• Hello Members, This forums is for DV lottery visas only. For other immigration related questions, please go to our forums home page, find the related forum and post it there.

DV 2021 AOS Only

Hi everyone,

We completed our bios last week in NYC (code 3 bios). When I check the spreadsheet I see many others in NYC have received their IL already and ours with a few others (after us) have not yet. When should I really start to be more concerned? I am trying to let the process play out, and would expect to receive the IL at the end of this week or next, but that will only allow 4-6 weeks for action. Would appreciate any advice?

Last edited:
Hi everyone,

We completed our bios last week in NYC (code 3 bios). When I check the spreadsheet I see many others in NYC have received their IL already and ours with a few others (after us) have not yet. When should I really start to be more concerned? I am trying to let the process play out, and would expect to receive the IL at the end of this week or next, but that will only allow 4-6 weeks for action. Would appreciate any advice?
Have you contacted the USCIS agent using Live Chat?

Hi, here is some update about our case. Today (Sunday) at 5pm we got acceptance sms about my kid’s package (was rejected previously because of the incorrect amount of money on the first check I’ve sent [facepalm]). Got the package back and sent it again on the same or the next day.

Seems USPS has lost my NOA, since yesterday we got two bio letters (for me and my wife) which were sent 4 days after the NOA were sent to us + my wife got her NOA on the last week.

We hope tomorrow USCIS will take the money and sent my child’s NOA and schedule the bio on the same date we have for us.

But one question about bio, should we try walk in for me/my wife before we got bio scheduled for our kid? We are in Bay Area, CA so I’m not sure if any office here will let us in before the scheduled date.

1. Mom might correct but as that has all already been proven where it’s needed (to approve your case), he shouldn’t need any of that.

2. Do you have your green card yet? A copy of that and/or your A number should suffice.

1. He shouldn’t need those.
2. Why do you think the NBC now has your AOS file and not your FO? Anyway, both the NBC and the FO are all part of USCIS. The embassy reaches out to the approving FO, the FO figures out how to get the approved AOS case file to the embassy.

Congrats! May I know when did you send your I-824?
Did you call uscis to explain it's a dv-based FTJ and needs to be expedited once you got your 824 receipt number?

Add one more question: How long did it take to get the receipt number?
Sent out on July 1st and couple days ago shows $465 by chicago lock box but have not received receipt number..

Thank you!
Thank you @SusieQQQ and @Sm1smom for your response. @worker132 please referred to my long story below. You should receive receipt notice soon.

Our FTJ timeline:
03/24/2021 Sent civil documents to KCC
05/10/2021 Received I-485 approval notice
05/14/2021 I-824 was received by the Chicago lockbox
05/17/2021 Initiated congressional inquiry
05/31/2021 I-824 was accepted (received text message)
06/01/2021 Congresswoman's office submitted expedite request/inquiry on my behalf
06/02/2021 I-824 fee ($465) cashed
06/03/2021 Received I-824 receipt notice
07/16/2021 Sent supporting document for I-824 expedite request to Congresswoman's office
07/21/2021 Congresswoman's office forwarded the full rundown from the USCIS FO to me; Congresswoman's office also forwarded the full run down to the embassy
07/22/2021 Received interview notification; embassy replied to the Congresswoman's office that they had requested our files from KCC; CEAC case status "In transit" to "Ready" later the day
08/18/2021 Interview at the embassy

I had contacted my embassy and KCC as soon as I finished my AOS interview. However, the embassy refused to take action on our case and requested me to submit I-824 during numerous email communication. I initiated congressional inquiry right after I-824 was delivered. Our case is the first-ever DV-based FTJ that the Congresswoman's office has processed. The staff from the Congresswoman's office is super helpful and has been in contact with the Chicago lockbox, USCIS local office, NBC, KCC and my embassy on my behalf. I was unsure, but my guess was that I-824 was accepted relatively quickly because of his communication with the Chicago lockbox. During the whole of Jun to mid-July, I believe there was very intense communication between the Congresswoman's office and all the offices I mentioned above. He even inquired with the Midwest USCIS supervising office. In the meantime, the Congresswoman's office asked me to prepare supporting documents on the ground of severe financial loss for the expedite request of I-824.

In the full rundown from the local USCIS office, they clarified that the embassy will obtain the necessary documents from the applicants once they receive the request of FTJ to be initiated. The necessary documents could include Form I-824. In addition, the local office pointed out that NBC was in possession of my immigration record, including the approved I-485. They also forwarded the congressional inquiry to NBC to consider expedite processing of Form I-824 on the ground of financial hardship. However, as of today, I-824 is still pending.

The embassy basically requested our files from KCC as soon as they received the full rundown forwarded by the Congresswoman's office, and the interview was scheduled right away. Our CEAC status changed from "At NVC" to "In transit" to "Ready" within one day. My take-home is that the FTJ interview CAN be scheduled within a very short time AS LONG AS the embassy is willing to take action, as all the moderators have suggested.

I am super thankful to my Congresswoman's office. We would not have had the FTJ interview scheduled if we had not had help from the Congresswoman's office. I was planning to turn to Senator's office and seek their help during that seemingly long June, but in the end I followed @Sm1smom 's suggestion to keep working with the Congresswoman's office. So now we are just one step away from the family reunion. Fingers crossed! I hope the embassy can request my immigration record from the USCIS smoothly.

Thank you @SusieQQQ and @Sm1smom for your response. @worker132 please referred to my long story below. You should receive receipt notice soon.

Our FTJ timeline:
06/01/2021 Congresswoman's office submitted expedite request/inquiry on my behalf
07/16/2021 Sent supporting document for I-824 expedite request to Congresswoman's office
07/21/2021 Congresswoman's office forwarded the full rundown from the USCIS FO to me; Congresswoman's office also forwarded the full run down to the embassy
07/22/2021 Received interview notification; embassy replied to the Congresswoman's office that they had requested our files from KCC; CEAC case status "In transit" to "Ready" later the day

I had contacted my embassy and KCC as soon as I finished my AOS interview. However, the embassy refused to take action on our case and requested me to submit I-824 during numerous email communication. I initiated congressional inquiry right after I-824 was delivered. Our case is the first-ever DV-based FTJ that the Congresswoman's office has processed. The staff from the Congresswoman's office is super helpful and has been in contact with the Chicago lockbox, USCIS local office, NBC, KCC and my embassy on my behalf. I was unsure, but my guess was that I-824 was accepted relatively quickly because of his communication with the Chicago lockbox. During the whole of Jun to mid-July, I believe there was very intense communication between the Congresswoman's office and all the offices I mentioned above. He even inquired with the Midwest USCIS supervising office. In the meantime, the Congresswoman's office asked me to prepare supporting documents on the ground of severe financial loss for the expedite request of I-824.

In the full rundown from the local USCIS office, they clarified that the embassy will obtain the necessary documents from the applicants once they receive the request of FTJ to be initiated. The necessary documents could include Form I-824. In addition, the local office pointed out that NBC was in possession of my immigration record, including the approved I-485. They also forwarded the congressional inquiry to NBC to consider expedite processing of Form I-824 on the ground of financial hardship. However, as of today, I-824 is still pending.

The embassy basically requested our files from KCC as soon as they received the full rundown forwarded by the Congresswoman's office, and the interview was scheduled right away. Our CEAC status changed from "At NVC" to "In transit" to "Ready" within one day. My take-home is that the FTJ interview CAN be scheduled within a very short time AS LONG AS the embassy is willing to take action, as all the moderators have suggested.

I am super thankful to my Congresswoman's office. We would not have had the FTJ interview scheduled if we had not had help from the Congresswoman's office. I was planning to turn to Senator's office and seek their help during that seemingly long June, but in the end I followed @Sm1smom 's suggestion to keep working with the Congresswoman's office. So now we are just one step away from the family reunion. Fingers crossed! I hope the embassy can request my immigration record from the USCIS smoothly.
Great update, thanks for providing this. It will be quite useful to other FTJs now and in the future. Fingers crossed for the embassy part of this journey. Looking forward to reading the update on the successful completion.
All the best to you guys!

Hi, here is some update about our case. Today (Sunday) at 5pm we got acceptance sms about my kid’s package (was rejected previously because of the incorrect amount of money on the first check I’ve sent [facepalm]). Got the package back and sent it again on the same or the next day.

Seems USPS has lost my NOA, since yesterday we got two bio letters (for me and my wife) which were sent 4 days after the NOA were sent to us + my wife got her NOA on the last week.

We hope tomorrow USCIS will take the money and sent my child’s NOA and schedule the bio on the same date we have for us.

But one question about bio, should we try walk in for me/my wife before we got bio scheduled for our kid? We are in Bay Area, CA so I’m not sure if any office here will let us in before the scheduled date.
Yes, you can attempt a walk-in as soon as you receive the bio letter.

Our FTJ timeline:

I assume you from MSP too right - can I know which congressmen/women office you contacted ?

Last edited:
Why is USCIS live chat so slow? Sometimes I press send but the message is not visible on the chat. Has anyone experienced this?

Yeah I've had that happen too. Sometimes I have to type the message 3 or 4 times to it to show up
That's annoying. Plus they just keep switching agents every time the chat system disconnects and then they ask you for the same security information to confirm your identity over and over.

Yes, they just state over and over wait to be informed for an interview. Should I ask if the case file has been transferred to the NY FO? Should I wait a little longer before congressional query?
Hi YouNeverKnow, as I already reported in my previous message, NYC has three FOs (i.e. Manhattan, Queens, Brooklyn). People who received their IL were under Manhattan and Brooklyn jurisdictions. Since you got your BIO at LIC facility, I suppose that your are under the Queens's FO jurisdiction. You can check this in the USCIS website using your ZIP code. If so, we are in the same situation (you can see my case status in the timeline spreadsheet). Today I got my Bio done at LIC facility and I did not received the IL yet. Probably our FO operates in a different way compared to his/her colleagues in NYC. IMHO, we still have enough time to get an interview in the following weeks and obtain our GCs. However, starting a congressional inquiry is a personal choice. As far as I am concerned, I prefer to wait at least till next week to see if the FO will start to schedule appointment by him/her self. I will keep you posted.

Last edited:
Hi mom, I just received an email from the Los Angeles FO saying this:

"Review of your I-485 application indicates proof of payment for your DV application was not submitted. Please provide proof of DV application payment. You may email the proof of payment or fax it to ..... Please reply to this email acknowledging receipt."

I still haven't heard back from KCC about my receipt. If you recall, I had forgotten to include the SASE with my payment and asked for it to be emailed back to me. It's been 3 times I have emailed them now. All I have is a copy of the bank check, transaction receipt and bank statement showing the payment was taken out. What do you suggest I do from this point? Email what I have to the FO or call them? Pay the DV fee again?

Hey folks, just a quick update that we had our biometrics done this morning at the ASC in Brooklyn, NY. It went very smoothly. They're well organized and adhere strictly to COVID hygiene protocols. It went really quick, took around 15 minutes. Now we're waiting for our interview on August 17!

Hi YouNeverKnow, as I already reported in my previous message, NYC has three FOs (i.e. Manhattan, Queens, Brooklyn). People who received their IL were under Manhattan and Brooklyn jurisdictions. Since you got your BIO at LIC facility, I suppose that your are under the Queens's FO jurisdiction. You can check this in the USCIS website using your ZIP code. If so, we are in the same situation (you can see my case status in the timeline spreadsheet). Today I got my Bio done at LIC facility and I did not received the IL yet. Probably our FO operates in a different way compared to his/her colleagues in NYC. IMHO, we still have enough time to get an interview in the following weeks and obtain our GCs. However, starting a congressional inquiry is a personal choice. As far as I am concerned, I prefer to wait at least till next week to see if the FO will start to schedule appointment by him/her self. I will keep you posted.
Hi @Rick_USA, thanks for reaching you. Yeah you are correct, its the Queens FO I fall under also. I am thinking the same thing, to wait until mid August to see if they have scheduled the appointments given that will be 2 weeks after the bio. I will keep you posted also should I hear anything on my end. Hopefully they batch ours together and we get the ILs at the same time.

Thankls!

Quick update also from my side. I had my biometrics done this morning at Long Island City ASC. The LIC facility is super busy, and no walk-in appointments are allowed. It took overall 45 minutes - the line was very long at 7:45 AM - to get our fingerprints taken. Now I am waiting for the interview letter. I hope to receive it anytime soon.

Hi mom, I just received an email from the Los Angeles FO saying this:

"Review of your I-485 application indicates proof of payment for your DV application was not submitted. Please provide proof of DV application payment. You may email the proof of payment or fax it to ..... Please reply to this email acknowledging receipt."

I still haven't heard back from KCC about my receipt. If you recall, I had forgotten to include the SASE with my payment and asked for it to be emailed back to me. It's been 3 times I have emailed them now. All I have is a copy of the bank check, transaction receipt and bank statement showing the payment was taken out. What do you suggest I do from this point? Email what I have to the FO or call them? Pay the DV fee again?
You can send what you currently have to the FO, with an additional note stating KCC is yet to send you the payment receipt itself - do that ASAP!. Follow up with KCC by sending another email request for them to email you with a copy of the receipt (I suggest you use a new email page, and not use the old email thread to KCC by the way).