• Hello Members, This forums is for DV lottery visas only. For other immigration related questions, please go to our forums home page, find the related forum and post it there.

DV 2021 AOS Only

Hi @Sm1smom, I've got a small question:
On the AOS DV fee payment page it says that "You, the selectee in the United States, must pay the diversity visa fee for yourself and for each member of your immediate family also in the United States who plans to adjust status with you here.". Would it be okay if the derivative (me, in F1 status) pays the fee through a check from my bank account (since my wife, the selectee in F2 status, does not have a bank account)?

Hi @Sm1smom, I've got a small question:
On the AOS DV fee payment page it says that "You, the selectee in the United States, must pay the diversity visa fee for yourself and for each member of your immediate family also in the United States who plans to adjust status with you here.". Would it be okay if the derivative (me, in F1 status) pays the fee through a check from my bank account (since my wife, the selectee in F2 status, does not have a bank account)?
Not a problem. The payment can be drawn on any account, including that of a third party as a matter of fact.

There’s no guarantee you’ll receive the 2NL if you do not submit the DS260 form. You may be fortunate to receive one though following the DV administrative fee payment.
Hi Mom,

I understand from the AOS Process Spreadsheet that I MUST include 2NL in the AOS package. However, generally 2NL is issued by the KCC after the submission of DS260 form (quote: you need to be "fortunate" to receive 2NL after the DV fees payment). At the same time, DS260 form should not be mandatory for AOSers.

Based on the above, if I don't file the DS260, then I should not receive 2NL and thus I would not be able to include such receipt in my AOS package. Can my AOS case be rejected because I did not receive 2NL? (i.e. is 2NL mandatory for AOSers?)

If so, this would imply that without DS260 I cannot complete the AOS process.

Thanks in advance for your kind reply.

Hi Mom,

I understand from the AOS Process Spreadsheet that I MUST include 2NL in the AOS package. However, generally 2NL is issued by the KCC after the submission of DS260 form (quote: you need to be "fortunate" to receive 2NL after the DV fees payment). At the same time, DS260 form should not be mandatory for AOSers.

Based on the above, if I don't file the DS260, then I should not receive 2NL and thus I would not be able to include such receipt in my AOS package. Can my AOS case be rejected because I did not receive 2NL? (i.e. is 2NL mandatory for AOSers?)

The 2NL is not mandatory to include with the AOS package, even if you decide to file the DS260.

Is there any standard wisdom about how to send the $330 Diversity Visa fee?

1. Is it recommended to send it in a certain type of envelope?
2. Is cashiers check preferred over money order?
3. Is Fedex/UPS preferred over USPS?

Thanks in advance!

Is there any standard wisdom about how to send the $330 Diversity Visa fee?

1. Is it recommended to send it in a certain type of envelope?
2. Is cashiers check preferred over money order?
3. Is Fedex/UPS preferred over USPS?

Thanks in advance!
1. The outer envelope needs to be big enough for your check or (money order), the receipt form, and another envelope. I used regular white envelopes.
2. No. I would suggest using whichever costs you less. With a money order, you can check whether it is cashed.
3. No. I chose USPS as I could buy a money order and mail it all at once. Paying a little more for USPS's tracking service would allow you to track the letter later.

Hi everyone,
I am a Ph.D. student with an F1 visa and I am employed as a research assistant. I have a couple of questions on some parts of form i485 and i134:
Form i485:
1- In the INA section, what should I answer to the question "Are you applying for adjustment based on INA section 245(i)"?
2- What should I input as the "receipt number of the underlying petition"?
3- In the employment history, should I add the information of the university or my advisor?
4- In the public charge section which item should I choose?
Form i134:
Who should fill out the form as my sponsor? the university or my advisor?

Thanks in advance

Hi Mom,

The AOS process spreadsheet doesn’t say you “MUST” include the 2NL in the AOS package. I suggest you take a look at the FAQ AOS section of that spreadsheet to answers to the above questions.

Hi everyone,
I am a Ph.D. student with an F1 visa and I am employed as a research assistant. I have a couple of questions on some parts of form i485 and i134:
Form i485:
1- In the INA section, what should I answer to the question "Are you applying for adjustment based on INA section 245(i)"?
2- What should I input as the "receipt number of the underlying petition"?
3- In the employment history, should I add the information of the university or my advisor?
4- In the public charge section which item should I choose?
Form i134:
Who should fill out the form as my sponsor? the university or my advisor?

Thanks in advance
1. “NO”
2. “N/A” (DV based AOS application has no underlying receipt or petition number)
3. You add your employment history as applicable.
4. The I-134 form should be filled by anyone willing to take on the task on the responsibility of supporting you financially when you’re unable to provide for yourself. Is your advisor willing to take on this personal responsibility?

Hello @ @Sm1smom, I have a question.

We sent the AOS package to the Chicago lockbox on the 2nd of March and waiting for the receipt notice. However, we made a mistake by selecting the "YES" to the question "Are you applying for adjustment based on INA section 245(I)" in the I-485 form.
1. Will this lead to rejecting our package by Chicago lockbox?
2. Do you have any thoughts on how we can correct this mistake?

Thank you very much for your time, and I really appreciate any input on this matter

Hello @ @Sm1smom, I have a question.

We sent the AOS package to the Chicago lockbox on the 2nd of March and waiting for the receipt notice. However, we made a mistake by selecting the "YES" to the question "Are you applying for adjustment based on INA section 245(I)" in the I-485 form.
1. Will this lead to rejecting our package by Chicago lockbox?
2. Do you have any thoughts on how we can correct this mistake?

Thank you very much for your time, and I really appreciate any input on this matter
See my response on your self created thread.

Hello Mom,

I have the number EU24XXX for the DV21. There has been a big increase in the last bulletin (from 12.000 to 18.000 for the EU region) so I am feeling optimistic about our chances to get a Green Card.

I am currently an F1 student living in the US with my spouse. I have a couple of questions:

1.- Should I start the process now (DS-260) or wait until my number becomes current?
2.- I started my studies in August last year and the program last for 2 year. The visa on my passport is for 5 years and but the visa on my wife's passport is only for 1 year. I understand that what gives us status is the I-20. Is this correct? Can my wife have any problem during the AOS due to the visa expiration date on her passport?
3.- My wife gave birth to our daughter last week here in the US. Do we have to include her at all in the process? Does she affect our case in any way?

Thanks in advance.

Hello Mom,

I have the number EU24XXX for the DV21. There has been a big increase in the last bulletin (from 12.000 to 18.000 for the EU region) so I am feeling optimistic about our chances to get a Green Card.

I am currently an F1 student living in the US with my spouse. I have a couple of questions:

1.- Should I start the process now (DS-260) or wait until my number becomes current?
2.- I started my studies in August last year and the program last for 2 year. The visa on my passport is for 5 years and but the visa on my wife's passport is only for 1 year. I understand that what gives us status is the I-20. Is this correct? Can my wife have any problem during the AOS due to the visa expiration date on her passport?
3.- My wife gave birth to our daughter last week here in the US. Do we have to include her at all in the process? Does she affect our case in any way?

Thanks in advance.
1. If you feel confident about the possibility of your CN becoming current, you might as well go ahead and submit the DS260 form now.
2. Yes, that is correct. No problem.
3. Congratulations on the birth of your baby. She is a USC by birth, she will not be going through the GC process with you, but you definitely have to list her on both you and your wife's forms. You also have to include copies of her birth certificate with your packages.

1. “NO”
2. “N/A” (DV based AOS application has no underlying receipt or petition number)
3. You add your employment history as applicable.
4. The I-134 form should be filled by anyone willing to take on the task on the responsibility of supporting you financially when you’re unable to provide for yourself. Is your advisor willing to take on this personal responsibility?
I had selected the answer to question 1. "Yes". Because it says: If you answered yes to Item Number 11., you must have selected a family-based, employment-based, special immigrant, or Diversity Visa category listed above in Item Numbers 2.a.-8.e. as the basis for your application for adjustment of status.
Should I change my answer to "No" for the above questions?

Last edited:
Dear Mom et al.,

We are currently EU22XXX and based on the information I have read we could potentially become current in June/July. We are therefore preparing our AOS package and your information/spreadsheet has been extremely valuable so thank you so much for this.

My wife won the DV Lottery and I will therefore be her derivative (our children are born here so they don't need to apply with us). I currently hold a G4 Visa (principle) working for an international organization and my wife has a G4 via me. She has worked in the US a few years ago (has an old EAD and some W2s), before our children were born (both born here in the US). I wanted to ask your advice on the following:

1. I am the primary financial support, therefore Bank Accounts, Investment Accounts and Credit Reports are mainly in my name (some joint like bank) via the SSN I have been provided. Which financial form do I fill out - still I-134? Should we include her old EAD card and W2s also?

2. We had planned to go home in May for 2 weeks since we haven't seen family (its not required) and wanted to see whether if we went home and returned (under the G4 visa) then applied for the AOS in June, whether this would fall under the intention to stay restriction or whether its better to just not go?

3. As a G4 visa holder do I need to complete both I-508 and I-566?

4. Should I include the US Birth Certificates / Passports for our children in the pack?

Thank you so much for your guidance and all the work you do helping so many!