• Hello Members, This forums is for DV lottery visas only. For other immigration related questions, please go to our forums home page, find the related forum and post it there.

DV 2020 All Selectees

Hi

Little question about the ds 260 and the part with previous education. I have a bachelor degree, vocational school and high school diploma. I think I have to mention all of them. But I have concerns about the school, because I attended 2 different schools. I spent first 4 years in one school and next 6 years in another one (the one which gave me the diploma). I don't have any certificates from the 1st school (I think I could get some kind of letter from that school now, that I studied there, but it's not a certificate or diploma). Should I just state that I studied in school #2 for six years and gained the high school diploma? Or should I state that I spent just 10 years in one school (but it's not true)? If I add one more institution the form requires the data about the document received (diploma, certificate, etc.). I am just worried, that they would think that my high school diploma is not eligible as it's only 6 years. But the truth is that I just switched the schools in the middle of a year and they both were in one city.

Hi

Little question about the ds 260 and the part with previous education. I have a bachelor degree, vocational school and high school diploma. I think I have to mention all of them. But I have concerns about the school, because I attended 2 different schools. I spent first 4 years in one school and next 6 years in another one (the one which gave me the diploma). I don't have any certificates from the 1st school (I think I could get some kind of letter from that school now, that I studied there, but it's not a certificate or diploma). Should I just state that I studied in school #2 for six years and gained the high school diploma? Or should I state that I spent just 10 years in one school (but it's not true)? If I add one more institution the form requires the data about the document received (diploma, certificate, etc.). I am just worried, that they would think that my high school diploma is not eligible as it's only 6 years. But the truth is that I just switched the schools in the middle of a year and they both were in one city.

You’re overthinking. It says list all secondary schools attended. List both of them. Generally people who change high schools only get a diploma from the one they graduate from.

You’re overthinking. It says list all secondary schools attended. List both of them. Generally people who change high schools only get a diploma from the one they graduate from.

Thank you for your answer. But how exactly do I list both of them? The form requires the info about the certificate received. I have received none from the 1st school.

Hello Moderators

if a someone was selected as a main applicant or accompanying in DV-2020, but his CN is high
Does he have the right to apply again at DV 2021? Or he must wait until he sees the result of the monthly bulletins?

Hello Moderators

if a someone was selected as a main applicant or accompanying in DV-2020, but his CN is high
Does he have the right to apply again at DV 2021? Or he must wait until he sees the result of the monthly bulletins?

Yes you can submit an entry for DV2021 when registration opens, you’re not prohibited from doing so.

Hey everyone!
I have a question regarding the proof of funds.
What's a good amount of money to have in the bank for being approved at the interview?

Hey everyone!
I have a question regarding the proof of funds.
What's a good amount of money to have in the bank for being approved at the interview?

For some years we have been saying $10,000 per person - but consider that a minimum amount - and if you are unsure, get an I-134.

For some years we have been saying $10,000 per person - but consider that a minimum amount - and if you are unsure, get an I-134.
I understand. I heard of different EU CNs experiences regarding this. A friend of mine had 20k € in the bank account, no parents in the USA, and got approved. Another person had more than 20k in the bank, a relative in the USA but no affidavit, and the Counselor came to a conclusion that the assets were not enough. Now it's either that these experiences are not true or it's always different, case by case. What do you think?

I understand. I heard of different EU CNs experiences regarding this. A friend of mine had 20k € in the bank account, no parents in the USA, and got approved. Another person had more than 20k in the bank, a relative in the USA but no affidavit, and the Counselor came to a conclusion that the assets were not enough. Now it's either that these experiences are not true or it's always different, case by case. What do you think?

Of course it’s case by case! Let’s say example 1, a young graduate in computer science with $10k in the bank. Example 2, a retired person with chronic health problems, with $10k in the bank. Obviously the 10k will be looked at totally differently in these cases.

Yup, as Susie says - case by case for exactly the reason she said.

What if you're a student and have no savings, but have a line of credit for up to $300K? Would getting an I-134 be recommended in this case?

I’d love to know what bank gives a $300k line of credit to a student with no assets?! Anyway you’d need to pay that back at some stage, so it doesn’t get you away from needing to show income or savings. (And If it’s a student loan it adds to rather than reduces your public charge issues imo.)

Pretty much any major bank in Canada (RBC, CIBC, Scotia, TD etc). I have Scotia Professional Student Plan line of credit and that one goes up to $300K, and all you have to do is to show that you're a student. But yea, you have a good point, as it's all just credit - it's better to show income/savings and potentially get an I-134. Thanks!

How are you guys?
I just got one question. If I don't have a proof of funds, is there a big impact on the interview?
Is this because of public charge issues? Do I need to ready this before my interview?

Last edited:
Pretty much any major bank in Canada (RBC, CIBC, Scotia, TD etc). I have Scotia Professional Student Plan line of credit and that one goes up to $300K, and all you have to do is to show that you're a student. But yea, you have a good point, as it's all just credit - it's better to show income/savings and potentially get an I-134. Thanks!
Good thing I don't own any Canadian bank shares. That's just a crazy thing to do from a credit risk perspective, unless of course you have a parent or someone standing surety for the line.

Definitely wasn’t the case when I lived in Canada several years ago. Some of those banks wouldn’t even issue a secured credit card to a new permanent resident, talkless of a line of credit to a student.