• Hello Members, This forums is for DV lottery visas only. For other immigration related questions, please go to our forums home page, find the related forum and post it there.

DV 2021 AOS Only

Is there a chance that we will see higher CNs than normal being processed in the first 3 months of the FY due to the ban? I ask because obviously AOS applicants are the only ones who can be processed, assuming the ban is upheld. But I don't know if that affects how they set the current CNs for the bulletin. Is it based on expected demand, or something else?

Is there a chance that we will see higher CNs than normal being processed in the first 3 months of the FY due to the ban? I ask because obviously AOS applicants are the only ones who can be processed, assuming the ban is upheld. But I don't know if that affects how they set the current CNs for the bulletin. Is it based on expected demand, or something else?

No, not likely. But, wait and see.

hi Mom, my situation as following.
Me: E2 VISA (E2 Principal)
Wife:E2 VISA(my spouse) and she won DV2021
Child:E2
in this case, my family can do AOS? or should we do CP?

hi Mom, my situation as following.
Me: E2 VISA (E2 Principal)
Wife:E2 VISA(my spouse) and she won DV2021
Child:E2
in this case, my family can do AOS? or should we do CP?

You may be eligible to process AOS, I however cannot tell you which option is best for you and your family. Go through the AOS process spreadsheet, review the AOS vs. CP tab for the pros and cons of each option. Then decide on what is best for you.

You may be eligible to process AOS, I however cannot tell you which option is best for you and your family. Go through the AOS process spreadsheet, review the AOS vs. CP tab for the pros and cons of each option. Then decide on what is best for you.

thank you for every time. we know TRUMP order therefore I shouldl decided AOS

The spreadsheet will not get so granular as to start calling out the FY for the VB. Doing so will create unnecessary work as I will need to remember to update the date section every time a new FY starts.

If you will change your mind, you can use this formula in a cell, which will take today's date and if it's beyond September, will write FY2021 and if it's prior to that, will write FY2020:
=concatenate("FY",IF(MONTH(today())>9,YEAR(today())+1,YEAR(today())))

Hello all,

Asking for a friend who planned to come to the U.S. for college on F-1 in Spring 2021. He has not applied yet and thus no F-1 visa.
He just found that he got DV2021AS23xxx, and he has not submitted his DS-260 yet. If he applies for school, gets the F-1 around Sept/Oct, comes to the U.S. at the beginning of Jan 2021, and maybe submit AOS around March depending on the bulletin, do you anticipate any potential problems?

Thank you for your help in advance!

Hello all,

Asking for a friend who planned to come to the U.S. for college on F-1 in Spring 2021. He has not applied yet and thus no F-1 visa.
He just found that he got DV2021AS23xxx, and he has not submitted his DS-260 yet. If he applies for school, gets the F-1 around Sept/Oct, comes to the U.S. at the beginning of Jan 2021, and maybe submit AOS around March depending on the bulletin, do you anticipate any potential problems?

Thank you for your help in advance!

Yes. Your friend cannot come into the US on a NIV with a preconceived intent of filing AOS. That is considered a fraudulent misuse of the NIV.

Yes. Your friend cannot come into the US on a NIV with a preconceived intent of filing AOS. That is considered a fraudulent misuse of the NIV.
In addition, this requirement should be fulfilled. Directly quoted from Uscis website, "There are, however, a small number of lottery winners each year who, at the time of “winning the lottery,” are residing in the United States in a nonimmigrant or other legal status ".

In addition, this requirement should be fulfilled. Directly quoted from Uscis website, "There are, however, a small number of lottery winners each year who, at the time of “winning the lottery,” are residing in the United States in a nonimmigrant or other legal status ".

Yes. And this is already called out on the AOS spreadsheet.

Yes. And this is already called out on the AOS spreadsheet.
mom, we saw a denial on this basis before right ?

Hi all, I apologize for the probably silly question, but I cannot find the answer by the search in the forum. This is regarding military records. My country has universal conscription and all males aged 18 years old or older have military records of some sort. During my studying in civil university I had furhter attended classes for training reserve officers in the military department of this universy. As result I have the military record, but there is noted that I have never served in the army.
1) I guess I should answer 'No' to the question 'Have you ever served in the military?' since it is clearly noted in my military record. Is it correct?
2) Do I need answer 'Yes' to the question 'Do you have any specialized skills or training, such as firearms, explosives, nuclear, biological, or chemical experience?', and explain that I studied in military department and trained as a reserve officer of Missile Forces and Artillery? My concern that I was studied in there tens years ago and have only theoretical knowledge about artilery, but never have practical experiense.
3) Do I need submit my military record with my AoS packet or I can bring it to the interview, just in case?

Very appretiate for your advices.

Good evening @Sm1smom !
My mom which is the principal applicant won the DV 2021 lottery (2021EU7XXX) and I am registered as a derivative. According to the ban imposed until December 31st, we are not allowed to pursue CP until the end of the year.
I am an F-1 student living in the US. Let's say that the ban gets extended for another year. Could I complete AOS in the US even if she doesn't get the chance to get a consular interview & green card abroad?
There is information regarding the follow-to-join procedure if the main applicant is the one adjusting status. What about in my situation?
Thank you so much for your help! If this is possible, I could avoid the ban with AOS.

Last edited:
Hi all, I apologize for the probably silly question, but I cannot find the answer by the search in the forum. This is regarding military records. My country has universal conscription and all males aged 18 years old or older have military records of some sort. During my studying in civil university I had furhter attended classes for training reserve officers in the military department of this universy. As result I have the military record, but there is noted that I have never served in the army.
1) I guess I should answer 'No' to the question 'Have you ever served in the military?' since it is clearly noted in my military record. Is it correct?
2) Do I need answer 'Yes' to the question 'Do you have any specialized skills or training, such as firearms, explosives, nuclear, biological, or chemical experience?', and explain that I studied in military department and trained as a reserve officer of Missile Forces and Artillery? My concern that I was studied in there tens years ago and have only theoretical knowledge about artilery, but never have practical experiense.
3) Do I need submit my military record with my AoS packet or I can bring it to the interview, just in case?

Very appretiate for your advices.

1. If your military record indicates you never served, the answer is NO.
2. You had the training regardless of not having a practical experience, so the answer is YES.
3. It needs to be submitted with the AOS package.

Good evening @Sm1smom !
My mom which is the principal applicant won the DV 2021 lottery (2021EU7XXX) and I am registered as a derivative. According to the ban imposed until December 31st, we are not allowed to pursue CP until the end of the year.
I am an F-1 student living in the US. Let's say that the ban gets extended for another year. Could I complete AOS in the US even if she doesn't get the chance to get a consular interview & green card abroad?
There is information regarding the follow-to-join procedure if the main applicant is the one adjusting status. What about in my situation?
Thank you so much for your help! If this is possible, I could avoid the ban with AOS.

As a derivative, you cannot file anything without the principal selectee getting an IV and actually entering the US to activate their LPR status first.

Good evening @Sm1smom !
No, a derivative cannot pursue a visa if the principal does not/cannot.

I am an F-1 student and have been in the U.S. for the last 2 years. I plan to change my U.S. address from August 1.
I have not yet submitted DS-260.
I am required to inform my university's international office about the change of address within 10 days.

1. Should I also inform USCIS about the change of address? Or as I have not started any process yet informing my university is enough.

2. Does changing address at this point complicate my case?

I am an F-1 student and have been in the U.S. for the last 2 years. I plan to change my U.S. address from August 1.
I have not yet submitted DS-260.
I am required to inform my university's international office about the change of address within 10 days.

1. Should I also inform USCIS about the change of address? Or as I have not started any process yet informing my university is enough.

2. Does changing address at this point complicate my case?
1. Usually, International office reports the address changes to SEVIES system (but some schools don't). SO check with your International office to make sure.
2. Address changes complicate the thing when you already file the AOS and you moved to a different state(change of FO). But since you haven't initiate anything, I don't think it will complicate anything. Also, I don't think you can file AOS by August since the fiscal year start from October (well, you can do the early filing but highly not recommended before start FY)