• Hello Members, This forums is for DV lottery visas only. For other immigration related questions, please go to our forums home page, find the related forum and post it there.

DV 2024 AOS (Adjustment of Status) Process Only

Hello, my DV Lottery Case Number is 2024EU00004***. I came to the US on a B-2 tourist visa in November 2022, and 5 months later (in April while still in B2 status) applied for Asylum (Form I-589) Online and got a form I-797C Notice of Action. My B-2 status was set to expire on May 6th.
On May 2nd I showed up for a biometry appointment to submit my fingerprints. A little bit later, on May 6th, I learned my DV submission was selected.

1) Can I do an AOS as soon as my case number is available in the USCIS bulletin while waiting for a USCIS interview?
2) If yes, do I need to submit form DS-260 if I have been in the US since November and plan to stay here until I'm called for an interview?

Thank you!

In addition to @Blade_ ’s above response, I recommend you closely review the Asylum Pending tab/sheet of the AOS Process Spreadsheet. Also take a look at the Asylum Pending tab/sheet of the DV Tracker Spreadsheet (link in the signature section of any of my posts) to read about some of the past selectees who processed AOS from/with asylum pending state.

Hello,
Thank you for all the information regarding AOS. My question is regarding potential out of status after submitting I-485 while waiting for interview. My visa (derivative) expires in end of 2024 May. My spouse is on H1 B and she got selected. She will have a valid status till 2026. Based on the historical trends, it appears our case number will be current in March/April of 2024 and we will waiting for the interview. Will i get in trouble if my visa is expired by a month when i go for interview? If yes, what are my options? I would appreciate your responses.

She will have a valid status till 2026.
Can you clarify if your spouse will have a valid H1B status until 2026, why does your derivative status expire at the end of May 2024?
Will i get in trouble if my visa is expired by a month when i go for interview?
If your status expires while you have submitted your I485 application, you can stay in the US until your case is adjudicated. No problem for attending the interview.

Hello,
Thank you for all the information regarding AOS. My question is regarding potential out of status after submitting I-485 while waiting for interview. My visa (derivative) expires in end of 2024 May. My spouse is on H1 B and she got selected. She will have a valid status till 2026. Based on the historical trends, it appears our case number will be current in March/April of 2024 and we will waiting for the interview. Will i get in trouble if my visa is expired by a month when i go for interview? If yes, what are my options? I would appreciate your responses.
In addition to @Blade_ 's above post:

Visa expiration is irrelevant. Valid status, based on authorized stay - which is shown on your I-94, is one of the factors that determines AOS eligibility. As long as you file for AOS before that authorized stay expires, you should be fine. If your authorized stay (I-94) expires while AOS application is pending, that on its own will not be a problem.

Can you clarify if your spouse will have a valid H1B status until 2026, why does your derivative status expire at the end of May 2024?

Your case needs to be adjudicated by September 30th 2024. If your status expires while you have submitted your I485 application, you can stay in the US until your case is adjudicated.
I and the kids entered on TN and TD's earlier (in 2021 for three yearsf). My spouse also was on TD and then changed her status to H1B recently.

In addition to @Blade_ 's above post:

Visa expiration is irrelevant. Valid status, based on authorized stay - which is shown on your I-94, is one of the factors that determines AOS eligibility. As long as you file for AOS before that authorized stay expires, you should be fine. If your authorized stay (I-94) expires while AOS application is pending, that on its own will not be a problem.
Thank you Mom for the information. My I-94 also expires May'2024 (Canadian on TN). So it appears as long as the status of Main and derivatives are valid at the time of filling I-485, we should be fine going to the interview with a out status situation right?

Thank you Mom for the information. My I-94 also expires May'2024 (Canadian on TN). So it appears as long as the status of Main and derivatives are valid at the time of filling I-485, we should be fine going to the interview with a out status situation right?
That is correct - technically speaking, you will be in what is know as adjustment pending and not accruing an unlawful presence. You just need to be aware of not having a fall back status if attending the interview after the current status has expired and the GC application is denied for some reason.

In addition, you will obviously have to stop working following the I-94 expiration, unless of course you file for and receive an approved EAD based on your pending AOS application.

That is correct - technically speaking, you will be in what is know as adjustment pending and not accruing an unlawful presence. You just need to be aware of not having a fall back status if attending the interview after the current status has expired and the GC application is denied for some reason.
Would be it be possible to apply for H4 (since my spouse has a valid H1B status till 2026) while staying in USA if the GC application gets denied or do i have to leave the country and start all over again? or is there something i can do now to prepare for a fall back option? I really appreciate for your time and high quality responses.

Would be it be possible to apply for H4 (since my spouse has a valid H1B status till 2026) while staying in USA if the GC application gets denied or do i have to leave the country and start all over again? or is there something i can do now to prepare for a fall back option? I really appreciate for your time and high quality responses.
If your application get's denied and you have no fall back option, you are considered out of status. You can apply for a derivative visa status before your current status is expired.

You will have no status to change from at that point if the GC were to be denied, so you will need to depart from the US and initiate your return on H4 from outside. Having a valid status throughout the AOS processing duration is what is often recommended for folks. If you're okay with not working, you can initiate the H4 COS a couple of months prior to AOS filing.

Thank you again. Can I apply for the status change from TN to H4 after applying I-485? or it needs to be done before applying for I-485? Can i also apply for EAD after I submit I-485? Does submitting DS-260 now create further complications to changing the status from TN to H4?

Last edited:
Hi everyone. I have been selected in the 2024 DV lottery and I am currently in US on F1 visa. I am going to process for AOS. I was in Jacksonville when I applied for DV so my address is Jacksonville but currently, I am residing in Texas so do I need to apply for address change? Or just can set different address in DS260? Or is there something else I need to do? Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.

Thank you again. Can I apply for the status change from TN to H4 after applying I-485? or it needs to be done before applying for I-485? Can i also apply for EAD after I submit I-485? Does submitting DS-260 now create further complications to changing the status from TN to H4?
Is there even a possibility to renew my TN before submitting I-485?

1. Yes you could, personally I would initiate the COS prior to AOS filing, the COS will take precedent over the AOS application (in case of AOS denial).
2. You could apply for an AOS based EAD with or after I-485 submission - bear in mind it could take several months before the EAD application gets approved.
3. It shouldn't

p.s. number your questions when you have more than one per post.

Is there even a possibility to renew my TN before submitting I-485?
I have no idea, that question is outside the realm of the DV based AOS processing guidance that I provide here. You might want to consult an experienced immigration lawyer to help you figure things out in terms of your status prior to filing for AOS (note: I'm not saying you'll need the services of the immigration lawyer to go through the AOS process, the consultation is to help you better understand your options in terms of maintaining your status).

Hi everyone. I have been selected in the 2024 DV lottery and I am currently in US on F1 visa. I am going to process for AOS. I was in Jacksonville when I applied for DV so my address is Jacksonville but currently, I am residing in Texas so do I need to apply for address change? Or just can set different address in DS260? Or is there something else I need to do? Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.
In general, every time you move, you are required to notify USCIS by filing an AR-11, so if you did not previously do submit the change of address form after your move, you need to take care of it now.

In terms of being a DV selectee, the old or new address is irrelevant. If submitting the DS260, you just simply fill in your new/current address.

In general, every time you move, you are required to notify USCIS by filing an AR-11, so if you did not previously do submit the change of address form after your move, you need to take care of it now.

In terms of being a DV selectee, the old or new address is irrelevant. If submitting the DS260, you just simply fill in your new/current address.
Hi mom,

I think this applies to me as well. I am moving out of my apartment soon. The 1NL letter has this address. I have not filed anything yet (ds260, payment, etc). Do I still need to file AR-11?

Hi mom,

I think this applies to me as well. I am moving out of my apartment soon. The 1NL letter has this address. I have not filed anything yet (ds260, payment, etc). Do I still need to file AR-11?
"All noncitizens in the United States must report a change of address to USCIS within 10 days (except A and G visa holders and visa waiver visitors) of moving. This helps ensure that we mail important notices and documents to the right place."