• Hello Members, This forums is for DV lottery visas only. For other immigration related questions, please go to our forums home page, find the related forum and post it there.

DV 2021 AOS Only

Quick question folks

I’ve observed in other pages of this forum (dv2020 AOS) people expressing concerns about the “early filing”.

Isn’t it true that it’s been mentioned on USCIS website?! (Basically their own recommendation)
(I know there might have been cases being denied but isn’t it true that majority of early filings are fine?!)
Footnote: My field office is Milwaukee (WI) and I talked to 2 friends who won the dv of 2019 and 2016. Both said they’ve done early filings without any issues! Based on that isn’t it safe (at least with my field office)?!
Many thanks in advance
Yes, most of them are fine, but nothing is guaranteed.

Ask your school’s DSO. If they confirm the unpaid internship is allowed, then your good.
My school's DSO said as long as I do not get any compensation, I am good. So... when I filled out I-485 under employment history section, do I need to include those experience in it?

1. Utilization of the I-944 to demonstrate self sufficiency or that one isn’t likely to become a public charge is currently suspended. So if you cannot find it on USCIS’s website, it is not required to be submitted with the I-485.

2&3. Whatever is used to assess you will be applicable to your and all of your derivatives.

4. Get your employer to issue you with an employment verification letter. The employer should be able to generate this without you having to disclose why you need it.

I saw that the public charge was back again and the injuction only applies to New york , Conneticut and Vermont. The rest of the states needs to apply. Is this understanding wrong ?. I dont know how relaiable the source is , though i would see what you guys know about this.

source :

Last edited by a moderator:
I saw that the public charge was back again and the injuction only applies to New york , Conneticut and Vermont. The rest of the states needs to apply. Is this understanding wrong ?. I dont know how relaiable the source is , though i would see what you guys know about this.

source :

The embedded media in your post has been deleted considering you can’t even vouch for it. Current information (as of today) regard I-944 and public charge is available from USCIS’s website - authoritative source

Hello Mom,

The form i-485 and i-944 instructions say answers all questions or write N/A if the question does not apply to you. I have downloaded the latest updates of the forms and trying to fill electronically some of the questions does not accept N/A but they do accept NA.
1. Is it ok to use NA instead of N/A?
2. Is it necessary to put NA or N/A at every blank space? For instance, I entered my first and last name, but I do not have a middle name should I leave it blank or enter N/A?
3. I have printed my i-94 last month does that work or should I reprint it just before submitting my application?
4. On my i-94 it the duration of stay is written as DS for my F1 visa entry but the form i-485 requires in mm/dd/yyyy format. How can I answer this question?

Thank you for your time.

Last edited:
hi so i have unique issue ,

I applied for DV 2021 ( married ) I am the primary applicant. I applied using a new photo and i am planning on doing AOS. My wife (derivative) is doing CP because she is not in the USA . I asked my wife to send a photo and unfortunatley she has sent me an old photo , maybe she had used this on an older DV ( before we were married). I just found this unfortunately!!.
What complications would i have coz her photo was old.....i know that my wife would be only processed after my i 485 is approved ...Should i go ahead or just maybe drop out. if she goes to the interview and the photo issues comes up will my GC be revoked too ....

I applied for DV 2021 ( married ) I am the primary applicant. I applied using a new photo and i am planning on doing AOS. My wife (derivative) is doing CP because she is not in the USA . I asked my wife to send a photo and unfortunatley she has sent me an old photo , maybe she had used this on an older DV ( before we were married). I just found this unfortunately!!.
What complications would i have coz her photo was old.....i know that my wife would be only processed after my i 485 is approved ...Should i go ahead or just maybe drop out. if she goes to the interview and the photo issues comes up will my GC be revoked too ....

technically this is disqualifying, in practice - if I recall correctly - we have not seen reports anywhere outside of the bogota embassy that has disqualified people for using old photos. We have specifically seen a number of people stating they got approved despite using old and previously submitted photos. Of course, nothing is guaranteed, but if I were you, I would not abandon the case based just on that.
And no, if she is denied for any reason, it will not affect your approval. In the unlikely event she gets denied for an old photo, you woild therefore be able to sponsor her an immigrant visa via F2A.

As Susie says, it's not a problem. It's even less of a problem considering she is the derivative, and less still considering she is doing a FTJ process. In short. No problem.

technically this is disqualifying, in practice - if I recall correctly - we have not seen reports anywhere outside of the bogota embassy that has disqualified people for using old photos. We have specifically seen a number of people stating they got approved despite using old and previously submitted photos. Of course, nothing is guaranteed, but if I were you, I would not abandon the case based just on that.
And no, if she is denied for any reason, it will not affect your approval. In the unlikely event she gets denied for an old photo, you woild therefore be able to sponsor her an immigrant visa via F2A.
As Susie says, it's not a problem. It's even less of a problem considering she is the derivative, and less still considering she is doing a FTJ process. In short. No problem.

Thank you guys .. i was initially thinking just let my i-485 get apporved , then just not let her go to the interview (CP) and then sponsor her . But as susie said if they cant revoke my green card based off of her photo , i guess ill just proceed.

On the side not what is FTJ process?

sorry i forget to mention clearly ..she had used this in an previous DV entry unfortuantely!

Hello Mom,

The form i-485 and i-944 instructions say answers all questions or write N/A if the question does not apply to you. I have downloaded the latest updates of the forms and trying to fill electronically some of the questions does not accept N/A but they do accept NA.
1. Is it ok to use NA instead of N/A?
2. Is it necessary to put NA or N/A at every blank space? For instance, I entered my first and last name, but I do not have a middle name should I leave it blank or enter N/A?
3. I have printed my i-94 last month does that work or should I reprint it just before submitting my application?
4. On my i-94 it the duration of stay is written as DS for my F1 visa entry but the form i-485 requires in mm/dd/yyyy format. How can I answer this question?

Thank you for your time.

1. They both mean the same thing.
2. Don’t include NA as middle name, it is okay to leave that section blank. Also use your discretion as to which sections to leave blank or may require “N/A“ or “None” as the applicable response.
3. Doesn’t matter when the I-94 was printed as long as you’ve not traveled out and back since it was issued.
4. You can disable java script on in order to type into DS into that box: (this should also address the N/A)
Select Edit>Preferences
Select the JavaScript Category
Uncheck the ‘Enable Acrobat JavaScript’ option
Click OK

Alternatively, complete those fields by hand after downloading the form.

Thank you guys .. i was initially thinking just let my i-485 get apporved , then just not let her go to the interview (CP) and then sponsor her . But as susie said if they cant revoke my green card based off of her photo , i guess ill just proceed.

On the side not what is FTJ process?

An overview of the FTJ (Follow To Join) process is described here. More details below as described in 9FAM 502.6

Following-to-Join Applicants:
DV applicants are informed in the electronic notification of how to adjust status to lawful permanent residence in the United States. A principal applicant who has adjusted status may file Form I-824, Application for Action on an Approved Application or Petition with USCIS requesting DHS send the Form I-824, upon its adjudication, to consular posts as verification of his or her LPR status. Upon receipt of this information, posts must send any derivative family members instructions for accessing the Form DS-260, Online Application for Immigrant Visa and Alien Registration, and the Packets for Immigrant Visa Processing (see 9 FAM 504.4-2(A)(2)) for completion. Post must notify the KCC of the adjustment of the principal applicant so that the electronic case can be modified and transmitted to post to allow visa issuance to the derivative family members. Proof of the principal applicant’s adjustment of status must be provided to the KCC. Posts can then process these cases to conclusion, obtaining additional DV numbers from the Immigrant Visa Control and Reporting Division (CA/VO/DO/I) as necessary, via Visas Frog messages (see 9 FAM 504.3-2(B)). Spouses and children who derive status from a DV application can only obtain visas in the DV category during the same Fiscal Year in which the principal applicant was admitted or adjusted status. Derivative applicants cannot follow-to-join after the end of the Fiscal Year in which the principal applicant was admitted or adjusted status.

1. They both mean the same thing.
2. Don’t include NA as middle name, it is okay to leave that section blank. Also use your discretion as to which sections to leave blank or may require “N/A“ or “None” as the applicable response.
3. Doesn’t matter when the I-94 was printed as long as you’ve not traveled out and back since it was issued.
4. You can disable java script on in order to type into DS into that box: (this should also address the N/A)
Select Edit>Preferences
Select the JavaScript Category
Uncheck the ‘Enable Acrobat JavaScript’ option
Click OK

Alternatively, complete those fields by hand after downloading the form.

Thank you very much.