• Hello Members, This forums is for DV lottery visas only. For other immigration related questions, please go to our forums home page, find the related forum and post it there.

DV 2021 Oceania Selectees

Hi,
So, what actually does CURRENT means on VISA BULLETIN. Kind of confuse here.
CURRENT means CNs are no longer subject to cut-offs and have become eligible to be scheduled for an interview, however this CURRENT is not applicable to countries subject to the "Exception rule". CNs under the Exception rule are still limited by the imposed cut-off numbers for those countries subject to the exception.

Hi Fellow Oceanians
I am curious to know of the reasons why some of our fellow interviewees were refused their visas in the past few days. If someone can share their story here for our information and to give us insight as we prepare for interview.
Vinaka.

Hi Fellow Oceanians
I am curious to know of the reasons why some of our fellow interviewees were refused their visas in the past few days. If someone can share their story here for our information and to give us insight as we prepare for interview.
It appears Oceania has the highest number of refusals at the moment than any other region.

I’ve only ever read of one Oceania member posting their refusal story on here, a family who were not married at time of entry (they were in a long term de facto marriage) entered as married, got married before submitting DS260, then, if what they said is true, arrived early at the Sydney consulate for their interview, the payment system wasn’t working, they eventually managed to go to an ATM and withdrew the cash (over 1K USD for all interview fees) consulate kept them waiting to the last case of the day to be interviewed, then when they went to the interview window were immediately told they were disqualified due to entering as married when they were not, and basically told to p*ss off as the consulate was now closing.

BritSimon knows more on this case as he said he would privately contact that member as he knew of other cases with the same circumstances that were approved.

This was NOT a DV2021 case, by memory it was a DV2019 case.

Pretty poor form by the Sydney consulate if that is true, there really needs to be someone with the powers of a CO at KCC who can make a decision a case is obviously disqualified BEFORE the interview, as if the above case is true, that family would have lost several thousand dollars on medical fees/plane fares/accomodation fees and consulate fees only to be immediately told NO At the interview, when that decision could (and should) have been made by KCC BEFORE the above expenses were lost.

What makes it even worse if true is other cases with the same circumstances have been approved.

It appears Oceania has the highest number of refusals at the moment than any other region.

I’ve only ever read of one Oceania member posting their refusal story on here, a family who were not married at time of entry (they were in a long term de facto marriage) entered as married, got married before submitting DS260, then, if what they said is true, arrived early at the Sydney consulate for their interview, the payment system wasn’t working, they eventually managed to go to an ATM and withdrew the cash (over 1K USD for all interview fees) consulate kept them waiting to the last case of the day to be interviewed, then when they went to the interview window were immediately told they were disqualified due to entering as married when they were not, and basically told to p*ss off as the consulate was now closing.

BritSimon knows more on this case as he said he would privately contact that member as he knew of other cases with the same circumstances that were approved.

Pretty poor form by the Sydney consulate if that is true, there really needs to be someone with the powers of a CO at KCC who can make a decision a case is obviously disqualified BEFORE the interview, as if the above case is true, that family would have lost several thousand dollars on medical fees/plane fares/accomodation fees and consulate fees only to be immediately told NO At the interview, when that decision could (and should) have been made by KCC BEFORE the above expenses were lost.

What makes it even worse if true is other cases with the same circumstances have been approved.
Indeed, Oceania records the highest no. of refusals thus far. This is why I am a bit anxious.

Indeed, Oceania records the highest no. of refusals thus far. This is why I am a bit anxious.
I really wouldn't worry. As long as you've followed the instructions, the interview is a formality. There are very few cases of refusals in OC among members of this forum as we tend to sweat the details and be well prepared. There is even a YouTuber from Australia whose diversity visa was approved after having been previously arrested in the US for overstaying a visa. Hopefully you're already in a better situation than she was! So, while I understand the anxiety this process causes, try to take it easy :)

I really wouldn't worry. As long as you've followed the instructions, the interview is a formality. There are very few cases of refusals in OC among members of this forum as we tend to sweat the details and be well prepared. There is even a YouTuber from Australia whose diversity visa was approved after having been previously arrested in the US for overstaying a visa. Hopefully you're already in a better situation than she was! So, while I understand the anxiety this process causes, try to take it easy :)
Thanks for the assurance. I look forward to what will unfold in the next few weeks for me in terms of interview schedule. I am trusting the process.

She only had a very minor immigration violation, one night in jail for a very simple mistake.

The FAM actually talks about being inadmissible based on criminal histories.

Contrary to what some say, a criminal history does NOT prevent a DV (or any other visa) from being issued.

It appears if your have any kind of record (even if no conviction was recorded) for drugs, prostitution, more than one offence where the total sentences (not potential sentences) exceeds 5 years or crimes involving “moral turpitude” you “may” have a problem.

The FAM lists crimes that are considered crimes of moral turpitude, they appear to be crimes where deliberate dishonesty has occurred.

She only had a very minor immigration violation, one night in jail for a very simple mistake.

Contrary to what some say, a criminal history does NOT prevent a DV (or any other visa) from being issued.

It appears if your have any kind of record (even if no conviction was recorded) for drugs, prostitution, more than one offence where the total sentences (not potential sentences) exceeds 5 years or crimes involving “moral turpitude” you “may” have a problem.

The FAM lists crimes that are considered crimes of moral turpitude, they appear to be crimes where deliberate dishonesty has occurred.
I didn't say she shouldn't have got her visa. You are illustrating my point though: people on this forum definitely sweat the details!

This is why they have made it explicit in the rules for the past couple of years, that stating you are married when you are not will lead to disqualification. If there were prior discrepancies clearly some were mistakes -whether the granting or the refusals - now it is clear. (Not interested in debating the specifics of the case above other than to say if you know you have to “get” married later then clearly entering as married sounds wrong)

As to the “poor form”, well, that’s subjective. There are some embassies where the (non CO) person accepting the documents will “pre read” the application and give people the chance to withdraw before paying if it looks like there is a disqualifying factor, but most expect you to wear your big boy pants, read the rules and understand whether or not you qualify. As you presumably know, only the consular officer interviewing you can make a final decision on whether or not you qualify, so no, no-one at KCC can -or should - do this. What a monumental waste and duplication of resources that would be.

I do recall at least a couple of refusals from OC in past years where education did not meet the qualifying standards.

Yea, I can attest to this personally. I had a youth DUI 14 years ago. Was just a 3 month loss of license and a $250 fine. I declared it and provided the certified court record & it wasn’t even mentioned at my interview. I expected them to at least acknowledge it, so that was interesting and I must say a relief.

This is why they have made it explicit in the rules for the past couple of years, that stating you are married when you are not will lead to disqualification. If there were prior discrepancies clearly some were mistakes -whether the granting or the refusals - now it is clear. (Not interested in debating the specifics of the case above other than to say if you know you have to “get” married later then clearly entering as married sounds wrong)

As to the “poor form”, well, that’s subjective. There are some embassies where the (non CO) person accepting the documents will “pre read” the application and give people the chance to withdraw before paying if it looks like there is a disqualifying factor, but most expect you to wear your big boy pants, read the rules and understand whether or not you qualify. As you presumably know, only the consular officer interviewing you can make a final decision on whether or not you qualify, so no, no-one at KCC can -or should - do this. What a monumental waste and duplication of resources that would be.

I do recall at least a couple of refusals from OC in past years where education did not meet the qualifying standards.
You really do need to pay close attention to every word I say in my posts Susie IF you want to reply to them.

I said it was poor form by the Sydney consulate IF the married couple’s story was true.

Are you saying it’s not poor form to collect over 1K USD in interview fees, from A FAMILY, and as soon as the interview commenced, before any questions were asked, they were told they were disqualified?

If the case was so obvious for disqualification that no questions were asked at the interview, the disqualification should have happened before the interview was even scheduled, if anything, to give the interview spot and the at least 3 available visas to other selectees who DID qualify for a DV, but perhaps missed out because OC didn’t go current that year.

It gives the
Impression to a lay person the Sydney consulate was just collecting “easy money”.

And your continued opinions (which appear correct) that this embassy does it this way and that embassy does it that way doesn’t help.

All embassies operate under the same INA and therefore all embassies (should) be the operating the same. Instead, you have people in NZ stressing because they didn’t post their documents in on time to the Auckland consulate, yet “across the ditch” 3 hours away by plane in Sydney you just turn up on the day with your documents.

Refusals at Sydney due to failing to have the required education? Do you have any links to any posts regarding that? Because you know how subjective and open to interpretation education is? although after the correspondence I have seen that’s about to be sent to the Consul General in Sydney, there may be an amendment to the FAM, or at least Sydney’s “policy” on education requirements for a DV. It may be the case that many Australian selectees got DVs based on their education when they should not have, and in the future, only a year 12 HSC WITH ATAR # will be accepted, rather than the HSC with no ATAR, just like (it appears) the US high school education needs the SAT score to apply for (proper) US college admission, as without the SAT college admission is unlikely.

KCC should not be pre vetting DV cases? Oh of course, what was I thinking, KCC are too busy already, and those BritSimon YouTube videos that allege KCC lose documents, do nothing etc is fake
news.

If there were a DV year where extra pre interview vetting should be done to make sure every one who gets one of the limited interview spots is not obviously disqualified, it is this year.

Oh hang on, just checked the VB, OC and most of the world has (now) gone current, relax, we’re all getting interviews.......

I was addressing the so-called case in the post.
feel free to vent all you want, but I have no desire to engage in pointless arguments about who should do what according to a bunch of anonymous posters on the internet. Maybe someone else will.
There is a search bar at the top of the page.

Hi @tinaipau I would be interested to know too!
I haven't looked at the stats myself but Oceania might not have the highest number of refusals, it just depends how you are measuring the number. You also must take in to consideration the number of interviews that Oceania has had so far in comparison with the other regions, and also consider converting the stats in to % when measuring.

If anyone does have arrests or convictions and are worried about refusals. I fully recommend using an immigration lawyer, I have one in the family (deals with AUS/NZ visa, not US) and they are SO knowledgeable when it comes to the nuances involved in immigration law. There are loads of little (almost) hidden clauses and exceptions written in the acts that they know of and they can advise you during the interview.

Hey All, Just discovered this forum, how great! Brisbane based here, case number sub 150. Submitted DS260 late March and docs early April with confirmation and ready to be scheduled email not long after. Just wanted to know roughly when the 2NL's are sent out? Is it normally a certain time each month?

Hey All, Just discovered this forum, how great! Brisbane based here, case number sub 150. Submitted DS260 late March and docs early April with confirmation and ready to be scheduled email not long after. Just wanted to know roughly when the 2NL's are sent out? Is it normally a certain time each month?
It’s usually mid month right after the visa bulletin is released, then another lot at the end of the month. They still haven’t done June 2NLs yet so they should be coming any day now! :)