• Hello Members, This forums is for DV lottery visas only. For other immigration related questions, please go to our forums home page, find the related forum and post it there.

DV 2020 AOS Only

Hi all I had my interview on July 31,2020 at Las Vegas. The interview was quite simple the officer asked me for my license and passport and the did make copies of those. At start he asked if any questions for interview and I told him I have couple of mistakes in my i485 and he told we'll look later. Then he asked my name, dob, ssn and then went through 25-30 yes no questions. And almost done with interview he asked where do I work and what is my responsibility and which status I'm working on. Told him on F1-OPT and he asked for EAD and I gave him EAD and told that it is expired and recently I filed STEM and right now working as per receipt and my i20. And when he saw other EAD from my file he asked what is that EAD for then I told him this is the one with Advanced Parole which I've not used. And at last he asked if Nepal issue directly birth certificate in English and I told him now a days they issue directly in ENglish. And then we made corrections on i485 and he asked me to sign. He started doing some work on his computer for around 15 mins and told me that the visa number for July for Nepal is currently not available. He will approve once August allocation is done and told me that he don't see any problems with my file. And yesterday August 4 my status was changed to "New Card is Being Produced". Thank you all and good luck to all of us who are waiting for interview and bio.

congrats bro, jai nepal!

Quick update on our case (FO: Los Angeles)

bio letter received: July 29th (dated July 18th) code 3
According to my Zip code we should go to the La Brea office, but we were assigned to the San Fernando office which was not far either.
bio appointment: today Aug. 5th 9am

Arrived at 8:40am. Asked to come back at 8:45am. Did so and left the building before 9am.

Just received a text and an email on change of case status (5:30pm). And it shows "Fingerprints Were Taken" on egov.uscis.gov for my case but not my husband's yet. (I'm the principal applicant)

Now I'm just waiting on the interview letter. Hope everyone's case moves forward fast!

Where you able to contact USCIS regarding the case decision? I see in your timeline that you had the biometrics done in January so you should have received an answer by now. Have you checked the online case status?

I contacted them via the website and they only said the case is pending adjudication, so I asked Nancy Pelosi's office to submit a congressional inquiry, which they did about 2 weeks ago. I haven't heard back and the case status has not changed. I think there're several on the excel sheet applying from SF office and many are still pending (or didn't update their status on the excel). So please update me as your status changes.

I contacted them via the website and they only said the case is pending adjudication, so I asked Nancy Pelosi's office to submit a congressional inquiry, which they did about 2 weeks ago. I haven't heard back and the case status has not changed. I think there're several on the excel sheet applying from SF office and many are still pending (or didn't update their status on the excel). So please update me as your status changes.

So fair in San Francisco FO there's only 6 of us in the timeline, and 5 of us had the interview except for this "CrisEu" but I can't find his username in the forum. @ophelia and I are the only ones so far who hasn't gotten the Bio letters yet. But yeah I'll keep you guys updated.

I had my interview on Monday and wanted to share my experience. The officer asked me questions from the I-485 form and requested to see my passport and original birth certificate. The interview was pretty straightforward, it lasted for about 30 minutes, and the officer was very professional and considerate. At the end of the interview, he asked if I had any questions. I added some documents to my application (latest pay stubs from on-campus employment, tax transcripts, affidavit of support from my friend, letters from the university verifying my enrollment for the next academic year).
My biometrics appointment was supposed to be on the next day (August 4), but the officer suggested I do bio on the same day (Monday) since I was already at the office (FO and ASC are in the same building). He printed out a new bio appointment for me and took me to the ASC.
All in all, I did everything (interview and bio) in about an hour. The officer told me that my case seemed fine to him but he still needed time to make a decision and wait for background check results.
On the next day, my status changed to "new card is being produced."
I want to express my sincerest and deepest gratitude to this forum, especially to @Sm1smom -- what you are doing is absolutely outstanding and amazing, thank you for this! This forum literally provided me with all the information I need and offered the support that is so important in this stressful journey.
I will post an update once I receive an actual card.
Good luck to everyone else here!

Two quick questions on biometric.

I already received Biometric appointment notice for I-485 with code2. I have been inquiring if this should be code 3.
I also filed I-131, but have not received the bio appointment letter yet.

Q1. Will another appointment letter for I-131 be sent to me?
(My wife got a letter for I-485/I-765, but no I-131 letter yet.)

Q2. Is it typical to go to ASC for biometric twice, I-485 and I-131? Hopefully, I can finish it in a day.

Hello everybody,
I want to share my story in this exciting journey. I am a physician that just finished my J1 waiver last year through working at MUA (medically underserved area), my wife won the DV lottery and I was a derivative applicant.
I got a lawyer to help me out since I have a J1 waiver as friends advised me. Honestly he did not help much, although he said he knew about DV lottery AOS, I ended up correcting him a few times regarding the process from information that I got from this awesome forum!!! He wanted me to file in August 2019!! And it took him about 3 month to get everything ready, I filed a few days before the public charge rule went into effect. My advice is you do not need a lawyer for this, there are only few DV AOS every year and chances are your lawyer has never worked on a DV AOS case before (which is a very unique AOS process).

2020AS0001XXX
6/26/19 - Sent DV check to DOS
7/20/19 - Received DV Fee receipt
2/17/20 - Application mailed
2/21/20 - Application accepted
3/9/20 - BIO Letter received for appointment on 3/27
3/15/20 - We attempted a walk-in BIO but turned down
3/27/20 - BIO appointment cancelled
7/10/20 - Interview letter received
7/15/20 - e-request for “not receiving document for I-485” , I explained (in the explain part of e-request) that USCIS stated a reschedule should be received in 3 week from June 4th and that I am missing my rescheduled BIO letter…. Honestly I am not sure if that helped or not but 5 days after our status updated “to show fingerprints were taken” , they applied our BIO from employment based I-485 done back in 7/2019. We also received a letter a week after saying that same thing.
7/27/20 - Interview date, straight forward interview, very professional IO, took about 20-30 min, IO went over I-485 for me and my wife, checked on birth certificate, IDs and my employment letter. At the end IO said that our application is recommended for approval.
8/5/20 - Called USCIS, talked with trie 1 officer, asked if my background check is completed, he said that “states FBI check is completed but he can not say that background check is completed” , he said to call again if no change in status in 1 week.
8/5/20 - Case status changed to “New Card Is Being Produced” , again not sure if it is because I called them earlier that day or just a coincidence.

@[B]Sm1smom[/B] , thank you so much for everything you are truly an incredibly caring person, I am amazed by the time you put out to help other applicant at no charge!!!
@SusieQQQ , thank you as well, for your help and advice.

To everyone else on this thread , thank you guys for sharing your stories and experience and good luck for everybody in your journey, you will hear the great news soon!!!!!

I have a question regarding employment. I was on the E3 and lost my job at the beginning of COVID. I'm sure I'm not the only one :(
Since I'm waiting on the GC, also waiting on the EAD, I haven't been able to work. Any advice on how to approach this if/when I get an interview. I'm not married (waiting on divorce to be final) so applying alone. I hope to have an I-134 from a close friend, plus bank statements to show savings, 401K etc. Anything else I should take along to help my case when I'm asked about my employment status?

Hello everybody,
I want to share my story in this exciting journey. I am a physician that just finished my J1 waiver last year through working at MUA (medically underserved area), my wife won the DV lottery and I was a derivative applicant.
I got a lawyer to help me out since I have a J1 waiver as friends advised me. Honestly he did not help much, although he said he knew about DV lottery AOS, I ended up correcting him a few times regarding the process from information that I got from this awesome forum!!! He wanted me to file in August 2019!! And it took him about 3 month to get everything ready, I filed a few days before the public charge rule went into effect. My advice is you do not need a lawyer for this, there are only few DV AOS every year and chances are your lawyer has never worked on a DV AOS case before (which is a very unique AOS process).

2020AS0001XXX
6/26/19 - Sent DV check to DOS
7/20/19 - Received DV Fee receipt
2/17/20 - Application mailed
2/21/20 - Application accepted
3/9/20 - BIO Letter received for appointment on 3/27
3/15/20 - We attempted a walk-in BIO but turned down
3/27/20 - BIO appointment cancelled
7/10/20 - Interview letter received
7/15/20 - e-request for “not receiving document for I-485” , I explained (in the explain part of e-request) that USCIS stated a reschedule should be received in 3 week from June 4th and that I am missing my rescheduled BIO letter…. Honestly I am not sure if that helped or not but 5 days after our status updated “to show fingerprints were taken” , they applied our BIO from employment based I-485 done back in 7/2019. We also received a letter a week after saying that same thing.
7/27/20 - Interview date, straight forward interview, very professional IO, took about 20-30 min, IO went over I-485 for me and my wife, checked on birth certificate, IDs and my employment letter. At the end IO said that our application is recommended for approval.
8/5/20 - Called USCIS, talked with trie 1 officer, asked if my background check is completed, he said that “states FBI check is completed but he can not say that background check is completed” , he said to call again if no change in status in 1 week.
8/5/20 - Case status changed to “New Card Is Being Produced” , again not sure if it is because I called them earlier that day or just a coincidence.

@[B]Sm1smom[/B] , thank you so much for everything you are truly an incredibly caring person, I am amazed by the time you put out to help other applicant at no charge!!!
@SusieQQQ , thank you as well, for your help and advice.

To everyone else on this thread , thank you guys for sharing your stories and experience and good luck for everybody in your journey, you will hear the great news soon!!!!!

Such great news! Congratulations.

I have a question regarding employment. I was on the E3 and lost my job at the beginning of COVID. I'm sure I'm not the only one :(
Since I'm waiting on the GC, also waiting on the EAD, I haven't been able to work. Any advice on how to approach this if/when I get an interview. I'm not married (waiting on divorce to be final) so applying alone. I hope to have an I-134 from a close friend, plus bank statements to show savings, 401K etc. Anything else I should take along to help my case when I'm asked about my employment status?

Just be yourself and truthfully answer any question that gets asked.

Kind of good news on Biometric code inquiry to USCIS.
I filed service request on Biometric code via Tier2 rep on Tuesday and just got the reply today by email. Honestly, I didn’t expect such fast response. This is good surprise.

The email says “this is a known issue which ASC is aware of. Please point out the discrepancy at ASC.
The correction can be done at that time.“

It is in line with the post by Suemen.
I will print out this email reply along with Biometric appointment next week and talk to ASC staff.

Lastly, can some one answer to my question?

Quick update from me:
I have attended my expedited biometrics appointment this morning. As I mentioned before, it wasn't at my local ASC but at the USCIS federal building in Newark. As everyone described it's a pretty easy and straightforward process. They took 10 fingerprints+photo+signature. The whole thing lasted for maybe about 10 minutes. I was out of the building in 30 minutes.
Since this was expedited appointment, it was held on a different floor than the one where I had the interview - I think this is a place where infopass is usually done. One remark from my side: I was asked for a passport. Luckily I brought it with myself. So just a note for everyone who has yet to complete this: have a passport by yourself just in case.
Status in the system is still the same (Fingerprint fee was received). Hopefully, I will get approved soon. I'll update when that happens.

Lastly, can some one answer to my question?

EAD/AP is usually issued as a combo card afaik so probably only one bio (why your wife hasn’t received separate 131). I don’t know about you but honestly - it’s irrelevant as there is no way you guys will get EAD or AP before FY end. 4-6 months processing time for these forms at uscis.