• Hello Members, This forums is for DV lottery visas only. For other immigration related questions, please go to our forums home page, find the related forum and post it there.

DV 2021 AOS Only

So AOS without visa, but with a good I94 is possile, great.
However I guess in case of an unsucessful AOS process the I94 is no good anymore either?

Again VISA expiration date has no impact on AOS processing. The VISA is simply the stamp on your passport that makes you eligible for admission into the US. The VISA could be expired one or two days following admission into the US, it doesn’t matter. What matters is the granted duration of stay as shown on the I-94.

The I-94 is valid for as long as stated on it. An unsuccessful AOS application does not invalidate the I-94, it continues to be valid for as long as the duration of stay stated on it.

Again VISA expiration date has no impact on AOS processing. The VISA is simply the stamp on your passport that makes you eligible for admission into the US. The VISA could be expired one or two days following admission into the US, it doesn’t matter. What matters is the granted duration of stay as shown on the I-94.

The I-94 is valid for as long as stated on it. An unsuccessful AOS application does not invalidate the I-94, it continues to be valid for as long as the duration of stay stated on it.
Awesome, thank you so much and keep up the fantasic work you guys do ☺

I had few questions:

1) I-944. Is this form required? My concern is that my current research/teaching assistant appointment as part of my F-1 PhD student funding might be a low income. Is that something to worry about? I have an excellent credit with long history, insurance, never filed for bankruptcy or public benefits, and have multiple degrees from the U.S. Also, I paid taxes during my authorized work periods.

2) As far as birth certificate, I understand that it has to be certified but does not have to notarized. I see that there are US companies that claim they provide translation that is accepted by the USCIS. Would this translation suffice? Or should I seek apostille-backed translation from the home country government?

I had few questions:

1) I-944. Is this form required? My concern is that my current research/teaching assistant appointment as part of my F-1 PhD student funding might be a low income. Is that something to worry about? I have an excellent credit with long history, insurance, never filed for bankruptcy or public benefits, and have multiple degrees from the U.S. Also, I paid taxes during my authorized work periods.

2) As far as birth certificate, I understand that it has to be certified but does not have to notarized. I see that there are US companies that claim they provide translation that is accepted by the USCIS. Would this translation suffice? Or should I seek apostille-backed translation from the home country government?

1. Form I-944 is a required document for AOS.

2. There’s no requirement for the b/c to be certified. The only requirement is for any document being submitted which is not in English needs to be translated and the translated copy needs to be accompanied by a certified statement attesting to the translator’s fluency in both English and the original statement the document is being translated from.

1. Form I-944 is a required document for AOS.

2. There’s no requirement for the b/c to be certified. The only requirement is for any document being submitted which is not in English needs to be translated and the translated copy needs to be accompanied by a certified statement attesting to the translator’s fluency in both English and the original statement the document is being translated from.

Thank you for the reply - much appreciated. Few more questions, if I may:

1. On I-944, would my moderate income (as explained earlier) be a concern? Or no?
2. When I submit my i-485, I see that it is recommended to submit past I-20s and EADs. I don't think I can find or even get all my I-20s from the past. Is that something to be concerned about?

Thank you for the reply - much appreciated. Few more questions, if I may:

1. On I-944, would my moderate income (as explained earlier) be a concern? Or no?
2. When I submit my i-485, I see that it is recommended to submit past I-20s and EADs. I don't think I can find or even get all my I-20s from the past. Is that something to be concerned about?

1. I-944 will be reviewed and judged based on the totality of the circumstances, not just income alone. Here’s a link to the Frame work for that - you might want to review it. You should also look into getting an I-134 as a backup financial document.

2. Those are some of the documents used in proofing you’ve never gone out of status, but if you don’t have them, so be it. You can only send it what you have and hope for the best.

Hello everyone, can anyone please explain to me what the "holes" are about in terms of the DV process?

Do a search for the britsimonsays blog and look up the article called Explaining DV2021 Case Numbers (I am not allowed to post a link, sorry).

Short version: once the entry period closes, they separate entries by region. Then for each region, they jumble up all the entries, and then number them from 1 to whatever number of entries there are. Then they start selecting winners starting at number 1. But they disqualify many entries for various reasons, so the first winner might be case #1, but then entry #2 might be disqualified, so the next winner might be #3. So you end up with gaps or "holes" in the case numbers. If they select 30,000 people for a certain region, then the case numbers might have to go as high as 60,000, if they eliminate roughly half of the cases.

So your case number doesn't tell you how many people there are in front of you in the queue. It tells you your relative position in the queue (assuming you know the highest case number for the year). But the actual number of people ahead of you depends on how many holes there are. If the rules suddenly get more strict one year, then that could result in more holes than normal, so a given case number could look high, but might not be.

Do a search for the britsimonsays blog and look up the article called Explaining DV2021 Case Numbers (I am not allowed to post a link, sorry).

Short version: once the entry period closes, they separate entries by region. Then for each region, they jumble up all the entries, and then number them from 1 to whatever number of entries there are. Then they start selecting winners starting at number 1. But they disqualify many entries for various reasons, so the first winner might be case #1, but then entry #2 might be disqualified, so the next winner might be #3. So you end up with gaps or "holes" in the case numbers. If they select 30,000 people for a certain region, then the case numbers might have to go as high as 60,000, if they eliminate roughly half of the cases.

So your case number doesn't tell you how many people there are in front of you in the queue. It tells you your relative position in the queue (assuming you know the highest case number for the year). But the actual number of people ahead of you depends on how many holes there are. If the rules suddenly get more strict one year, then that could result in more holes than normal, so a given case number could look high, but might not be.

I just watched the video now and it makes sense, thank you brother!

Hello everyone,

I have been selected on the DV lottery with CN#2021EU38XX.
Currently, I'm on an L1 visa and my spouse and our daughter are on L2 visa. The spreadsheets are clear and very helpful, but I have a few questions:
1. My spouse had been married previously. Should she file her previous marriage certificate and divorce certificate?
2. Regarding the form I-485, Section: Address History. When we arrived to US, we lived in the hotel for several weeks before renting an apartment. Do we need to provide the hotel address in the form?
3. Our daughter is 11 y.o and she is too young to fill out the form I-485 on her own. Do I need to fill "Preparer's Statement", "Preparer's Certification", and "Preparer's Signature" sections on my behalf or can I left these sections blank and just sign the form instead of her?

Thanks in advance for your help.

Hello everyone,

I have been selected on the DV lottery with CN#2021EU38XX.
Currently, I'm on an L1 visa and my spouse and our daughter are on L2 visa. The spreadsheets are clear and very helpful, but I have a few questions:
1. My spouse had been married previously. Should she file her previous marriage certificate and divorce certificate?
2. Regarding the form I-485, Section: Address History. When we arrived to US, we lived in the hotel for several weeks before renting an apartment. Do we need to provide the hotel address in the form?
3. Our daughter is 11 y.o and she is too young to fill out the form I-485 on her own. Do I need to fill "Preparer's Statement", "Preparer's Certification", and "Preparer's Signature" sections on my behalf or can I left these sections blank and just sign the form instead of her?

Thanks in advance for your help.

1. Previous marriage certificate is not required. Evidence of legal termination such as divorce or death certificate is required.
2. Yes.
3. Not required. You only need to sign the form on her behalf

I'm happy to see the idea is being understood!!

Dear Sm1smom
I just won the DV 2021 my case number is AF00044XXX, is this a high case number and am I likely to get an interview?

Dear Sm1smom,

I was reading online and realized that the Foreign State Chargeability on my DV letter is my current country of citizenship instead of being the country of birth. But as I was reading your previous response, you said this was not a big mistake. The two countries are neighbors in eastern Africa. But I checked the latest law regarding this, it only states like two cases when this is allowed. Do you think this is going to be a big problem and disqualify me for AOS processing?
Thanks

Last edited:
Dear Sm1smom,

I was reading online and realized that the Foreign State Chargeability on my DV letter is my current country of citizenship instead of being the country of birth. But as I was reading your previous response, you said this was not a big mistake. The two countries are neighbors in eastern Africa. But I checked the latest law regarding this, it only states like two cases when this is allowed. Do you think this is going to be a big problem and disqualify me for AOS processing?
Thanks

Your post is rather vague, I can’t answer your question as asked. Which previous response of mine are you referring to? You never asked me this particular question before. Which two African countries? And which “latest law”?

Your post is rather vague, I can’t answer your question as asked. Which previous response of mine are you referring to? You never asked me this particular question before. Which two African countries? And which “latest law”?
I was referring to previous responses on the forum where others were asking about such a mistake. The two countries are Congo and Uganda.

This is the document I read about listing incorrect country of chargeability. DV-Instructions-Translations/DV-2021-Instructions-Translations/DV-2021-%20Instructions-English.pdf on the travel.state.gov website

I was referring to previous responses on the forum where others were asking about such a mistake. The two countries are Congo and Uganda.

This is the document I read about listing incorrect country of chargeability. DV-Instructions-Translations/DV-2021-Instructions-Translations/DV-2021-%20Instructions-English.pdf on the travel.state.gov website

I’ve been responding to posts since 2013, so you can’t be asking me about some past response as related to your case without linking or pointing me at precisely what you’re referencing. That is asking me to comment on something out of context.

Anyway, as for your particular case, you selected your citizenship country in place of birth country as eligibility country, your case will most likely be denied I’m afraid.

I’ve been responding to posts since 2013, so you can’t be asking me about some past response as related to your case without linking or pointing me at precisely what you’re referencing. That is asking me to comment on something out of context.

Anyway, as for your particular case, you selected your citizenship country in place of birth country as eligibility country, your case will most likely be denied I’m afraid.
I am sorry to not have linked the reference. And thank you for your response.