• Hello Members, This forums is for DV lottery visas only. For other immigration related questions, please go to our forums home page, find the related forum and post it there.

DV 2024 AOS (Adjustment of Status) Process Only

The officer told me that FBI background check is complete and only namecheck is pending. I didnt know there is difference. Also Do you know how long it usually take if officer requests expediation? Thanks
Both the biometric check and biographic check (FBI check) all part of what makes up the background check is all I'm trying to explain to you - you can take a look at the Background Check tab of the AOS Process Spreadsheet. There's no way to tell how long the expedited request may or could take, it all depends on the different layers of the additional checks that may be required to be conducted.

Today, we had our interview at the Seattle FO. Upon entering the building, we received our queue number and proceeded to the second floor. While there were many people waiting for their interviews, it seemed that most were there for naturalization purposes, as they weren’t carrying large packages of documents. After about 30 minutes of waiting, we were called in. The IO was nice and friendly. She began by the oath and then proceeded with questions related to our Form I-485. She confirmed details such as the last date of our entry into the U.S., the date of our marriage, and when I started my current job. Although I had brought all original documents and copies, she did not request to see any of them. She concluded the interview with a series of yes/no questions from the I-485.

The entire interview lasted around 20 minutes. Before we left, I asked about when we might receive a decision. The IO mentioned that, she would make an effort to complete everything by the end of the day and she is aware of the last year's incident. She also noted that if she needed any additional information, she would reach out to us.

Upon returning home, we were thrilled to see that our status had changed to "New Card Is Being Produced."

I am incredibly grateful to have discovered this forum and knowing that I wasn’t alone during this process. Though I haven’t posted much, I’ve found answers to all my questions here. A special thanks to @Sm1smom for the invaluable AOS spreadsheet and guidance! I wish everyone the best of luck and hope you all receive good news soon.

It doesn't look fair that a person with a number for September was interviewed today and received a positive decision, and someone has been waiting for several months and there is no news. I'm happy for him, but I'm jealous and very sad

Today, we had our interview at the Seattle FO. Upon entering the building, we received our queue number and proceeded to the second floor. While there were many people waiting for their interviews, it seemed that most were there for naturalization purposes, as they weren’t carrying large packages of documents. After about 30 minutes of waiting, we were called in. The IO was nice and friendly. She began by the oath and then proceeded with questions related to our Form I-485. She confirmed details such as the last date of our entry into the U.S., the date of our marriage, and when I started my current job. Although I had brought all original documents and copies, she did not request to see any of them. She concluded the interview with a series of yes/no questions from the I-485.

The entire interview lasted around 20 minutes. Before we left, I asked about when we might receive a decision. The IO mentioned that, she would make an effort to complete everything by the end of the day and she is aware of the last year's incident. She also noted that if she needed any additional information, she would reach out to us.

Upon returning home, we were thrilled to see that our status had changed to "New Card Is Being Produced."

I am incredibly grateful to have discovered this forum and knowing that I wasn’t alone during this process. Though I haven’t posted much, I’ve found answers to all my questions here. A special thanks to @Sm1smom for the invaluable AOS spreadsheet and guidance! I wish everyone the best of luck and hope you all receive good news soon.
Congratulations and thanks for the update.

We have our interview coming up next week, one question that keeps bugging me is "What was the last date of your entry into the U.S?". We have been on E2 status since April 23, so there are no issues or gaps in our status now or in the past.

On our I485 form we submitted the dates as per the travel history on the i94 website, which for my husband is 04/23, for me 07/23 (travelled to canada last year) and my daughter 07/24 (cruise). All of us went on a cruise in 07/24 (before we submitted our I485 docs and before we even knew our # would become current in Sept), at the port of entry we proactively asked if our i94 or travel histrroy will be updated with this entry and they said 'no' because this is a closed loop. However, my daughter's history is showing this entry date but ours is not. The lawyer said we should stick to offical history dates.

Do we proactively advise the IO officer of this incosistency for my husband and I? if they ask "What was the last date of our entry into the U.S?" I can print a copy of our cruise tickets to show.

Its making me worry that our lawyer gave us the wrong advice to enter the date from the i94 site travel history site and not the techinical departure/reentry.

Am I overthinking this for nothing? Can the IO react negatively regarding this small detail?

Last edited:
We have our interview coming up next week, one question that keeps bugging me is "What was the last date of your entry into the U.S?". We have been on E2 status since April 23, so there are no issues or gaps in our status now or in the past.

On our I485 form we submitted the dates as per the travel history on the i94 website, which for my husband is 04/23, for me 07/23 (travelled to canada last year) and my daughter 07/24 (cruise). All of us went on a cruise in 07/24 (before we submitted our I485 docs and before we even knew our # would become current in Sept), at the port of entry we proactively asked if our i94 or travel histrroy will be updated with this entry and they said 'no' because this is a closed loop. However, my daughter's history is showing this entry date but ours is not. The lawyer said we should stick to offical history dates.

Do we proactively advise the IO officer of this incosistency for my husband and I? if they ask "What was the last date of our entry into the U.S?" I can print a copy of our cruise tickets to show.

Its making me worry that our lawyer gave us the wrong advice to enter the date from the i94 site travel history site and not the techinical departure/reentry.

Am I overthinking this for nothing? Can the IO react negatively regarding this small detail?
Did you show your passport when you came back on land?

Did you show your passport when you came back on land?
yes I did show it when I departed, when we returned they just did bio scans of our face and didn't scan our passports. this entry was shown on my daughter's passport and not ours

Last edited:
Hi mom, I got a call from the USCIS officer (from NJ FO) and he told me he will send the case to Kentucky for approval 2 weeks ago but we didn't hear anyhting after that. Is it how it works? As far as I knew, it was the FO who needs to approve not the Kentucky but I am confused at this time

Hi mom, I got a call from the USCIS officer (from NJ FO) and he told me he will send the case to Kentucky for approval 2 weeks ago but we didn't hear anyhting after that. Is it how it works? As far as I knew, it was the FO who needs to approve not the Kentucky but I am confused at this time
That’s a weird call, I have to say. You mean someone called from your FO just to tell you they will send the case to KCC for approval and nothing else?

Anyways, FO does the AOS approval. They however request the KCC file from KCC before the AOS application can be approved. So maybe the person that called meant they needed to request your KCC file first.

That’s a weird call, I have to say. You mean someone called from your FO just to tell you they will send the case to KCC for approval and nothing else?

Anyways, FO does the AOS approval. They however request the KCC file from KCC before the AOS application can be approved. So maybe the person that called meant they needed to request your KCC file first.
so how it worked is on Saturday the 24th Aug, we received a call from the officer asking about sending marriage pics and the DV fee receipt which we didn't include to his email. He told us after that he can request KCC to approve the case. But he called us again last wednesday to clarify if we actually got married after the dv results and some other clarifying questions but no update since then. That's why I wanted to understand how it works since September is already here and if congressional inquiry would help

so how it worked is on Saturday the 24th Aug, we received a call from the officer asking about sending marriage pics and the DV fee receipt which we didn't include to his email. He told us after that he can request KCC to approve the case. But he called us again last wednesday to clarify if we actually got married after the dv results and some other clarifying questions but no update since then. That's why I wanted to understand how it works since September is already here and if congressional inquiry would help
I see. You already have direct access to the IO which you can use to follow up on your case. I don’t see any point in initiating a congressional inquiry which is basically a tool for obtaining case updates. And the truth is I think you just need to be patient considering he gave you a follow up call about a week ago.

I see. You already have direct access to the IO which you can use to follow up on your case. I don’t see any point in initiating a congressional inquiry which is basically a tool for obtaining case updates. And the truth is I think you just need to be patient considering he gave you a follow up call about a week ago.
Hi @Sm1smom ! I just checked the cashier's check today for any updates and it's still not cashed. I was wondering is it logical to refund the check at the end of this week, as I don't think even if it will be cashed next week my case will be able to be approved till the end of September, what do recommend from previous experiences? Thank you in advance,

Hi @Sm1smom ! I just checked the cashier's check today for any updates and it's still not cashed. I was wondering is it logical to refund the check at the end of this week, as I don't think even if it will be cashed next week my case will be able to be approved till the end of September, what do recommend from previous experiences? Thank you in advance,
You usually cannot stop a cashier’s check. The check is drawn on the bank, not on your account (that would be a personal check).

Like Susie already responded, in general you can’t stop or void a cashier’s check. You however can still approach your bank directly to find out what they’re able to do for you. I’m sorry to learn your package still hasn’t been accepted by now.

Hi mom,

According to information in my uscis account, a notice for my old application (which was denied and has been reopened as you may recall) has been sent on August 13 but I still didn't receive anything. Given the very short time left, can I use e-request to request a copy now instead of waiting for September 12?

In the notice it says i can do this if I don't receive it by Sep 12 but I'm afraid it will be too late as it will also require some time to follow the instructions in the notice (especially if it is a NOID or RFE). Thanks.
Any update on this notice? Did you receive it yet, or are you still waiting?

Hi all,

I wanted to share my experience with a Tier 2 expedite request in case it helps someone. I had my interview on August 12th and hadn't received any updates since. This week, my EAD expired, and I had to take unpaid leave from my job. I submitted a Tier 2 inquiry on August 23rd, requesting an expedite due to financial loss. Yesterday, September 3rd, a Tier 2 officer called me. (It used to take 2 days for urgent Tier 2 callbacks; now it takes 10.)

The officer explained that unpaid leave doesn’t qualify as severe financial loss since my EAD was issued on OPT, not with my I-485. They can only submit a financial loss claim if the EAD was issued with the I-485. So, the expedite request was denied.

The officer told me not to worry since it's a DV case and I should hear about my interview soon, as field offices tend to schedule these in September. I was surprised because I’ve already had my interview! When I mentioned this, the officer said, “Oh, sometimes the system doesn’t have updates. Don’t worry, we’re aware of the deadline.”

Hope this helps! Fingers crossed for all of us!

Hi Mom!

I am the only one with the Kansas City FO on the spreadsheet so I wanted to see if you have more information from previous years and how DV AOS processed at this FO. My case is already on the spreadsheet. Mine and my wife's cases were received by Kansas City FO on August 21st per USCIS agent, but the only update on our accounts shows "fingerprints taken" as of August 6th. We submitted I-765 as well but didn't receive our EAD cards or anything yet, which I have seen many people received in a month or so. We have not received any calls or interview letters yet. I filed a casework request with congressman yesterday and waiting for a response. Is there anything else we can do to get more details about our cases? From your experience with previous years DV AOS cases, is it normal for KC FO to take this long? I am just worried about the tight deadline. Thank you!

Hi Mom!

I am the only one with the Kansas City FO on the spreadsheet so I wanted to see if you have more information from previous years and how DV AOS processed at this FO. My case is already on the spreadsheet. Mine and my wife's cases were received by Kansas City FO on August 21st per USCIS agent, but the only update on our accounts shows "fingerprints taken" as of August 6th. We submitted I-765 as well but didn't receive our EAD cards or anything yet, which I have seen many people received in a month or so. We have not received any calls or interview letters yet. I filed a casework request with congressman yesterday and waiting for a response. Is there anything else we can do to get more details about our cases? From your experience with previous years DV AOS cases, is it normal for KC FO to take this long? I am just worried about the tight deadline. Thank you!
Receipt or non-receipt of the EAD is not an indication of what could be going on the AOS itself, since the FOs do not process the EAD application, this is done by the NBC.

Taking a look at some of the past Timeline spreadsheets can provide some insight into how a specific FO handled past DV based AOS cases, in situations where there are no other cases listed on the current Timeline spreadsheet (links to past Timeline spreadsheets are listed on the AOS Process Spreadsheet). On the 2023 Timeline spreadsheet for instance, there are 3 cases listed with the Kansas, MO FO. The good news is that FO waived the interviews in 2023. The not so encouraging news is the process duration. For the 1st listed case, Lockbox to CPO took 197 days, 2nd case took 211 days, and the 3rd one took 42 days. I have no idea as to why the first two cases took so long (maybe due to pending background check clearance? I don't know).

Receipt or non-receipt of the EAD is not an indication of what could be going on the AOS itself, since the FOs do not process the EAD application, this is done by the NBC.

Taking a look at some of the past Timeline spreadsheets can provide some insight into how a specific FO handled past DV based AOS cases, in situations where there are no other cases listed on the current Timeline spreadsheet (links to past Timeline spreadsheets are listed on the AOS Process Spreadsheet). On the 2023 Timeline spreadsheet for instance, there are 3 cases listed with the Kansas, MO FO. The good news is that FO waived the interviews in 2023. The not so encouraging news is the process duration. For the 1st listed case, Lockbox to CPO took 197 days, 2nd case took 211 days, and the 3rd one took 42 days. I have no idea as to why the first two cases took so long (maybe due to pending background check clearance? I don't know).
Thank you for your response. I will also look at the previous spreadsheets to find more details. Hopefully, we can get some good news soon.

Had Interview today in San Diego. The officer was very nice and she asked for original documents which I submitted. After that she asked i485 questions and said everything looks good but FBi namecheck is not complete yet and she ll request it to be expediated. She told us to keep checking online within one week.
Did anyone had issue with FBI namecheck? my biometric background had been cleared but namecheck is pending still.
Hello Sanjar, I'm in San Diego too and same month CN September, deadline is approaching, did you file any congressman request to expedite your case?

thank you