and whatnot. I was understanding from Simon's videos that you can technically pick any country to do your immigrant visa in, not sure if I'm understanding that correctly. In that case would it be prudent to try to find one with quick interview waiting times, or does that not apply to this type of visa? When searching online and on the gov website, I only find waiting times related to non-immigrant visas. The waiting times for these in my home country are max 16 days. If there are any waiting times to be concerned about for immigrant visas I assume that's a good indication that wait times in my home country will be very low.

The only other downside maybe I saw for the CP process would be just that there may be more scrutiny, but I guess as a European who has no criminal history, no unusual travel history to countries of concern to the US, 10+ years of software engineer work experience, plenty of savings, etc (basically no disqualifying factors), the amount of scrutiny given to my case would likely be very low and not be something considering as a justification to do the AOS route instead, where you likely are going to end up having to prove some of that stuff anyways regardless unless you have a waived interview and waived interviews don't seem to be the norm from the experiences on the spreadsheets. Reading Simon's experience on his blog about that definitely makes me feel like the CP process is better for us. Traveling, taking a lot of time off etc isn't an issue for us. The process definitely seems more straightforward with less uncertainty and waiting around for status updates.

Last edited:
Thanks. That outcome is also fine, of course I will have no need for the L1 regardless after having the IV. Since I'm currently living in the US, I assume I put my address in the DS160 and whatnot. I was understanding from Simon's videos that you can technically pick any country to do your immigrant visa in, not sure if I'm understanding that correctly. In that case would it be prudent to try to find one with quick interview waiting times, or does that not apply to this type of visa? When searching online and on the gov website, I only find waiting times related to non-immigrant visas. The waiting times for these in my home country are max 16 days. If there are any waiting times to be concerned about for immigrant visas I assume that's a good indication that wait times in my home country will be very low.

The only other downside maybe I saw for the CP process would be just that there may be more scrutiny, but I guess as a European who has no criminal history, no unusual travel history to countries of concern to the US, 10+ years of software engineer work experience, plenty of savings, etc (basically no disqualifying factors), the amount of scrutiny given to my case would likely be very low and not be something considering as a justification to do the AOS route instead, where you likely are going to end up having to prove some of that stuff anyways regardless unless you have a waived interview and waived interviews don't seem to be the norm from the experiences on the spreadsheets. Reading Simon's experience on his blog about that definitely makes me feel like the CP process is better for us. Traveling, taking a lot of time off etc isn't an issue for us. The process definitely seems more straightforward with less uncertainty and waiting around for status updates.
1. No you cannot pick any embassy/consulate to interview at. Interview location will be based on the listed current home address on the DS260, or chargeability country in the case of someone currently based in the US who decides to list their US address as their current address and not the foreign residence address.
2. Scrutiny level is the same regardless of the processing option you end up going with. And when it comes to cases being stuck in AP as a matter of fact, AOS has an advantage over CP in that case as there are a couple of follow-up options available to AOS which CP does not have. Also, USCIS often try to expedite AOS cases stuck in AP as the FY ends, embassies do not do that for CP.

By the way, I’ll recommend you take a look at the pros and cons of AOS vs CP listed on the AOS Process Spreadsheet if you haven’t done so already.

1. No you cannot pick any embassy/consulate to interview at. Interview location will be based on the listed current home address on the DS260, or chargeability country in the case of someone currently based in the US who decides to list their US address as their current address and not the foreign residence address.
2. Scrutiny level is the same regardless of the processing option you end up going with. And when it comes to cases being stuck in AP as a matter of fact, AOS has an advantage over CP in that case as there are a couple of follow-up options available to AOS which CP does not have. Also, USCIS often try to expedite AOS cases stuck in AP as the FY ends, embassies do not do that for CP.

By the way, I’ll recommend you take a look at the pros and cons of AOS vs CP listed on the AOS Process Spreadsheet if you haven’t done so already.
Thanks, I read through that pro/cons part already. I do recognize that in the event of a denial that could be helpful. I was not aware that CP cases could also get stuck in AP. So if you were unlucky enough to get stuck in AP in a CP you could end up losing your green card. While in the AOS, they do try to expedite AOS cases stuck in AP before the end of FY. Although it could come too late in a visa exhaustion.

I guess something to note here would be that, if I understand correctly from the FAQ in the document, let's say if I learned from the VB that I was going to become current in March, I could file my AOS 2 months in advance. In the unlikely event stuff seems to be taking too long and we might be starting to get into trouble on timelines, we could switch to CP at any point? This also works in the other direction, as far as I understood, where you could start with CP and switch to AOS if there are issues with being stuck in AP. But I guess timeline wise, the AOS is likely to take longer so that's the one you'd want to start with if you were going with this strategy of switching processing if it looked like it was going to take too long as you'd likely get a CP interview quickly once you switch, assuming KCC is relatively quick to recognize your change of process.

Thanks, I read through that pro/cons part already. I do recognize that in the event of a denial that could be helpful. I was not aware that CP cases could also get stuck in AP. So if you were unlucky enough to get stuck in AP in a CP you could end up losing your green card. While in the AOS, they do try to expedite AOS cases stuck in AP before the end of FY. Although it could come too late in a visa exhaustion.

I guess something to note here would be that, if I understand correctly from the FAQ in the document, let's say if I learned from the VB that I was going to become current in March, I could file my AOS 2 months in advance. In the unlikely event stuff seems to be taking too long and we might be starting to get into trouble on timelines, we could switch to CP at any point? This also works in the other direction, as far as I understood, where you could start with CP and switch to AOS if there are issues with being stuck in AP. But I guess timeline wise, the AOS is likely to take longer so that's the one you'd want to start with if you were going with this strategy of switching processing if it looked like it was going to take too long as you'd likely get a CP interview quickly once you switch, assuming KCC is relatively quick to recognize your change of process.
No you cannot switch from one option to the other once you start the process. Once you submit your AOS package, you cannot switch to CP at that point. Same thing with CP, once the KCC sends your case file to your embassy for a CP interview, you cannot switch to AOS at that point either.

No you cannot switch from one option to the other once you start the process. Once you submit your AOS package, you cannot switch to CP at that point. Same thing with CP, once the KCC sends your case file to your embassy for a CP interview, you cannot switch to AOS at that point either.
Ah ok, got it. Thanks for clearing that up. I guess this comes down mostly to how likely CP vs AOS is to get stuck in AP and how long each one could be delayed in AP for, as once you are in one of them you're stuck in there. The upside of AOS being if you do get stuck, you have high odds of them pushing it through near the end of the FY regardless, which would work assuming there wasn't an exhaustion of visas. I'm not sure how often exhaustion of visas happened historically, I think someone mentioned in the 2023 thread here that the last time it happened was 2017 but we had a lot of COVID years of weird stuff going on in DV lottery where they don't really count as normal datapoints.

Hey there, I have been selected for the 2025 DV lottery, Now I'm trying to fill DS-260 as accurate as possible, and there is a matter with name convention i need help with
I'm a Sudanese and we have no Surname or middle names in our passports everybody have 4 names in one line as your full name, Your name and your father name and grandfather and your grand grandfather name, In my E-DV main entry, I wrote my name as my first name and my father name as my middle name and my grand grand father as surname, Now in DS-260 There's two fields given names and my surname, and i notice a tip says "Your given name includes any first name and any middle name that is listed in your passport" in the application, so should i write my three names as my E-DV entry or should I write my full name: fourth name as surname and the rest as my given names.
1715269202363.png

Hey there, I have been selected for the 2025 DV lottery, Now I'm trying to fill DS-260 as accurate as possible, and there is a matter with name convention i need help with
I'm a Sudanese and we have no Surname or middle names in our passports everybody have 4 names in one line as your full name, Your name and your father name and grandfather and your grand grandfather name, In my E-DV main entry, I wrote my name as my first name and my father name as my middle name and my grand grand father as surname, Now in DS-260 There's two fields given names and my surname, and i notice a tip says "Your given name includes any first name and any middle name that is listed in your passport" in the application, so should i write my three names as my E-DV entry or should I write my full name: fourth name as surname and the rest as my given names.
View attachment 4689
You can write the first 3 names under your given name section and the 4th as last name. You can also write the first two under given name a d the last two as surname. Your call.

Good morning,
We have been selected for DV2025!
I completed form DS-260 yesterday.
One of my children will be 21 in August 2024. .

On the site, I read that: "If you have a child who will soon be 21, you should immediately contact the U.S. embassy or consulate where your interview is scheduled. The U.S. embassy or consulate will determine if an earlier appointment is necessary."

but if the treatment does not begin before October 2024, do you think there will be an issue for my son to receive his visa? Or is it the consular immigration officer who can make the choice of yes or no?

Thanks !
This is going to very much depend on your case number and when it gets current. There is a provision in US immigration law called the child status protection act, which helps prevent children aging out (being ineligible for a visa because they have turned 21] due to delays in visa processing, called the time a petition is pending (ignore that DV is not technically a petition). The effect of this is to remove the processing time from your child’s age to get to a “CSPA age”, and if this is under 21 in the month your case number becomes current, then your child will still be eligible. For DV, this processing time is calculated as :

For DV derivative applicants, the number of days the petition was pending is the period of time between the start of the DV Program registration period and the date of the DV selection letter.

Example:

The DV Program registration period began on Oct. 1, 2012, and the DV selection Letter is dated May 1, 2013.

May 1, 2013 - Oct. 1, 2012 = 7 months

so, I’m not sure exactly what the equivalent for DV2025 is but it’s probably also around 7 months. The effect of this is that your child has 7 months after his birthday - so to March 2025 if my math is correct - which means you need your priority date to be current by March for your child to qualify. (Note it is current date and not interview date that matters here - he is protected even if your interview is later.)

if your priority date is current later than that, once you are lawful permanent residents you can file an immigrant petition for him as an adult son of a LPR. That currently has a wait time of around 8 years before a visa is available, as the number of these visas that can be issued per year is limited in law.

Last edited:
Hello, my partner has been drawn with OC 29xx - which is a terribly high number (we’re pretending like he wasn’t drawn tbh, and it almost feels worse than if not drawn).

Based on some research and guide on your website, I understand that we shouldn’t submit the ds260 until the process is much further along / looking possible for OC’s number to get that high towards the end/become “current” as the declaration of “immigration intent” could be adversarial for future non-immigrant visa classes that we may need. Is there a ds processing/review time that would hold up our ability to get an interview/formally start the process? i.e. how close to the chance of getting a shot at this should we leave it before submitting?

Thanks!
I believe submission of DS260 around March/April should still be fine.