• Hello Members, This forums is for DV lottery visas only. For other immigration related questions, please go to our forums home page, find the related forum and post it there.

DV 2023 AOS (Adjustment of Status) Only

Hello Sm1smom,

In March 2022, before taking the F1 visa, I took a fingerprint and on October 13, 2022, I took a fingerprint again for another application. Based on your experience, will I take another fingerprint or will it no longer be necessary for them? see my timeline 101.

Last edited:
Hello Sm1smom,

In April 2022, before taking the F1 visa, I took a fingerprint and on October 13, 2022, I took a fingerprint again for another application. Based on your experience, will I take another fingerprint or will it no longer be necessary for them? see my timeline 101.
Using unmatching names for forum and timeline just exhausts time and resources of other forum members.

1. F1 visa fingerprints is irrelevent. Not going to be used here.
2. Can you clarify what the "another application" was?

Oh no! that sucks that the IO wouldn't interview you while waiting to receive your KCC file. Sounds like he may be new with processing DV based AOS applications. I would say give it until the end of the week (it may actually take a bit longer) to get new updates about your interview. Yes, you can attempt a walk-in at the FO to see if they're able to issue you with a new IL (or interview you on the spot) - I however do not think you can successfully request to be interviewed by another IO.
No update from the IO or the FO up to this friday afternoon... :( I called the USCIS contact center number on my IL and asked how I could contact the IO or the FO and they told me that they didn't have any number on file and that my best shot was to write a letter to the FO (?). She also agreed that, potentially, a walk-in could work too to get more information.

So I am planning the below and wanted to make sure this was the right/only thing I could do at this time:

#1 Monday morning: show up at the FO at 9am with my stamped/old IL and request for a new IL or to be interviewed on the spot. If I can't get there, at the very least ask for the contact number/IO contact info so I can have update on the new IL or even potentially get interviewed on the spot.
I realized I should have done that on the spot during my botched interview.

#2 If Monday morning is not successful:
- send an email to KCC to nudge them to send the file to my IO (I saw that @Totoy experienced an issue along those lines and that he was able to get the ball moving)
- request to speak to a tier 2 (if that is even helpful?)
- ask help from one of the lawyer that has helped people get interviewed on the spot in the NY FO at the end of 2022?

@Sm1smom, two questions for you:
1. Do you think this is the right way to go about the walk-in attempt on monday morning?
2. Do you think any of the step in #2 could help unlock the situation?

Using unmatching names for forum and timeline just exhausts time and resources of other forum members.

1. F1 visa fingerprints is irrelevent. Not going to be used here.
2. Can you clarify what the "another application" was?
the previous case was Application to extend/ Change nonimmigrant status, I took a fingerprint on October 13, 2022.

Hi,

What does it mean if the case was already transferred to the Seattle FO? Would it mean that the background check was completed?

My case was current in March and that was when I sent the AOS papers to the Chicago Lockbox, fingerprints taken April 11. No interview notice yet.

Thanks!

Hi,

What does it mean if the case was already transferred to the Seattle FO? Would it mean that the background check was completed?

My case was current in March and that was when I sent the AOS papers to the Chicago Lockbox, fingerprints taken April 11. No interview notice yet.

Thanks!

No it does not mean that your background check was complete. Take a look at the NBC_LOCKBOX_FO tab in the AOS spreadsheet to gain insight.

Are you listed on the timeline?

No it does not mean that your background check was complete. Take a look at the NBC_LOCKBOX_FO tab in the AOS spreadsheet to gain insight.

Are you listed on the timeline?
No, not yet - I just registered in the forum. Looking also at the timeline of the previous year - looks like the cases were moving much faster previous year for my FO.

No, not yet - I just registered in the forum. Looking also at the timeline of the previous year - looks like the cases were moving much faster previous year for my FO.
There is one case that did their bio a month before you did. So I'll try to be patient for now. Meanwhile, I would try asking Emma if my interview is scheduled yet.

Hello Sm1smom,

In March 2022, before taking the F1 visa, I took a fingerprint and on October 13, 2022, I took a fingerprint again for another application. Based on your experience, will I take another fingerprint or will it no longer be necessary for them? see my timeline 101.
the previous case was Application to extend/ Change nonimmigrant status, I took a fingerprint on October 13, 2022.
They most likely will re-use the bio collected for the I-539.

Hi Mom,

I really appreciate your great help for this forum. Today, I went to my interview at Baltimore FO. After several hours, the case status was directly changed: " Case was approved" instead of " New card is being produced". I think I could feel relieved after long-wait journey. Wish forum members could get good news soon :).

Hi,

Thanks!
Case transfer to the FO from the NBC is the basic next step, it is not an indication of having cleared the background check.

Add your case updates to the Timeline spreadsheet - doing so provides more data points for analyzing your case.

Hi Mom,

I really appreciate your great help for this forum. Today, I went to my interview at Baltimore FO. After several hours, the case status was directly changed: " Case was approved" instead of " New card is being produced". I think I could feel relieved after long-wait journey. Wish forum members could get good news soon :).
Congratulations. Don't forget to update the Timeline spreadsheet.

No update from the IO or the FO up to this friday afternoon... :( I called the USCIS contact center number on my IL and asked how I could contact the IO or the FO and they told me that they didn't have any number on file and that my best shot was to write a letter to the FO (?). She also agreed that, potentially, a walk-in could work too to get more information.

So I am planning the below and wanted to make sure this was the right/only thing I could do at this time:

#1 Monday morning: show up at the FO at 9am with my stamped/old IL and request for a new IL or to be interviewed on the spot. If I can't get there, at the very least ask for the contact number/IO contact info so I can have update on the new IL or even potentially get interviewed on the spot.
I realized I should have done that on the spot during my botched interview.

#2 If Monday morning is not successful:
- send an email to KCC to nudge them to send the file to my IO (I saw that @Totoy experienced an issue along those lines and that he was able to get the ball moving)
- request to speak to a tier 2 (if that is even helpful?)
- ask help from one of the lawyer that has helped people get interviewed on the spot in the NY FO at the end of 2022?

@Sm1smom, two questions for you:
1. Do you think this is the right way to go about the walk-in attempt on monday morning?
2. Do you think any of the step in #2 could help unlock the situation?
1. Yeah, that is a good plan.
2. It could. However before engaging the services of an immigration lawyer, I would suggest exploring the congressional case assistance option first.

You need to make a police report right away. You basically provided some scammers with possibly enough information for an identity theft. Applying for a new driver's license will not be a deterrent AFAIK, you will not be issued with a new or different number on the replacement driver's license.
@Sm1smom, Police was very rude and didn't file the report. They suggested me to contact embassy and make a new passport with different passport number. My case number is current for July. What do you suggest in this case? Should I inform USCIS about this matter? Will USCIS reject my AOS application if they know about my identity theft? I am very afraid about this matter cause' the scammer might misuse my personal data. Please give me some advice.

@Sm1smom, Police was very rude and didn't file the report. They suggested me to contact embassy and make a new passport with different passport number. My case number is current for July. What do you suggest in this case? Should I inform USCIS about this matter? Will USCIS reject my AOS application if they know about my identity theft? I am very afraid about this matter cause' the scammer might misuse my personal data. Please give me some advice.
When I recommended making a police report, it wasn’t meant to be about your DV selection or you filing for AOS soon, not immigration related. So I have no idea of how you approached the attempted police report which resulted in them being rude to you. You should Google what to do if you’ve been scammed or you suspect your ID has been compromised.

Yes the person with the information will most likely misuse it, that is what scamming is about in the first place. It could be misused way beyond immigration related issues. AFAIK, USCIS cannot do anything about someone else having your passport information. They will not reject your application if they know about your ID theft, however if some form of crime has been committed in your name by the person who has your ID information, that can affect the outcome of your AOS application.

C
When I recommended making a police report, it wasn’t meant to be about your DV selection or you filing for AOS soon, not immigration related. So I have no idea of how you approached the attempted police report which resulted in them being rude to you. You should Google what to do if you’ve been scammed or you suspect your ID has been compromised.

Yes the person with the information will most likely misuse it, that is what scamming is about in the first place. It could be misused way beyond immigration related issues. AFAIK, USCIS cannot do anything about someone else having your passport information. They will not reject your application if they know about your ID theft, however if some form of crime has been committed in your name by the person who has your ID information, that can affect the outcome of your AOS application.
I genuinely tried to report about scam, not related to DV. My question about USCIS AOS is: Can I change my passport which includes a new passport number? Also, can I directly email USCIS and ask these questions to them? I am afraid to ask these sensitive questions.

C

I genuinely tried to report about scam, not related to DV. My question about USCIS AOS is: Can I change my passport which includes a new passport number? Also, can I directly email USCIS and ask these questions to them? I am afraid to ask these sensitive questions.
Of course you can always change your passport, people change/renew passports all the time due to the previous ones being lost or expired. It however doesn’t mean the previous passport will no longer be associated with you. If that passport contains your US visa, you have to disclose and include a copy of it with your AOS package. If the old passport is used to commit some form of crime, it can still be associated with you regardless of if you have a new passport with a new number or not.

You can email USCIS if you like, like I already responded they cannot do anything about the passport information being compromised. They will not provide guidance on what you can or cannot do about the compromised passport.

Hello @Sm1smom

I made a mistake on my i-485 form; I incorrectly marked "NO" instead of "YES" on the public charge section. Consequently, I recently received a Request for Evidence (RFE) to correct this error. I am wondering whether I should only complete the relevant section pertaining to public charge or if I need to fill out the entire i-485 form again.

My husband served in the military, and he received a Request for Evidence (RFE) due to a mistake in completing the membership section. We reviewed the documents and couldn't identify any issues, so we're unsure about the specific problem mentioned in the RFE. We have attached pictures and would appreciate your assistance.

Thank you!

RFE.jpgpart8.jpg

Hi @Sm1smom, I opened the link to find the lockbox filing locations chart for certain family based forms, I read the first sentence, then scrolled down and found this Lockbox address for New York:

USCIS Chicago Lockbox

U.S. Postal Service (USPS):

USCIS
Attn: AOS
P.O. Box 805887
Chicago, IL 60680

FedEx, UPS, and DHL deliveries:

USCIS
Attn: AOS (Box 805887)
131 S. Dearborn St., 3rd Floor
Chicago, IL 60603-5517

Could you please just confirm the this is the right address? Sorry but I already had a problem with the money order and now I am more scared and anxious than before :(...
Thank you for your help!