• Hello Members, This forums is for DV lottery visas only. For other immigration related questions, please go to our forums home page, find the related forum and post it there.

DV-2022

My friend is currently at U.S in J1 visa given to physicians and wants to apply for DV 2022 lottery.If he is selected can he get green card without going back to his country to serve for two years ?
Thank you

My friend is currently at U.S in J1 visa given to physicians and wants to apply for DV 2022 lottery.If he is selected can he get green card without going back to his country to serve for two years ?
Thank you
Not if he has a 2 year home residence requirement attached to his J visa.

(edit: unless as mom points out, he can get a waiver. But just getting selected in DV does not invalidate the HRR requirement, which is what it sounded to me like the question was asking. from the instructions:
36. As a DV applicant, can I receive a waiver of any grounds of visa ineligibility? Does my waiver application receive any special processing?
DV applicants are subject to all grounds of ineligibility for immigrant visas specified in the Immigration and Nationality Act (INA). There are no special provisions for the waiver of any ground of visa ineligibility aside from those ordinarily provided in the INA, nor is there special processing for waiver requests.)

Last edited:
Thank you

Yes he can, if he’s able to get a waiver over the 2 YHRR.

Ive been trying to submit an entry for the past 4 days in vain. In fact i cant go past the first page, whenever i click continue i get a response that "System error occurred"! Has anyone experienced this? How did you go about it?

Greetings I have worry, I want to enter dv 2022 but on my wife's passport she have 03 surnames (Stella Wang Zambo) followed with my name ie epse TONGWO.my problem is how to enter the names in the e dv form given that they ask for first name, middle name and last name and she has only Surnames. I will appreciate your valuable responses

Greetings I have worry, I want to enter dv 2022 but on my wife's passport she have 03 surnames (Stella Wang Zambo) followed with my name ie epse TONGWO.my problem is how to enter the names in the e dv form given that they ask for first name, middle name and last name and she has only Surnames. I will appreciate your valuable responses

Put all three surnames in the last name field if it lets you..

Put all three surnames in the last name field if it lets you..

HUH?? No - that would not normally be correct at all!

OK - so I think you are confused about names.

Lastnames/Surnames are typically family "shared" names. Consider former president Barack Obama as an example.

His Family name is Obama. He took that name from his parents, and his children have that name. It is the name that his wife took during marriage. Therefore Obama is the surname/lastname/family name. In Western countries that is typical.

Some western countries (particularly Latin countries) have a double barreled lastname. Often one name from the father, one from the mother. That gets a bit confusing since children have a different lastname to their parents, but I don't think that is what you are describing - but let me know if I am wrong - I'd like to understand it in other countries.

Barack was the name given to him. That is known as his "given name"/"firstname"/"Christian name".

Hussein is his middlename. It is also a given name, sometimes "inherited" from a grandparent, but in that case would be the given name of the grandparent. .

Hussein

I took the picture without white background afterwards I edit it with white background. I want to ask that can I use it for the lottery??

I took the picture without white background afterwards I edit it with white background. I want to ask that can I use it for the lottery??

Following the laid down instructions is a lot simpler than looking for some walk around solution IMO. Instructions says:

“Photo tip: Take your photo in front of a white or off-white background instead of cropping out the background” - really straight forward.
TravelStateGov Photo Examples

The official photo tool TravelStateGov

Did you have any luck with this tool using Mac browsers like Safari? I got a question from someone who tried to crop their photo with this DoS photo tool on a Mac, but the webpage only downloaded the tool instead of opening it into a browser tab.

Did you have any luck with this tool using Mac browsers like Safari? I got a question from someone who tried to crop their photo with this DoS photo tool on a Mac, but the webpage only downloaded the tool instead of opening it into a browser tab.

Just google "online photo crop" and there are tons of sites there.