• Hello Members, This forums is for DV lottery visas only. For other immigration related questions, please go to our forums home page, find the related forum and post it there.

DV 2021 AOS Only

Hello mom,

My husband doesn't have a health insurance.( He is in F2, I am F1 the principle applicant) Will it matter in any stage of the AOS process?

Thank you so much.
Health insurance coverage is no longer taken into consideration as part of the public charge review.

On side note (unsolicited of course), you do realize being in the US without insurance coverage is not a good idea. God forbid you have a sudden medical need and you have no insurance coverage ...

Hi Mom,

My question is about the new version of I-485, my lawyer already filled the oldest version, the package is ready to send, but we are waiting for DV fee receipt, which was cashed on March 19 (probably will be here next week), we are already included in the March Visa Bulletin (case SA112x), do you think we need to fill the new version? I know starting on April 19, my question is if the package is sent before April 19, but they open it after April 19, do I run the risk of being rejected? Which date is the one that counts, the date of shipment, received or the one that opens the package? I told my lawyer that I wanted to fill out the new version but he said that we could send the old version before the 19, and I want to confirm with you.

Thank you.
It probably means as long as the case is sent before Apr. 19th (considering a package could be delayed during the mailing process). But because the website says "starting April 19, 2021, we will only accept the 03/10/21 edition" - if this was my case, l will go with the interpretation of the date the case is formally accepted (as in they open, scan and accept the case) - this is me personally.

I'm confused and kind of upset about something and I need your opinion guys. Does the fact that my lawyer suggested that I don't have to pay the DV administrative fee because "This fee is for those applying for their immigrant visa at an Embassy/Consulate" mean that they don't know what they are doing? I still paid the fee on my own and will bring the receipt to the interview. But this is really bothering me because now I am not sure what to think since I have seen the very clear instructions on the Adjustment of Status DV lottery fee page just like anyone else. I am losing confidence in my lawyer tbh.
The nonsensical information they provided you with about the DV fee payment is a clear clue indication they have no DV based AOS filing experience. What else has this lawyer done to help with your case by the way outside of filling out your forms and mailing them for you? Has this lawyer assisted with any kind of follow up effort considering you haven't even been scheduled for a bio, and you're here everyday stressing over your case? I'm curious to know how the effort this lawyer has expended on your case, or the guidance they're providing you with on how to move the case along.

Health insurance coverage is no longer taken into consideration as part of the public charge review.

On side note (unsolicited of course), you do realize being in the US without insurance coverage is not a good idea. God forbid you have a sudden medical need and you have no insurance coverage ...
Thank you so much mom for your kind advice. I take your advice gratefully. Thank you once again!!!

Last edited:
Thanks, Sm1smom! Sorry Mom I mixed up the third question. If I'm not mistaken evaluations were mentioned in the i-944 form that is no longer required. Then would you recommend doing evaluations now when i-944 is gone?
It is a personal decision, if you want to go ahead and evaluate your diplomas. I don't have an opinion on it one way or the other. However, I will say we've heard of a few FOs listing diploma evaluation requirement on their interview letter (a few, not all the FOs).

He was recommended to me as a good immigration lawyer and I never doubted him until we had this discussion about the fee.
Yup! There are lots of good immigration lawyers, most however have no DV based AOS experience and are too greedy to say so upfront when approached with DV based AOS cases. Our forum host is a fantastic immigration attorney - when approached with DV based related questions, he tells people upfront that is not an area of specialty for his firm. I've seen him publicly respond as such on several occasions on the bi-weekly conference calls he hosts to answer the general public's immigration related questions (a service he provides free of charge).

Hi @Sm1smom I wanted to reply here, in case it might help anyone. Just had a call with the tier 2 agent this morning, he said there's no way for him to contact the field officer and I just have to wait for another interview invite. In any case, super grateful to have found your forum. Thank you!
He lied - tier 2 persons can get in touch with the FO (Field Office) itself, (not necessarily the IO (Immigration Officer) in charge of the case) if they wish to help. The person that called you back just wasn't willing to do so.

He was recommended to me as a good immigration lawyer and I never doubted him until we had this discussion about the fee.
There are many good immigration lawyers. For other cases. Consider that in an average year across the entire US, 1000-1500 people do AOS. The vast majority do it DIY. Maybe a hundred, two hundred a year use lawyers. Those people are spread all over the US. The chances of any single lawyer having significant DV experience is tiny. But because they are good at other types they probably think it’s easy and they can handle it.

The nonsensical information they provided you with about the DV fee payment is a clear clue indication they have no DV based AOS filing experience. What else has this lawyer done to help with your case by the way outside of filling out your forms and mailing them for you? Has this lawyer assisted with any kind of follow up effort considering you haven't even been scheduled for a bio, and you're here everyday stressing over your case? I'm curious to know how the effort this lawyer has expended on your case, or the guidance they're providing you with on how to move the case along.

After filling out and mailing my forms, he has done nothing else. The reason why I decided to request a congressional inquiry and follow all the suggestions you provide here is that my lawyer told me to wait until May to place an inquiry about my biometrics appointment. He claims that currently people are waiting 4 to 5 months for their biometrics (I filed in December). I urged him to place the inquiry now because, even if that were true, my case is supposed to have priority, but he told me that USCIS would just reply that I have to wait if we do it now.

If I could go back, I would use the information on this forum to handle my case without a lawyer, but unfortunately, I found this forum after filing. And yes, you are absolutely correct--now I'm stressing every day because I feel that my case is stuck for some reason.

There are many good immigration lawyers. For other cases. Consider that in an average year across the entire US, 1000-1500 people do AOS. The vast majority do it DIY. Maybe a hundred, two hundred a year use lawyers. Those people are spread all over the US. The chances of any single lawyer having significant DV experience is tiny. But because they are good at other types they probably think it’s easy and they can handle it.

You're right. I know that now. I was just afraid that I would make a mistake without any guidance and I didn't want to waste this opportunity. Now I see that I could have done this without a lawyer.

Hi! My USPS tracking shows that the AOS package got at the correct address about 10 days ago. I know it is still early, but how long would it take for them to cash the checks and then for me to receive the letter that they have got the application? Just wondering how long did this take for people who have already been through this stage.

Hi! My USPS tracking shows that the AOS package got at the correct address about 10 days ago. I know it is still early, but how long would it take for them to cash the checks and then for me to receive the letter that they have got the application? Just wondering how long did this take for people who have already been through this stage.

Take a look at the timeline spreadsheet. For me: the package was delivered 12/17, check cashed 12/23, receipts were received 1/11

He lied - tier 2 persons can get in touch with the FO (Field Office) itself, (not necessarily the IO (Immigration Officer) in charge of the case) if they wish to help. The person that called you back just wasn't willing to do so.
Ugh that's frustrating but thank you so much for this! I'll wait another month and will try calling again. Hopefully another agenda is more willing to help!

I saw someone posted about that they had gone to the interview but FO could not approve since KCC had not sent their file (i could not find that post)....if that person sees this post .. how long did it take ?/ or is there anything i need to do ?

I saw someone posted about that they had gone to the interview but FO could not approve since KCC had not sent their file (i could not find that post)....if that person sees this post .. how long did it take ?/ or is there anything i need to do ?
I think Mom suggested that you can contact KCC to ask if the file has been requested and when.

Hi I have three quesitons:

1. Will it be a problem if my address in I-485 is different from the address used in DV administrative fee payment? I assume that's not gonna be a problem as long as I am able to get the receipt from that address, but wanted to make sure.
2. What are the implications if I submitted DS260 and paid the DV fee (shown immigration intent) but didnt get adjudicated this year? I am graduating soon with F-1 status and will start OPT in June. I know I can fall back to F-1 OPT, but would I have problem extending my OPT then?
3. My case number is AS15xxx, and I think I will likely be current in June. I am thinking about submitting my DS260 and DV fee now so I can be ready to file once my number becomes current. Should I do it now or wait for few weeks for May bulletin to confirm that my number is current just to be safe?

Thanks in advance

Hi I have three quesitons:

1. Will it be a problem if my address in I-485 is different from the address used in DV administrative fee payment? I assume that's not gonna be a problem as long as I am able to get the receipt from that address, but wanted to make sure.
2. What are the implications if I submitted DS260 and paid the DV fee (shown immigration intent) but didnt get adjudicated this year? I am graduating soon with F-1 status and will start OPT in June. I know I can fall back to F-1 OPT, but would I have problem extending my OPT then?
3. My case number is AS15xxx, and I think I will likely be current in June. I am thinking about submitting my DS260 and DV fee now so I can be ready to file once my number becomes current. Should I do it now or wait for few weeks for May bulletin to confirm that my number is current just to be safe?

Thanks in advance
1. Not a problem. People move all the time and end up having different addresses.
2. You may not be able to get a new NIV from the embassy in the future should you need one. No problem with getting OPT extension.
3. Sorry I can't tell you when to make that next move. That is a decision you'll have to make on your own.