• Hello Members, This forums is for DV lottery visas only. For other immigration related questions, please go to our forums home page, find the related forum and post it there.

DV 2022 AOS (Adjustment of Status) Only

You do not need to wait for the 2NL before proceeding onto the next step if you’re processing AOS.
1. So the question is, did you select AOS (USCIS) for interview location on your DS260? If yes, then proceed with making the DV fee payment, medical exam, and putting your AOS package together.
2. There’s no processing priority with AOS, the only thing that matters in the CN being current. Outside of that, your CN is irrelevant as to when the case gets processed.

You need to settle down and carefully go over the AOS process spreadsheet. It is not something you frantically go over. Also, number your questions when you have more than one per post.
Thank you so much for your response! Really appreciate your time helping me (and others here as I can tell). I did choose AOS in my DS260, hence the confusion.

A couple of follow-up questions if you don't mind:

1. "There’s no processing priority with AOS, the only thing that matters in the CN being current." - Is there a chance that the pool of remaining visas got exhausted by the time I submit my packet?

2. Is it better to wait till the fee ($330) is processed or submit the packet as is (indicating that the payment is pending)? I understand that this way I'd lose the chance for my interview to be waived, so this would heavily depend on the answer for #1.

3. "Outside of those, there’s nothing else an attorney can do that you cannot do yourself, they cannot fast track the process or guarantee an approval." Over years in the US, I've accumulated a couple of "lapses" in my current status. Those were likely "mended" by subsequent filings/renewals, but that's my only concern to consider an attorney's help (assuming that they can help word responses properly and/or accompany me on the interview). Is that a reasonable assumption or likely that the return on investment would be negligible?

Again, many thanks for you help - your generously donating your time and expertise means so much to me!

Thank you so much for your response! Really appreciate your time helping me (and others here as I can tell). I did choose AOS in my DS260, hence the confusion.

A couple of follow-up questions if you don't mind:

1. "There’s no processing priority with AOS, the only thing that matters in the CN being current." - Is there a chance that the pool of remaining visas got exhausted by the time I submit my packet?

2. Is it better to wait till the fee ($330) is processed or submit the packet as is (indicating that the payment is pending)? I understand that this way I'd lose the chance for my interview to be waived, so this would heavily depend on the answer for #1.

3. "Outside of those, there’s nothing else an attorney can do that you cannot do yourself, they cannot fast track the process or guarantee an approval." Over years in the US, I've accumulated a couple of "lapses" in my current status. Those were likely "mended" by subsequent filings/renewals, but that's my only concern to consider an attorney's help (assuming that they can help word responses properly and/or accompany me on the interview). Is that a reasonable assumption or likely that the return on investment would be negligible?

Again, many thanks for you help - your generously donating your time and expertise means so much to me!
1. Let me put it this way: is there a chance that the pool of remaining visas got exhausted for someone who filed their AOS application in Oct 2021 and is only able to get interviewed in September 2022? Of course, there's always that possibility. Another question: is there a chance for someone who files for AOS in July 2022 to successfully complete the process by Sept. 2022 and get issued with a GC? Of course that's also possible. I said all of the above to say anything is possible, each case processing depends on several factors such as the an applicant's ability to successfully clear the background check in a timely manner, the workload of the FO with jurisdiction over the case, IO's decision to approve a case with or without an interview, the chargeable region and their rate of visa issue progression, etc.

2. You decide on that based on what you know. I can not tell you if it is better to wait or not, my job here is to provide you with the applicable background information, you make your own choice on how to proceed.

3. You honestly expect me to be able to tell you if hiring an immigration attorney will be worth the return on investment or not based on telling me you've had a "couple of lapses" which were "likely mended"? Of course if you're willing to pay the applicable fees to be accompanied by an attorney to your interview, they will make themselves available to do that. It however does not mean the attorney accompanying you will be answering whatever question the IO asks you, an attorney's presence will equally not stop the IO from asking about the "lapses" should they require further clarifications on those. So basically, you need to make the call on "how much" getting a GC via visa lottery is worth to you.

IMHO, the issue you need to be figuring out now (which I honestly think you actually should have tried to figure out as soon as you learned of your DV selection) is if you meet the eligibility requirements to process your selection via AOS. Per the USCIS Manual, someone who "has ever failed to continuously maintain a lawful status since entry into the United States, unless his or her failure to maintain status was through no fault of his or her own or for technical reasons is not eligible to adjust status". So based on this, I highly recommend you get a legal opinion first, engage in a couple of initial consultations with more than one reputable immigration attorney even if you eventually decide to file for AOS on your own without hiring them based on what they tell you.

Hello Sm1smom and all,
My case been approved 2nd April. But I have not received our SSN cards yet. What should I do?
If your case was approved on April 2nd, and today is just April 4th - you need to wait and a couple of weeks to see if the SSN card will show up or not in that case.

Indeed there is no question in my post.

The question is:

Do Kentucky residents have to send their AOS to the Phoenix Lockbox?

Thank you in advance.
Last Year it was Chicago. I talked with one of my friend who did AOS DV 2021. They have sent to Chicago. I think USCIS has updated it. Everyone better check it before sending the package.

Hi,

Thank you so much for your prompt response, I appreciate this forum, community and Mom for the support along this journey. I have a question regarding filing I131 and I765 form. I am an undergraduate international student on F1 visa, I still have a year left of my studies and I was just wondering the need to apply for I765 form. Does the outcome of this form allow me to work during the time of the application (ie, before sep 30th)? Why do people usually file them? I also want to get the general consensus of whether folks that has similar background like me filed these two forms. Also does filing these two forms in any way slow down the application process/getting the case approved?

Thank you so much.

Hi,

Thank you so much for your prompt response, I appreciate this forum, community and Mom for the support along this journey. I have a question regarding filing I131 and I765 form. I am an undergraduate international student on F1 visa, I still have a year left of my studies and I was just wondering the need to apply for I765 form. Does the outcome of this form allow me to work during the time of the application (ie, before sep 30th)? Why do people usually file them? I also want to get the general consensus of whether folks that has similar background like me filed these two forms. Also does filing these two forms in any way slow down the application process/getting the case approved?

Thank you so much.
1. I can’t tell you if you “need” to apply for an AP and/or EAD card or not, that’s something you’ll need to decide on your own.
2. The EAD is a work authorization card that allows one to work (upon issue) while the AOS application is pending.
3. The reason as to why some apply or not is their personal choice, I don’t know why they do.
4. Take a look at the past timeline spreadsheets to get an idea of which AOSers filed for those in the past.

I recommend you take a look at the AOS process spreadsheet, start with the “AOS Package” tab (lines 89/90 where you can find more detailed explanation on this, and a link to USCIS’s FAQ website on frequently asked AP EAD questions). Also take a look at the “AOS FAQ” tab of the AOS process spreadsheet - you’ll find several questions and answers regarding AP/EAD.

p.s. number your questions if you have more than one in a post.

Hello again, y'all. I'm halfway thru assembling the package and I wrote down several questions along the way. I'm sure some of them might have been answered already, although I couldn't crack the right combo of keywords. If you have a spare minute and know the answer to any of these, please consider answering. I'll keep searching, too, and update the post (and include your answers as well).

Here we go:

1. Are there any official guidelines for the AOS process? Aside from empirical data, what are the grounds for the spreadsheet?
2. Can we use photocopies captured on smartphones (assuming good quality/legibility of the result)? Any other guidelines for photocopies (e.g., is it ok to have only black and white copies)?
3. I have a couple of documents that are available only as digital copies (i.e., the original document was either lost or thrown away). How problematic it can be (assuming the copies are legible)?
4. For education:
4.1. Ultimately, do we need “certificates” (a big fancy sheet with the name of the degree awarded) or “transcripts” (like, how well you performed in each class)?
4.2. Do we need enrollment verification for each institution or only the current/last one?
5. Same for employment – do we need employment verification for each employer or only the current/last one?
6. Visas are listed several times in the spreadsheet. Again, do we need to include photocopies of every one of them or only the last one (used for getting the most current I-94)?
7. With regard to I-495:
7.1. There is a question on whether one needs a new SSN card. Considering, that my current one has the “Valid with DHS authorization” endorsement, do I need to answer Yes to that question? Pros/cons?
7.2. Part 8 is fairly broad – what types of organizations an applicant should list?
8. For medical examination, what are general recommendations for streamlining the process? I called a few offices on the USCIS list and all of them are scheduling appts in 1-3 weeks. Is it worthwhile to call offices that are not on the list or those might not be accepted by feds?

Many thanks!

Hello again, y'all. I'm halfway thru assembling the package and I wrote down several questions along the way. I'm sure some of them might have been answered already, although I couldn't crack the right combo of keywords. If you have a spare minute and know the answer to any of these, please consider answering. I'll keep searching, too, and update the post (and include your answers as well).

Here we go:

1. Are there any official guidelines for the AOS process? Aside from empirical data, what are the grounds for the spreadsheet?
2. Can we use photocopies captured on smartphones (assuming good quality/legibility of the result)? Any other guidelines for photocopies (e.g., is it ok to have only black and white copies)?
3. I have a couple of documents that are available only as digital copies (i.e., the original document was either lost or thrown away). How problematic it can be (assuming the copies are legible)?
4. For education:
4.1. Ultimately, do we need “certificates” (a big fancy sheet with the name of the degree awarded) or “transcripts” (like, how well you performed in each class)?
4.2. Do we need enrollment verification for each institution or only the current/last one?
5. Same for employment – do we need employment verification for each employer or only the current/last one?
6. Visas are listed several times in the spreadsheet. Again, do we need to include photocopies of every one of them or only the last one (used for getting the most current I-94)?
7. With regard to I-495:
7.1. There is a question on whether one needs a new SSN card. Considering, that my current one has the “Valid with DHS authorization” endorsement, do I need to answer Yes to that question? Pros/cons?
7.2. Part 8 is fairly broad – what types of organizations an applicant should list?
8. For medical examination, what are general recommendations for streamlining the process? I called a few offices on the USCIS list and all of them are scheduling appts in 1-3 weeks. Is it worthwhile to call offices that are not on the list or those might not be accepted by feds?

Many thanks!
Let me try to respond to contribute to the forum.

1. Yes there are official information, but are scattered in certain places. Example at the I-485 guidelines form. There is a section/paragraph of what is listed for DV. But the AOS spreadsheet is really a very good summarized version of what is all needed.
2. I would assume to be possible, but I would prefer to use a proper scanner (even if I have to go to Office Depot to scan it). Why risk it?
3. I would assume depending on what type of documents. (Marriage cert would be important to have a real copy during interview , if asked)
4. No idea. But I submitted mine without "certificate" on it.
5. Cant comment, but I would only provide the current one.
6. Yes i included every single copy of my past VISA. Again, why risk it?
7. No comment
8. Again, why risk it? It specifically states to only reach out to USCIS approved list. If its 1-3 week wait, so be it, which I believe you still have time as Sep 30 is still long way to go.

Thank you, @Ozeel for your input!

Hmm, I swear there was edit button under the post, but I can no longer see it or make it appear. I'd love to edit the post to add info provided by @Ozeel.
Alternatively, I see there is an FAQ section in the spreadsheet, but it rather short. Is there any more exhaustive "sandbox" FAQ that can then make it to the "official" spreadsheet, once reviewed by a majority?

4. No idea. But I submitted mine without "certificate" on it.
So, it's only one-pager that says something like "University of .... XXXX has fulfilled the reqs for such degree", correct?

Also, I see that in the provided examples (I-485 form), every non applicable field was marked as such (i.e., "N/A"; except for Middle Name). I'm using the latest form from USCIS and it has some embedded logic to prevent me from entering disallowed characters. Shall I leave those fields blank or use ink after printing (wouldn't not make sense tho).

Also, I see that in the provided examples (I-485 form), every non applicable field was marked as such (i.e., "N/A"; except for Middle Name). I'm using the latest form from USCIS and it has some embedded logic to prevent me from entering disallowed characters. Shall I leave those fields blank or use ink after printing (wouldn't not make sense tho).

You can disable JavaScript (using the below steps) on the form in order to type "N/A" on it.
  1. Launch Acrobat or Adobe Reader.
  2. Select Edit>Preferences.
  3. Select the JavaScript Category.
  4. Uncheck the 'Enable Acrobat JavaScript' option.
  5. Click OK.
Alternatively you can leave the form as is, and hand-print "N/A" (using black ink) also.

Hello everyone, I received my receipt number from USCIS via text and it begins with LIN, which means Nebraska Service Center will process my case. Moreover, the USCIS Case Status website indicates the status as "Fingerprint Fee Was Received" and it is mentioned that "Our Nebraska Service Center location is working on your case." However, based on the AOS Process Spreadsheet, it seems NBC (National Benefits Center) should process the DV cases. I'd like to ask if this is normal. Thank you!

Hello everyone, I received my receipt number from USCIS via text and it begins with LIN, which means Nebraska Service Center will process my case. Moreover, the USCIS Case Status website indicates the status as "Fingerprint Fee Was Received" and it is mentioned that "Our Nebraska Service Center location is working on your case." However, based on the AOS Process Spreadsheet, it seems NBC (National Benefits Center) should process the DV cases. I'd like to ask if this is normal. Thank you!
Which Lockbox address did you mail your AOS package to and when did you mail it in?

Which Lockbox address did you mail your AOS package to and when did you mail it in?
I mailed my AOS package via FedEx on March 23 to USCIS Chicago Lockbox at

USCIS
Attn: AOS (Box 805887)
131 South Dearborn - 3rd Floor
Chicago, IL 60603-5517

and the package was delivered on March 24. I did early filing (my CN will be current on May 1st) and I have also a pending I-140 (EB2-NIW) in Nebraska Service Center.

I mailed my AOS package via FedEx on March 23 to USCIS Chicago Lockbox at

USCIS
Attn: AOS (Box 805887)
131 South Dearborn - 3rd Floor
Chicago, IL 60603-5517

and the package was delivered on March 24. I did early filing (my CN will be current on May 1st) and I have also a pending I-140 (EB2-NIW) in Nebraska Service Center.
1. What did you select in Part 2 Question 1 as the Application Type/Filing Category on your I-485 form?
2. Did you fill out questions Part Questions 3 to 9?
3. Did you reference your pending I-140 in any section of the I-485?

Hey y'all, I received my NOA letter on 3/21. I have USPS informed delivery and it showed a letter from USCIS last Friday (4/1) which never arrived. Assuming that it's my biometric appointment letter, how can I get another copy sent or see when it is? I don't know the appointment date/time and my case status is still just saying that my fingerprint fee was received.

Hey y'all, I received my NOA letter on 3/21. I have USPS informed delivery and it showed a letter from USCIS last Friday (4/1) which never arrived. Assuming that it's my biometric appointment letter, how can I get another copy sent or see when it is? I don't know the appointment date/time and my case status is still just saying that my fingerprint fee was received.
Chat with Emma