• Hello Members, This forums is for DV lottery visas only. For other immigration related questions, please go to our forums home page, find the related forum and post it there.

DV-2022

Thanks for the Reply, just to understand the concept behind the reasons of choosing where I was born compared to where I'm from does that affect the application? I mean choosing Kuwait (where I was born) will not reflect my Palestinian refugee Status. Will you please Expand/Clarify if possible?

Again. Please read the instructions. Eligibility for DV is based on the country you were born in. It has nothing to do with citizenship or passport or nationality or refugee status or anything else. If you list a country that is not the one you were born in (unless you are claiming your spouse‘s country) you will be disqualified.

https://travel.state.gov/content/da...ons/DV-2022-Instructions-and-FAQs_English.pdf
Country of eligibility for the DV program – Your country of eligibility will normally be the same as your country of birth. Your country of eligibility is not related to where you live or your nationality, if it is different from your country of birth.

Thanks for the Reply, just to understand the concept behind the reasons of choosing where I was born compared to where I'm from does that affect the application? I mean choosing Kuwait (where I was born) will not reflect my Palestinian refugee Status. Will you please Expand/Clarify if possible?

Eligibility and the selection process doesn’t care about citizenship or refuge status. The instructions says:

“Country of eligibility for the DV program – Your country of eligibility will normally be the same as your country of birth. Your country of eligibility is not related to where you live or your nationality, if it is different from your country of birth. If you were born in a country that is not eligible, please review the Frequently Asked Questions to see if there is another way you may be eligible.”

Again. Please read the instructions. Eligibility for DV is based on the country you were born in. It has nothing to do with citizenship or passport or nationality or refugee status or anything else. If you list a country that is not the one you were born in (unless you are claiming your spouse‘s country) you will be disqualified.

https://travel.state.gov/content/da...ons/DV-2022-Instructions-and-FAQs_English.pdf
Country of eligibility for the DV program – Your country of eligibility will normally be the same as your country of birth. Your country of eligibility is not related to where you live or your nationality, if it is different from your country of birth.

Snap! You beat me to it :)

Eligibility and the selection process doesn’t care about citizenship or refuge status. The instructions says:

“Country of eligibility for the DV program – Your country of eligibility will normally be the same as your country of birth. Your country of eligibility is not related to where you live or your nationality, if it is different from your country of birth. If you were born in a country that is not eligible, please review the Frequently Asked Questions to see if there is another way you may be eligible.”
Thank you :)
I've read the instructions and my confusion came from the eligibility section stating the word " natives" of that country while as far as i know I'm considered as a native.
Quoting the following: "Requirement #1: Natives of countries with historically low rates of immigration to the United States may be eligible to enter." I was born in kuwait, however does that make me a native of kuwait?

Last edited:

Thank you Susie, I've read the instructions and my confusion came from the eligibility section stating the word " natives" of that country while as far as i know I'm considered as a native.
Quoting the following: "Requirement #1: Natives of countries with historically low rates of immigration to the United States may be eligible to enter." I was born in kuwait, however does that make me a native of kuwait?

Thank you Susie, I've read the instructions and my confusion came from the eligibility section stating the word " natives" of that country while as far as i know I'm considered as a native.
Yes, if you continue to read the rest of the instructions and get to the FAQs it says:

What do the terms “native” and “chargeability” mean?
Native ordinarily means someone born in a particular country, regardless of the individual’s current country of residence or nationality. Native can also mean someone who is entitled to be charged to a country other than the one in which he/she was born under the provisions of Section 202(b) of the Immigration and Nationality Act.
Because there is a numerical limitation on immigrants who enter from a country or geographic region, each individual is charged to a country. Your chargeability refers to the country towards which limitation you count. Your country of eligibility will normally will be the same as your country of birth. However, you may choose your country of eligibility as the country of birth of your spouse, or the country of birth of either of your parents if you were born in a country in which neither parent was born, and in which your parents were not resident at the time of your birth. These are the only three ways to select your country of chargeability.
Listing an incorrect country of eligibility or chargeability (i.e., one to which you cannot establish a valid claim) will make you ineligible for DV-2022.

Please ensure you have read ALL the instructions before submitting. Every year we see people disqualified for the wrong country. Don’t be one of those. (It also gets tiresome having to repeatedly say the same thing when it is clearly described in the instructions, as it is above and in question 6 quoted earlier.)

Yes, if you continue to read the rest of the instructions and get to the FAQs it says:

What do the terms “native” and “chargeability” mean?
Native ordinarily means someone born in a particular country, regardless of the individual’s current country of residence or nationality. Native can also mean someone who is entitled to be charged to a country other than the one in which he/she was born under the provisions of Section 202(b) of the Immigration and Nationality Act.
Because there is a numerical limitation on immigrants who enter from a country or geographic region, each individual is charged to a country. Your chargeability refers to the country towards which limitation you count. Your country of eligibility will normally will be the same as your country of birth. However, you may choose your country of eligibility as the country of birth of your spouse, or the country of birth of either of your parents if you were born in a country in which neither parent was born, and in which your parents were not resident at the time of your birth. These are the only three ways to select your country of chargeability.
Listing an incorrect country of eligibility or chargeability (i.e., one to which you cannot establish a valid claim) will make you ineligible for DV-2022.

Please ensure you have read ALL the instructions before submitting. Every year we see people disqualified for the wrong country. Don’t be one of those. (It also gets tiresome having to repeatedly say the same thing when it is clearly described in the instructions, as it is above and in question 6 quoted earlier.)
Thank you again for the clarification.

Hi Again,
I have another question in regards to the passport, as i hold Palestinian refugee travel document issued by lebanon shall i select the " beneficiaries of individual waivers" or should I consider my travel document as a passport as I can use it to travel internationally and as a matter of fact i was in the states couples of weeks back.
Your advise is highly appreciated.

Hi Again,
I have another question in regards to the passport, as i hold Palestinian refugee travel document issued by lebanon shall i select the " beneficiaries of individual waivers" or should I consider my travel document as a passport as I can use it to travel internationally and as a matter of fact i was in the states couples of weeks back.
Your advise is highly appreciated.

Susie recommended reading the instructions more than once. This follow up question doesn't seem to support the claim of having read the instruction. Here's what the instruction says about passport waiver selection option:

Beneficiaries of individual waivers: If, on your DV entry, you check the box corresponding to this exemption, you will be required to provide evidence that you are unable to obtain a passport, and the reason you should receive an individual passport waiver, such as:
1) A previous U.S. visa issued to you on form DS-232 because you were unable to obtain a passport, and that the same reasons that you previously sought a passport waiver still apply;
2) Form I-193 approved by USCIS because you were unable to obtain a passport, and that the same reasons that you previously sought a passport waiver still apply; or
3) Documentation showing that you have been granted refugee status in a country other than your country of nationality because you have been persecuted by the government of your country of nationality, making it impossible for you to obtain a passport from that government without experiencing further harm.

Susie recommended reading the instructions more than once. This follow up question doesn't seem to support the claim of having read the instruction. Here's what the instruction says about passport waiver selection option:

Beneficiaries of individual waivers: If, on your DV entry, you check the box corresponding to this exemption, you will be required to provide evidence that you are unable to obtain a passport, and the reason you should receive an individual passport waiver, such as:
1) A previous U.S. visa issued to you on form DS-232 because you were unable to obtain a passport, and that the same reasons that you previously sought a passport waiver still apply;
2) Form I-193 approved by USCIS because you were unable to obtain a passport, and that the same reasons that you previously sought a passport waiver still apply; or
3) Documentation showing that you have been granted refugee status in a country other than your country of nationality because you have been persecuted by the government of your country of nationality, making it impossible for you to obtain a passport from that government without experiencing further harm.
Thanks for the reply, however that's exactly why I'm asking I've read the instructions and in specific the above stated paragraph and I just want to confirm I'm selecting the correct option. I'm worried to misinterpret the meaning, therefore a confirmation would be truly appreciated.
Thank you again

Thanks for the reply, however that's exactly why I'm asking I've read the instructions and in specific the above stated paragraph and I just want to confirm I'm selecting the correct option. I'm worried to misinterpret the meaning, therefore a confirmation would be truly appreciated.
Thank you again
I just want to know if i'm considered under "stateless individuals" or "the beneficiaries of individual waivers", quite confused which one to choose and I promise I've read the full document but don't have the experience nor the background to know for sure the correct option to choose.
I appreciate your continuous help & advice.

I just want to know if i'm considered under "stateless individuals" or "the beneficiaries of individual waivers", quite confused which one to choose and I promise I've read the full document but don't have the experience nor the background to know for sure the correct option to choose.
I appreciate your continuous help & advice.

It’s good to know you’ve read the instructions. BUT it seems to me you’re now simply overthinking everything. The answer to your situation IMHO, is staring you right in the face. You have a refugee document which falls under the category of beneficiaries of individual waivers. Select that and move on with the submission.

The Stateless person option places the onus on you to convincingly demonstrate you are indeed stateless. Even the instructions says stateless is a very rare situation. Why would you want to go with that option? In order for you to be considered a stateless person, these are the things a CO is required to take into consideration:

“You must examine the facts and circumstances for each applicant to determine if the individual is appropriately categorized as stateless, including:
(i) the individual's date and place of birth;
(ii) the date and place of birth of the individual's parent(s);
(iii) the nationality of the individual's parent(s);
(iv) the nationality/citizenship laws in effect at the time of the individual's birth;
(v) any subsequent nationality/citizenship laws that apply retroactively to the individual.
(vi) Note: If, after taking into consideration these and any other relevant factors, you determine that the individual has no nationality or citizenship, you may appropriately find the individual is stateless, for the limited purpose of determining whether the individual is required to possess a passport.”

“An alien who is a refugee or an exile normally retains the nationality of the country he or she fled and would not be considered stateless.”

9 FAM - Immigrant Travel Without A Visa or Passport - for more reading on Statelessness.

Goodmorning everyone. You can participate in DV 2022 with a passport that has expired for two months.
Thanks

Goodmorning everyone. You can participate in DV 2022 with a passport that has expired for two months.
Thanks

Don’t mislead people. A valid unexpired passport is required, the instruction is very clear on that:
“The passport number, country of issuance, and expiration date for your valid, unexpired international travel passport. This requirement does not apply to dependents. You must enter valid international travel passport information unless you meet the requirements for an exemption.”
DV 2022 Instructions

A one day expired passport does not qualify, talk less of a two months expired passport!

Hi guys, there is this scenario of polygamy. My aunt is in a polygamous marriage whereby they dont have a marriage certificate and she wants to apply for this year dv lottery but the problem comes in, since her husband has another wife he dont want to be included in my aunts dv application. so my aunt want to apply as single but in the family name she has used her husbands name which is different from the name in her education certificates. How can she go about it in case her application got selected, now that the family name in her education certificates is different from the name in her passport?.

Hi guys, there is this scenario of polygamy. My aunt is in a polygamous marriage whereby they dont have a marriage certificate and she wants to apply for this year dv lottery but the problem comes in, since her husband has another wife he dont want to be included in my aunts dv application. so my aunt want to apply as single but in the family name she has used her husbands name which is different from the name in her education certificates. How can she go about it in case her application got selected, now that the family name in her education certificates is different from the name in her passport?.
If she applies as single when she is married she will be disqualified. If she is married she must state that in the form. If she wins, she does not need to take the husband, so if he doesn’t want to go, fine, he just doesn’t proceed with being a derivative. If the husband does decide he wants to come with, he will have to divorce the other wife.

If she applies as single when she is married she will be disqualified. If she is married she must state that in the form. If she wins, she does not need to take the husband, so if he doesn’t want to go, fine, he just doesn’t proceed with being a derivative. If the husband does decide he wants to come with, he will have to divorce the other wife.
The problem is in the initial dv application her husband does'nt want to be included as a derivative i.e he dont want give out his details and mind you, they were not legally married so they dont have a marriage certificate. A big problem here is she already taken her husband name as her family name. what can she do?

Last edited: