• Hello Members, This forums is for DV lottery visas only. For other immigration related questions, please go to our forums home page, find the related forum and post it there.

DV 2024 AOS (Adjustment of Status) Process Only

Or you can apply for it individually, then hopefully obtain the green card, and then apply for an I-130 for him. Be prepared to wait in line for more than 3-4 years before he has a chance to receive a family based green card.
The issue with this recommendation is not only the time it will take for the spouse to eventually get the GC via the family based route, which yes is quite significant; it is also quite expensive. Plus the husband will be lying when they apply for the F1 visa, since one is not supposed to be harboring an immigrant intent when applying for a NIV.

You have just 2 months to complete this process. My recommendation would be for your husband to suspend his trip for now while you both file together right away, if you want to give yourselves a shot at getting a DV based GC.
Hi Mom, thanks for the feedback! The thing is, my husband can't suspend his trip. I'm wondering if I could submit my case right now without my husband's form?

The issue with this recommendation is not only the time it will take for the spouse to eventually get the GC via the family based route, which yes is quite significant; it is also quite expensive. Plus the husband will be lying when they apply for the F1 visa, since one is not supposed to be harboring an immigrant intent when applying for a NIV.
That’s correct, and it also brings a lot of risk to the table. That’s why I suggested the family-based approach to her, to illustrate that the best option, as you recommended, is to stay in the country and apply together for this opportunity without complicating matters. Additionally, if her husband applies for Advance Parole, he will lose his F1 status.

P.S.: I'm just a student here and learning from Mom—please ignore my messages if Mom responds to your message.

Hi everyone, I'm looking for some advise for my scenario. I'm selected for FY 2024 and my number will become current in Sep 2024. I included my husband in my lottery entry. Both my husband and I are in currently US (I am on OPT waiting for STEM extension; my husband is on F1 visa). My husband has to travel back to our home country in August for some urgent businesses (including extending his F1 visa because it's expired). With this, can I submit my I-485 first without my husband's form? And then, can my husband submit his form when he's back in the US? Will there be an issue if I file first? I'm thinking this would buy us more time to get ahead for processing but not sure if both of us need to submit together in the same package. Any insight is greatly appreciated! Thank you so much!
Your husband does not have to travel back to extend his visa? when is his i94 valid until? if his authorized stay is expiring soon he can file i539 for extension of status within the country without having to leave. Most F1s as I understand are for duration of stay without a specified end date though (Allowing them to stay till the end of their program then a grace period)
is anything he needs to travel for more urgent than getting a green card - that’s the question

Hi Mom, thanks for the feedback! The thing is, my husband can't suspend his trip. I'm wondering if I could submit my case right now without my husband's form?
Yes, you can go ahead and file alone in that case. However, if your husband must travel (and the trip cannot be postponed until after Sept. 30th), he should be prepared declare his immigrant intent when applying for a new F1 visa at the embassy, as it is likely to come up.

Yes, you can go ahead and file alone in that case. However, if your husband must travel (and the trip cannot be postponed until after Sept. 30th), he should be prepared declare his immigrant intent when applying for a new F1 visa at the embassy, as it is likely to come up.
@weiwu - just want to make sure you understand the potential implications of what mom is saying. There is a chance, maybe even a very high probability, that the embassy refuses to issue him a new F1 visa because of immigrant intent. That means he is stuck in your home country (because there will almost certainly not be time to process follow to join for DV) until he can get a green card through you via the spouse of LPR route. The current wait time for an immigrant visa under that route is around 3 years. Presumably he can forget about completing whatever he is doing on his F1 visa too.

That’s correct, and it also brings a lot of risk to the table. That’s why I suggested the family-based approach to her, to illustrate that the best option, as you recommended, is to stay in the country and apply together for this opportunity without complicating matters. Additionally, if her husband applies for Advance Parole, he will lose his F1 status.

P.S.: I'm just a student here and learning from Mom—please ignore my messages if Mom responds to your message.
Correction, if he uses advance parole he loses F1 status, but its probably moot as he almost certainly won’t get AP issued before whenever he plans to leave in August.

@weiwu - just want to make sure you understand the potential implications of what mom is saying. There is a chance, maybe even a very high probability, that the embassy refuses to issue him a new F1 visa because of immigrant intent. That means he is stuck in your home country (because there will almost certainly not be time to process follow to join for DV) until he can get a green card through you via the spouse of LPR route. The current wait time for an immigrant visa under that route is around 3 years. Presumably he can forget about completing whatever he is doing on his F1 visa too.
Thanks for the help on elaborating! Can you help me understand how the embassy might refuse to issue my husband a new F1 visa? Our home country embassy doesn't require an interview for F1 visa renewal. In the submitted documents, there's no question about immigration intent either. Will the embassy be able to see that his spouse (that is, I) has a pending case of GC and then assume he also has immigrant intent?

Thanks for the help on elaborating! Can you help me understand how the embassy might refuse to issue my husband a new F1 visa? Our home country embassy doesn't require an interview for F1 visa renewal. In the submitted documents, there's no question about immigration intent either. Will the embassy be able to see that his spouse (that is, I) has a pending case of GC and then assume he also has immigrant intent?
Can you explain again why he is going home to renew it rather than file i539? When does his authorized stay expire? You do understand his visa expiry doesn’t matter anymore if he is still within his authorized period of stay in the US?

And yes, they can see it. Even well over 10 years ago (I think it was 2010] when I was applying for B visas for my minor children (interview also not required), the embassy called me in to ask about the fact that I had had an immigrant visa petition filed for me (which I don’t believe the children were even named on)…and I guarantee their computer systems are a lot better now than then. Most common reason for denial of non immigrant visas is the infamous section 214b - immigrant intent. Btw - the law presumes immigrant intent, and visa applicants have to overcome that.

I submitted my AOS package and received acceptance text, meanwhile I had to travel to home country for a brief emergency trip. My valid status is based on L1A on which Iam working in US. Upon my return to US, I am thinking to share my update I-94 to KCC over email. Is there anything else I should do. Thanks for your response(s).

Hello, when we got married, my wife changed her last name in the marriage certificate (marriage certificate is NY based) which shows old surname and new surname but we haven't yet legalized our marriage in our country. Hence, her surname in the passport and anywhere else is still her old surname. Does she need to fill out the box 2a of i-485 with the new surname which is not official in any other document than marriage certificate?

I submitted my AOS package and received acceptance text, meanwhile I had to travel to home country for a brief emergency trip. My valid status is based on L1A on which Iam working in US. Upon my return to US, I am thinking to share my update I-94 to KCC over email. Is there anything else I should do. Thanks for your response(s).
No need to do anything. KCC won’t be interested in your i94.

Hello, when we got married, my wife changed her last name in the marriage certificate (marriage certificate is NY based) which shows old surname and new surname but we haven't yet legalized our marriage in our country. Hence, her surname in the passport and anywhere else is still her old surname. Does she need to fill out the box 2a of i-485 with the new surname which is not official in any other document than marriage certificate?
Do I understand correctly you got married in the US? and changed her name in the US? What makes you think the US won’t see that as an official name change just because some documents haven’t been updated?

Do I understand correctly you got married in the US? and changed her name in the US? What makes you think the US won’t see that as an official name change just because some documents haven’t been updated?
Yes got married and changed her name in the US but passport and her visa and EAD, her DV lottery case number, and other docs are still in her previous name. So when we fill documents out, we are filling everything based on the previous name. Is that wrong?

Yes got married and changed her name in the US but passport and her visa and EAD, her DV lottery case number, and other docs are still in her previous name. So when we fill documents out, we are filling everything based on the previous name. Is that wrong?
The form should be correct as at the date you fill it in. If her name has changed, use the correct name as of the date of the form. After all, you have the marriage certificate with changed name to prove it is the same person.

If your wife intends to use your last name as her last name going forward, she should list the new last name in Q.1a. Under Q2a. is where she will need to list her maiden name which is the name on her passport and other documents she currently has. Doing so ensures the GC gets issued in her new last name. Her marriage certificate makes the new last name official. And if she has to travel after getting her GC, and before getting a new passport in her new last name, she just needs to have her marriage certificate on her to show as official document for the change of name.

If she lists her old last name in 1a and the new last name in 2a, the GC will be issued under the old last name. If she subsequently wants to change the last name to reflect her new last name later on, she will need to play for a replacement GC, which is not cheap, and could be waiting for a long time (could be up to one year of more) for the replacement GC to get issued. She will be without a GC during that period as she would have needed to send in the old GC with her application (if I’m not mistaken on this).

@Sm1smom my husband’s case was approved.Again thanks so much for your support.
Good luck to everyone.
Congratulations and thanks for returning to inform us. A lot of folks come to the forum to ask for guidance on issues they’re dealing with but never return to update the forum once the issue gets resolved. So I appreciate your giving us this update. Wish you the best in your new life.

Congratulations and thanks for returning to inform us. A lot of folks come to the forum to ask for guidance on issues they’re dealing with but never return to update the forum once the issue gets resolved. So I appreciate your giving us this update. Wish you the best in your new life.
Thanks so much

If your wife intends to use your last name as her last name going forward, she should list the new last name in Q.1a. Under Q2a. is where she will need to list her maiden name which is the name on her passport and other documents she currently has. Doing so ensures the GC gets issued in her new last name. Her marriage certificate makes the new last name official. And if she has to travel after getting her GC, and before getting a new passport in her new last name, she just needs to have her marriage certificate on her to show as official document for the change of name.

If she lists her old last name in 1a and the new last name in 2a, the GC will be issued under the old last name. If she subsequently wants to change the last name to reflect her new last name later on, she will need to play for a replacement GC, which is not cheap, and could be waiting for a long time (could be up to one year of more) for the replacement GC to get issued. She will be without a GC during that period as she would have needed to send in the old GC with her application (if I’m not mistaken on this).
That’s super helpful thank you so much