• Hello Members, This forums is for DV lottery visas only. For other immigration related questions, please go to our forums home page, find the related forum and post it there.

DV 2024 All Selectees (Consular Processing - CP)

I want to share my situation so that other members are aware of what can happen.

I am a DV2024 winner with case number EU31823, assigned from the beginning to the Bucharest embassy (no transfers). I completed our DS forms on May 8th, 2023, almost immediately after the results were published.

Our number was skipped in the last batch of 2NLs that the Bucharest embassy received.

Case numbers 2024EU31857, 2024EU33780, and 2024EU34230 have been scheduled for interviews at the Bucharest embassy and were notified on August 5th. Our case number is lower than theirs in numerical order.

I emailed the Bucharest embassy, and they informed me that they have the capacity to interview me and that they would contact KCC to schedule me for an interview in Romania.

I have emailed KCC five times in the last two weeks, but I only receive automated responses from them.

It is frustrating to see that time is running out, higher case numbers have been scheduled, and nobody from KCC is providing any explanation.

I still hope that someone from KCC will correct this mistake, but since they refuse to give us any explanation, the situation doesn't look promising.

I knew from beginning that our number is in the risk zone and that green card is not guaranteed, but since higher numbers than us got it, I guess I just had higher expectation of KCC profesionalism

How can I write an email to KCC asking them to change the interview location after my case number is current but no 2NLs send to me? Or write an email to the embassy to approve transferring my case to it because I tried a lot and did not get approval and most likely the embassies did not respond?

I want to share my situation so that other members are aware of what can happen.

I am a DV2024 winner with case number EU31823, assigned from the beginning to the Bucharest embassy (no transfers). I completed our DS forms on May 8th, 2023, almost immediately after the results were published.

Our number was skipped in the last batch of 2NLs that the Bucharest embassy received.

Case numbers 2024EU31857, 2024EU33780, and 2024EU34230 have been scheduled for interviews at the Bucharest embassy and were notified on August 5th. Our case number is lower than theirs in numerical order.

I emailed the Bucharest embassy, and they informed me that they have the capacity to interview me and that they would contact KCC to schedule me for an interview in Romania.

I have emailed KCC five times in the last two weeks, but I only receive automated responses from them.

It is frustrating to see that time is running out, higher case numbers have been scheduled, and nobody from KCC is providing any explanation.

I still hope that someone from KCC will correct this mistake, but since they refuse to give us any explanation, the situation doesn't look promising.

I knew from beginning that our number is in the risk zone and that green card is not guaranteed, but since higher numbers than us got it, I guess I just had higher expectation of KCC profesionalism
Can you send me the e -mail (without personal information) in order to be able to send it to the American embassy in Mumbai, perhaps the embassy responds to me ... because it is not currently responding when I inquire whether it can scheduling my case or not

Can you send me the e -mail (without personal information) in order to be able to send it to the American embassy in Mumbai, perhaps the embassy responds to me ... because it is not currently responding when I inquire whether it can scheduling my case or not
FYI Mumbai embassy is generally backlogged with immigrant visa interviews. It is probably unlikely that at this stage they will have an available slot by the end of September, but you may as well try. There is a call center number as well as an email contact on their website, have you tried phoning?

Hello, I have an appointment at the embassy in early September, we just saw that on one of the police certificate of my husband appears a judgment when he was 22 years, personal possession of marijuana and the judge did not find him guilty and was not convicted but it appears on paper. is it problematic for obtaining the Green card? Will the officer refuse us?
Thanks for your help.

Hello, I have an appointment at the embassy in early September, we just saw that on one of the police certificate of my husband appears a judgment when he was 22 years, personal possession of marijuana and the judge did not find him guilty and was not convicted but it appears on paper. is it problematic for obtaining the Green card? Will the officer refuse us?
Thanks for your help.
I’m on my phone now so can’t check but a below small amount and after a certain time period isn’t a bar. I don’t remember the exact details. How long ago was this?

I’m on my phone now so can’t check but a below small amount and after a certain time period isn’t a bar. I don’t remember the exact details. How long ago was this?
It’s been 23 years ago. What does it mean “ isn’t a bar” thank you so much for your help.

It’s been 23 years ago. What does it mean “ isn’t a bar” thank you so much for your help.
Assuming the amount is small enough I think that’s fine, I think it’s long enough ago. I can double check later
A bar in this context is something that prevents you getting a visa

Assuming the amount is small enough I think that’s fine, I think it’s long enough ago. I can double check later
A bar in this context is something that prevents you getting a visa
Thank you very much, if you can double check later that will be perfect. I am very worried about that. Thanks again

Thank you very much, if you can double check later that will be perfect. I am very worried about that. Thanks again
Also: There is a chance the CO may not regard it as a conviction (it seems it wasn’t) but the fact of it on the record may be enough for the CO. That you’ll have to wait and see I guess.

Here is the part I mentioned earlier . If it was less than 30g more than 15 years ago, and no other issues, he can apply for a waiver. I didn’t actually realize a waiver was needed, he can talk to the CO about if he needs it. that may take time.
Is he the principal applicant or are you?

9 FAM 302.4-2(D)(1) (U) Waivers for Immigrants

(CT:VISA-2010; 06-11-2024)

a. (U) Principal Applicant and Simple Possession of Marijuana: An IV applicant who is ineligible under INA 212(a)(2)(A)(i)(II) due to a single offense of simple possession of 30 grams or less of marijuana is eligible to apply for a waiver of ineligibility under INA 212(h) if it is established to the satisfaction of the Attorney General that:

(1) (U) The activities for which the applicant is ineligible occurred more than 15 years before the date of the applicant’s application for visa;

(2) (U) The applicant’s admission to the United States would not be contrary to the national welfare, safety, or security; and

(3) (U) The applicant has been rehabilitated

I am the principal applicant, is it better ? can I request a waiver, what is it? how does the procedure work? do I have time? and what does CO mean? then the judge ended the case with a dismissal, so not guilty and not convicted, I don't know if that helps.
Thank you again

I am the principal applicant, is it better ? can I request a waiver, what is it? how does the procedure work? do I have time? and what does CO mean? then the judge ended the case with a dismissal, so not guilty and not convicted, I don't know if that helps.
Thank you again
CO is consular officer - the person who will interview you. He will be best placed to advise IF it is a problem and if so to apply for a waiver. I don’t know why it’s on the record if it’s a dismissal but the CO will understand your country laws.
Yes it’s better you are principal because IF he needs a waiver and IF it’s not processed before FY end, you can still get your green card and sponsor him for a spouse green card later (not ideal because it’s longer and more expensive but an option if necessary)

ok so we show up at the appointment and we explain to the CO the policed records of my husband and he will explain to us the best thing to do, in general the CO is understandable in this kind of situation? for example why is it in his record when it is determined as a dismissal. I really hope that it will not be an obstacle. and the CO can agree to give the Green card only to me? we have to return to the usa in a year, I just finished a J1 visa and I had to leave the country to be able to apply for another J1 and in the meantime I won the lottery.

ok so we show up at the appointment and we explain to the CO the policed records of my husband and he will explain to us the best thing to do, in general the CO is understandable in this kind of situation? for example why is it in his record when it is determined as a dismissal. I really hope that it will not be an obstacle. and the CO can agree to give the Green card only to me? we have to return to the usa in a year, I just finished a J1 visa and I had to leave the country to be able to apply for another J1 and in the meantime I won the lottery.
the rule of thumb is don’t volunteer information at an interview but always be truthful when asked questions. Don’t raise the issue yourself. The CO will look at the record, if there is an issue he will tell you and tell you what you can do. If it seems to be a problem you can ask about a waiver but normally they will tell you if there is a waiver available.

i assume your j1 does not have a 2year home residency requirement?

Thank you for your feedback. If we have to do a waiver, will we have time until the end of September? And do I need to contact a lawyer in this case? My job only lets me out for a year, and they told me it was possible with them. But I preferred to receive the Green Card, as I also have an American child.

Hi Everyone,

I am now ready to make my activation trip. What would everyone recommend I do while there? I won't be there for long. I will use this trip mostly for tourism and the activation. Should I start setting up bank account and US phone numbers? What else might everyone recommend I do? I will be traveling back to the US for much longer early next year to pick up my gc and ssn (unless the company transfer happens before then or I get accepted from some other job applications I made (unlikely)). I am worried when I enter again the CBP officer might claim I do not have strong ties when I go back if I did not do anything on my first trip.

Hi Everyone,

I am now ready to make my activation trip. What would everyone recommend I do while there? I won't be there for long. I will use this trip mostly for tourism and the activation. Should I start setting up bank account and US phone numbers? What else might everyone recommend I do? I will be traveling back to the US for much longer early next year to pick up my gc and ssn (unless the company transfer happens before then or I get accepted from some other job applications I made (unlikely)). I am worried when I enter again the CBP officer might claim I do not have strong ties when I go back if I did not do anything on my first trip.
I am also doing the same, visiting this year and moving next year. From what I understand, once you land, you are given an additional document issued that gives you one more year to enter the US. No need to worry about strong ties... yet

I am also doing the same, visiting this year and moving next year. From what I understand, once you land, you are given an additional document issued that gives you one more year to enter the US. No need to worry about strong ties... yet
It’s not an additional document. Your visa, once stamped for entry, becomes a temporary green card valid for one year from date of entry, so you can use it while waiting for your plastic card. The ties are as important as they are at any other stage of being a LPR, especially if you plan to be gone for longer than 6 months; the closer you get to being out for a year the more they will question you (personal experience). they are usually lenient on your first trip out but it also depends on the CBP officer you get on the day as well as how long you’ve been gone. It also makes a difference if you are re-entering permanently/on a one way ticket when you come back or if it’s just another visit.

Suggest you read both these links:

especially “Does travel outside the United States affect my permanent resident status?”
https://www.uscis.gov/green-card/after-we-grant-your-green-card/maintaining-permanent-residence , especially “Abandoning Permanent Resident Status”

If it’s possible to open a bank account etc on your activation trip, I would do that. You won’t be able to get a driver’s license as you won’t have proof of residence in any state.

if you’ll be gone beyond April, keep in mind the requirement to file a US tax return for the portion of this calendar year you are an LPR by the April deadline.

Last edited:
Hi
Guys
My case number is 2024AFxx25.
But i filled ds260 on july 2024 and the fiscal year will end sept 30 2024.
Do you think i can get interview appointment or it is too late.