• Hello Members, This forums is for DV lottery visas only. For other immigration related questions, please go to our forums home page, find the related forum and post it there.

DV 2024 AOS (Adjustment of Status) Process Only

I was selected for the DV visa 2024. I am currently studying in the US on a F-1 visa. My I-20 is still valid, however my visa stamp is expired. I have an Italian citizenship. I talked to a couple of different lawyers about this before going ahead with one. They told me to not do anything until my number went current and so that's what I did. They also suggested to do the adjustment of status since leaving the US I risk not being able to come back due to my expired visa in case I don't get approved for the green card.

Since I did not do anything until my number went current, I am rushing to get everything done now. My number went current for September. I am still waiting for the DOS receipt and for the doctor to give me the I-693 to send everything to USCIS. In all honesty my chances at this point seem extremely small. I wanted to know if it was possible to go through consular processing at this point. I have already filed the DS-260 but I am not sure what do do after and if it is even possible at this point.

I was selected for the DV visa 2024. I am currently studying in the US on a F-1 visa. My I-20 is still valid, however my visa stamp is expired. I have an Italian citizenship. I talked to a couple of different lawyers about this before going ahead with one. They told me to not do anything until my number went current and so that's what I did. They also suggested to do the adjustment of status since leaving the US I risk not being able to come back due to my expired visa in case I don't get approved for the green card.

Since I did not do anything until my number went current, I am rushing to get everything done now. My number went current for September. I am still waiting for the DOS receipt and for the doctor to give me the I-693 to send everything to USCIS. In all honesty my chances at this point seem extremely small. I wanted to know if it was possible to go through consular processing at this point. I have already filed the DS-260 but I am not sure what do do after and if it is even possible at this point.

It’s way too late for consular processing, all the interview slots for September were finalized weeks ago. It’s a pity you did not find this forum first when you would have learnt you could file earlier, some weeks back, it’s not clear why you waited though to get the medical done and pay the fee even if you thought you could not file before September. All you can really do now is try to get everything in ASAP and hope.

Answered in your other thread

It’s way too late for consular processing, all the interview slots for September were finalized weeks ago. It’s a pity you did not find this forum first when you would have learnt you could file earlier, some weeks back, it’s not clear why you waited though to get the medical done and pay the fee even if you thought you could not file before September. All you can really do now is try to get everything in ASAP and hope.
To be honest, I only waited bc the lawyer told me I can’t do anything until my number goes current. I am honestly so disappointed. I’m just concerned that filing for aos will inevitably show dual intent and if I ever want to renew my F-1 visa I won’t be able to.

To be honest, I only waited bc the lawyer told me I can’t do anything until my number goes current. I am honestly so disappointed. I’m just concerned that filing for aos will inevitably show dual intent and if I ever want to renew my F-1 visa I won’t be able to.
unfortunately, you learnt the hard way that many US immigration lawyers don’t know very much about the diversity visa process.
You already showed immigrant intent when you submitted the DS260.

Hello Mom,

I finally received my Green Card yesterday after a week of waiting. However, I have not yet received my SSN. I answered "yes" when asked about this on the I-485 form, so I am unsure why I have not received it yet.

Could you please advise me on what I should do? Should I continue to wait, or should I visit the SSA to inquire about my SSN?

Hello Mom,

I finally received my Green Card yesterday after a week of waiting. However, I have not yet received my SSN. I answered "yes" when asked about this on the I-485 form, so I am unsure why I have not received it yet.

Could you please advise me on what I should do? Should I continue to wait, or should I visit the SSA to inquire about my SSN?
It comes from a different office. Give it another week or two then inquire at a SS office if you still haven’t received it.

That's me. They called me yesterday at 2.53pm and offered me 9/3 interview at 9am. I immediately agreed and they said they will send the letter in the mail.
So even though the person who called me said they would send the interview letter in the mail, it hasn't arrived yet and tomorrow is a holiday so I don't expect it then either. My online case status has also not been updated since doing biometrics. Since my interview time is 9am Tuesday and I don't think anything opens until 8am Tuesday, that's a bit of a tight timeline to try to call and get the letter emailed to me before the interview.
1. Should I just go to the interview on Tuesday morning anyway even though I don't have the interview letter?
2. If I go I assume I should just look up the FO address based on my zip code, and take documents based on information in the 'interview tips' tab on the google doc?

So even though the person who called me said they would send the interview letter in the mail, it hasn't arrived yet and tomorrow is a holiday so I don't expect it then either. My online case status has also not been updated since doing biometrics. Since my interview time is 9am Tuesday and I don't think anything opens until 8am Tuesday, that's a bit of a tight timeline to try to call and get the letter emailed to me before the interview.
1. Should I just go to the interview on Tuesday morning anyway even though I don't have the interview letter?
2. If I go I assume I should just look up the FO address based on my zip code, and take documents based on information in the 'interview tips' tab on the google doc?
1. Yes.
2. Yes. And anything else you personally feel may be of help to your case.

unfortunately, you learnt the hard way that many US immigration lawyers don’t know very much about the diversity visa process.
You already showed immigrant intent when you submitted the DS260.
My only option right now is to do the AOS. Since I already showed immigrant intent I don't have anything to lose. I am waiting for the receipt from the DOS, or does the customer receipt from the money order suffice?

Hello,
I am à lucky winner of dev 2024 based in USA. I am doing pas sent my package on 08/23, I noticed that ma money orders have been cashed on 08/30. My husband is based in Europe, my goal is to do follow to join application for him. Given the short time left, I reached out to congressman office this week seeking for help to expedite my case processing, allowing me get approval before end of fiscal year and with at least 1 week before 09/30 so my husband could have the time to get an interview before the end of September.

I looking for any advice from those who when through follow to join process, wheat can I anticipate while waiting for my case.

You might ask whyI submitted late, the reason is because I initially selected CP so my my husband, kids and I à could get the interview at the same time. But unfortunately my country did not have interviews left, so I decided to move to OAS at the last minute.

Thanks for your help.

Last edited:
Hello,
I am à lucky winner of dev 2024 based in USA. I am doing pas sent my package on 08/23, I noticed that ma money orders have been cashed on 08/30. My husband is based in Europe, my goal is to do follow to join application for him. Given the short time left, I reached out to congressman office this week seeking for help to expedite my case processing, allowing me get approval before end of fiscal year and with at least 1 week before 09/30 so my husband could have the time to get an interview before the end of September.

I looking for any advice from those who when through follow to join process, wheat can I anticipate while waiting for my case.

You might ask whyI submitted late, the reason is because I initially selected CP so my my husband, kids and I à could get the interview at the same time. But unfortunately my country did not have interviews left, so I decided to move to OAS at the last minute.

Thanks for your help.
Nothing else you can do at this point other than keep your fingers crossed and hope you actually get to successfully complete the process yourself by the end of the FY. The truth is even if you’re able to complete the process with one week to spare like you’re hoping, do you honestly believe your embassy will be able process your husband for FTJ, considering you already stated the reason you switched to AOS was because your US home embassy has no interview slots left for CP?

The FTJ process can be quite stressful and intense, even FY ending has not been a factor to contend with. My recommendation would be to focus on getting the process completed for yourself for now. If you’re able to successfully complete your own process, you’ll be able to sponsor your husband as a LPR, yes that process is much more longer and more expensive, but it is what it is at this point.

Nothing else you can do at this point other than keep your fingers crossed and hope you actually get to successfully complete the process yourself by the end of the FY. The truth is even if you’re able to complete the process with one week to spare like you’re hoping, do you honestly believe your embassy will be able process your husband for FTJ, considering you already stated the reason you switched to AOS was because your US home embassy has no interview slots left for CP?

The FTJ process can be quite stressful and intense, even FY ending has not been a factor to contend with. My recommendation would be to focus on getting the process completed for yourself for now. If you’re able to successfully complete your own process, you’ll be able to sponsor your husband as a LPR, yes that process is much more longer and more expensive, but it is what it is at this point.
Thank you. I am already in the spreadsheet I will be updating as the process moves