• Hello Members, This forums is for DV lottery visas only. For other immigration related questions, please go to our forums home page, find the related forum and post it there.

DV 2020 AOS Only

We just attended our code 2 biometrics appointment. We mentioned to the officer that we would require a code 3 because we filed 485. They mentioned that they are aware of an error that occurred when scheduling some 485 that caused a code 2 to be printed. In an email that they received, it says that when they scan a barcode it should show code 3. However, that was not the case. Our appointment still showed up as code 2 in their system. They are also not able to manually change it because the system won’t let them. The officer then spoke to his supervisor about our situation. The supervisor suggested doing a code 1 + code 2 for me and he’ll do something on the backend to combine both of them. While I was doing my bio, the supervisor rescheduled my husband’s appointment with code 3, which was scheduled at a later date but completed today. I asked them whether it was necessary for me to get a code 3 as well. The supervisor reassured me that everything will be fine.

So in summary, I did a code 1+2. My husband did code 3.

To anyone who is scheduled with code 2 and their system doesn’t allow you to do a code 3, make sure to speak to the supervisor during the appointment. See if they can reschedule you for code 3. It’ll show a different date, but you’ll complete the code 3 biometrics on the same day. The purpose of rescheduling is so that when they scan the barcode, the system will allow you to do code 3. Hope that helps!

We just attended our code 2 biometrics appointment. We mentioned to the officer that we would require a code 3 because we filed 485. They mentioned that they are aware of an error that occurred when scheduling some 485 that caused a code 2 to be printed. In an email that they received, it says that when they scan a barcode it should show code 3. However, that was not the case. Our appointment still showed up as code 2 in their system. They are also not able to manually change it because the system won’t let them. The officer then spoke to his supervisor about our situation. The supervisor suggested doing a code 1 + code 2 for me and he’ll do something on the backend to combine both of them. While I was doing my bio, the supervisor rescheduled my husband’s appointment with code 3, which was scheduled at a later date but completed today. I asked them whether it was necessary for me to get a code 3 as well. The supervisor reassured me that everything will be fine.

So in summary, I did a code 1+2. My husband did code 3.

To anyone who is scheduled with code 2 and their system doesn’t allow you to do a code 3, make sure to speak to the supervisor during the appointment. See if they can reschedule you for code 3. It’ll show a different date, but you’ll complete the code 3 biometrics on the same day. The purpose of rescheduling is so that when they scan the barcode, the system will allow you to do code 3. Hope that helps!
It is really good update. Thanks for sharing the story. I also got code 2 and spoke to Tier 2 to make service request to check the code.
But there is no forecast I get the response.
If no response, I will do the same thing at ASC next week.

Those who are interested in Dallas, TX FO.

I got a phone call from USCIS this morning.
They scheduled our interview for August 7th.

You can find the rest of the information in my signature as well as in the spreadsheet.

I haven't reached out to USCIS since I sent the package to Chicago's Lockbox.
I was following Mom's recommendation to be patient.

Everything will work out for all of us!

Good luck to all of us!

Hello,
Seems like I also got a call from dallas FO on Friday morning but I missed it. I couldn’t call them back and waited whole day for them to call me again. Had they already appointed your interview date before calling you? And have you received any email or mail yet?

Hello everyone,
F1 PHD student.
From Asia, Iran.
Got current in March, and filed then.
Received NOA in Apr.
Was scheduled for fingerprints and Interview in July.
Did Bio on July 20th.
Today, I had my interview.
Surprisingly, the officer knew me even behind mask and by pointing his finger asked me to go with him. He asked for my ID and passport, and to swear standing. Then, he started by asking some simple questions (name, date of entry, where Iran is etc.). Then, he went over my i-485 and asked me the same questions that are on the form. He said are you still a student? I showed my I-20 and an enrollment verification. He just took a look at my I-20 and compared it with the one in my package. Nothing really out of ordinary at all. I said, I have my tax return documents and he said it's not needed you're exempt from Affidavit of support. Then, he said do you have your approval letter?! I said no, and I showed my 1NL and 2NL. He said I already have them.
Then, he went outside, made a copy of my ID and passport, came back returned them and went away for a few minutes. Then, he returned and said everything looks OK to me but the state department hasn't assigned you a VISA number or something. I said, I am not on a VISA. He smiled and said it's a virtual VISA. He, then, gave me a letter saying a decision can not be made at the moment. Then, he said there's nothing we can do because we are DHS and this is with state department! I said, is there anything I can do? he said no. I said, is there any number I can call if I don't hear back? He said, you have to wait.

Anybody knows what this means? Any similar experience or suggestions?

Hi Sina.d
Which field office did you go?

Hmm, looks like mom’s suggestion to people to keep making sure they can fill in i944 regardless the recent ruling was the right one. In a twist today, the ruling is upheld on appeal, but only for the 3 states that fall under the jurisdiction of the court. Summary below, full story with reasoning in link. I guess we will see more guidance from uscis on this soon.

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/08/04/us/politics/trump-immigration-wealth-test.html
A federal appeals court on Tuesday blocked the Trump administration’s efforts to deny permanent residency to legal immigrants who make even limited use of public benefits like Medicaid, food stamps or housing vouchers, but restricted the injunction to New York, Connecticut and Vermont.

Hmm, looks like mom’s suggestion to people to keep making sure they can fill in i944 regardless the recent ruling was the right one. In a twist today, the ruling is upheld on appeal, but only for the 3 states that fall under the jurisdiction of the court. Summary below, full story with reasoning in link. I guess we will see more guidance from uscis on this soon.

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/08/04/us/politics/trump-immigration-wealth-test.html
A federal appeals court on Tuesday blocked the Trump administration’s efforts to deny permanent residency to legal immigrants who make even limited use of public benefits like Medicaid, food stamps or housing vouchers, but restricted the injunction to New York, Connecticut and Vermont.
In regards to this - I was never asked to sign i-944 during the interview. Can that become an issue?

One point regarding signing forms at the end of the interview. This is from USCIS website:

"If information is added or revised, the applicant should re-sign and date the application at the conclusion of the interview."

So if no information is added or revised the officer probably won't ask you to sign the forms at the end of the interview!

Hello @Sm1smom, regarding the I-944, would you advise people to remind the officer to give us the form during the interview so we could sign it, in case they forget to bring it up. I see a lot of posts where people didn’t sign the I-944 and was wondering if that can lead to potential confusion. Though I see people have received their green cards despite not signing the form. Should we worry about it?

Update on my interview today.

We made it to the FO by 8:30 and checked in, while waiting in the lobby, our lawyer shows up and got us signed for attorney form, and the IO came out and called us.
we all walked to the window in the big hall, and we sworn in and started the questions. She went through all the questions from 485. after the questions, we signed the 485, but we never went through the 944.

She said she is gonna check with KCC and have to wait on fingerprint. And she handed us a printout of a what LPR can do and can’t do sheet. She explained us once we get our green cards how we can enter the US again, and no longer need visa or H1B paper and stuff...

She walked us to the ASC and told them that she brought us earlier than our actual appointment because she finished her interview super quick.

She waited us by the ASC door until we finished our fingerprints while having a good conversation with the attorney, and said Green card printing process might take longer because of furlough and backlog, but assured us that we should hear something by end of Aug. we thanked her and greeted and left.

The officer and everyone else in the FO were super nice people.

I was glad that we brought our attorney with us, he seemed like he was well known there, as he was talking with everyone in the office and made them happy.

But strangely, none of our status changed in the uscis website all day, not sure.

Thank you @Sm1smom and @SusieQQQ for your great support through all this journey. I hope we will hear some good outcome and wish everyone luck for their rest of their journey!

Hello @Sm1smom, regarding the I-944, would you advise people to remind the officer to give us the form during the interview so we could sign it, in case they forget to bring it up. I see a lot of posts where people didn’t sign the I-944 and was wondering if that can lead to potential confusion. Though I see people have received their green cards despite not signing the form. Should we worry about it?

Yes, I recommend bringing it to the IO’s attention if they say nothing about signing the I-485 or I-944 at the end of the interview. If signing the forms is not required, the IO will say so. I don’t think the GC of those who didn’t sign the forms at the end of their interview will be revoked, but better to have the peace of mind about bringing it up.

Hi everyone,

On Monday I called USCIS to check on my biometrics appointment, to see if they sent the letter already. Tier 1 officer confirmed that the appointment was scheduled on July 29th and the letter was sent same day. She also notice that my I interview was scheduled on July 28th and the letter was sent too but she doesn't see the date of the interview. Today I received my Biometrics invitation, but I wonder how long should I wait for interview letter. Any suggestions from your experience guys? Thank you in advance!

Hi @Sm1smom,
I have a question which you have already talk about it. I have filed my I-485 before 24th Feb 2020, so I did not file I-944. As you mentioned in one post, the USCIS website described this fact, could you please provide the link, I want to copy that page and take with myself to the interview in case I need it. Thanks.

Hey I just wanted to share an update on my case to anyone that even cares. I submitted back in November 2019 and waited forever for the interview that was then canceled due to Covid in the end of March. After that I submitted an eRequest in mid June and got a generic response to wait for some kind of response in 90 days. Today I decided to contact 2nd Tier rep and got hit hard with disappointment again. My rep wasn’t very helpful and was quite impolite. She basically told me that I’m waisting their time by calling them because there’s nothing she can help me with, started raising her voice at me that every case is different (which I totally agree with) after I mentioned that I’m just worried to be processed before the end of fiscal year and it seems that my FO is taking longer than most of other cities. She just told me to sit and wait for my interview to be rescheduled and then cut me off thanking me for her time with “have a good day” and hanged up. So yeah, kind of regret waisting have of my day yesterday and over 2.5 hours today of trying to get contacted with them.

At least I know better now that I should be sitting and waiting for my interview be rescheduled, like a good boi waits for his owners to come back home lol
I had a situation like that 2 years ago, you can call again and make a complain against the tier 2.
I got a call back from a supervisor and he was so polite and helpful and resolved me issue in few minutes
And he apologized for such behavior happened from tier 2

Update on my interview today.

We made it to the FO by 8:30 and checked in, while waiting in the lobby, our lawyer shows up and got us signed for attorney form, and the IO came out and called us.
we all walked to the window in the big hall, and we sworn in and started the questions. She went through all the questions from 485. after the questions, we signed the 485, but we never went through the 944.

She said she is gonna check with KCC and have to wait on fingerprint. And she handed us a printout of a what LPR can do and can’t do sheet. She explained us once we get our green cards how we can enter the US again, and no longer need visa or H1B paper and stuff...

She walked us to the ASC and told them that she brought us earlier than our actual appointment because she finished her interview super quick.

She waited us by the ASC door until we finished our fingerprints while having a good conversation with the attorney, and said Green card printing process might take longer because of furlough and backlog, but assured us that we should hear something by end of Aug. we thanked her and greeted and left.

The officer and everyone else in the FO were super nice people.

I was glad that we brought our attorney with us, he seemed like he was well known there, as he was talking with everyone in the office and made them happy.

But strangely, none of our status changed in the uscis website all day, not sure.

Thank you @Sm1smom and @SusieQQQ for your great support through all this journey. I hope we will hear some good outcome and wish everyone luck for their rest of their journey!
Congratulations!
One question arises here!
She said she will just wait for fingerprints to be taken or the results of background check to be cleared ?
How could she assure you will be hearing about your green card by the end of August without knowing what the results of background check would be?

Congratulations!
One question arises here!
She said she will just wait for fingerprints to be taken or the results of background check to be cleared ?
How could she assure you will be hearing about your green card by the end of August without knowing what the results of background check would be?
Yeah, she said, if everything is good from the result of the background check from the fingerprint I guess.

Hey guys! I just had my interview.

The interview started on time at 8:15 and it lasted between 25-40 minutes. The officer was really nice and polite. We just went through forms I-485 and I-944. She didn't ask me much, mostly about my studies and my thesis project since I'm an MFA student. She asked me a little bit about my parents, if I had any family in the US or in my country. She asked me a little bit about my OPT job when I was in undergrad, nothing much. With the I-944 we confirmed that yes I didn't file any taxes since I got here because I'm a full-time F1 student, not employed, and it's my parents who support me. She was impressed by my credit score, and I confirmed that my health insurance is through the school.

She didn't asked me for my original documents, just my passport, my driver's license and my student ID.

Since I didn't have my biometrics done yet she told me that if by August 15 I don't get a notice then I should call USCIS and explain the time sensitive case. She told me that she asked the ASC Supervisor and they said they just opened last week.

I just checked my case online and it says "Interview Was Completed And My Case Must Be Reviewed"

So yeah I think that's it. Thank you so much for this forum, it has been of great help. Hopefully my case will get approved.

Hello. I also interviewed at San Francisco FO in 3/2020 and case status has been the same since then. Please update us when your case gets approved.

Hi @Sm1smom,
I have a question which you have already talk about it. I have filed my I-485 before 24th Feb 2020, so I did not file I-944. As you mentioned in one post, the USCIS website described this fact, could you please provide the link, I want to copy that page and take with myself to the interview in case I need it. Thanks.

USCIS has since taken the self sufficiency page down due to the recent COVID-19 related court injunction - you should have printed the information back then when I posted and linked to it. You’re lucky, here’s a link to the archived content /site which you can still print out.