• Hello Members, This forums is for DV lottery visas only. For other immigration related questions, please go to our forums home page, find the related forum and post it there.

DV 2024 AOS (Adjustment of Status) Process Only

Thanks so much mom for all the information. I came across this forum a little late, but I took some time to read your insight on this AOS process. I have a question for you mom, does having a green card grant you state residency for in-state tuition? Meaning if I get my green card, am I going to be able to pay for in-state tuition at my current college? Also, does applying for FASFA after getting a green card makes you a public charge? Please let me know when you can, your insight is very valuable and helpful.

Thanks so much mom for all the information. I came across this forum a little late, but I took some time to read your insight on this AOS process. I have a question for you mom, does having a green card grant you state residency for in-state tuition? Meaning if I get my green card, am I going to be able to pay for in-state tuition at my current college? Also, does applying for FASFA after getting a green card makes you a public charge? Please let me know when you can, your insight is very valuable and helpful.
1. Having a GC automatically makes you eligible to not have to be charged as an international student. In-state or out-of-state fee is another ball game as each school has their own way of determining in-state fee requirements. They have residency rules which they use in calculating if you meet the residency rule or not in order to qualify for in-state tuition.
2. No. Applying for FAFSA as soon as you become eligible to do so is highly recommended.

1. Having a GC automatically makes you eligible to not have to be charged as an international student. In-state or out-of-state fee is another ball game as each school has their own way of determining in-state fee requirements. They have residency rules which they use in calculating if you meet the residency rule or not in order to qualify for in-state tuition.
2. No. Applying for FAFSA as soon as you become eligible to do so is highly recommended.
Thank you so much Sm1smom, I appreciate your response and help.
Just another info that might help some folks, I recently came across a guidebook on xxx for F1 visa holders adjusting their status after winning the DV Lottery. I thought of sharing as it might help somebody.

Last edited by a moderator:
@Jo_mu - your post has been edited to remove the site you referenced since it most likely is not a free resource compared to the wealth of information available for free on this platform. Plus even if your referenced resource is free, it is not allowed to be “advertised” on this platform as it is not an official source.

Dear Mom, a couple technial question regarding the package:
1) Do lists of I-485 have to be fastened/bond together?
2) Should I attach a list of content (documents atttached)?
3) I see that military documents from the home country are not in the mandatory list for AOS, while it is needed for Consular proccessing. Can/should I attach it for AOS?
4) How can I make sure I signed it everywhere where needed? Is there a sample?

Appreciate.

Dear Mom, a couple technial question regarding the package:
1) Do lists of I-485 have to be fastened/bond together?
2) Should I attach a list of content (documents atttached)?
3) I see that military documents from the home country are not in the mandatory list for AOS, while it is needed for Consular proccessing. Can/should I attach it for AOS?
4) How can I make sure I signed it everywhere where needed? Is there a sample?

Appreciate.
1. Take a look at the “AOS Package Assemble” tab of the AOS process spreadsheet to see links to different examples of how to put the package together.
2. You can, if you like.
3. Attach it if you already have it.
4. By carefully reviewing your forms. I don’t have a signed sample to share.

1. Take a look at the “AOS Package Assemble” tab of the AOS process spreadsheet to see links to different examples of how to put the package together.
2. You can, if you like.
3. Attach it if you already have it.
4. By carefully reviewing your forms. I don’t have a signed sample to share.
Thank you sir.

Last question - who do we 1440 Fee to? US Department of Homeland Security?

Hi all!! I wish all of us good luck!
I've updated the Timeline spreadsheet with my recent updates: the interview was scheduled after congressional inquiry.
I'm preparing to interview and realized I still don't understand all possible situations around background check. As I learned from the AOS process there are two types of the background checks (bio-based and family/names-based) but I see people have completely different situations with background check estimations. Could someone explain please, how it works? Is there any clear procedure how and when the check is kicked off and run in a scope of AOS process ? Because it's really confusing that one people could get an approval with interview waiver just in a few weeks after biometrics done, but some of people are still waiting for months and got interview scheduled, and all these stuff are in the same FO.
As I see, is seems so to me, the people whose BIO was re-used and waived are stuck in a queue and got next updates later then people who went to bio recently with freshly bio metrics appointment scheduled.
For example, in my case I've applied in the end of December 2023, BIO was re-used at the beginning of January and after that I could get next update only after congressional inquiry, and despite I applied all possible documents to the case including financial statements and med exam, my interview wasn't waived but scheduled in one month in advance. But if take a look at other's cases of the same FO of this year and 2023, my FO had intension to wave interviews, could it mean that they have some doubts in my documents, or could it mean they are waiting any updates related to my case, or could it mean just another IO took my case and they follow the rules they want ? Thank you very much for your insights!

Hi
I've updated the Timeline spreadsheet with my recent updates: the interview was scheduled after congressional inquiry.
I'm preparing to interview and realized I still don't understand all possible situations around background check. As I learned from the AOS process there are two types of the background checks (bio-based and family/names-based) but I see people have completely different situations with background check estimations. Could someone explain please, how it works? Is there any clear procedure how and when the check is kicked off and run in a scope of AOS process ? Because it's really confusing that one people could get an approval with interview waiver just in a few weeks after biometrics done, but some of people are still waiting for months and got interview scheduled, and all these stuff are in the same FO.
As I see, is seems so to me, the people whose BIO was re-used and waived are stuck in a queue and got next updates later then people who went to bio recently with freshly bio metrics appointment scheduled.
For example, in my case I've applied in the end of December 2023, BIO was re-used at the beginning of January and after that I could get next update only after congressional inquiry, and despite I applied all possible documents to the case including financial statements and med exam, my interview wasn't waived but scheduled in one month in advance. But if take a look at other's cases of the same FO of this year and 2023, my FO had intension to wave interviews, could it mean that they have some doubts in my documents, or could it mean they are waiting any updates related to my case, or could it mean just another IO took my case and they follow the rules they want ? Thank you very much for your insights!
Hi Olena, hope your interview goes well. My bio was also waived in the beginning of January and no more updates (I'm also UHP+TPS now). I'm considering a congressional inquiry in hopes it can help my case to move forward too. Could you share what information did you provide in your inquiry to your congressman/woman? Thank you

Every applicant goes through both the biometric and biographic checks as part of the background checks. The background check clearance varies from one applicant to the other. Some applicants do not have any flag that could cause them to be considered a security risk, which means the background check conducted on them upon biometrics capture is completed almost as soon as their information gets run through the system, which could be within a couple of hours as a matter of fact. Others throw up a flag which will require some additional/escalated checking process before they can be cleared. The bio being freshly conducted or waived has no bearing on when an applicant receives the next update or when the applicant’s background check clearance. The clearance is dependent on what each applicant’s specific background involves.

If your FO has typically waived the interview for other cases, but they’re asking you to come in for an interview, then it could mean upon the initial review of your application, a determination was made that your case could not be approved without an interview. It could also mean it was assigned to a different IO within your FO who does not wish to waive your interview.