• Hello Members, This forums is for DV lottery visas only. For other immigration related questions, please go to our forums home page, find the related forum and post it there.

DV 2021 AOS Only

Hi,

I was going to apply for AOS but I decided not to since there might be problems in the interview process. However, I sent my DV fee 15 days ago. Currently, I am on F-1 visa but I will have to renew it for the OPT process. Can I renew my F-1 visa in this situation? Does sending DV fee count as "applying for green card" and "showing immigration intent"? If it does, is there anything I can do on this issue?

Additionaly, if that is the case, can I exit and enter the country with my current F-1 visa?

Thank you!
Seems to me like you're mixing up visa and status here. The F1 visa is basically the stamp put on your passport by the embassy, this is the document authorizing your admission into the US. It is different from being in F1 status. So is it your visa stamp that needs to be renewed, as in you will be applying to the embassy when you depart from the US for a new F1 visa?

Your DV $330 payment constitutes a demonstrated immigrant intent. If you will indeed have to apply for a new visa from the embassy because your current visa is about to expire, you may have a tough time being issued with one on the basis of that demonstrated immigrant intent. If your current visa is still valid when you need to return to the US (there is no problem with departing from the US following a demonstrated immigrant intent), you probably should be okay with being re-admitted provided you haven't done any other thing to violate your current F1 status.

Seems to me like you're mixing up visa and status here. The F1 visa is basically the stamp put on your passport by the embassy, this is the document authorizing your admission into the US. It is different from being in F1 status. So is it your visa stamp that needs to be renewed, as in you will be applying to the embassy when you depart from the US for a new F1 visa?

Your DV $330 payment constitutes a demonstrated immigrant intent. If you will indeed have to apply for a new visa from the embassy because your current visa is about to expire, you may have a tough time being issued with one on the basis of that demonstrated immigrant intent. If your current visa is still valid when you need to return to the US (there is no problem with departing from the US following a demonstrated immigrant intent), you probably should be okay with being re-admitted provided you haven't done any other thing to violate your current F1 status.
Hi,

Thank you very much! I have a couple of follow-up questions though:

- Is there a way to take my "application" back? I have sent the cashier's check 10 or so days ago. I still do not have my receipt. If there is, would that mean that "the intent" is also taken back, or will that show up no matter what in the future?
- I didn't do anything to violate my F-1 status and I have the visa stamp until December 2023. So, can I go visit my family multiple times during a year without having the risk of rejection for re-admission?
- I will need to renew my F-1 stamp because I will have my OPT at that point. Does that change anything?

Thank you very much again.

Hi,

Thank you very much! I have a couple of follow-up questions though:

- Is there a way to take my "application" back? I have sent the cashier's check 10 or so days ago. I still do not have my receipt. If there is, would that mean that "the intent" is also taken back, or will that show up no matter what in the future?
- I didn't do anything to violate my F-1 status and I have the visa stamp until December 2023. So, can I go visit my family multiple times during a year without having the risk of rejection for re-admission?
- I will need to renew my F-1 stamp because I will have my OPT at that point. Does that change anything?

Thank you very much again.
1. I don’t know of any way to take back your “application”. You can look into canceling the cashier’s check if it hasn’t been cashed.
2. How about the unauthorized income earned via your account by your friend? If CBP finds out about it, that translates into you having violated your F1 status, they will not buy the story about your friend using the account just so you know. And I’m sorry I don’t work with CBP, I can’t give you the assurance you’re seeking about being admitted or re-admitted every time you depart from the US.
3. I don’t see the correlation between OPT and the need for a visa stamp if you’re already in the US doing your OPT.

And I think we already went over all these questions back in April anyways. You should refer back to that post.

Mine has changed in the evening to "The fingerprints relating to your Form I-485 Application to Register Permanent Residence or Adjust Status, were taken".
I am confused about the 2NL. Is it the letter you get after you submit the DS260 (saying 2021AS0000XXXX), or it something we will get after we pay the DV processing fee? (I sent mine on April 21st) and have not received it yet?

Apart from your friend, are there others listed on the spreadsheet who filed the same period as you? Precisely when did you send in your AOS package (actual date if possible)?
Our case is rejected because of I-485 not filed correctly. That’s ways they sent all documents back to me. We are waiting to received our documents then we will resubmit again. I hope we can get interview before September of 30th

This might be a silly question... but are you sure your package was delivered to the right place? Do you have a tracking number and it had someone's signature for receiving it? I googled the name who signed my package and confirmed the person worked at the Chicago lockbox (when I was anxiously waiting for my receipt).

>50 days seems to be a long time and it's even more bizarre that someone attempted to cash the check but failed.
Our case is rejected because of I-485 not filed correctly. That’s ways they sent all documents back to me. We are waiting to received our documents then we will resubmit again. I hope we can get interview before September of 30th

Can you say how ur things was not correctly filled?
Did you put N/A on all the place that did not apply for you?
did you forget to fill some parts? it is a way to help other to avoid making the same mistake
TIA

Can you say how ur things was not correctly filled?
Did you put N/A on all the place that did not apply for you?
did you forget to fill some parts? it is a way to help other to avoid making the same mistake
TIA
The N/A should not possess a risk though, should it? (yes, the N/A is material straight out from my worst nightmares lol)

I am confused about the 2NL. Is it the letter you get after you submit the DS260 (saying 2021AS0000XXXX), or it something we will get after we pay the DV processing fee? (I sent mine on April 21st) and have not received it yet?
I am not sure, how your question relates to my answer regarding status change after bio appointment.

But as to 2NL, if you have read this thread or if you would just do a search in this thread for 2NL, Mom already has answered it multiple times, and here is a link to her response with examples of 2NL.

This letter is not an email, that we receive after we submitted ds260 it is a different letter from KCC, that they are aware that you are processing AOS. As I remember some people received it few weeks after submitting ds260 or making a DV processing payment.

Please take a look at the timelines to know, how much time does it usually takes to receive 2NL. I received mine a month after I paid DV payment and submitted ds260.

Hi mom,
After my MS I got OPT and worked for 6 months, then I moved to PhD. When filing I485 can I put A number of the expired EAD. That's the only EAD card I had. Thanks.

Question in I485
Part 1. 24. What is current immigration status (if it has changed since your arrival) ?
In 23.C I answered my status as F1 student. So I think I have to put N/A to 24 since my status hasn't change from last arrival. Am I correct?

Question in I485
Part 1. 24. What is current immigration status (if it has changed since your arrival) ?
In 23.C I answered my status as F1 student. So I think I have to put N/A to 24 since my status hasn't change from last arrival. Am I correct?
If a question does not apply to you, put N/A.