• Hello Members, This forums is for DV lottery visas only. For other immigration related questions, please go to our forums home page, find the related forum and post it there.

DV 2023 AOS (Adjustment of Status) Only

Hello, my wife and I interviewed at the Queens FO today. Our appointment was at 10am, we had one IL for both of us. The officer was very friendly, she asked for our original birth and marriage certificates and diploma, then proceeded with the oath. We reviewed together the I-485 of both of us and gave her our new i-94 (we had to exit US in March, so we printed our new I-94). Everything went very smoothly and in the end the officer said she approved our case. I just checked and (about 2h after the interview) on myuscis our case was updated to "New Card is being produced".

I want to point out (which may be helpful for someone in the same situation) that at the moment of AOS application, my wife was on J1, and after a month she transitioned to H1B. We had doubts about her leaving the country because her case could be in a grey area where she was on a dual intent visa but the AOS package only had J1 in it. The officer was very chill on this matter because technically she was on H1B when exited the country, so no AP was needed.

Thanks, @Sm1smom for the support and all the answers!

I hope you all will have a smooth process and a GC very soon!!

N.
@Nicdep Can you please elaborate on your wife's status when you were working on AOS? Did your wife change the status from J-1 to H1B after submitting DS-260 and/or I-485?
I am in similar situation on working to renew my status (H1B) before submitting I-485 but after submitting DS-260.
Appreciate your comments.

Dear @Sm1smom,

How long does it take to receive the approval letter and GC?
I checked the @AMN75 timeline, and it looks like it was received after ten days.

If my daughter does not receive Physical GC, can she exit the country and re-enter? Will her permanent residency status be in the USCIS system so immigration officers can see upon her arrival to the US? I appreciate your advice.

Regards,
D

Dear @Sm1smom,

How long does it take to receive the approval letter and GC?
I checked the @AMN75 timeline, and it looks like it was received after ten days.

If my daughter does not receive Physical GC, can she exit the country and re-enter? Will her permanent residency status be in the USCIS system so immigration officers can see upon her arrival to the US? I appreciate your advice.

Regards,
D
Please take a look at the Timeline spreadsheet to get an idea of how long on average it has taken others.

She can always depart. However, if she were to depart from the US before receiving the GC, what will she be presenting to the airline to enable her board the plane for her return flight, and what will she present at the border to demonstrate she's a LPR? Without the plastic GC or a temporary I-551 stamp on her passport, she has no means of demonstrating her eligibility to be re-admitted back into the country.

We had our interview at the Denver field office today at 1:00 PM. We arrived a little early but ended up waiting for about an hour. After waiting for an hour, an officer called us into her office. She reviewed our I-485 application and made some corrections. The interview was pretty short, consisting of basic questions. At the end of the interview, she informed us that our case couldn't be approved and that she needed to discuss our case with the legal team to determine if we were eligible for the adjustment of status or not.

@Nicdep Can you please elaborate on your wife's status when you were working on AOS? Did your wife change the status from J-1 to H1B after submitting DS-260 and/or I-485?
I am in similar situation on working to renew my status (H1B) before submitting I-485 but after submitting DS-260.
Hello Houston,
my wife changed from J1 to H1B with the same sponsor just after we submitted I485 AOS package. She traveled with H1b and was fine re-entering US. Moreover, during the interview, the officer said it was ok for her to travel since she was on dual intent visa.

I hope this will help.
N

we never submitted DS-260, since it was optional we did not do it. We still received 2NL after we paid the fee.

Hi Mom, we received a message from Hartford Field office for the expedited request we have put with the Tier 2 officer for our case, mentioning him that DV based cased has 30th Sept 2023 deadline and need to go through expedited processing.

We reviewed your case, but we need additional information and/or documents before we can consider the expedite request. Information regarding the USCIS expedite criteria can be found at uscis.gov/policy-manual/volume-1-part-a-chapter-5.

Please send documentation to support your expedite request to our office at:

USCIS/Hartford Field Office, 450 Main St. 1st Floor, Hartford, CT 06103

within 7 days and include this notice as the first page of the transmission.

Could you please suggest, what document, we need to send. we received separate email for each applicants.

Last edited:
Hi Mom, we received a message from Hartford Field office for the expedited request we have put with the Tier 2 officer for our case.

We reviewed your case, but we need additional information and/or documents before we can consider the expedite request. Information regarding the USCIS expedite criteria can be found at uscis.gov/policy-manual/volume-1-part-a-chapter-5.

Please send documentation to support your expedite request to our office at:

USCIS/Hartford Field Office, 450 Main St. 1st Floor, Hartford, CT 06103

within 7 days and include this notice as the first page of the transmission.

Could you please suggest, what document, we need to send. we received separate messages for applicants.
I'm sorry I'm unable to suggest documents you may need in support of your expedite request. I do not know the basis or the criteria used for your expedite request submission. The response you received included the criteria used for expedite requests, so depending on which of those criteria was used for your request, you need to send in corresponding supporting documents for it.

I'm sorry I'm unable to suggest documents you may need in support of your expedite request. I do not know the basis or the criteria used for your expedite request submission. The response you received included the criteria used for expedite requests, so depending on which of those criteria was used for your request, you need to send in corresponding supporting documents for it.
sorry, i was editing the original post with the reason - to Tier 2 officer we had mentioned that DV based cased has 30th Sept 2023 deadline and need to go through expedited processing.

Hello,
I did not open an inquiry. I sent an email to kcc checking if the address is right but before they answer my email , I received the SASE.
I sent my money order on May 17, which was received by the Department of State on May 19.
the money order was cashed on May 22 and Kcc told me that they sent it on May 25 but there was no update so this was weird as my SASE should be tracked.
On June 1st , I got an update that the shipment is moving.
I have received the SASE on June 2nd.
I am in Ohio
Hopefully, you will get your SASE soon
Keep me updated
Thank you for your reply. I finally received the SASE :)!

sorry, i was editing the original post with the reason - to Tier 2 officer we had mentioned that DV based cased has 30th Sept 2023 deadline and need to go through expedited processing.
First of all, DV based applications already get expedited as it is - they jump the normal processing queue/time frame - because USCIS is already aware of the sunset clause tied to them. In addition, DV cases do not meet the officially listed reasons for submitting an expedite request. These are the precise reasons I’ve never recommended a DV based AOS applicant submit an expedite request - I go through this every year.

Finally your case was filed on Apr. 1st, it is not outside processing time associated with DV based applications in general. You basically just need to exercise some patience IMO as against rushing to submit an expedite request.

@nur1234 & @Hello_all

Appreciate if you could notify me when you receive your Physical Card by mail.

Thank you
D
It has been approved on May 19
The card has been delivered on May 27
SSN card has been delivered on May 30

But I noticed that it is written on the SSN card that “valid for work only with dhs authorization”, maybe by mistake.

Therefore, I went to the SSA office to remove the text on the SSN card. I’m waiting for my updated SSN card to be delivered.

Hi @Sm1smom, We plan to travel out of state(within the USA) next month for a week. If USCIS FO schedules our interview during that period, can we reschedule the interview?? Thanks!

Hi @Sm1smom, We plan to travel out of state(within the USA) next month for a week. If USCIS FO schedules our interview during that period, can we reschedule the interview?? Thanks!
While it is possible to contact the call center and request a reschedule, you should avoid rescheduling the interview appointment whenever possible as it is never advisable.

Not something I would recommend doing considering there’s no telling how soon the rescheduling request will be processed. You could end up being rescheduled for October or way beyond which will lead to case denial due to the FY being over.

First of all, DV based applications already get expedited as it is - they jump the normal processing queue/time frame - because USCIS is already aware of the sunset clause tied to them. In addition, DV cases do not meet the officially listed reasons for submitting an expedite request. These are the precise reasons I’ve never recommended a DV based AOS applicant submit an expedite request - I go through this every year.

Finally your case was filed on Apr. 1st, it is not outside processing time associated with DV based applications in general. You basically just need to exercise some patience IMO as against rushing to submit an expedite request.
Thanks mom. I didn’t realized, there was specific category it will go while talking about my case to the tier2 officer. I was hoping it will nudge the FO. I was not expecting to receive this email. Should i simply ignore the mail for documents. Will it have any impact on my usual processing?

Thanks mom. I didn’t realized, there was specific category it will go while talking about my case to the tier2 officer. I was hoping it will nudge the FO. I was not expecting to receive this email. Should i simply ignore the mail for documents. Will it have any impact on my usual processing?
No impact on the regular processing if you fail to respond to with the required documents - the expedite request will basically get denied eventually. You can also respond with an explanation stating the reason for the expedite request even if it does not fit into any of the listed criteria, the expedite request will get denied in that case also, I believe.

Thank you for this advice! If I even didn’t send the I-134 form with my I-485 fScreen Shot 2023-06-07 at 5.31.25 AM.pngorm, is it still ok to bring it with me to the interview?
Hey, have you sent the AOS package? Even if we didn't send I-134 form, can we still take it to the interview? Also, do we need the sponsor payslip? The section Supporting Evidence for Form I-485 of USCIS is asking for these documents which doesn't include I134 form