• Hello Members, This forums is for DV lottery visas only. For other immigration related questions, please go to our forums home page, find the related forum and post it there.

DV 2021 AOS Only

1. If you are current, and you get an interview appointment with USCIS, but the numbers retrogress, do they cancel your appointment, or go ahead with the interview and then just wait for you to become current again?
2. Do the regional quotas apply to USCIS?

Hi, We had our interview today. We arrived 7 min early went through security checks. After the bio appointment we learned not to take too much stuff with us, only all the documents needed for the interview (there are 5 of us, and last time we had too many close and bags with us for kids). We waited about 20 min for the officer to call us and had to go one by one, because there is a COVID restriction, that no more than 3 people can be in a room at the same time.

There was officer, who were conducting the interview and one more officer who were new and were observing the process. Officer, who conducted the interview went through my form i-485 and insisted on listing my patronymic name as a middle name even when I told him, that it is not a middle name. He also corrected the address, because we moved to a different address, and he said, that we should submit form AR-11, because we moved, but it is not related to our DV case. The officer that a thick accent and at times it was hard to understand him, so I had to ask him to repeat some of his questions. Officer didn't ask me about my diploma. I had an education evaluation with my package but didn't have an actual High School diploma and I have a lot of work experience. Officer also didn't ask me about taxes only asked to see my latest pay stabs, to make sure, that I still work for the same employer.

He went through a similar procedure with me, my wife, and each kid. And asked kids if we live together. Afterwards, he said that everything looks good, but we need to have a background check completed for some reason. We actually had our Bio appointment a week ago so I assumed, that it was supposed to be finished, but maybe he changed our names, so he needed to do it one more time. He said that our visas are available and he is going to request them from KCC. But we have to wait for this check to be finished. He also said that he is aware of a September 31 deadline, so our case should be processed before it.

During the day, kids case statuses were updated to "Name was Updated" and my and my wife's case status updated to "Interview Was Completed And My Case Must Be Reviewed".

I am kinda disappointed because it looked like the officer just wanted to show a new officer how to handle the case and sent it to extra check, just to show those steps also, because he was saying that everything is OK and he is going to request visas for us, at the same time he submitted extra check and told officer, that he is going to show her, how to update case information later.

Also, it looks like after we are going to receive our green cards we are going to have to file I-90 form and request a replacement to remove our patronymic names from our green cards.

Last edited:
1. If you are current, and you get an interview appointment with USCIS, but the numbers retrogress, do they cancel your appointment, or go ahead with the interview and then just wait for you to become current again?
2. Do the regional quotas apply to USCIS?
1.Bear in mind this has been very unusual for DV. It’s probably FO dependent which they choose to do.
2. USCIS can only issue what there are visas for. Regional has never been a problem for DV. If a country is cut off because they have reached 7%, or if the overall 55k limit is reached, there will not be authorization for a visa number.

Hi, We had our interview today. We arrived 7 min early went through security checks. After the bio appointment we learned not to take too much stuff with us, only all the documents needed for the interview (there are 5 of us, and last time we had too many close and bags with us for kids). We waited about 20 min for the officer to call us and had to go one by one, because there is a COVID restriction, that no more than 3 people can be in a room at the same time.

There was officer, who were conducting the interview and one more officer who were new and were observing the process. Officer, who conducted the interview went through my form i-485 and insisted on listing my patronymic name as a middle name even when I told him, that it is not a middle name. He also corrected the address, because we moved to a different address, and he said, that we should submit form AR-11, because we moved, but it is not related to our DV case. The officer that a thick accent and at times it was hard to understand him, so I had to ask him to repeat some of his questions. Officer didn't ask me about my diploma. I had an education evaluation with my package but didn't have an actual High School diploma and I have a lot of work experience. Officer also didn't ask me about taxes only asked to see my latest pay stabs, to make sure, that I still work for the same employer.

He went through a similar procedure with me, my wife, and each kid. And asked kids if we live together. Afterwards, he said that everything looks good, but we need to have a background check completed for some reason. We actually had our Bio appointment a week ago so I assumed, that it was supposed to be finished, but maybe he changed our names, so he needed to do it one more time. He said that our visas are available and he is going to request them from KCC. But we have to wait for this check to be finished. He also said that he is aware of a September 31 deadline, so our case should be processed before it.

During the day, kids case statuses were updated to "Name was Updated" and my and my wife's case status updated to "Interview Was Completed And My Case Must Be Reviewed".

I am kinda disappointed because it looked like the officer just wanted to show a new officer how to handle the case and sent it to extra check, just to show those steps also, because he was saying that everything is OK and he is going to request visas for us, at the same time he submitted extra check and told officer, that he is going to show her, how to update case information later.

Also, it looks like after we are going to receive our green cards we are going to have to file I-90 form and request a replacement to remove our patronymic names from our green cards.
Thank you for sharing! Fingers crossed your case will be updated to the GC production soon :) Wishing you the best of luck! I found it very weird though that they insisted on using a patronymic name as a middle one. As having a patronymic name myself which is not even included in my passport for international travels I'm just curious whether you included it in the lottery application form initially. Of course, no pressure on you to answer that.

Is your patronymic name listed on your eDV entry submission, your official documents such as birth certificate, passport, US NIV? If yes, that explains why the IO insisted on listing it as your middle name at least.

Did you list it under the other name sections of your DS260 (assuming you submitted one), your I-485? If it wasn’t listed, it means your previously conducted background check wasn’t complete as they never ran your background check with that name combination.

Dropping the patronymic name from your GC will not be as simple as simply filing an I-90 for a replacement GC. You will actually have to go through a name change process first. Without an official name change, USCIS will not honor a GC replacement request on the basis of you not wanting the name listed.

1. Not a problem. People move all the time and end up having different addresses.
2. You may not be able to get a new NIV from the embassy in the future should you need one. No problem with getting OPT extension.
3. Sorry I can't tell you when to make that next move. That is a decision you'll have to make on your own.
Thanks mom!

I saw someone posted about that they had gone to the interview but FO could not approve since KCC had not sent their file (i could not find that post)....if that person sees this post .. how long did it take ?/ or is there anything i need to do ?
You may submit DS-260 then send email with the confirmation number

Hi Mom, Thank you for everything.
My B1/B2 Extension Applications are pending now, I94 was expired on June 17th 2020, i applied B2 Extension twice, both pending now. hope I can stay in USA till June 17 2021, my questions:
1. Can I do AOS in USA with B1/B2 Extension pending?
2. If I can not, should I submit my DS260 form now, and return to my country in Asia to apply visa through Embassy which is opening now. ( hope my case number will be current in June)
Thank you so much for your help.
If I was you, I might try to enroll with any university for any program that can give you valid I20. Remember you have to be in valid status no matter it’s.

Thank you for sharing! Fingers crossed your case will be updated to the GC production soon :) Wishing you the best of luck! I found it very weird though that they insisted on using a patronymic name as a middle one. As having a patronymic name myself which is not even included in my passport for international travels I'm just curious whether you included it in the lottery application form initially. Of course, no pressure on you to answer that.
No, We didn't include it in our initial application.

Is your patronymic name listed on your eDV entry submission, your official documents such as birth certificate, passport, US NIV? If yes, that explains why the IO insisted on listing it as your middle name at least.

Did you list it under the other name sections of your DS260 (assuming you submitted one), your I-485? If it wasn’t listed, it means your previously conducted background check wasn’t complete as they never ran your background check with that name combination.

Dropping the patronymic name from your GC will not be as simple as simply filing an I-90 for a replacement GC. You will actually have to go through a name change process first. Without an official name change, USCIS will not honor a GC replacement request on the basis of you not wanting the name listed.
No. It is not listed on our eDV submission. Patronymic names only listed on a birth certificate, but not listed on our international passports or visas. We didn't list it under other name sections in ds260 and i485.
I pointed out to the officer, that this patronymic name is never used on any documents except birth certificate, but he insisted, that it has to be included as a Middle name. I didn't feel, like I could argue with him, especially, while he was showing someone else, how to do everything "correctly".

So now, I am wondering if there is anything we can do to change it now? I thought that we are going to receive our Green Cards and then we will try to file i-90 with our passports and birth certificates, driver's licenses including US driver's license, EAD, and so on and explanation, that this is DHS error and this name should be updated.

And thank you for all your help and advice.

If I was you, I might try to enroll with any university for any program that can give you valid I20. Remember you have to be in valid status no matter it’s.
The poster already has two extensions pending. Trying to add a change of status on top of that is going to be very obviously clutching at straws to stay here. she is already imo likely to have the second of those extension requests denied, meaning that she has no current status to change from anyway. She doesn’t magically get status from an i20, she’d need a COS to F1 approved.

No. It is not listed on our eDV submission. Patronymic names only listed on a birth certificate, but not listed on our international passports or visas. We didn't list it under other name sections in ds260 and i485.
I pointed out to the officer, that this patronymic name is never used on any documents except birth certificate, but he insisted, that it has to be included as a Middle name. I didn't feel, like I could argue with him, especially, while he was showing someone else, how to do everything "correctly".

So now, I am wondering if there is anything we can do to change it now? I thought that we are going to receive our Green Cards and then we will try to file i-90 with our passports and birth certificates, driver's licenses including US driver's license, EAD, and so on and explanation, that this is DHS error and this name should be updated.

And thank you for all your help and advice.
You should have listed it under the other name section on your forms though since it is listed on your B/C - that would have eliminated the need to run a new background check after your interview.

I guess you may be able to simply claim USCIS error for the replacement then, hopefully you still have copies of your submitted forms which you can use to demonstrate the error wasn’t from your side. Anyway, one step at a time - you need to get approved and get the GC first.

Hello everyone. I want to explain my case as if someone may know something and help me.

I am a medical doctor and I got accepted to a Ph.D. program to work on vaccines in Jan 2020. Then, I found in June 2020 that I have won DV2021. As I am from one of the countries in Trump's travel ban, I just could apply for an F1 visa to enter the US. I obtained my "single entry" F1 visa and entered the US in Jan 2021. After entering the US, I heard that president Biden lifted the travel ban. I want to apply for AOS now, and I have several questions to ask about the process.
1: How long should I wait after entering the US and before filing the AOS through DV? 90 days or less?
2: If I file after 90 days, I would have around 5 months for the process to be completed until Oct 1st. Is there any chance to get it done before in 5 months?
3: Is there any way that a lawyer can accelerate the process and push it forward? One of the four famous lawyers working on DV2020 and DV2021 told me that there are ways to push a case and accelerate the process, but he did not say what are those ways. Do you know about those ways?
4: Generally, does hiring a lawyer help in making the process faster?