• Hello Members, This forums is for DV lottery visas only. For other immigration related questions, please go to our forums home page, find the related forum and post it there.

DV 2022 AOS (Adjustment of Status) Only

I renewed my passport at the end of August 2021, and they gave me 2 extra photos but US sizing. Would there be an issue if i used the ones from 8 months ago.

The I-485 instructions say "You must submit two recent identical color passport-style photographs of yourself.", it doesn't clariy how recent and I don't know if it's any different to the US Passport instructions that say must be within 6 months.
I take “recent” to mean within the past six months based on how the instruction is provided on other forms/applications.

Hello,

I had my interview on March 22nd at the Newark Field Office. The interview went well and the questions asked were pretty straightforward. My IO said she had all the information she needed and will forward my application to DOS and that I will receive my card within 2-3 weeks. She also informed me that I will receive a status update in my USCIS account in a day or two. I received the update the next day stating, "Interview is complete, case must be reviewed" with the instruction that a decision will be mailed to me. It's been 4 weeks now and I haven't received any update or mail yet. I noticed that people who had their interviews recently received their updates within a week or so. I also reviewed past timelines for applicants who interviewed at the same field office and noticed that it took roughly 2-3 weeks, sometimes lesser than that.
a) Is my case a normal situation? b) Should I try to reach out to USCIS or wait a bit? Thank you!
If your case appears to be out of range of the observed average processing timeline, it probably means your background check clearance is pending. The background check must clear before the case can be approved. I suggest giving it an additional 4 weeks at least before initiating follow up attempts.

If your case appears to be out of range of the observed average processing timeline, it probably means your background check clearance is pending. The background check must clear before the case can be approved. I suggest giving it an additional 4 weeks at least before initiating follow up attempts.
Thanks for your response and explanation. I will give it some time.

Four years ago ( in 2016 and 2017), my wife and my daughter received the WIC benefit (Nutritional Program for Women, Infants, and Children). Do I need to mention this use of government benefit on my wife's and my daughter's I-485 or I should also mention it in my I-485?

Four years ago ( in 2016 and 2017), my wife and my daughter received the WIC benefit (Nutritional Program for Women, Infants, and Children). Do I need to mention this use of government benefit on my wife's and my daughter's I-485 or I should also mention it in my I-485?
“You” did not receive the benefit, you’re not expected to declare it on your I-485. It needs to be declared on your wife and child’s forms.

Thank you @Sm1smom ! But DOS send it to USCIS too?
I have no idea if they do so or not, it however is irrelevant because USCIS will not spend the time trying to match it with your AOS case file. It will basically get stored in their records archive assuming it gets sent to them. So I’m not sure why it matters to you if they send it to USCIS or not.

Hi all, starting to get a little nervous as I did not receive my Acceptance text since I have my AOS package received @ Chicago Lockbox on Apr 4th.
I did include G-1145 & checked my Cashier's check has not been cashed yet.

On the timeline spreadsheet, it appears people who have their Packages sent in between Apr 1-4th have already received their acceptance Apr 14.

I may be overthinking and impatient, but if there is a rejection in AOS package, they will return the package with a reason of rejection/denial?

Hello everyone,

I see in the timeline spreadsheet that many AOSers are/were students on F1 status. I'm curious whether there are students from any of the day-1-CPT universities, meaning they worked full-time while studying. By itself, it's not a violation or anything, but I'm curious how USCIS looks at those cases thru the prism of being a DV selectee.

1. Specifically, my question is about the strategy for building the case. There are basically two opinions. One is in favor of emphasizing financial independence (meaning frontloading the case with many financial and employment docs). Others argue that since it's still F1 status, the emphasis should be on academic performance and maintaining valid student status (minimally viable financial documents not to be seen as public charge, and more I20s/transcripts/attendance reports).

Any recommendations and/or testimonials?

2. Taking it further, it seems like many attorneys (caveat: based on web research) recommend avoiding volunteering and putting only documents that satisfy minimal requirements for completeness. The argument is that the extra documents unlikely will increase your chances, yet those can potentially lead to more questions and subsequent delays in processing. I understand that people here advocate for heavy frontloading, which can help with expedited processing when your case is "perfect". I'd like to hear, if possible, from folks whose case was not that perfect because "life happened." (I read thru special cases section in the spreadsheet but most of those cases are related to early filing issues)

Many thanks in advance!

Last edited:
2. Taking it further, it seems like many attorneys (caveat: based on web research) recommend avoiding volunteering and putting only documents that satisfy minimal requirements for completeness. The argument is that the extra documents unlikely will increase your chances, yet those can potentially lead to more questions and subsequent delays in processing. I understand that people here advocate for heavy frontloading, which can help with expedited processing when your case is "perfect". I'd like to hear, if possible, from folks whose case was not that perfect because "life happened." (I read thru special cases section in the spreadsheet but most of those cases are related to early filing issues)

Many thanks in advance!
No one here is advocating for “heavy” front loading. If you’ve gone through other posts on this thread outside, you would have seem responses related to “less is more doctrine” in situations where some members asked about including additional documents not recommended/listed on the spreadsheet as part of their AOS package. Big difference between “heavy front loading” and “front loading”, please get that right.

Hi all, starting to get a little nervous as I did not receive my Acceptance text since I have my AOS package received @ Chicago Lockbox on Apr 4th.

On the timeline spreadsheet, it appears people who have their Packages sent in between Apr 1-4th have already received their acceptance Apr 14.

I may be overthinking and impatient, but if there is a rejection in AOS package, they will return the package with a reason of rejection/denial?
Go through copies of the forms you sent in to confirm there were correctly filled out and signed, that tends to be one of the reasons a package gets rejected. If the package is rejected, it usually gets sent back with a rejection notice.

Hi Ozeel, we are in the same boat. I have been getting nervous as well. Mine got delivered April 2 but no acceptance text till now. I called the lockbox and was told to email lockboxsupport@uscis.dhs.gov if it has been more than 15 days. So I am waiting till Friday, if nothing, Il email.
My case no is AF34*** - Current in April - F1.

Hello everyone,

I see in the timeline spreadsheet that many AOSers are/were students on F1 status. I'm curious whether there are students from any of the day-1-CPT universities, meaning they worked full-time while studying. By itself, it's not a violation or anything, but I'm curious how USCIS looks at those cases thru the prism of being a DV selectee.

1. Specifically, my question is about the strategy for building the case. There are basically two opinions. One is in favor of emphasizing financial independence (meaning frontloading the case with many financial and employment docs). Others argue that since it's still F1 status, the emphasis should be on academic performance and maintaining valid student status (minimally viable financial documents not to be seen as public charge, and more I20s/transcripts/attendance reports).

Any recommendations and/or testimonials?

Many thanks in advance!
1. When I filled my AOS Package I was still under F1 Visa (OPT). During some of my college semesters I did tutoring and a summer internship so I had to apply for CPT. Through my college years income was not a lot, in the end you are a student not a full time employee.
I would include all the documentation (educational and income wise), no specific emphasis on financial vs academic. If you are against including a document remove it, if you feel like you want to add additional documentation add it, the AOS Spreadsheet is your best friend, work with it.

Go through copies of the forms you sent in to confirm there were correctly filled out and signed, that tends to be one of the reasons a package gets rejected. If the package is rejected, it usually gets sent back with a rejection notice.
Thanks mom for your feedback.

Hi Ozeel, we are in the same boat. I have been getting nervous as well. Mine got delivered April 2 but no acceptance text till now. I called the lockbox and was told to email lockboxsupport@uscis.dhs.gov if it has been more than 15 days. So I am waiting till Friday, if nothing, Il email.
My case no is AF34*** - Current in April - F1.

Okay glad to know im not the only one. Let us wait & keep our fingers crossed.
Just pray not to see my package returned in my mailbox!

Hello everyone,

If for some reason I got negative result after the interview can I come back to Consular Procedure in case I have enough time, or the decision is final?

Thank you.

Hello everyone,

If for some reason I got negative result after the interview can I come back to Consular Procedure in case I have enough time, or the decision is final?

Thank you.
You will no longer be eligible to process via CP, the decision is final.