• Hello Members, This forums is for DV lottery visas only. For other immigration related questions, please go to our forums home page, find the related forum and post it there.

DV 2020 AOS Only

Hi mom I received the letter from uscis today, I’ll upload it on thread here , it doesn’t have sensitive information, I don’t understand that I applied for adjust of status via diversity visa lottery not marriage , why it’s confusing bcoz I am married to a US citizen thank you Mom and I appreciate your feedback

The letter says you did not establish basis of filing AOS. So a couple of questions for you:
1. Did you make the $330 DV payment and included a copy of the receipt with your AOS package?
2. Did you include a copy of your 1NL?
3. Take a look at your I-485 (hopefully you kept a copy), how did you fill out Part 2 Sections 2a - 10? What did you select there?
4. Did you fill out Part 2 Sections 12 & 13? If yes, what did you put there?

Your response can help determine or narrow down what could be the issue.

Hello,
I have a question about background check. How long does that usually take? Thanks.

It varies. Clearance could be within 24 to 48 hours for some. It could be a could be a couple of weeks. It could be a couple of months. And for some, a couple of years. It all depends on the individual being checked and what their specific background entails, which may include country of origin for some, or countries visited in the past for others.

Hello,
I had my interview on 27th, the interview was straight forward and the IO was very professional
, going over i-485 questions then checking birth certificate and employment letter. At the end, he said that he will recommend the application for approval and we will get our green cards in mail.
since then our case status still saying “case was updated to show fingerprints were taken”, how long does it take to update the case status??

It takes as long as the IO needs to make a decision. Could be hours, days, weeks or months. There’s no one-size fits all time frame in this process.

It varies. Clearance could be within 24 to 48 hours for some. It could be a could be a couple of weeks. It could be a couple of months. And for some, a couple of years. It all depends on the individual being checked and what their specific background entails, which may include country of origin for some, or countries visited in the past for others.
Thank you very much mom! Does it make it faster if we haven’t left U.S. since we were issued student visa? Or this background check is different from the administrative processing for non-immigrant visa.

Hi,

Does anyone have the experience of change address? I would like to know how long it takes for the case to be transferred to the new FO? Is there any way to expedite it.

I have updated my case address after moving to another state. I called the customer service last week and was told that my case is still in NBC. I also changed my address and get the confirmation last week. But, today I was told that the case is still delivered to the FO of my old address.

The agent's answer is skeptical. I asked him which FO has my case, and he can answer me only after I told her where is my old address. Thank you all.

You moved to a new address which falls outside the jurisdiction of the address on your I-485? When did you file AOS and when did you move? Has USCIS accepted your AOS package?

Thank you very much mom! Does it make it faster if we haven’t left U.S. since we were issued student visa? Or this background check is different from the administrative processing for non-immigrant visa.

Not having left the US since arrival (regardless of how long) does not matter. A potential AOS based AP is the same as a CP based AP. If you’ve ever been subjected to a prolonged AP during your NIV process in the past, you can expect a similar prolonged AP hen you file AOS.

You moved to a new address which falls outside the jurisdiction of the address on your I-485? When did you file AOS and when did you move? Has USCIS accepted your AOS package?

Thank you for your answer. I move across states, so it should be a different jurisdiction. The package was delivered on June 26, and I filed the change of address on July 17. I moved on July 15. USCIS has accepted my package. The NOA was sent to my old address, but I get the duplicate NOA from my attorney. Thus, I would like to know what I else I can do.

Thanks for sharing your experience! Glad you did well today!
I thought kids are not allowed to the interview (except for newborn, babies).
Did you ask for any permission to bring the kids or you just walked in as is?
P.S. I have 2 - 8yo and 4yo, so I still haven't decided where to leave them while we visit interview.
Thanks
Why do you think kids are not allowed to bring? Your children are applying with you, right? Have they received an interview letter? Why do you think they need to stay home?

Thank you for your answer. I move across states, so it should be a different jurisdiction. The package was delivered on June 26, and I filed the change of address on July 17. I moved on July 15. USCIS has accepted my package. The NOA was sent to my old address, but I get the duplicate NOA from my attorney. Thus, I would like to know what I else I can do.

At this point? Nothing. Moving after filing tends to introduce additional delays. Right now, everything is dependent on the first FO - depending on how long it takes for them to realize you’ve moved and your case is no longer under their jurisdiction. This may even be after they invite you for an interview and you show up, then they tell you they have no jurisdiction over the case and the case file must be transferred. Filing and moving to a new State with just 2 months to the end of the FY wasn’t a good idea IMO.

Anyw since you already have a lawyer helping with your case, these are questions you should be asking them.

Hi,
Thanks for your update.
I have a question. How do you know that the field office requested your file from KCC? I always think that after NBC work on the file and prepare a background check; then, they send it to the field office.
Thanks,

Could be depended on FO request or if NBC found your file review complete. I filed in may and when I called in June a tier 2 officer confirmed that my file is already at my FO at lawrence, MA. I still haven't done my biometrics so file could be sent even before background and biometrics check.

@Sm1smom
I have a question.
I read somewhere that NBC’s primary mission is to prepare an application including conducting background and security checks and reviewing the evidence an applicant submits to support their eligibility for the benefit.
That DV lottery cases are treated differently and are shipped within a short period of time to local field offices means that NBC isn't involved and reviewing process is all at the discretion of the local FO?
or Reviewing DV Lottery cases must still be completed by NBC before they can be shipped to local FO?
Thank you in advance

Just to add my info to all the bio discussion. I’ve got 2 copies of bio letters for each person filing with me. That’s 8 letters total for 4 people.
- two adults got code 3 bios
- two kids under 10 got code 2 bios
I don’t know if it matters. I guess we will see.

aprilg, it looks similar (not the same) as it was in my case.
In my case, I got extra bio letters for a different day a little bit after the interview.
When I called USCIS I found out that first bio letters were sent manually (when FO wanted to schedule appointments for all DV applicants on the same day). Other BIO letters were sent automatically without knowing that they were sent manually before because FO wanted to expedite DV cases. At least, that's what I understood from the conversation we had. So, if it's for the same day in your case, I wouldn't be worried and I would just go there for BIO and ask why you got 2 mails per person instead of one.

The letter says you did not establish basis of filing AOS. So a couple of questions for you:
1. Did you make the $330 DV payment and included a copy of the receipt with your AOS package?
2. Did you include a copy of your 1NL?
3. Take a look at your I-485 (hopefully you kept a copy), how did you fill out Part 2 Sections 2a - 10? What did you select there?
4. Did you fill out Part 2 Sections 12 & 13? If yes, what did you put there?

Your response can help determine or narrow down what could be the issue.
Hi mom yes I included $330 DV payment and a copy of receipt
Part 2 section 12 ; marked as diversity visa program
Part 2 section 12 and 13 is blank
I called uscis and tier 2 told me I saw on the system that your AOS is base on family
I told him NO, he said you have to reply on a letter explaining this
I will write a letter explaining this and I’ll include the $330 receipt
What else Mom I should send ? thank you so much

I called uscis and tier 2 told me I saw on the system that your AOS is base on family
You didn’t answer mom’s question 2, did you include your selection letter?

Since you didn’t quite answer all the questions I asked, giving you the much needed guidance becomes quite difficult. Even the answers you provided here is quite confusing:
“Part 2 section 12 ; marked as diversity visa program
Part 2 section 12 and 13 is blank”
You said you marked section 12 as DV, you followed up by saying you left second 12 blank. You also didn’t answer the question regarding the 1NL.

I don’t know if it is intentional or lack of understanding, but I’ve observed you selectively answer questions here. I once asked why your wife wasn’t listed on your I-944 and I recollect you didn’t answer that question either.

If the USCIS rep says the system shows your application comes up as family based, I’m willing to bet the error is from your side based on how you filled out your I-485.

Respond to the RFE with a clear letter stating you’re applying based on being a DV selectee. Include copies of your 1NL, 2NL, and the DV payment receipt. Send it by priority mail with proof of delivery or send it by courier.

Hey @Kentavar2397 I noticed that the Los Angeles FO was updated on the USCIS website as closed on Monday 27th until further notice and is still currently closed. This might explain the change of venue for your appointment on Monday? Fingers crossed it reopens soon before our interview dates.
What happens if the office is still closed before the given interview dates? Would they reach out to you and inform you on where to take the interview? Does this affect already-given interview dates?

@Sm1smom ,

In today s news it says that Federal judge blocks Trump immigration 'public charge' rule due to pandemic. What are your thoughts? Does it change anything for us (regarding i-944 form)?

Additional response to my previous one.

On the surface, a Federal judge blocking Trump’s new public charge rule due to the pandemic sounds like great news. This injunction is now impacting case adjudication, causing unintentional delay. I’m seeing more and more reports from people completing family based GC process via CP of COs putting them on AP because they’re awaiting further guidance on how to determine if one is likely to become a public charge or not.

Also according to AILA, “USCIS officials informed staffers late Wednesday to hold cases where public charge would've applied, per email I obtained.” Aleaziz also tweeted that “The email said the cases would be held until more guidance was received.” On July 30, 2020, CBS News reporter Camilo Montoya-Galvez tweeted a response from USCIS to the court order: “USCIS is currently reviewing the court’s decision. USCIS will fully comply with the court’s order and will be providing additional guidance.”
AILA: Public Charge Changes at USCIS, DOJ, and DOS

What this means is that we may begin to see more delays in getting cases approved, after both the bio and interview have been successfully completed.

I was wondering, is it possible that the FO schedule the interview and do not update the sistem?
It is true that we get a call, but today I tried to call the tier2 and ask if they can see our interview letter (I wanna asked her to send that by email)but she said that she don't see anything, just my Bio.
is that possible?
The FO does not comunicate the interview?

Additional response to my previous one.

On the surface, a Federal judge blocking Trump’s new public charge rule due to the pandemic sounds like great news. This injunction is now impacting case adjudication, causing unintentional delay. I’m seeing more and more reports from people completing family based GC process via CP of COs putting them on AP because they’re awaiting further guidance on how to determine if one is likely to become a public charge or not.

Also according to AILA, “USCIS officials informed staffers late Wednesday to hold cases where public charge would've applied, per email I obtained.” Aleaziz also tweeted that “The email said the cases would be held until more guidance was received.” On July 30, 2020, CBS News reporter Camilo Montoya-Galvez tweeted a response from USCIS to the court order: “USCIS is currently reviewing the court’s decision. USCIS will fully comply with the court’s order and will be providing additional guidance.”
AILA: Public Charge Changes at USCIS, DOJ, and DOS

What this means is that we may begin to see more delays in getting cases approved, after both the bio and interview have been successfully completed.
Thank you, @Sm1smom, for these insights. That's not a good news for DV AOS-ers :( Hope that they will clarify it ASAP. Anyway, I still need to wait for my biometrics on Aug 17 and my interview sometime after that...