• Hello Members, This forums is for DV lottery visas only. For other immigration related questions, please go to our forums home page, find the related forum and post it there.

DV 2023 All Selectees (Consular Processing - CP)

In regards to the immunizations, if I have had a tetanus shot but it was 10 years ago, do I need a new one?
Also, with the other shots ie meningococcal, rubella, can I get a titer test from a doctor in the next few months and if it shows I have had my shots already, can I just take in the proof I have had my shots to the medical examiner?

For chicken pox in your table it says no need if you've had chicken pox. Do I need to prove I have already had it? Because I have had it.
You’ll probably need another tetanus shot.
Most panel doctors will accept titer tests but check with the one you’d be going to, to confirm. Some doctors just take you at your word that you’ve had chicken pox - again you might want to confirm with your specific doctor what they need.

Question about police certificates.

If I obtain a police certificate from Australia now, (I do not live there) but then visit for example for 1-4 weeks in the future, would I need to get a new one? Should I hold off on ordering if I don't know if I'll go back before next year?

Also, I am currently residing in Mexico. I looked up the reciprocity table. I just wanted to confirm I am reading it properly. It states you only need a certificate from the state you are living in (not a federal certificate, only state). Is that correct?

Thanks!
The “return to previous country” only becomes an issue if the police certificate is older than 2 years. It’s less than two years till the end of DV2023, so I don’t see how this could be a problem for you.

i agree with your reading of the reciprocity tables re: Mexican police certificates.

Thanks so much for all your answers. They are so helpful.

I have a question about documents to prepare, as I would like to start gathering all possible required documents.

1. For consular processing, will they need tax transcripts from IRS if I have previously lived and worked in the US? If so, would it just be the latest tax transcript or all of them?
2. Since I was an F1 student during my time in the U.S., should I find all my old i-20s or is that only required for AOS?

Thanks so much for all your answers. They are so helpful.

I have a question about documents to prepare, as I would like to start gathering all possible required documents.

1. For consular processing, will they need tax transcripts from IRS if I have previously lived and worked in the US? If so, would it just be the latest tax transcript or all of them?
2. Since I was an F1 student during my time in the U.S., should I find all my old i-20s or is that only required for AOS?
Required documents are all listed here (with the exception of the financial documents - some embassies/consulates require an I-134, most do not):

Hi all! In my DS260 I put the address of a not-so-close relative. I obviously called him and asked if I could and he agreed, but I told him that this is only to have a safe place to eventually have my green card sent. However, my intention is this: if all goes well and I get the visa, I'd immediately start looking for a place to live and a job, and I'd change my address at PoE. The question is: is this possible? Would it be possible for me to start looking for a house/apartment from outside the USA (online)? If I contact a landlord and he asks for documents, I still wouldn't have my green card but only the visa. Would it be enough? In other words: is it possible to buy/rent a place in these conditions? Thanks in advance and have a nice day!

Hi all! In my DS260 I put the address of a not-so-close relative. I obviously called him and asked if I could and he agreed, but I told him that this is only to have a safe place to eventually have my green card sent. However, my intention is this: if all goes well and I get the visa, I'd immediately start looking for a place to live and a job, and I'd change my address at PoE. The question is: is this possible? Would it be possible for me to start looking for a house/apartment from outside the USA (online)? If I contact a landlord and he asks for documents, I still wouldn't have my green card but only the visa. Would it be enough? In other words: is it possible to buy/rent a place in these conditions? Thanks in advance and have a nice day!
1. Yes, you can update the address at the POE.
2. Yes, of course you can search or look up places while you're still outside the US. However, it is never a good idea to buy/rent a place sight unseen. You don't want to fall prey to a con or scam artist.

Okay thank you! So I checked that page and it seems no financial documents are required for CP. But do you think since I was an F1 and did OPT that there is a chance they could email me and request to see tax transcripts or old i-20s? I would just like to gather everything and take it all in case if you think its necessary?

I have a question regarding the employment requirement I'm not sure if you would know the answer.

1) When it says 2 years of employment in the last 5 years, when does the last 5 years start/end? Is it from the interview date, from the date of being drawn, or from the date I entered the lottery?

2) For proof, can I get a letter from previous employer stating when I was employed with the company, what my position was, and whether it required a degree or experience? Is that enough on the letter or do my tasks and duties need to be listed too?

Okay thank you! So I checked that page and it seems no financial documents are required for CP. But do you think since I was an F1 and did OPT that there is a chance they could email me and request to see tax transcripts or old i-20s? I would just like to gather everything and take it all in case if you think its necessary?
The rule of thumb is to prepare and take any document you consider pertinent along with you to your interview when you get to that stage. No one will email and request your F1/OPT documents, however, it wouldn't hurt to have those on hand for when you go in for your interview should there be question about if you were ever out of status or stayed illegally in the US.

Same thing with financial document, prepare for the potential to be able to demonstrate you're not likely to become a public charge. Even though the official page link I provided you with does not say anything about financial documents (which for CP will be bank statements with substantial savings, or an I-134), some embassies or consulates do require this.

p.s. if reference a previous post in your new post, it helps to quote the post you're referencing in your response.

To clarify, no you won’t “only” have the visa, read the small print at the bottom of the visa. Once you enter the US using it, it is no longer a visa because it becomes a temporary green card valid for a year. In any case, I’ve never heard of a landlord asking to see a green card, I don’t know if they’re even allowed to ask for that information. they may however want to run a credit check,

I have a question regarding the employment requirement I'm not sure if you would know the answer.

1) When it says 2 years of employment in the last 5 years, when does the last 5 years start/end? Is it from the interview date, from the date of being drawn, or from the date I entered the lottery?

2) For proof, can I get a letter from previous employer stating when I was employed with the company, what my position was, and whether it required a degree or experience? Is that enough on the letter or do my tasks and duties need to be listed too?
1. From the interview date would suffice.
2. If you meet the educational requirement, I would say to not focus on trying to demonstrate you meet the work requirement part. The truth is, it is a lot easier to demonstrate one meets the educational requirement as against the work requirement. In most cases, proof of employment from a previous employer may not be enough. You may need to demonstrate the work is in line with O*Net Online category and requirements. If you meet the educational requirements, you will not be asked to present anything work related.

I would prefer to prove the educational requirement however it was a long time ago when I did my high school and no longer have a certificate. I emailed my old school but they said they only keep records for a few years. I do have a bachelors degree but going through these forums it seems it is a lucky dip whether they will accept it or not. Also being an Australian degree, I'm not sure if it is equivalent to U.S.

I just wanted to be ready for work history proof too just incase they do not approve of the Bachelors. I have already download the o-net description for my position and can prove it is in job zone 4. My only issue with work history will be if I can fit into the 5 year work period since it is still another year away until interview date more than likely (OC12xx). And currently I am freelancing and no longer at my previous job. Not sure if I am allowed to be self-employed/freelancing for work history proof? It would come under job zone 4 too, however my degree is not related to my current job.

(sorry I keep trying to reply to your messages but I keep getting an error msg saying we've encountered a problem)

hello all i open my ds 260 in 13 may and i close it on 20 same month . my question is the opening of ds 260 could make any issue or delay of studying my form ? and i want to know that my case number is AF13xxx
because i heard many cases in dv 22 got problems thank you

1. Yes, you can update the address at the POE.
2. Yes, of course you can search or look up places while you're still outside the US. However, it is never a good idea to buy/rent a place sight unseen. You don't want to fall prey to a con or scam artist.
Thank you! I'll need to find a way to see the house before paying and finalizing. To do this I'd have to enter the US without being able to change my address at the PoE (as I would still have to see the house before actually renting it). Is the PoE the last chance to change address? Is there a way to change address after PoE? Like get to the US, visit place(s), rent one and change the address? Or maybe is there a better/easier way I'm not thinking right now? Unfortunately staying temporarily at my relative's home (the one I put in the DS260) is not an option :(
To clarify, no you won’t “only” have the visa, read the small print at the bottom of the visa. Once you enter the US using it, it is no longer a visa because it becomes a temporary green card valid for a year. In any case, I’ve never heard of a landlord asking to see a green card, I don’t know if they’re even allowed to ask for that information. they may however want to run a credit check,
Thank you! Credit check means demonstrating I'll be able to pay them by providing them proof like bank statements, job pay and similiar, right?

Last edited:
Thank you! I'll need to find a way to see the house before paying and finalizing. To do this I'd have to enter the US without being able to change my address at the PoE (as I would still have to see the house before actually renting it). Is the PoE the last chance to change address? Is there a way to change address after PoE? Like get to the US, visit place(s), rent one and change the address? Or maybe is there a better/easier way I'm not thinking right now? Unfortunately staying temporarily at my relative's home (the one I put in the DS260) is not an option :(

Thank you! Credit check means demonstrating I'll be able to pay them by providing them proof like bank statements, job pay and similiar, right?
The POE is the last opportunity to update the address where the GC gets sent to. You do not need to stay at your relative’s home, but your GC can be sent over there. The listed address is mainly for the purpose of where the GC gets sent, and not necessarily where you will be residing. Your relative should be able to forward the GC to you after it gets delivered to them

Not exactly, a credit check is when they run your SSN to see if there is bad credit on your record/what your credit score is. Most new immigrants don’t have a US credit score (if you have an existing amex card from certain countries you may be able to show some credit record), so you may need to find a landlord who will accept an alternative method. There is a limit by law in some states regarding the deposit they can take; our landlord was used to people with no credit record as we are near a university where a lot of visiting academics rent for a year or so, so they just asked to see a bank account with (if I recall correctly) 6 months’ worth of rent.

No, but as per instructions you’ll need to show it was a valid passport at the time of entry. If you are unable to retain your old passport for such proof, get an (ideally, authenticated) copy of the bio page made before you have to hand the old one back.

Hey, I would like to follow up on this, my question was regarding having to issue a new passport. If i'm unable to retain my old passport, would a copy without issuing authority's stamp work? Or maybe adding a note to the new passport stating that this passport was a re-issue of the passport no... ?

Last edited:
Hey, I would like to follow up on this, my question was regarding having to issue a new passport. If i'm unable to retain my old passport, would a copy without issuing authority's stamp work? Or maybe adding a note to the new passport stating that this passport was a re-issue of the passport no... ?
The portion you quoted answers your question. Never heard of any issuing authority linking two passport numbers but if yours does, sure. I have to assume you read the DV entry instructions, right?

The portion you quoted answers your question. Never heard of any issuing authority linking two passport numbers but if yours does, sure. I have to assume you read the DV entry instructions, right?
Yes, I did read the DV entry instructions. There is an official annotations page in my passport that may be used for such a reason, at least that's what I have in my current passport (This passport was issued as a replacement of passport No. ******* issuing authority **, Issuing Date **) So if I could get such annotation, that would suffice?