• Hello Members, This forums is for DV lottery visas only. For other immigration related questions, please go to our forums home page, find the related forum and post it there.

DV 2024 AOS (Adjustment of Status) Process Only

Hello everyone, and thank you for this wonderful resource! The spreadsheet has been a North Star.

I have been selected for Europe, case number 5XXX. Am currently resident in the United States on a H1B. Decided to proceed with AOS for reasons of convenience and given that we both have a generous amount of time left on our visas.

My husband and I submitted the DS-260 this past Wednesday (24th), and I just mailed our DV processing fee money order, with our medicals booked for Tuesday.

I wanted to check;
1) Steps are correct thus far
2) I was a little spooked with the money order, as you have to specify who it is payable to. This is not explicitly referenced within the DOS instructions, however as the address commences with 'U.S. Department of State', this is who I made it payable to. Can I confirm that this was correct?
1. Correct.
2. Correct.

side note: Be sure to thoroughly go through the AOS Process Spreadsheet if you're yet to do so

1. Correct.
2. Correct.

side note: Be sure to thoroughly go through the AOS Process Spreadsheet if you're yet to do so
Thank you- and phew! I had a minor panic attack when I couldn't definitively verify who to make the cheque payable to.

Final query from me at the moment- I had a very old J1 visa in an expired passport. This passport was not returned to me by the Irish passport service when I last renewed passports. My most recent three US visas are all in my current passport. Would this be an issue for concern, do you think? Based upon the package assembly step 'Copy of expired International Passport - biographic and photograph page (this is only necessary if the expired passport contains your U.S. visa)'

Thank you- and phew! I had a minor panic attack when I couldn't definitively verify who to make the cheque payable to.

Final query from me at the moment- I had a very old J1 visa in an expired passport. This passport was not returned to me by the Irish passport service when I last renewed passports. My most recent three US visas are all in my current passport. Would this be an issue for concern, do you think? Based upon the package assembly step 'Copy of expired International Passport - biographic and photograph page (this is only necessary if the expired passport contains your U.S. visa)'
It shouldn't be an issue.

Hi everyone and thanks for this fantastic forum.
Ive been a lucky winner from OC. Fortunate to get a good number 2024OC000001xx.
My situation is I will be entering the United States early June on my current e3 visa. Visa valid until Mar 24.
I plan on doing the AOS transition.
Im fully aware of not submitting any follow up paperwork for a minimum 90 days.
My question is .
1. Do my family need to be stateside to do AOS, they are all on current e3 visas.
2. Does the 90 day document submission start again for family, or is the 90 days just relevant to me as the primary applicant?
Thanks for taking time to read and answer any of my questions.

My situation is I will be entering the United States early June on my current e3 visa. Visa valid until Mar 24.
My question is .
1. Do my family need to be stateside to do AOS, they are all on current e3 visas.
2. Does the 90 day document submission start again for family, or is the 90 days just relevant to me as the primary applicant?
1. Your family must be residing in the US in order for them to be eligible to file for AOS.
2. No such thing as 90 day rule with regards to AOS filing, it is non binding on USCIS. Check the following posts/threads for previous comments/discussions around the 90 day rule:

Hi, everyone, thank you for creating this source!
I was selected for dv lottery 2024 and currently have tps status in US. I want to go through AOS in US but right now it’s not clear about the prolongation of the TPS status for Ukrainians and my current documents are valid only till October 2023. I want to ask whether it’s possible to submit DS 260 like for a process through Consulate but as soon as TPS is prolonged continue with AOS. Will not it cause any problems or delays I would like to avoid any risks that can delay my process.
Thank you in advance!

Hello all,

Does anyone here have any experience or recommendation on where to do certified translations of documents in the USA?

Hi, everyone, thank you for creating this source!
I was selected for dv lottery 2024 and currently have tps status in US. I want to go through AOS in US but right now it’s not clear about the prolongation of the TPS status for Ukrainians and my current documents are valid only till October 2023. I want to ask whether it’s possible to submit DS 260 like for a process through Consulate but as soon as TPS is prolonged continue with AOS. Will not it cause any problems or delays I would like to avoid any risks that can delay my process.
Thank you in advance!
Yes it is possible to submit the DS260 with an initial CP selection and a switch over to AOS later on before the CN becomes current and the case gets sent to the applicable embassy for a CP interview. Timing will be of essence in such a situation.

Hi,

If you go the AOS route, does USCIS keep your passport while they update/approve your process? Or do you retain the passport and simply take that to the green card interview (once USCIS has completed their steps)?

Hello all,

Does anyone here have any experience or recommendation on where to do certified translations of documents in the USA?
You can do a search on some of the previous DV AOS threads in the forum - you should be able to find translation services some have used in the past. The translation does not need to be done by a professional by the way, a friend or an acquaintance fluent in both English and the language the document is being translated from can also do the translation for you, as long as they signed and attach a certification attesting to their fluency in both languages to the document.

Hi,

If you go the AOS route, does USCIS keep your passport while they update/approve your process? Or do you retain the passport and simply take that to the green card interview (once USCIS has completed their steps)?
USCIS does not hold on to/keep an applicant’s passport - a visa stamp does not get affixed to the passport for AOS like they do for CP

You can do a search on some of the previous DV AOS threads in the forum - you should be able to find translation services some have used in the past. The translation does not need to be done by a professional by the way, a friend or an acquaintance fluent in both English and the language the document is being translated from can also do the translation for you, as long as they signed and attach a certification attesting to their fluency in both languages to the document.
Thanks mom, much helpful.

My question is .
Congratulations on your low number! We got OC16xx.

I’d love to follow along on your process as you’re likely to be a few months ahead of us. We are also considering AOS route.

Hello,

I have been selected EU48xxx, it was my second time, I am a teacher with J1. I am very happy but according with my situation and my High CN, I have a lot of questions and concerns.
As soon as I received the news, I filled out the ds 260 specifying the AOS (05/08/23) according to the letter.
Then I discovered this blog and saw that I had to wait because I have a high CN, so is this going to be a negative point for me?

My situation is as follows: I have one year left on my J1 visa, which will expire at the end of June 2024, so if I understand correctly.
1- What happens if my number is current in July and I had to leave the country, should I take the risk of waiting or I have to leave everything as if I hadn’t been selected?
2- Should I change AOS to CP in June ?
3- My work could help me ?
4- Should I contact a lawyer?
5- And if my CN is current before I am leaving, I have to send AOS process quickly but I still have a chance with my high CN, because between 30000 and 48xxx there are a lot of numbers, and are the files selected according to the numbers in order during this stage?
I am very worried.
I have more questions after reading your reference tools, which are very good work and I thank you very much for it.

6- This summer (July and August) I'm going on vacation to Argentina for two months, is that a problem? And all through the school year I'm used to traveling during school vacations, is that a problem?
7- I also received a stimulus cheque because I work and pay taxes and I have an accountant who added it to me, should I return this money?
8- I have also change my address, what should I do?
9- When I registered, I also put that I had a daughter but she was born in the USA, so I added her on the DS260, did I do the right thing?

I hope you can shed some light on this.
And thank you so much for your time and your job.

Sincerely,

Hello,

I have been selected EU48xxx, it was my second time, I am a teacher with J1. I am very happy but according with my situation and my High CN, I have a lot of questions and concerns.
As soon as I received the news, I filled out the ds 260 specifying the AOS (05/08/23) according to the letter.
Then I discovered this blog and saw that I had to wait because I have a high CN, so is this going to be a negative point for me?

My situation is as follows: I have one year left on my J1 visa, which will expire at the end of June 2024, so if I understand correctly.
1- What happens if my number is current in July and I had to leave the country, should I take the risk of waiting or I have to leave everything as if I hadn’t been selected?
2- Should I change AOS to CP in June ?
3- My work could help me ?
4- Should I contact a lawyer?
5- And if my CN is current before I am leaving, I have to send AOS process quickly but I still have a chance with my high CN, because between 30000 and 48xxx there are a lot of numbers, and are the files selected according to the numbers in order during this stage?
I am very worried.
I have more questions after reading your reference tools, which are very good work and I thank you very much for it.

6- This summer (July and August) I'm going on vacation to Argentina for two months, is that a problem? And all through the school year I'm used to traveling during school vacations, is that a problem?
7- I also received a stimulus cheque because I work and pay taxes and I have an accountant who added it to me, should I return this money?
8- I have also change my address, what should I do?
9- When I registered, I also put that I had a daughter but she was born in the USA, so I added her on the DS260, did I do the right thing?

I hope you can shed some light on this.
And thank you so much for your time and your job.

Sincerely,
There’s quite a bit of rambling between most of your questions (especially 1-5) which makes it kind of hard to answer one by one. So I recommend you slow down and carefully go over the AOS Process Spreadsheet again, allow yourself to digest the information there, gather your thoughts together, then post follow up questions on this thread.

In order to be eligible to proceed with processing AOS, you need to be in a valid status as at the time of filing. Read the pros and cons of AOS vs CP to help you determine which option is best for you. I don’t know if your employer can help you or not. There’s nothing a lawyer can do to help if you’re out of status by the time your CN becomes current.

I have no way of knowing if you were eligible to receive the stimulus payment or not. Your address change is irrelevant at this point. Yes, you’re supposed to list your USC child on your DS260 form.

Hello, my DV Lottery Case Number is 2024EU00004***. I came to the US on a B-2 tourist visa in November 2022, and 5 months later (in April while still in B2 status) applied for Asylum (Form I-589) Online and got a form I-797C Notice of Action. My B-2 status was set to expire on May 6th.
On May 2nd I showed up for a biometry appointment to submit my fingerprints. A little bit later, on May 6th, I learned my DV submission was selected.

1) Can I do an AOS as soon as my case number is available in the USCIS bulletin while waiting for a USCIS interview?
2) If yes, do I need to submit form DS-260 if I have been in the US since November and plan to stay here until I'm called for an interview?

Thank you!

Hello, my DV Lottery Case Number is 2024EU00004***. I came to the US on a B-2 tourist visa in November 2022, and 5 months later (in April while still in B2 status) applied for Asylum (Form I-589) Online and got a form I-797C Notice of Action. My B-2 status was set to expire on May 6th.
On May 2nd I showed up for a biometry appointment to submit my fingerprints. A little bit later, on May 6th, I learned my DV submission was selected.

1) Can I do an AOS as soon as my case number is available in the USCIS bulletin while waiting for a USCIS interview?
2) If yes, do I need to submit form DS-260 if I have been in the US since November and plan to stay here until I'm called for an interview?

Thank you!

Take a look at AOS process spreadsheet linked in the first post. All questions are answered already.

1. Note that Asylum seeker is not a real status. Therefore, you are out of status as of May 6th and technically not eligible for AOS processing of your DV selection. However, some IOs would still process your application. Again, read more about such cases in the spreadsheet. Keeping these in mind, you can fill the application when your CN becomes current, and alternatively you can use the early filling policy (again, see AOS spreadsheet).
2. See AOS spreadsheet FAQ.