• Hello Members, This forums is for DV lottery visas only. For other immigration related questions, please go to our forums home page, find the related forum and post it there.

DV 2024 AOS (Adjustment of Status) Process Only

For:
• Enrollment verification document from school (If applicable)

Can we use electronic transcript, or unofficial transcript or does it have to closed envelope signed and sealed by the university?
Thank you so much
Enrollment verification documents do not need to be in a sealed and signed envelope since such documents could be proof of course registration, payment receipts, etc.

Hi! I need advice on filing I-485.

PERM approved November 2023
I-140 with premium processing filed December 2023

I would like the adjustment of status to be facilitated by a different immigration lawyer, is that possible? Please advise. Thank you.

Hi! I need advice on filing I-485.

PERM approved November 2023
I-140 with premium processing filed December 2023

I would like the adjustment of status to be facilitated by a different immigration lawyer, is that possible? Please advise. Thank you.
This thread is for DV based AOS related questions only.

Glad to know you finally realized your best bet is to file a new I-485, which is what I recommended to you in my very first response to your case. It is easier and much more simple to re-file than trying to chase your tail all over the place.

Your friend's knowledge of immigration is completely off the track, you will do yourself a world of good by not listening to her - a bunch load of nonsense about USCIS being vengeful to cases utilizing the services of a lawyer. What utter nonsense!

Well, it is your call if you want to utilize the services of your lawyer again or not. This is a DIY forum, 95% of the folks who have gone through the process with the aid of this forum have successfully done so without hiring or consulting any immigration lawyer. If your case is straight forward, no out of status issues to contend with, you can read and follow instructions, in addition to being able to fill out the forms yourself, I don't see the need for the services of a lawyer. That is my simple take. As for the remaining 5%? They, like you hired the immigration lawyer before finding this forum, and a lot of them did regret hiring a lawyer in the first place.
Hello @Sm1smom , hello everyone!!! Almost 2 months gone after I started dealing with my situation and with your help!!
So , my pre-history :
1. Won DV2024 , case number was current in October 2023;
2. An earlier filing mistake was done: I-485 receive date for USCIS - 09/08/2023
3. As a result - I got an email about denial on Oct 12th due to running out of visa for Fiscal year 2023 (the officer mixed up fiscal years)

Updates till now:
4. 10/13/2023 : the request was sent to Ombudsman : described the situation, and asked about the help with USCIS to ask them to reopen/reconsider my case
5. 11/01/2023 : Ombudsman replied that they sent the request to USCIS
6. Complete silence during the November ; at the end of November - sent the reminder to Ombudsman
7. 12/01/2023 : Ombudsman replied that haven't heard back from USCIS -
"We are currently waiting for U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS) to respond to us about your case. We sent an initial inquiry to USCIS Dallas Field Office (DAL) on 11/1/2023.

USCIS requested additional time to research the issue. Since USCIS systems do not reflect a decision or notice has been taken to address your concern, we sent a follow-up inquiry to the USCIS office with jurisdiction over your immigration form.

We know that these delays are frustrating and thank you for your patience as we work with USCIS to obtain a substantive response that addresses your concern. We will communicate with you via email when we receive a response from USCIS, or, if needed, when we send a follow up inquiry to USCIS.

The CIS Ombudsman’s office is independent and not part of USCIS, which means that we cannot approve or deny an immigration form or change a decision made by USCIS."

8. 15/01/2023: Ombudsman replied one more time and the same that haven't heard back from USCIS.

So more than 2 months gone since I filled a request to Ombudsman, that includes more than 1.5 month of silence from USCIS after Ombudsman wrote them.

Is it possible that USCIS can ignore Ombudsman ? What I can do more ? And now I'm worried about re-filing I-485: could the Ombudsman's involvement make a mess for my new application?

Hello @Sm1smom , hello everyone!!! Almost 2 months gone after I started dealing with my situation and with your help!!
So , my pre-history :
2. An earlier filing mistake was done: I-485 receive date for USCIS - 09/08/2023
3. As a result - I got an email about denial on Oct 12th due to running out of visa for Fiscal year 2023 (the officer mixed up fiscal years)

Updates till now:
4. 10/13/2023 : the request was sent to Ombudsman : described the situation, and asked about the help with USCIS to ask them to reopen/reconsider my case
6. Complete silence during the November ; at the end of November - sent the reminder to Ombudsman
"We are currently waiting for U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS) to respond to us about your case. We sent an initial inquiry to USCIS Dallas Field Office (DAL) on 11/1/2023.

USCIS requested additional time to research the issue. Since USCIS systems do not reflect a decision or notice has been taken to address your concern, we sent a follow-up inquiry to the USCIS office with jurisdiction over your immigration form.

We know that these delays are frustrating and thank you for your patience as we work with USCIS to obtain a substantive response that addresses your concern. We will communicate with you via email when we receive a response from USCIS, or, if needed, when we send a follow up inquiry to USCIS.

The CIS Ombudsman’s office is independent and not part of USCIS, which means that we cannot approve or deny an immigration form or change a decision made by USCIS."

8. 15/01/2023: Ombudsman replied one more time and the same that haven't heard back from USCIS.

So more than 2 months gone since I filled a request to Ombudsman, that includes more than 1.5 month of silence from USCIS after Ombudsman wrote them.

Is it possible that USCIS can ignore Ombudsman ? What I can do more ? And now I'm worried about re-filing I-485: could the Ombudsman's involvement make a mess for my new application?
You should have refiled as was suggested before. Time is of essence, i485 fees are not, I think.

So , my pre-history :

Updates till now:

USCIS will eventually respond to the Ombudsman inquiry. When? Your guess is as good as mine, in that no one knows - it happens when it happens. I told you back in October when you informed the forum of the denial that your best line of action was to re-file for AOS right away, as against filing for a motion to re-open, or waiting on the ombudsman's assistance at that point - I pointedly told you, you will be sitting on pins and needles waiting on the outcome of those options. If you had re-filed back then, you could have reached out to the Ombudsman to request to withdraw the submitted case assistance request which wouldn't have gone through the system. You did not. Now that request is pending in the system for like 2 months, I'm sorry I have no idea what impact it may or may not have on a newly filed AOS application at this point.

Hello mom,

I am in F1 status with an on-campus employment (research assistantship) that pays stipend 20 hrs per week.

Should I include this information in the employment history section 11 in the i485 form?

Thank you

Hello mom,

I am in F1 status with an on-campus employment (research assistantship) that pays stipend 20 hrs per week.

Should I include this information in the employment history section 11 in the i485 form?

Thank you
Please use your discretion on this.

Hello mom,

Thank you
I was in the same boat and I included this in I-485. No issues, IO just asked if I'm working at the university.

Hello!

As I gathered my documents for my AOS package, I encountered a query. I'm seeking guidance on obtaining certified translations for our birth certificates, diplomas, and any other essential documents requiring translation. I currently possess the original documents in Russian, Kyrgyz, and Turkish.

Your assistance in this matter is greatly appreciated. Thank you in advance for your help.

Hello!

As I gathered my documents for my AOS package, I encountered a query. I'm seeking guidance on obtaining certified translations for our birth certificates, diplomas, and any other essential documents requiring translation. I currently possess the original documents in Russian, Kyrgyz, and Turkish.

Your assistance in this matter is greatly appreciated. Thank you in advance for your help.
Anyone, outside of you or your family members, fluent in both English and the language the document is issued in can undertake the translation. They just need to include a signed statement attesting to their fluency in both English and the non-English language the document has been translated from.

Anyone, outside of you or your family members, fluent in both English and the language the document is issued in can undertake the translation. They just need to include a signed statement attesting to their fluency in both English and the non-English language the document has been translated from
What if we do not have anybody who can include a signed statement?

I have an additional question that requires your guidance. To demonstrate financial support, is it necessary for my husband (an H4 visa holder and a green card selectee) to complete the I-134 form?

What if we do not have anybody who can include a signed statement?
try certified translation services online. A google search "certified translation services" will show up a bunch of them. I emailed them for a quote and got a discount. they charged 20 per page, in a language other than yours, but I think you will be covered!

I have an additional question that requires your guidance. To demonstrate financial support, is it necessary for my husband (an H4 visa holder and a green card selectee) to complete the I-134 form?
An I-134 may not be necessary if he has some other means of demonstrating financial self-sufficiency.