• Hello Members, This forums is for DV lottery visas only. For other immigration related questions, please go to our forums home page, find the related forum and post it there.

DV 2020 AOS Only

Just had my interview. First the officer asked questions from the 485 form, then he went over the public charge 944 form. After that he went over personal questions such as why did you play dv, do you like where you live, how you meet your spouse etc. Then he asked if we had any questions. We asked about biometrics, he said they have a backlog and to expect biometrics within next 30 days. He said he didnt see why the case would not be approved once the background check clears. He then locked at the binder we brought in with us and asked if we wanted to add something to the application. We gave him the 2nl, DV fee and high school diploma. And that was it. We didn't give him our sons birth certificate

Hello everyone, I'd like to share my experience with the interview we had today. It was really great. A few days before the interview I was stressing out collecting almost all the previously submitted papers. But non of these papers were actually necessary!

Our interview has been scheduled for 10:30 and we've arrived around 9:40. I asked from the main entrance if they will allow phones, stroller, etc., and the security guy said yes, asking us to come by 10. Field officer, who interviewed us, was very polite and informative. Because of the three kids he interviewed us separately, so my husband and kids have waited in nearby room. At the beginning he asked to provide my IDs (passport, driving licence and birth certificate), then he quickly went over yes/no questions from the I-485 and asked if I've worked in the U.S. (no any other questions). At the end he asked me to sign that form (for me and for the kids). I told him that our bio is scheduled for 8/3, to which he said that our case looks good and that he will approve it once he will receive our biometrics. By 11 we were in the car back to home.

Thank you very much @Sm1smom for your help and for all the forum members here who share their experience. I wish everyone will have their cases approved as quickly as possible.

Hey guys! I just had my interview.

The interview started on time at 8:15 and it lasted between 25-40 minutes. The officer was really nice and polite. We just went through forms I-485 and I-944. She didn't ask me much, mostly about my studies and my thesis project since I'm an MFA student. She asked me a little bit about my parents, if I had any family in the US or in my country. She asked me a little bit about my OPT job when I was in undergrad, nothing much. With the I-944 we confirmed that yes I didn't file any taxes since I got here because I'm a full-time F1 student, not employed, and it's my parents who support me. She was impressed by my credit score, and I confirmed that my health insurance is through the school.

She didn't asked me for my original documents, just my passport, my driver's license and my student ID.

Since I didn't have my biometrics done yet she told me that if by August 15 I don't get a notice then I should call USCIS and explain the time sensitive case. She told me that she asked the ASC Supervisor and they said they just opened last week.

I just checked my case online and it says "Interview Was Completed And My Case Must Be Reviewed"

So yeah I think that's it. Thank you so much for this forum, it has been of great help. Hopefully my case will get approved.

Hello everyone, I'd like to share my experience with the interview we had today. It was really great. A few days before the interview I was stressing out collecting almost all the previously submitted papers. But non of these papers were actually necessary!

Our interview has been scheduled for 10:30 and we've arrived around 9:40. I asked from the main entrance if they will allow phones, stroller, etc., and the security guy said yes, asking us to come by 10. Field officer, who interviewed us, was very polite and informative. Because of the three kids he interviewed us separately, so my husband and kids have waited in nearby room. At the beginning he asked to provide my IDs (passport, driving licence and birth certificate), then he quickly went over yes/no questions from the I-485 and asked if I've worked in the U.S. (no any other questions). At the end he asked me to sign that form (for me and for the kids). I told him that our bio is scheduled for 8/3, to which he said that our case looks good and that he will approve it once he will receive our biometrics. By 11 we were in the car back to home.

Thank you very much @Sm1smom for your help and for all the forum members here who share their experience. I wish everyone will have their cases approved as quickly as possible.

Hi @Lara1! Have a question about kids/husband, each person was interviewed separately, I meant one by one?

Hi @Lara1! Have a question about kids/husband, each person was interviewed separately, I meant one by one?
In our case, the officer interviewed only parents (separately). He wanted to interview us together, but then because of the kids he asked if it’s ok with us to be interviewed separately, so that one of us can stay with the kids.

Last edited:
In our case, the officer interviewed only parents (separately). He wanted to interview us together, but then because of the kids he asked if it’s ok with us to be interviewed separately, so that one of us can stay with the kids.
Thanks for sharing your experience! Glad you did well today!
I thought kids are not allowed to the interview (except for newborn, babies).
Did you ask for any permission to bring the kids or you just walked in as is?
P.S. I have 2 - 8yo and 4yo, so I still haven't decided where to leave them while we visit interview.
Thanks

Thanks for sharing your experience! Glad you did well today!
I thought kids are not allowed to the interview (except for newborn, babies).
Did you ask for any permission to bring the kids or you just walked in as is?
P.S. I have 2 - 8yo and 4yo, so I still haven't decided where to leave them while we visit interview.
Thanks

I haven’t asked, we just went as a whole family :). Mine are 1, 6 and 12 yo. I believe, you can take your children with you. On our IL there was no any notes that we cannot bring them.

Thank you
I’ll keep you updated when I get the mail

Hi mom I received the letter from uscis today, I’ll upload it on thread here , it doesn’t have sensitive information, I don’t understand that I applied for adjust of status via diversity visa lottery not marriage , why it’s confusing bcoz I am married to a US citizen thank you Mom and I appreciate your feedback

Attachments

• E039C72C-7F72-4887-AC6C-20E6FA8CD6DF.jpeg
    E039C72C-7F72-4887-AC6C-20E6FA8CD6DF.jpeg
    209.2 KB · Views: 104
Hi mom I received the letter from uscis today, I’ll upload it on thread here , it doesn’t have sensitive information, I don’t understand that I applied for adjust of status via diversity visa lottery not marriage , why it’s confusing bcoz I am married to a US citizen thank you Mom and I appreciate your feedback

Did you include the DV selection letter/2NL/fee receipt with your i485 as the evidence of your eligibility?

That letter does not assume you are applying based on marriage. It says you did not provide evidence of your eligibility to adjust (on any basis).

Hello,
I had my interview on 27th, the interview was straight forward and the IO was very professional
, going over i-485 questions then checking birth certificate and employment letter. At the end, he said that he will recommend the application for approval and we will get our green cards in mail.
since then our case status still saying “case was updated to show fingerprints were taken”, how long does it take to update the case status??

I've got a couple of updates:
  1. Spoke to tier 2 representative today, and they confirmed my biometrics appointment was booked yesterday, for August 17th, which I've added to the spreadsheet. I asked which code, and the representative confirmed it was a code 3, and emailed me a copy of the notice. Oddly enough, even though my local ASC is only a few miles from me, the ASC I've been assigned, is one 25 miles away.
  2. On Tuesday, I also confirmed with KCC that my field office had requested my file, and it would be emailed to them, that day.
FYI line 98 of the timeline spreadsheet is blank.
Hello,
I have a question about background check. How long does that usually take? Thanks.
There's no fixed answer- as others have noted before, it can take a couple of days for some, and months for others, depending on a variety of factors.

Hey everyone. So as I mentioned before I had an infopass appointment scheduled for me today (and was not sure if that is the interview letter), though it says in the letter that I should bring all supporting documents for my case. So first, it was supposed to be at the Los Angeles Field Office (I double-checked the address), and this morning a lady called me that the location will be changed due to protests happening in the Downtown area and that she will be processing my case. The location was changed to the La Brea ASC that finally opened today so I thought to myself "Oh great they will be able to take my biometrics as well". I arrived on time, and the lady quickly proceeded to take my fingerprints, took my passport, verified some info, and told me that I'm done. I was a bit confused and asked whether this was the interview as well, and she said it is not. She said they just took my fingerprints for the background check, and if they need me for an interview, later on, I will receive a call from USCIS.

A bit strange, considering that the Downtown ASC opened on the 20th, and it is not located in the Field Office building, nor did they make an appointment for me straight to the La Brea ASC which is why I thought this might be my interview. Anyhow, ever since I called Tier 2 and she made the e-request for my case on 23, I received an email that the request was received and 2 hours after that they called me about the Infopass appointment (my biometrics apparently), so I'm pretty sure the e-request speeded up my process.

Will keep updating if anything comes up.

Hey @Kentavar2397 I noticed that the Los Angeles FO was updated on the USCIS website as closed on Monday 27th until further notice and is still currently closed. This might explain the change of venue for your appointment on Monday? Fingers crossed it reopens soon before our interview dates.

I've got a couple of updates:
  1. Spoke to tier 2 representative today, and they confirmed my biometrics appointment was booked yesterday, for August 17th, which I've added to the spreadsheet. I asked which code, and the representative confirmed it was a code 3, and emailed me a copy of the notice. Oddly enough, even though my local ASC is only a few miles from me, the ASC I've been assigned, is one 25 miles away.
  2. On Tuesday, I also confirmed with KCC that my field office had requested my file, and it would be emailed to them, that day.
FYI line 98 of the timeline spreadsheet is blank.

There's no fixed answer- as others have noted before, it can take a couple of days for some, and months for others, depending on a variety of factors.
Hi,
Thanks for your update.
I have a question. How do you know that the field office requested your file from KCC? I always think that after NBC work on the file and prepare a background check; then, they send it to the field office.
Thanks,

Hi,
Thanks for your update.
I have a question. How do you know that the field office requested your file from KCC? I always think that after NBC work on the file and prepare a background check; then, they send it to the field office.
Thanks,
What Field Office requests from KCC is in fact a visa slot. Some field offices request files from KCC after interview others before interview.
You can call (not email) KCC to see if your FO has requested your file from them!
Don't panic if they have not done it yet as it's just a matter of seconds to transfer your file to local field office and they may do that after your interview!

Hi,
Thanks for your update.
Thanks,
2020AS00011xxx had a good answer, and I learnt something too :D

To clarify- the I-485 AoS application goes to the lockbox, then to NBC, then the field office. KCC has your DV case file. When the FO gets your USCIS I-485 application from the NBC, they need to request your DV case from the KCC- or at least that's how it was described to me. I was periodically calling the KCC, to check if this had been done, as a way of assessing whether my matter was progressing or not.

To add to 2020AS00011xxx's comment- whilst it may not be of concern, if KCC hasn't sent your file to your FO, at any particular point in the process, it is something that gets overlooked sometimes, based on what I've read, on these forums, hence why I was checking it regularly, and submitted a service request for it. In 2020, with 2 months to go, I'm trying not to leave anything to chance.

Did you include the DV selection letter/2NL/fee receipt with your i485 as the evidence of your eligibility?

That letter does not assume you are applying based on marriage. It says you did not provide evidence of your eligibility to adjust (on any basis).
I provided everything on the package and it was so clear that it’s AOS base of DV 2020, tomorrow I’ll call uscis to talk to tier 2

Hi,

Does anyone have the experience of change address? I would like to know how long it takes for the case to be transferred to the new FO? Is there any way to expedite it.

I have updated my case address after moving to another state. I called the customer service last week and was told that my case is still in NBC. I also changed my address and get the confirmation last week. But, today I was told that the case is still delivered to the FO of my old address.

The agent's answer is skeptical. I asked him which FO has my case, and he can answer me only after I told her where is my old address. Thank you all.