• Hello Members, This forums is for DV lottery visas only. For other immigration related questions, please go to our forums home page, find the related forum and post it there.

DV 2022 AOS (Adjustment of Status) Only

Hi,

Just a quick question and to be sure, I had applied before as well and it was denied due to early filing. So, I am answering yes in part 3. Even though this is the same dv2022 application, I just want to make sure that is correct. Thank you so much.
The correct answer to that question should be NO. Yes, you’ve applied before and it got denied, you however did not apply at a US embassy or consulate abroad, so it should be NO.

Which makes sense considering we are both OC, same visa, LA, I also have a lower case number (if that matters in AOS), submitted my package earlier, payment cashed earlier, received NOA earlier, Bio letter earlier, the only difference was they completed their bio 3 days earlier than myself.

Either way, it’s not a big deal. I’m just impatient.
Yup. We’ve also had direct confirmation of this in the past from a couple of FOs in response to congressional case follow-up inquiry as to why an applicant was yet to be scheduled for an interview several months after filing. Their response was the applicant’s background check was still pending.

That’s the whole idea, for them to issue a new or a replacement SSN card without a DHS restriction (as the case may be). You can wait a couple of weeks to see if the replacement card shows up, if it doesn’t (someone else in a similar situation reported theirs didn’t), then just visit your nearest SSA office and apply in person.
Hi, quick update on the issuance of the SSN after receiving my GC. I received today a new card, but it is identical to the one I had before and still says "valid for work only with DHS authorization". Is this normal?

Hi, quick update on the issuance of the SSN after receiving my GC. I received today a new card, but it is identical to the one I had before and still says "valid for work only with DHS authorization". Is this normal?
It should have been issued without the DHS restrictions - someone messed up with the issued card.

I doubt that an early walk-in biometrics helps in speeding up the interview date schedule, as the two things proceed in parallel and are managed by two different offices. Bio is scheduled by NBC, while interview is scheduled by the local FO.
I did receive the interview letter the day after receiving the bio letter, so clearly the two are pretty much unrelated.

However, I think that an early walk in may help at the interview, in case the bio and interview date are close each other.
An early bio might help to make sure that the background is completed by the time you attend the interview, hence increasing the chance of approval on spot
In addition to mom's comment, you can get stuck in a background check for various reasons. So, not only you may not be cleared by your interview, you might not get cleared even by the deadline. I did walk in about two weeks earlier than my actual appointment, and sure enough, I was not cleared by the time of my interview. In fact, I got approved about two weeks before the Sept 30 deadline. So had I hesitated to do a walk-in, I was probably filing I-765 around this time.

Thanks for the quick response! Any recommendations on how to follow up and fix this? Thank you!!
It’s not really like this is a big issue that needs fixing right away, IMO. Of course you can always book an appointment to visit your nearest SSA office and apply for a new replacement card now if you like or wait until later (maybe after becoming a USC? Or before of course) to apply for a replacement card. Bear in mind, you’re only eligible for a maximum of 3 replacement cards in a year and maximum of 10 in a lifetime.

Hello everyone,
I faced a problem after the interview for both my wife and I.

Briefly explain our background,
I was selected in the DV 2022 lottery. I got married with my wife after applying for DV 2022. We decided to go through the adjustment of status process in the U.S. I have paid the Diversity Visa fee for both of us, but I've not submitted the DS-260.

We filed our I-485 applications to the USCIS in April 2022. We had our interview at the USCIS field office yesterday. The USCIS officer at the interview told me that they have not received my wife's case file from KCC so they are not able to process her application. The officer instructed me to contact KCC to include my wife as a derivative applicant in my case, and to transfer her case file to the USCIS field office, so they may proceed with processing her AOS application. (both of us have gone through the interview process like answering the question of I-485 and signed )

Both of our case status are "Interview Was Completed And My Case Must Be Reviewed。".
I've sent the email to KCC yesterday including the content I mentioned above and the supporting documents like DV fee payment receipt ($330*2= $660 for two applicants), our marriage certificate, my DV 2022 selection letter, our I-485 receipt notice, and our interview notice.

I'm not sure how long will I wait for the reply, and wonder if anyone had advice to solve my problem.

Thanks!
Below are the updates of our cases,

After we left the field office (first interview), we sent the email to the KCC on 6/22.
KCC replied on 6/26 with the general guidance as same as the contents showed on the official website.
So we decided to fill out the DS-260 on 6/26, and walked-in to the field office on 6/28.

We tried to persuade the officer that we have done everything, and also on the official website
it said "It will not be necessary for you to contact the Kentucky Consular Center (KCC) for any further information or instructions if you are eligible and apply to adjust status in the United States. "
However, the officer still asked us to wait until she received my wife case file from KCC so that she'll continue to process our case.
In order to speed up, we sent the email again on 6/27 to inform KCC about our situation, and ask them to send my wife's case to the field office as soon as possible.
KCC replied us on 6/30 said "The information you provided will be forwarded to the appropriate department."
Finally, our case status has changed to "New card is being produced" in the evening on 6/30, and became "Case was approved " at the next day.

Thanks to this forum and mom for all the help and guidance.
Last but not least, I would recommend the lottery winner to fill out the DS-260 for both you and your spouse if decided to get marry after won the lottery!

Last edited:
It should have been issued without the DHS restrictions - someone messed up with the issued card.
Yes, I've got the same issue.
They reissued the SSN card with DHS restriction.

When I went to the SSA office, the day after, they recommended to get back to the office 2 weeks after the release of the wrong SSN card, so they can order and send a new one.
They said that their system prevents to reissue the SSN card prior 2 weeks elapsed.

Below are the updates of our cases,

After we left the field office (first interview), we sent the email to the KCC on 6/22.
KCC replied on 6/26 with the general guidance as same as the contents showed on the official website.
So we decided to fill out the DS-260 on 6/26, and walked-in to the field office on 6/27.

We tried to persuade the officer that we have done everything, and also on the official website
it said "It will not be necessary for you to contact the Kentucky Consular Center (KCC) for any further information or instructions if you are eligible and apply to adjust status in the United States. "
However, the officer still asked us to wait until she received my wife case file from KCC so that she'll continue to process our case.
In order to speed up, we sent the email again on 6/27 to inform KCC about our situation, and ask them to send my wife's case to the field office as soon as possible.
KCC replied us on 6/30 said "The information you provided will be forwarded to the appropriate department."
Finally, our case status has changed to "New card is being produced" in the evening on 6/30, and became "Case was approved " at the next day.

Thanks to this forum and mom for all the help and guidance.
Last but not least, I would recommend the lottery winner to fill out the DS-260 for both you and your spouse if decided to get marry after won the lottery!
Congratulations and thanks for returning to update the forum.

Yes, I've got the same issue.
They reissued the SSN card with DHS restriction.

When I went to the SSA office, the day after, they recommended to get back to the office 2 weeks after the release of the wrong SSN card, so they can order and send a new one.
They said that their system prevents to reissue the SSN card prior 2 weeks elapsed.
That seems to be the recurring theme. They ought to be issuing the new SSN without the DHS restrictions. I guess maybe selecting YES to the SSN related question on the I-485 may not be worth it after all for someone who already has the SSN, as they can always visit the SSA office after receiving the GC to apply in person.

That seems to be the recurring theme. They ought to be issuing the new SSN without the DHS restrictions. I guess maybe selecting YES to the SSN related question on the I-485 may not be worth it after all for someone who already has the SSN, as they can always visit the SSA office after receiving the GC to apply in person.
Yep, I 've got the same idea, thereafter

Even if it’s their error though?
I suppose that would be considered an exception per what is available on their website (change in immigration status apparently also does not count within the limit, so that’s good to know):

“Legal name changes and other exceptions do not count toward these limits. For example, changes in immigration status that require card updates may not count toward these limits.”

In addition to mom's comment, you can get stuck in a background check for various reasons. So, not only you may not be cleared by your interview, you might not get cleared even by the deadline. I did walk in about two weeks earlier than my actual appointment, and sure enough, I was not cleared by the time of my interview. In fact, I got approved about two weeks before the Sept 30 deadline. So had I hesitated to do a walk-in, I was probably filing I-765 around this time.
I see.
I did an early walk in too. 15 days before the actual Bio date. 3 weeks before the actual interview date.
I wonder if, perhaps, previous visa applications (and the related background checks), the length of stay in the US and the country of origin (some countries share more information with the US, compared to others) may play a role in orienting the IO to schedule the interview soon after the Bio.
I don't know

Last edited:
Howdy Ladies,

I gotz 2 questions.

1. How common is it to receive ( on the same day, in the mail ) both the Bio and Interview appointment?
2. Any remote chance to have the actual already scheduled interview waived after the Bio completion?

Hope you guys have a wonderful day, and happy 4th!