• Hello Members, This forums is for DV lottery visas only. For other immigration related questions, please go to our forums home page, find the related forum and post it there.

DV 2024 AOS (Adjustment of Status) Process Only

Our online account updated to Case Approved today with no interview needed!

Submitted – May 3 (current June)
Biometrics – May 23
Congressional Inquiry – July 16
2nd Congressional Inquiry – August 22
Emailed AOS receipt to Congressman – September 4
Case Approved – September 10

Overall, I thought our application was pretty straightforward, but there are a couple of outliers that I think are worth noting for future reference.
  • We utilized early filing and did NOT include the AOS fee receipt as it hadn’t arrived in time. Application was received and processed.
  • We submitted congressional inquiry 8 weeks after doing biometrics due to no updates.
  • Heard back from congressman within 3 days stating “all is well with application”.
  • Within a week we received a phone call from local FO asking a few random questions about previous residences.
  • Within an hour of that phone call, our kids I-539 (pending extension of stays) were approved. We believe the call was in connection to getting those applications approved before moving on to our I-485s.
  • We waited almost 16 weeks for our background checks to clear – we have no crazy criminal history, are from a US friendly country, etc. Although there are 5 in our family.
  • We were communicating with our Congressman quite frequently and their second update from USCIS was “waiting on background checks to clear, multiple officers working on them, aware of the deadline”. Slightly contradictory from their first message, but we had hope they were working hard for us.
  • After receiving updates through Congressman, we believe our background check file wasn’t even opened/started on until after I-539s were processed.
  • As a last-ditch effort, we emailed our AOS fee receipt to Congressman and asked them to forward to USCIS hoping they would waive interview if they added it to the file. Six days later case approved with no interview.
Lessons learned:
  • USCIS does make phone calls, but please verify who you are talking to before handing over sensitive information. Most people online thought the call we received was spam/fraudulent.
  • If your gut is telling you something is off with the case, go down every avenue to try to move the case along. No one cares about your case as much as you.
  • We threw everything at it – congressional inquiries, calls to Tier 2 officers, etc. I’m glad we made our inquiries when we did. The open communication with our Congressman was so valuable.
  • If you aren’t hearing anything from your Congress person, go to your Senator. Or vice versa.
Thank you for all the resources, the “forum” friendships and the data available. I don’t know if I’ll actually believe it until the card is actually in my hand, but I’m looking forward to not submitting USCIS applications for a few years J

Question:
1. Principal applicants account says “case approved”. Spouse and derivatives say “card being produced”. Is principal applicants account the one to follow for tracking, etc or will each account get updated individually?

I just added my Field office location.
I am trying to ask some questions and when I type them here, I am not able to post a reply. It says your content cannot be posted because it is spam like.

I just added my Field office location.
I am trying to ask some questions and when I type them here, I am not able to post a reply. It says your content cannot be posted because it is spam like.
Timeline spreadsheet shows your FO as Chicago, IL. The good news is that FO has been approving DV based AOS applications without interview this FY. If you take a look at the spreadsheet, you’ll also observe there’s quite a couple of other cases filed around the same time as you did with the same FO (that is assuming the listed info is accurate though considering it seems some applicants are confusing the Lockbox with the FO), so I think the we will be seeing case approval updates soon from the Chicago FO cases.

After 2 weeks of panic and anxiety checking USCIS account 10 times a day, today my case status finally change to "New Card Is Being Produced"!
I had my interview on 8/29, after the interview the officer said my status is still pending so I guess that's referring to FBI background check.

I wanna thank Sm1smom for answering my question and saved me from sending my package to a wrong lockbox, also these wonderful forums and spreadsheets. Best of luck to all the September brothers and sisters :)

After 2 weeks of panic and anxiety checking USCIS account 10 times a day, today my case status finally change to "New Card Is Being Produced"!
I had my interview on 8/29, after the interview the officer said my status is still pending so I guess that's referring to FBI background check.

I wanna thank Sm1smom for answering my question and saved me from sending my package to a wrong lockbox, also these wonderful forums and spreadsheets. Best of luck to all the September brothers and sisters :)
Congratulations and thanks for the update.

Did the question you were having difficulties posting contain a link, or did the post you were trying to respond to contain a link?

Did the question you were having difficulties posting contain a link, or did the post you were trying to respond to contain a link?
Yeah I think the post I was replying to had a link for the field office locator. I will go ahead and ask the question here.
My wife just completed her bio today and online case status shows biometrics were added to her case as of today.
1. Should I try reaching out to my district representative for update on my case and hers?

Timeline spreadsheet shows your FO as Chicago, IL. The good news is that FO has been approving DV based AOS applications without interview this FY. If you take a look at the spreadsheet, you’ll also observe there’s quite a couple of other cases filed around the same time as you did with the same FO (that is assuming the listed info is accurate though considering it seems some applicants are confusing the Lockbox with the FO), so I think the we will be seeing case approval updates soon from the Chicago FO cases.
Yes, I just want to make sure I mentioned the right FO. On the FO lookup, I typed in my 5 digit zip code of my current physical address in the US and it showed Chicago as my Field office. If they are waiving interviews that's great news!!

Yeah I think the post I was replying to had a link for the field office locator. I will go ahead and ask the question here.
My wife just completed her bio today and online case status shows biometrics were added to her case as of today.
1. Should I try reaching out to my district representative for update on my case and hers?
Yeah, the platform's built-in anti spam coding does not allow relatively new accounts to put up posts with links, that is why you were having that issue.

By district representative, do you mean initiating a congressional case inquiry? If yes, there's no harm doing so at this point.

Yeah, the platform's built-in anti spam coding does not allow relatively new accounts to put up posts with links, that is why you were having that issue.

By district representative, do you mean initiating a congressional case inquiry? If yes, there's no harm doing so at this point.
Thank you for your advice. Would it make more sense to add both mine and my wife's receipt numbers in the same congressional inquiry? Or send 2 inquiries separately?
Thank you.

Just trying to get the live agent via EMMA. I find it is usually less wait in the morning.

I first asked the live agent whether my bio appointment was scheduled and when is the appointment. Once the live agent confirmed it had been scheduled. I explained to the live agent my situation (DV-2024 and it is approaching to the deadline) and asked if it is possible to receive the electronic appointment notice. The live agent opened a request for me and the notice was sent to my email address in 5 min.

In my husband's case, he is not as lucky as I am. His live agent insisted that he needed to wait until he confirmed that the mail got lost even though he had already explained the situation. Therefore, I searched the appointment availability in USCIS account and found that there were open time slots tomorrow. Therefore, I just submitted the rescheduling requests for both of us. And by no time, almost immediately, we got the notice via email.

From history, it seems the rescheduling is not suggested. So, I think connecting with a live agent and then asking for electronic notice should be sufficient.
Thank you so much for this information! I wish I knew it earlier!
My status still:

“Case Was Received​

On July 19, 2024, we received your Form I-485, Application to Register Permanent Residence or Adjust Status…”

But I contacted live agent this morning, asked about my bio appointment, requested a notice by email and once I received it, I rescheduled it from September 19th to tomorrow.
Your post was really helpful!

Thank you so much for this information! I wish I knew it earlier!
My status still:

“Case Was Received​

On July 19, 2024, we received your Form I-485, Application to Register Permanent Residence or Adjust Status…”

But I contacted live agent this morning, asked about my bio appointment, requested a notice by email and once I received it, I rescheduled it from September 19th to tomorrow.
Your post was really helpful!
Glad it works for you!
Hopefully, we all get green cards by the end of this month

Hi mom,
just have a question regarding adjustment of status. Do all if not most I-485 cases based on diversity visa get adjudicated before the September 30 due date timeline or do they just give denial letter after September 30th for the cases that they weren't able to adjudicate in time. Thank you again for all your help!

Hi mom,
just have a question regarding adjustment of status. Do all if not most I-485 cases based on diversity visa get adjudicated before the September 30 due date timeline or do they just give denial letter after September 30th for the cases that they weren't able to adjudicate in time. Thank you again for all your help!
Denial letter gets issued (could be several days/weeks or couple of months later) for any case USCIS is unable to adjudicate as required by the end of the applicable FY.