• Hello Members, This forums is for DV lottery visas only. For other immigration related questions, please go to our forums home page, find the related forum and post it there.

DV 2021 AOS Only

Read this post

Thank you for the answer. Judging from @SusieQQQ 's answer, I guess it is a rare thing but still a risk.

I wanted to do AOS to avoid any potential extension to the proclamation. My case number is 2021EU8XXX. If I apply for CP now and try to switch to AOS in November/December according to how things are going, would I have enough time to get my GC? I've checked DV2019 and DV2018 timelines, it shows my case number to usually get current in January anyway. Is there something I'm missing here? Do we expect important delays in AOS due to COVID or proclamation?

Sorry for asking speculative questions, but you guys seem to have a lot of experience so some speculation is still a valuable input to my decision process.

Thank you for the answer. Judging from @SusieQQQ 's answer, I guess it is a rare thing but still a risk.

I wanted to do AOS to avoid any potential extension to the proclamation. My case number is 2021EU8XXX. If I apply for CP now and try to switch to AOS in November/December according to how things are going, would I have enough time to get my GC? I've checked DV2019 and DV2018 timelines, it shows my case number to usually get current in January anyway. Is there something I'm missing here? Do we expect important delays in AOS due to COVID or proclamation?

Sorry for asking speculative questions, but you guys seem to have a lot of experience so some speculation is still a valuable input to my decision process.

1. Yes you’ll have enough time to complete the process if you decide to switch to AOS in Nov/Dec.

2. We don’t know the number of selectees for DV 2021 as of now, so no one knows with certainty when your CN might become current.

3. Like you rightly noted, that last question is indeed speculative. One would need a crystal ball to hazard a guess and fortunately or unfortunately, I don’t have one.

p.s. number your questions if you have more than one in a post.

I and my wife try to set up an online account with IRS to get access to our tax transcripts. They ask to provide last 8digits of my creditt card number. We get the message "the information you entered does not match our records". I tried to call to IRS at 18009089946, but they say "at this time we are unable to provide live assistance due to reduced staff level". Also currently IRS does not allow to request tax transcripts by mail. I and my wife would appreciate very much your advice how can we get our tax transcripts or any other solution given this situation.

Request for an action code to be sent to you by mail, they’ve resumed doing that. (Sorry your post was unintentionally skipped before).

Hello!

Suppose if an F-1 student(non-resident for tax purpose) mistakenly filed their 2019 tax returns using TurboTax (platform only for resident), as a result they automatically received the $1200.00 covid-19 stimulus check in their bank a/c.

1) How will/can this case affect their green card application through DV?
2) Would this be counted as a public charge?
3) Would they get a hard time when they file form I-944 where they have to show their recent bank statements/certificate?
4) How can they undo or at least mitigate the effects (if any) due to above mentioned situation?

Thank you!

Hello!

Suppose if an F-1 student(non-resident for tax purpose) mistakenly filed their 2019 tax returns using TurboTax (platform only for resident), as a result they automatically received the $1200.00 covid-19 stimulus check in their bank a/c.

1) How will/can this case affect their green card application through DV?
2) Would this be counted as a public charge?
3) Would they get a hard time when they file form I-944 where they have to show their recent bank statements/certificate?
4) How can they undo or at least mitigate the effects (if any) due to above mentioned situation?

Thank you!

1. Wait and see
2. Wait and see
3. Wait and see
4. Talk to a tax expert

Sorry I didn't quite get it! What exactly do you mean when you say "wait and see"? Like wait and see what?

Thanks!

As in I don’t know what will happen. You’ll have to wait and see what happens when your AOS petition gets adjudicated.

Sorry I didn't quite get it! What exactly do you mean when you say "wait and see"? Like wait and see what?

Thanks!
It’s not exactly like we’ve had past situations of applicants receiving stimulus checks they may not have been entitled to, to use as precedent. I don’t think anyone can give you a definitive answer one way or the other on this.

Hello,

I’m a PhD student on an F1 visa who won at the Green Card lottery ticket. I have a dual citizenship (Asian and European). My country of birth is in Asia so my country of eligibility is Asia. I’m currently living in the USA. I have a couple of questions:

– What do I risk if my green card application doesn’t succeed ? Will I still be able to finish my PhD (and possibly do an OPT in the USA) ? Will I be deported ? (since F1 visas are not compatible with dual intent).

– For official documents (birth certificate, passport etc…), is it ok to use my European ones ? Are there any documents that have to come from my birth country (Asia) and not Europe ?

- (Related to the first question) My case number is 2021AS00010xxx. It seems a bit high, from your experience, is it worth going through the application and showing a dual intent which might cause me problems in the future ?

Thank you!

Hello,

I’m a PhD student on an F1 visa who won at the Green Card lottery ticket. I have a dual citizenship (Asian and European). My country of birth is in Asia so my country of eligibility is Asia. I’m currently living in the USA. I have a couple of questions:

– What do I risk if my green card application doesn’t succeed ? Will I still be able to finish my PhD (and possibly do an OPT in the USA) ? Will I be deported ? (since F1 visas are not compatible with dual intent).

– For official documents (birth certificate, passport etc…), is it ok to use my European ones ? Are there any documents that have to come from my birth country (Asia) and not Europe ?

- (Related to the first question) My case number is 2021AS00010xxx. It seems a bit high, from your experience, is it worth going through the application and showing a dual intent which might cause me problems in the future ?

Thank you!

1. Assuming you continue to maintain your F1 status and do nothing to violate it while your AOS petition is pending, and at the end of the FY your AOS application is denied for some reason, you simply fall back to being in F1. The only thing at risk in this case is the ability to be issued with a new F1 visa (by the embassy) should the current on expires and you need to re-enter the US. The embassy may not be willing to issue a new NIV in that case in view of the previously demonstrated immigrant intent.

2. You should use the documents as applicable. Although for something such as the birth certificate, I don’t understand why you would have an European issued one if your country of birth is Asia.

3. This is a personal decision IMO. What may be considered a risky move by you may not necessarily be a risky move for me. You know your situation a lot more than I do. If it helps with your decision making, can always wait a while though and watch the VB progression before demonstrating an form of an immigrant intent.

1. Assuming you continue to maintain your F1 status and do nothing to violate it while your AOS petition is pending, and at the end of the FY your AOS application is denied for some reason, you simply fall back to being in F1. The only thing at risk in this case is the ability to be issued with a new F1 visa (by the embassy) should the current on expires and you need to re-enter the US. The embassy may not be willing to issue a new NIV in that case in view of the previously demonstrated immigrant intent.
Thank you for your response. If I simply fall back to being in F1 does that mean that I can still travel freely until my F1 visa expires? Or will I have problems being readmitted into the country? You mentioned that I might have some problems getting a new F1, do you know if I would have problems getting an OPT ?

3. This is a personal decision IMO. What may be considered a risky move by you may not necessarily be a risky move for me. You know your situation a lot more than I do. If it helps with your decision making, can always wait a while though and watch the VB progression before demonstrating an form of an immigrant intent.
I understand that it's a personal decision but I was wondering, given my case number, what are the chances that I would not get a chance to get an interview? It would also be very helpful to know what is the typical percentage of people that get rejected and the most common reasons (for someone in my situation, single, F1 student, no dependencies).

Thank you for your response. If I simply fall back to being in F1 does that mean that I can still travel freely until my F1 visa expires? Or will I have problems being readmitted into the country? You mentioned that I might have some problems getting a new F1, do you know if I would have problems getting an OPT ?

I understand that it's a personal decision but I was wondering, given my case number, what are the chances that I would not get a chance to get an interview? It would also be very helpful to know what is the typical percentage of people that get rejected and the most common reasons (for someone in my situation, single, F1 student, no dependencies).

1. Admission or re-admission to the US on a NIV is never guaranteed regardless of a demonstrated intent or not, so there’s no such thing as travel “freely” unless you’re a USC. You should be able to obtain your OPT.

2. Admittedly we currently do not know the total number of selectees for DV 2021, however your CN range typically becomes current around June/July. The possibility of not getting an interview or an approval often depends on how long it takes to or an inability to clear your background check. I don’t do percent analysis. You’re either approved or not approved. Cases get rejected for not following instructions when filing. Cases get denied because for not meeting the requirements or not being eligible to file AOS.

Request for an action code to be sent to you by mail, they’ve resumed doing that. (Sorry your post was unintentionally skipped before).

Hi Mom,

How to request an action code to be sent to me by mail? What is an action code? I tried to Google it but could not find anything useful on that. Is it related to sending 4506-T to IRS to get the tax transcript by mail?

(no problem, thank you for answering my initial post)

Thank you very much for your help!

Hi Mom,

How to request an action code to be sent to me by mail? What is an action code? I tried to Google it but could not find anything useful on that. Is it related to sending 4506-T to IRS to get the tax transcript by mail?

(no problem, thank you for answering my initial post)

Thank you very much for your help!

When filing out the IRS tax transcript request form online and you get to the section asking for your phone number, look towards the end/bottom of that page, you should see where it says request activation by mail. Select that in place of using your phone number.

When filing out the IRS tax transcript request form online and you get to the section asking for your phone number, look towards the end/bottom of that page, you should see where it says request activation by mail. Select that in place of using your phone number.
Hi Mom,

The problem is that I cannot get to the section asking for my phone number since I am still in previous section they are trying to verify my identity using my last8digits of my creditcard number, and when I provided it, they say "the information you entered does not match our records ". Is there a way to email IRS regarding this problem since they do not answer by phone? What would you suggest in case we cannot get our tax transcripts? Should I try sending 4506-T to IRS to give a try?

Thank you very much for your time and advice!

Hi Mom,

The problem is that I cannot get to the section asking for my phone number since I am still in previous section they are trying to verify my identity using my last8digits of my creditcard number, and when I provided it, they say "the information you entered does not match our records ". Is there a way to email IRS regarding this problem since they do not answer by phone? What would you suggest in case we cannot get our tax transcripts? Should I try sending 4506-T to IRS to give a try?

Thank you very much for your time and advice!

Give the 4506-T option a shot in that case.

Hey, in which case I should hire a lawyer if I won the DV lottery?
Also, my case number is 48×××. Do you have any chance to get my GReen card?