• Hello Members, This forums is for DV lottery visas only. For other immigration related questions, please go to our forums home page, find the related forum and post it there.

DV 2024 AOS (Adjustment of Status) Process Only

Our online account updated to Case Approved today with no interview needed!

Submitted – May 3 (current June)
Biometrics – May 23
Congressional Inquiry – July 16
2nd Congressional Inquiry – August 22
Emailed AOS receipt to Congressman – September 4
Case Approved – September 10

Overall, I thought our application was pretty straightforward, but there are a couple of outliers that I think are worth noting for future reference.
  • We utilized early filing and did NOT include the AOS fee receipt as it hadn’t arrived in time. Application was received and processed.
  • We submitted congressional inquiry 8 weeks after doing biometrics due to no updates.
  • Heard back from congressman within 3 days stating “all is well with application”.
  • Within a week we received a phone call from local FO asking a few random questions about previous residences.
  • Within an hour of that phone call, our kids I-539 (pending extension of stays) were approved. We believe the call was in connection to getting those applications approved before moving on to our I-485s.
  • We waited almost 16 weeks for our background checks to clear – we have no crazy criminal history, are from a US friendly country, etc. Although there are 5 in our family.
  • We were communicating with our Congressman quite frequently and their second update from USCIS was “waiting on background checks to clear, multiple officers working on them, aware of the deadline”. Slightly contradictory from their first message, but we had hope they were working hard for us.
  • After receiving updates through Congressman, we believe our background check file wasn’t even opened/started on until after I-539s were processed.
  • As a last-ditch effort, we emailed our AOS fee receipt to Congressman and asked them to forward to USCIS hoping they would waive interview if they added it to the file. Six days later case approved with no interview.
Lessons learned:
  • USCIS does make phone calls, but please verify who you are talking to before handing over sensitive information. Most people online thought the call we received was spam/fraudulent.
  • If your gut is telling you something is off with the case, go down every avenue to try to move the case along. No one cares about your case as much as you.
  • We threw everything at it – congressional inquiries, calls to Tier 2 officers, etc. I’m glad we made our inquiries when we did. The open communication with our Congressman was so valuable.
  • If you aren’t hearing anything from your Congress person, go to your Senator. Or vice versa.
Thank you for all the resources, the “forum” friendships and the data available. I don’t know if I’ll actually believe it until the card is actually in my hand, but I’m looking forward to not submitting USCIS applic

ations for a few years J

Question:
1. Principal applicants account says “case approved”. Spouse and derivatives say “card being produced”. Is principal applicants account the one to follow for tracking, etc or will each account get updated individually?

Congrats! Took some time for you, but all is well that ends well :)

Also, thanking you mom, @Sm1smom for making the data available and all your awesome suggestions in this process!

Hello everyone,

I am in kinda emergency situation. My mom is selected for DV24. The thing she lives in Turkey and the consulate was not ready to interview for her. So she is with me in michigan US right now. I went to to USCIS office and they said just mail the necessary files and I485 as soon as possible. Once they stamped it before sep 30 she wont lose her green card eligibility. Is that right? do you think is it worth to try?

We will be able to mail all docs (except the receipt from DOS) at 20th of September. Is it too late?

Thank you so much in advance!

Hello everyone,

I am in kinda emergency situation. My mom is selected for DV24. The thing she lives in Turkey and the consulate was not ready to interview for her. So she is with me in michigan US right now. I went to to USCIS office and they said just mail the necessary files and I485 as soon as possible. Once they stamped it before sep 30 she wont lose her green card eligibility. Is that right? do you think is it worth to try?

We will be able to mail all docs (except the receipt from DOS) at 20th of September. Is it too late?

Thank you so much in advance!
Whoever it was you spoke with at the Michigan FO is not knowledgeable about DV based AOS filing and therefore misinformed you. Here's what the USCIS Manual says:
"... a selectee applying for adjustment of status must be allocated a visa number by DOS and adjust status by September 30 (the last day) of the fiscal year for which the DV Program selection is valid. For example, if the noncitizen became a selectee for fiscal year 2021, they would need to become an LPR by September 30, 2021. After September 30, a selectee is no longer eligible for a DV and may not adjust status."

Highly doubtful your mom will be able to complete the process if the documents were to be mailed in today as a matter of fact, considering the steps involved with the process. However, if you don't mind the gamble (with the costs involved), then go ahead and give it a shot.

Tampa FO interview experience. 9/10 overall, don’t stress be prepared and you will do just fine. Officer was very nice. We arrived at 6:45 for 7 am appointment got let in at 7:45 for the interview. She took our oath and reviewed all original documents. Then asked all yes/no i485 questions. She was doing something in the system for quite an awhile. The entire process took about 45 min. At the end of interview she said congratulations you are approved and new card will arrive in 30 days.

We checked our UsCIS online account and in the status it still says ‘interview completed and case is in review’ is this normal ? When or will it change to ‘card being produced’?
Today status changed to 'new card is being produced'. So I guess I can finally celebrate for real now. Even though this process is super stressful having this group as a resource has been great!!!

Dear Sm1smom
Finally got new card being produced today . Thank you for all your work you are doing . Even though sometimes we give u hard time by asking question but whatever u did here helped me a lot… thank u again… good luck for others who are waiting and I hope everyone one of you gets your case approved soon ..

Dear Sm1smom
Finally got new card being produced today . Thank you for all your work you are doing . Even though sometimes we give u hard time by asking question but whatever u did here helped me a lot… thank u again… good luck for others who are waiting and I hope everyone one of you gets your case approved soon ..
See? Patience (while hard to do, I admit) pays after all :). Congratulations and thanks for the update.

Hello everyone,
I have discovered this platform today and found it incredibly helpful for anyone navigating the DV- Lottery AOS process. I am a 2024 Diversity Visa selectee who was previously on an F-1 visa at Mississippi State University. I have successfully adjusted my status and as of yesterday, my status has been updated to “Green Card in Production.” I have not yet received my approval notice though.

I have a question regarding the I-824 Follow-to-Join application. Can I file the I-824 Follow To Join application for my husband at this point? He resides in Kenya and his case would be handled by the US Embassy in Nairobi. Is there still a possibility for him to receive his visa before the end of the fiscal year, or is it too late to attempt this? Additionally, are there any suggestions or steps I can take to expedite the process?

Thank you for your assistance.

Hello everyone,
I have discovered this platform today and found it incredibly helpful for anyone navigating the DV- Lottery AOS process. I am a 2024 Diversity Visa selectee who was previously on an F-1 visa at Mississippi State University. I have successfully adjusted my status and as of yesterday, my status has been updated to “Green Card in Production.” I have not yet received my approval notice though.

I have a question regarding the I-824 Follow-to-Join application. Can I file the I-824 Follow To Join application for my husband at this point? He resides in Kenya and his case would be handled by the US Embassy in Nairobi. Is there still a possibility for him to receive his visa before the end of the fiscal year, or is it too late to attempt this? Additionally, are there any suggestions or steps I can take to expedite the process?

Unfortunately it’s probably way too late for follow to join to succeed. Best way forward is to file a I130 for a spousal visa as soon as you get your green card.

Hello everyone,

Too late to file an I-824 FTJ at this point. However, if you’re able to reach your IO and convince him/her to forward your case file to the US embassy in Nairobi, and at the same time convince the embassy to schedule an interview appointment for your husband, and your husband is able to complete his required medical examination, then there’s a possibility of him getting his derivative IV by the end of the FY.

Hello, I did my bio on aug 23rd, and I have been called on Monday for the interview, scheduled for this Friday 13th. I checked informed delivery and I have 4 USCIS letters coming tomorrow (2 for me, 2 for my wife). Could it be a RFE? Or does the interview letter comes in 2 different letters?
Thank you!

Hello, I did my bio on aug 23rd, and I have been called on Monday for the interview, scheduled for this Friday 13th. I checked informed delivery and I have 4 USCIS letters coming tomorrow (2 for me, 2 for my wife). Could it be a RFE? Or does the interview letter comes in 2 different letters?
Thank you!
dont worry. If u received RFE they wont call u for interview… good luck

Thank you!
The mail could be anything, however there’s no point speculating as to what they could be. So just be patient and wait for them to show up in your mailbox.

@romanpanbread do you have any updates regarding your case from Santa Ana? I went down to Santa Ana Field office; the guards were very nice but they said they wouldn't let anyone in without interview appointments and even helped me with setting up interview with USCIS customer support via phone but the agent on the phone told me to keep waiting.

Hello,
I reside in Starkville, Mississippi State and completed my biometrics at the ASC in Jackson, Mississippi. However, when I check the Field Office Locator using my ZIP code (39759), it indicates that my case is associated with the Memphis, Tennessee field office.
Could you please clarify whether my Interview will indeed be scheduled at the Memphis, Tennessee field office, even though there is a field office closer to me within Mississippi state? I am still awaiting my interview to be scheduled and I want to make travel plans early enough since Memphis TN is further from me.
Thank you

Hello,
I reside in Starkville, Mississippi State and completed my biometrics at the ASC in Jackson, Mississippi. However, when I check the Field Office Locator using my ZIP code (39759), it indicates that my case is associated with the Memphis, Tennessee field office.
Could you please clarify whether my Interview will indeed be scheduled at the Memphis, Tennessee field office, even though there is a field office closer to me within Mississippi state? I am still awaiting my interview to be scheduled and I want to make travel plans early enough since Memphis TN is further from me.
Thank you
Yeah, the zip code is used in determining the FO with jurisdiction of the application.

Hi @Sm1smom,
I have initiated congressional inquiry last week, but Kansas City FO still hasn't replied. Our cases were transferred on August 21st and we did not get any updates afterwards. I also initiated a senatorial inquiry and Tier 2 officer request to call back 2 days ago. There is dead silence from the FO and we are worried about the short time left. What else could I do to get more updates? Should I do ombudsman request? Would that help at all?

Hi Mom,

I received an answer to my last appeal to the congressman:
«Good afternoon,
I was just at a meeting with USCIS yesterday and it was relayed all visa's in this category would be adjudicated by the deadline. There is nothing more for office to do at this time.»

It was a week ago. There are still no changes in my case and I'm losing hope more and more.
What else can I do in my case? Any advice?

Hi Mom,

I received an answer to my last appeal to the congressman:
«Good afternoon,
I was just at a meeting with USCIS yesterday and it was relayed all visa's in this category would be adjudicated by the deadline. There is nothing more for office to do at this time.»

It was a week ago. There are still no changes in my case and I'm losing hope more and more.
What else can I do in my case? Any advice?
You’ve already had an assurance it will be adjudicated by the deadline, which is still 18 days away. What more do you think you want to do?

You’ve already had an assurance it will be adjudicated by the deadline, which is still 18 days away. What more do you think you want to do?
I don't know. This wait is killing me. And I'm afraid that my FO is deliberately delaying this process, expecting the GK to end by that deadline