• Hello Members, This forums is for DV lottery visas only. For other immigration related questions, please go to our forums home page, find the related forum and post it there.

DV 2024 AOS (Adjustment of Status) Process Only

Hi @Sm1smom and all,

There is an update to the Chapter 2 Eligibility requirements. as of today (July 16, 2024).

I think USCIS is kidding me or those who got denial because of the early filing. Check the Finland example in the table at the end of 4. Reading the Visa Bulletin Charts for DV Adjustment of Status. They clearly say we can do early filing! (facepalm)
xarthisius posted about this a couple weeks back

@Sm1smom btw of early filing memo, this [1] was published yesterday. Looks like early filing is now officially part of USCIS policy manual [2]. There's a whole chapter related to DV AOS now. I haven't read it fully.

1. https://www.uscis.gov/sites/default...0240628-DiversityImmigrantBasedAdjustment.pdf
2. https://www.uscis.gov/policy-manual/volume-7-part-g-chapter-2 (section C)

Hi @Sm1smom and all,

There is an update to the Chapter 2 Eligibility requirements. as of today (July 16, 2024).

I think USCIS is kidding me or those who got denial because of the early filing. Check the Finland example in the table at the end of 4. Reading the Visa Bulletin Charts for DV Adjustment of Status. They clearly say we can do early filing! (facepalm)
Yes, we are aware of the update. Like Susie noted above, @Xarthisius posted about this update on June 29th, same day you posted about your case denial. However, your denial notice was issued before June 28th, which is when the Memo announcing this update was issued - that is why I did not focus on it or point it out, or recommend you fight the denial. Anyways, that is all water under the bridge now IMO.

Meanwhile, is there any new update about your newly filed application?

Yes, we are aware of the update. Like Susie noted above, @Xarthisius posted about this update on June 29th, same day you posted about your case denial. However, your denial notice was issued before June 28th, which is when the Memo announcing this update was issued - that is why I did not focus on it or point it out, or recommend you fight the denial. Anyways, that is all water under the bridge now IMO.

Meanwhile, is there any new update about your newly filed application?
I must have missed this part of the update, then. I thought this part, especially this example for Finland native has just been added to the policy as I saw the update date on the website is July 16th. I feel so annoyed now that they even explain it in an example yet still denying application. Crazy!

Glad you asked about the update on new application because that was my initial intention to write, until I see this example and lose my mind. Anyway, my new application has just been received and I can't express how relieving it was to see it. Just added to the time spreadsheet.

However now that I have stronger evidence on the denial in error, I'm considering to fight the denial at the same time. I know it is very less likely that I will hear from it before the end of the fiscal year, but if it doesn't harm, why not give it a try.

Last edited:
I must have missed this part of the update, then. I thought this part, especially this example for Finland native has just been added to the policy as I saw the update date on the website is July 16th. I feel so annoyed now that they even explain it in an example yet still denying application. Crazy!

Glad you asked about the update on new application because that was my initial intention to write, until I see this example and lose my mind. Anyway, my new application has just been received and I can't express how relieving it was to see it. Just added to the time spreadsheet.

However now that I have stronger evidence on the denial in error, I'm considering to fight the denial at the same time. I know it is very less likely that I will hear from it before the end of the fiscal year, but if it doesn't harm, why not give it a try.
How is the evidence in your favor if the date on your denial notice was before the update officially came into effect?

If you believe the evidence you have is strongly in your favor and proceed accordingly to "fight" the denial, in view of the fact that you entered the US on a visitor's visa to file for AOS, are you prepared for your entire immigration history to be scrutinized? You don't honestly think the IO that denied your case will be willing to admit they were wrong at this point, expect them to fully fight back. Remember the IO in your denial notice already alluded to the fact that your authorized stay would soon expire. At the end of the day, you need to remember, immigration (and the possibility of filing for AOS) is a privilege and not a right. I'm saying all of these to say, walking away from a supposedly winnable fight may be the right thing to do sometimes.

Glad to know your 2nd application has been accepted.

Hey everyone, I just completed my interview at the NYC FO (Federal Plaza) where the IO verbally approved my case :D
I will write another post with my interview experience.

I checked my online case status about half an hour later. I got two new updates on my case:

July 16, 2024 New Card Is Being Produced
July 16, 2024 Your interview for your Form I-485, Application to Register Permanent Residence or Adjust Status, was completed, and your case must be reviewed. We will mail you a notice if we make a decision or take further action.

Can I say I am clear now that I received the CPO update? Sometimes I see the I-485 approval update with some folks too.
Interview Experience
NYC

I arrived 40 minutes before my appointment at 11:15 am, and I'm glad I did! It took me a solid 10 minutes to go around the federal building to find the correct visitor entrance (it is the one on Broadway - despite the interview letter saying it's on Lafayette St). I took the elevator to the 7th floor and entered room 700, a huge waiting room with booths for check-in and two doors on each end of the room opening to the interview suites. I was told to wait until 10:50 am to get in line for the check-in with the photo and fingerprints, which took another 10 minutes for some reason. Then I got seated near the entrance to the interview suites and waited until 11:20 before I got called into the suites by the IO, who was a friendly lady.

I entered her office and we started with the oath. I am so dumb. I thought we were repeating the oath after the IO. I attempted to say it back before she interrupted me to simply answer yes or no. Awkward moment :( but luckily she laughed it off.

Then she took my passport and we went through the I-485. The whole interview was just the I-485. She wanted to see if my answers matched with what I had put on the form. You need to really study your I-485 before going in for the interview - there were some answers that I couldn't remember off the top of my head (like my old addresses and the clubs I joined in college) but it was no issue. We then went through the yes/no part. At one point, my brain mistakenly registered half of her sentence as the end and I said "no" before she even finished reading the question. So embarrassing... but she found that hilarious.

Out of everything I brought as part of my AOS package, she just asked for copies of my bachelor's diplomas. I gave her the originals anyway.
Throughout the interview, she made some small talk about my hometown and my birthday plans (my birthday is tomorrow and she celebrated it earlier)! At the end, she told me that my green card would arrive in 3-4 weeks. Of course, I asked her to confirm I was approved - she said yes, and congratulated me. At one point, she even talked about citizenship along the lines of "if you become a citizen one day - if you want to" etc. but I don't remember the context anymore lol.

The interview lasted 20 mins and she wished me a happy birthday again as I was leaving the suites. Everyone was lovely at the FO, which I didn't expect!

As of now, I have received the "card is being produced" update and am waiting to receive my welcome letter and green card. Fingers crossed that everything from here goes fine. Extremely grateful to have met so many people in the forum during the AOS process; you reminded me that I was not alone in this. I hope you all get the fantastic news you deserve soon. I plan to tag along to continue hearing your updates and helping as much as I can.

It's still so unbelievable to me that I completed the entire application process without a lawyer. All thanks to this forum and @Sm1smom for the stellar AOS spreadsheet and guidance!

Interview Experience
NYC

I arrived 40 minutes before my appointment at 11:15 am, and I'm glad I did! It took me a solid 10 minutes to go around the federal building to find the correct visitor entrance (it is the one on Broadway - despite the interview letter saying it's on Lafayette St). I took the elevator to the 7th floor and entered room 700, a huge waiting room with booths for check-in and two doors on each end of the room opening to the interview suites. I was told to wait until 10:50 am to get in line for the check-in with the photo and fingerprints, which took another 10 minutes for some reason. Then I got seated near the entrance to the interview suites and waited until 11:20 before I got called into the suites by the IO, who was a friendly lady.

I entered her office and we started with the oath. I am so dumb. I thought we were repeating the oath after the IO. I attempted to say it back before she interrupted me to simply answer yes or no. Awkward moment :( but luckily she laughed it off.

Then she took my passport and we went through the I-485. The whole interview was just the I-485. She wanted to see if my answers matched with what I had put on the form. You need to really study your I-485 before going in for the interview - there were some answers that I couldn't remember off the top of my head (like my old addresses and the clubs I joined in college) but it was no issue. We then went through the yes/no part. At one point, my brain mistakenly registered half of her sentence as the end and I said "no" before she even finished reading the question. So embarrassing... but she found that hilarious.

Out of everything I brought as part of my AOS package, she just asked for copies of my bachelor's diplomas. I gave her the originals anyway.
Throughout the interview, she made some small talk about my hometown and my birthday plans (my birthday is tomorrow and she celebrated it earlier)! At the end, she told me that my green card would arrive in 3-4 weeks. Of course, I asked her to confirm I was approved - she said yes, and congratulated me. At one point, she even talked about citizenship along the lines of "if you become a citizen one day - if you want to" etc. but I don't remember the context anymore lol.

The interview lasted 20 mins and she wished me a happy birthday again as I was leaving the suites. Everyone was lovely at the FO, which I didn't expect!

As of now, I have received the "card is being produced" update and am waiting to receive my welcome letter and green card. Fingers crossed that everything from here goes fine. Extremely grateful to have met so many people in the forum during the AOS process; you reminded me that I was not alone in this. I hope you all get the fantastic news you deserve soon. I plan to tag along to continue hearing your updates and helping as much as I can.

It's still so unbelievable to me that I completed the entire application process without a lawyer. All thanks to this forum and @Sm1smom for the stellar AOS spreadsheet and guidance!
Thank you so much for sharing these details! Fingers crossed you’ll get the GC soon!

How is the evidence in your favor if the date on your denial notice was before the update officially came into effect?

If you believe the evidence you have is strongly in your favor and proceed accordingly to "fight" the denial, in view of the fact that you entered the US on a visitor's visa to file for AOS, are you prepared for your entire immigration history to be scrutinized? You don't honestly think the IO that denied your case will be willing to admit they were wrong at this point, expect them to fully fight back. Remember the IO in your denial notice already alluded to the fact that your authorized stay would soon expire. At the end of the day, you need to remember, immigration (and the possibility of filing for AOS) is a privilege and not a right. I'm saying all of these to say, walking away from a supposedly winnable fight may be the right thing to do sometimes.

Glad to know your 2nd application has been accepted.
I didn’t think of it that way so thank you for sharing your thoughts. I was rather thinking about how I would feel if I didn't try everything I could. But, I got your point.
I know with all the things you have witnessed you are giving your best to help everyone, spending a lot time to help us free of charge and I greatly value your judgement and appreciate all the help.

Thank you for your continuous support. All I can do is to hope for the best for my 2nd application now. Will update if anything with my 2nd application so it can serve as a tiny bit of information for the new AOS applicants.

I didn’t think of it that way so thank you for sharing your thoughts. I was rather thinking about how I would feel if I didn't try everything I could. But, I got your point.
I know with all the things you have witnessed you are giving your best to help everyone, spending a lot time to help us free of charge and I greatly value your judgement and appreciate all the help.

Thank you for your continuous support. All I can do is to hope for the best for my 2nd application now. Will update if anything with my 2nd application so it can serve as a tiny bit of information for the new AOS applicants.
I feel you, brother! It really sucks when you think about it, but the whole process depends a lot on luck. We were selected among millions of people, and even now, it's largely about luck. Some people here got approved just weeks after filing, while others, like myself, have been waiting for months without any updates. My suggestion is to focus on your second application. In my opinion, 2.5 months should be more than enough time for your application to get processed. Best of luck!

Interview Experience
NYC

wonderful update! Congrats.

I feel you, brother! It really sucks when you think about it, but the whole process depends a lot on luck. We were selected among millions of people, and even now, it's largely about luck. Some people here got approved just weeks after filing, while others, like myself, have been waiting for months without any updates. My suggestion is to focus on your second application. In my opinion, 2.5 months should be more than enough time for your application to get processed. Best of luck!
Out of over 9 million qualified entrants for the DV we were selected amongst the many. That alone is a miracle and we should be grateful cause others wish they were where we are now. Fingers crossed. The journey isn’t over till it’s over. I’m confident we will all be sharing our success stories soon.

Hello everyone, I can't believe I found this amazing resource this late in the game. I am looking for some encouragement and prayers at this point.
Our ranking is really bad EU47XXX, we just meet the cut off of 50,000 for September. I was expecting to not meet the cut off, so now that I am, we are rushing to get all the docs in order. Luckily I have almost everything prepared. Medical package will be provided Thursday, so will mail at the latest this Friday, 07/19. Realistically speaking what hope do I have at this point to meet the cut off? We are on E2 so maintaining legal status is no issue. We are both fully employed with high paying jobs and degrees, application is clean no waivers or special conditions. Do they even look at this when reviewing? Anyone can give me some hope?

Hi! Wanted to provide an update on my Tier 2 Inquiry and vent a little bit. I have submitted a Tier 2 inquiry because It has been almost a month since I have completed my bio but every agent I speak with told me that my case is still at NBC. So, I requested an inquiry to speak with Tier 2 to see if they can tell me otherwise or transfer my case to FO. While I was hoping for a call back from Tier 2 agent, they sent me an email instead stating they received my case on May 31st and it is under normal processing time (saying nothing about if my case is at NBC or at FO).
Here is the vent, I am honestly very anxious every day about this process. I got my dream job and the company has so many exciting future projects that I am working on but I do not know if the green card process will be successful or I will have to reside from my dream job :( My work authorisation expires in a month and I did not apply for I-795 with my application (really dumb of me but I was hoping it will be all done by August). I can not sleep normally nor enjoy life and it is very frustrating. I am really thankful for the resources and support on this forum. This process is overwhelming and nobody in my real life can relate to what I am going through. I became really stressed and depressed lately due to the unknown of the future. I can not wait for myself and everyone here to be successfully approved and I hope 2024 is truly a lucky year for all of us. Hope what I am going through is not relatable to people here, but if it is - know that you are not alone. Praying tonight for all of us.

Hi! Wanted to provide an update on my Tier 2 Inquiry and vent a little bit. I have submitted a Tier 2 inquiry because It has been almost a month since I have completed my bio but every agent I speak with told me that my case is still at NBC. So, I requested an inquiry to speak with Tier 2 to see if they can tell me otherwise or transfer my case to FO. While I was hoping for a call back from Tier 2 agent, they sent me an email instead stating they received my case on May 31st and it is under normal processing time (saying nothing about if my case is at NBC or at FO).
Here is the vent, I am honestly very anxious every day about this process. I got my dream job and the company has so many exciting future projects that I am working on but I do not know if the green card process will be successful or I will have to reside from my dream job :( My work authorisation expires in a month and I did not apply for I-795 with my application (really dumb of me but I was hoping it will be all done by August). I can not sleep normally nor enjoy life and it is very frustrating. I am really thankful for the resources and support on this forum. This process is overwhelming and nobody in my real life can relate to what I am going through. I became really stressed and depressed lately due to the unknown of the future. I can not wait for myself and everyone here to be successfully approved and I hope 2024 is truly a lucky year for all of us. Hope what I am going through is not relatable to people here, but if it is - know that you are not alone. Praying tonight for all of us.
Why don't you initiate a congressional/senator inquiry? Also, keep the ombudsman as a last resort option. Don't worry, I've been there, and you still have time. Another option is to somehow convince an agent to make an InfoPass appointment (read their criteria in advance). You could also try sending a mail to your Field Office or even try walking into your FO to make an in-person inquiry.

Why don't you initiate a congressional/senator inquiry? Also, keep the ombudsman as a last resort option. Don't worry, I've been there, and you still have time. Another option is to somehow convince an agent to make an InfoPass appointment (read their criteria in advance). You could also try sending a mail to your Field Office or even try walking into your FO to make an in-person inquiry.
I appreciate you. Yes, I have submitted a congress inquiry - still waiting on a response. Will definitely try again with Tier-2 and good idea on sending a mail to the FO. I've read on Google reviews that my FO has the worsts guards and they do not let people in without an interview nor even talk to them.

Hello everyone, I can't believe I found this amazing resource this late in the game. I am looking for some encouragement and prayers at this point.
Our ranking is really bad EU47XXX, we just meet the cut off of 50,000 for September. I was expecting to not meet the cut off, so now that I am, we are rushing to get all the docs in order. Luckily I have almost everything prepared. Medical package will be provided Thursday, so will mail at the latest this Friday, 07/19. Realistically speaking what hope do I have at this point to meet the cut off? We are on E2 so maintaining legal status is no issue. We are both fully employed with high paying jobs and degrees, application is clean no waivers or special conditions. Do they even look at this when reviewing? Anyone can give me some hope?
You can look at historical timelines. There's plenty of people who filed after 07/19 and got their GCs.

Hi everyone, I'm looking for some advise for my scenario. I'm selected for FY 2024 and my number will become current in Sep 2024. I included my husband in my lottery entry. Both my husband and I are in currently US (I am on OPT waiting for STEM extension; my husband is on F1 visa). My husband has to travel back to our home country in August for some urgent businesses (including extending his F1 visa because it's expired). With this, can I submit my I-485 first without my husband's form? And then, can my husband submit his form when he's back in the US? Will there be an issue if I file first? I'm thinking this would buy us more time to get ahead for processing but not sure if both of us need to submit together in the same package. Any insight is greatly appreciated! Thank you so much!

Hi everyone, I'm looking for some advise for my scenario. I'm selected for FY 2024 and my number will become current in Sep 2024. I included my husband in my lottery entry. Both my husband and I are in currently US (I am on OPT waiting for STEM extension; my husband is on F1 visa). My husband has to travel back to our home country in August for some urgent businesses (including extending his F1 visa because it's expired). With this, can I submit my I-485 first without my husband's form? And then, can my husband submit his form when he's back in the US? Will there be an issue if I file first? I'm thinking this would buy us more time to get ahead for processing but not sure if both of us need to submit together in the same package. Any insight is greatly appreciated! Thank you so much!
You have just 2 months to complete this process. My recommendation would be for your husband to suspend his trip for now while you both file together right away, if you want to give yourselves a shot at getting a DV based GC.

You have just 2 months to complete this process. My recommendation would be for your husband to suspend his trip for now while you both file together right away, if you want to give yourselves a shot at getting a DV based GC.
Or you can apply for it individually, then hopefully obtain the green card, and then apply for an I-130 for him. Be prepared to wait in line for more than 3-4 years before he has a chance to receive a family based green card.