• Hello Members, This forums is for DV lottery visas only. For other immigration related questions, please go to our forums home page, find the related forum and post it there.

DV 2024 AOS (Adjustment of Status) Process Only

@Sm1smom i have a question. I am currently on OPT which expires in January 2025. Do I need to inform my former school Immigration advisor to cancel the sevis or something? I honestly don’t know how that works transitioning from F1 status to green card. Any other “after green card” advice will be much appreciated.
Also if you are in payroll, let your HR know about the change in status so that they can start taxing you more :) :)

Despite my number EU11000 and the fact that I applied as current in January, sent 2 congressional inquiries and expedite requests, I don't see any progress. Either there is something wrong with my file (I feel like they might not realize that it is dv lottery), or they will treat it as any other I485 application. Honestly, I have no hope left. I guess there is no one who was current in January and didn't get a result. I guess I'll go down in history. I hope no one experiences what I experienced.
I am not a lawyer but have heard having a walk-in to FO and inquiring about your case (if they let you in) some times helps. What response did you get from the congressional inquiry?

Last edited:
I am not a lawyer but have heard having a walk-in to FO and inquiring about your case (if they let you in) some times helps. What response did you get from the congressional inquiry?
Unfortunately, they don't even let you in without an appointment,
They did the first congressional inquary on May 16th. The response received on May 31 is as follows, Please see below the response we received from USCIS.
"Thank you for your inquiry, dated May 15, 2024 on behalf of your constituent, Mr. Xxxx ELMASLAR, regarding her pending form I-485.
U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS) records indicate this application remains pending at the Washington Field Office (WAS) and has been assigned to an officer for adjudication.
If you have not received an update in the next 45 days, please follow up with the Washington Field Office (WAS) by responding to this email or contacting the Washington Field Office."
I'll touch base with you in 45 days but if you receive anything before then please let me know.
45 days after this message, we did not receive a response. On the 46th day, they made another inquiry. We are still waiting

It was your responsibility to have added your own address to the envelope that was supposed to be used in mailing back the receipt to you, not the responsibility of the USPS personnel.

You can first track the payment to confirm if it has been processed. Then try to track the envelope that’s supposed to be used in returning the receipt to you to see if it has been activated. Alternatively once you’ve confirmed the payment has been processed, you can email KCC to request they email back a copy of the receipt.
I know, but I did not know how to do it and asked for a help from the employee.
It was delivered wednesday morning. Is it better to cancel the money order and send again or wait and see what will happen?

I know, but I did not know how to do it and asked for a help from the employee.
It was delivered wednesday morning. Is it better to cancel the money order and send again or wait and see what will happen?
Why cancel, and send in a new payment? It's not like the payment is lost. And I already provided you with information on what you can do.

Despite my number EU11000 and the fact that I applied as current in January, sent 2 congressional inquiries and expedite requests, I don't see any progress. Either there is something wrong with my file (I feel like they might not realize that it is dv lottery), or they will treat it as any other I485 application. Honestly, I have no hope left. I guess there is no one who was current in January and didn't get a result. I guess I'll go down in history. I hope no one experiences what I experienced.
We have also been waiting since September. Maybe it is background checks, maybe something else. Who knows? Try your best. We just made another inquiry through our Senator. We still have almost two whole months. So don't lose hope.

In 2020, my friend didn't even get his appointment or any answer from uscis even though calling uscis multiple times. He walked into Boston FO on September 28, 2020, and told his situation. Luckily, one officer asked if he had his documents with him. He said yes. Then, the officer took him inside to do his interview. The officer saw his J-1 to F-1 case was still pending at the Vermont service center. The officer said they needed to close his F-1 file to approve his green card. The officer finished his interview and told him she would request his F-1 application to her office. But she told him that he needed to give a new biometrics. She made an appointment, and the earliest date was in October, 2 weeks later. She asked him to give a walk-in biometrics the next day at the ASC. So the next day, he gave his biometrics. Then, he went back to the Boston field office at 3 pm on the 29th of September. The officer took him and told him that she had just received his F-1 application, was still adjusting his files, and would update him if anything came up.

On September 30, 2020, a USCIS officer called his phone personally and told him she approved his Green Card and congratulated him on becoming a permanent resident of the US. He received his Green card on October 15, 2020.

That was a hell of a ride.

Greetings everyone,

I'm a DV2024 winner with case number EU31823. Unfortunately, even though my case is current, it looks like I won't get a chance for an interview in Bucharest embassy.

BritSimon mentioned the Adjustment of Status option and recommended a lawyer, whom I have already contacted.

My wife and I have B1/B2 tourist visas and can fly to the USA. However, we are unsure if we still have any chance or if it is too late at this point. From what I understand, everything needs to be done by September 30th.

According to the USCIS website, it can take up to 10 months to process an adjustment of status, which suggests there might not be enough time.

We also have a 4-month-old baby who has a passport but not a tourist visa for the US.

I am going to look through previous posts on this page, but given our time constraints, it would be really helpful if someone who has gone through this process could share how long it took from starting the Adjustment of Status to finishing it.

It would be especially helpful to hear from someone who was current in a previous month and then started AOS. Did your process finish?

I am willing to fly to the USA if we still have a chance to secure this lottery win, but I don't want to make the mistake of going for nothing and paying for the I-485 and other expenses if it’s too late.

Thank you in advance for any response.

Last edited:
Notification of receipt 05/22/2024 Finger capture 06/07/2024 DV balance not included Payment was made but not yet requested I received an email from KCC on 06/18/2024 that USCIS requested my case file to be transferred because I am eligible for status adjustment and KCC cannot transfer my case until my number is valid and I must pay $330 and after that I did not receive any notification I asked ima they told me that my case was transferred to the New York federal office on 06/07/2024 but there is no information or any officer who has opened my case I have tps I did not have any illegal accumulation I want to understand it has been two months of fingerprints and my case was transferred to the New York field office but no update and my case was not reviewed Is it due to early submission and as I told you my case file was requested to be transferred but KCC refused because my number is not valid What should I do do I submit a new application or wait I am afraid that the visas will run out or the time will run out please Help me I'm sorry for taking so long

Hi mom,

I just got my interview notice and am currently going through the medical examination. I realized I have all the required documents except for the I-134 form. The consular didn't ask for this form when issuing my visa; instead, they requested my sponsor firm's bank account details and a statement.

So now, I'm wondering if not having the I-134 form weakens my case or if I really need it. I'd prefer to avoid it if possible because the form asks some questions that are difficult to ask.

Notification of receipt 05/22/2024 Finger capture 06/07/2024 DV balance not included Payment was made but not yet requested I received an email from KCC on 06/18/2024 that USCIS requested my case file to be transferred because I am eligible for status adjustment and KCC cannot transfer my case until my number is valid and I must pay $330 and after that I did not receive any notification I asked ima they told me that my case was transferred to the New York federal office on 06/07/2024 but there is no information or any officer who has opened my case I have tps I did not have any illegal accumulation I want to understand it has been two months of fingerprints and my case was transferred to the New York field office but no update and my case was not reviewed Is it due to early submission and as I told you my case file was requested to be transferred but KCC refused because my number is not valid What should I do do I submit a new application or wait I am afraid that the visas will run out or the time will run out please Help me I'm sorry for taking so long
Hi, I’m sorry you’re still waiting for action from the New York office. If it helps you feel better, I can tell you it’s probably not due to early filing. My case at New York FO was approved in July (my current month) which I had submitted in May. So I doubt you will need to submit a new application.

Your case may be stuck in background check. You can start following steps like congressional inquiry as others have done here. Best of luck.

I can’t help you without your case being added to the Timeline Spreadsheet like I previously requested you do. I’m sorry I don’t have the patience to go through this very long sentence which you’ve written above with everything jumbled together. Follow the simple instructions listed below to request access to the spreadsheet, and add your case there, following which I can proceed with answering your questions (and please stop flooding my inbox with messages asking me to help you!)

1. Open the spreadsheet
2. Click the Green View Only dropdown at the top of the spreadsheet
3. Follow the instructions beneath it

Greetings everyone,

I'm a DV2024 winner with case number EU31823. Unfortunately, even though my case is current, it looks like I won't get a chance for an interview in Bucharest embassy.

BritSimon mentioned the Adjustment of Status option and recommended a lawyer, whom I have already contacted.

My wife and I have B1/B2 tourist visas and can fly to the USA. However, we are unsure if we still have any chance or if it is too late at this point. From what I understand, everything needs to be done by September 30th.

According to the USCIS website, it can take up to 10 months to process an adjustment of status, which suggests there might not be enough time.

We also have a 4-month-old baby who has a passport but not a tourist visa for the US.

I am going to look through previous posts on this page, but given our time constraints, it would be really helpful if someone who has gone through this process could share how long it took from starting the Adjustment of Status to finishing it.

It would be especially helpful to hear from someone who was current in a previous month and then started AOS. Did your process finish?

I am willing to fly to the USA if we still have a chance to secure this lottery win, but I don't want to make the mistake of going for nothing and paying for the I-485 and other expenses if it’s too late.

Thank you in advance for any response.
While I empathize with your situation, I’m sorry I cannot discuss or answer any AOS related questions in this case since you’re not currently based in the US. Entering the US with a NIV while harboring a preconceived intent of filing for AOS is deemed a fraudulent use of that NIV. Will be happy to further guide if you find yourself in the US and return to this forum to ask the same questions at that point.

Hi mom,

I just got my interview notice and am currently going through the medical examination. I realized I have all the required documents except for the I-134 form. The consular didn't ask for this form when issuing my visa; instead, they requested my sponsor firm's bank account details and a statement.

So now, I'm wondering if not having the I-134 form weakens my case or if I really need it. I'd prefer to avoid it if possible because the form asks some questions that are difficult to ask.
I don’t know if you “really need” an I-134 or not. The financial documents listed on the AOS process spreadsheet are to help ensure adequate preparation. Attend your interview with whatever you feel comfortable with, or are able to get in support of your ability to demonstrate you’re not likely to become a public charge should the IO have any concern about that at the time of your interview.

p.s. if would have been nice of you to have returned to share about the outcome of your returned USCIS which you had asked about a couple of weeks ago. Knowing how that was resolved could benefit someone else in a similar situation in the future.

While I empathize with your situation, I’m sorry I cannot discuss or answer any AOS related questions in this case since you’re not currently based in the US. Entering the US with a NIV while harboring a preconceived intent of filing for AOS is deemed a fraudulent use of that NIV. Will be happy to further guide if you find yourself in the US and return to this forum to ask the same questions at that point.

Thank you so much for your response, I understand. Just got a similar answer from lawyer who told me that it's very risky and expensive process with time running out.

Unfortunately, our only chance is that Bucharest embassy receives more 2NLS and they already got 10 on 24th July.

I don't know what is with them this year, they took 2-3 times less cases than in DV23 and DV22.

Very unlucky that they have such a lower performance this year, as well as decision of KCC to raise EU cutoff number from 30.000 to 50.000. Bunch of higher numbers got ahead of us and we were skipped.

Hi, I've a very important question and I'll be really thankful if you answer me quickly,
What does the Bio Notice envelope contain exactly? (How many forms and which forms?)

Hi, I've a very important question and I'll be really thankful if you answer me quickly,
What does the Bio Notice envelope contain exactly? (How many forms and which forms?)
Hi, there should be two papers. The first one is the appointment letter, which resembles your NoA but includes the ASC location, date, and time. The second one is the Applicants Information Worksheet (AIW), where you need to enter your information (name, dob etc).

I don’t know if you “really need” an I-134 or not. The financial documents listed on the AOS process spreadsheet are to help ensure adequate preparation. Attend your interview with whatever you feel comfortable with, or are able to get in support of your ability to demonstrate you’re not likely to become a public charge should the IO have any concern about that at the time of your interview.

p.s. if would have been nice of you to have returned to share about the outcome of your returned USCIS which you had asked about a couple of weeks ago. Knowing how that was resolved could benefit someone else in a similar situation in the future.
I’m still not sure what kind of letter I missed, but since I received the interview notice, I assumed everything was fine. My e-request was returned because there wasn't enough information to verify my identity. I received my interview notice by email, as it hadn't been delivered since the status change two weeks ago. I used EMMA to chat with a live agent and got my interview notice in about 15 minutes. Calling Tier 1 officials on the phone was a complete waste of time.

Hi, I’m sorry you’re still waiting for action from the New York office. If it helps you feel better, I can tell you it’s probably not due to early filing. My case at New York FO was approved in July (my current month) which I had submitted in May. So I doubt you will need to submit a new application.

Your case may be stuck in background check. You can start following steps like congressional inquiry as others have done here. Best of luck.
Thank you well I guess I'll start a congressional investigation thank you again