• Hello Members, This forums is for DV lottery visas only. For other immigration related questions, please go to our forums home page, find the related forum and post it there.

DV 2019 Oceania Selectees

Hey everyone - I finally got around to my activation trip last month and am now back in Australia. Surprisingly the Green Card came within two weeks, but my SSN never came and I had to go to the SSN office to apply for one.

Just wanted to ask a question for those who are back in Australia post-activation trip and are intending on moving in a few months. Did any of you enroll in health insurance for the 2019 year? I'm conscious that I now need to file taxes in the US for 2019 but am worried I'll be penalized if I don't hold health insurance we are now LPR's. There's a 60 day special enrollment window that allows people who've had a chance in circumstance (i.e. lost coverage from employer, moved, etc.) to get health insurance outside of open enrollment so I'm thinking about whether I should take that up?

Also, is anyone who is now back in Australia enrolling in the current open enrollment period for 2020 right now?

I've spoken to a couple of Aus companies, and they said there's no exclusion as a US permanent resident, as long as I purchase as an Aus citizen I'm covered in America. I'm a bit concerned though that they won't accept a claim should anything happen medically, as the customer service reps weren't all that convincing.

When I did my activation trip I ended up researching this point a fair bit through by reading the Product Disclosure Statement (terms and conditions) of a few different travel insurance policies. The conclusion I came to in the end was that you could purchase the insurance and be covered if you were an Australian resident. In their view, "Australian resident" was anyone who was willing and eligible to be repatriated to Australia if needed.

I'd imagine this was with the intention of excluding people on a tourist visa purchasing the policy who, after leaving the country to do travels to another country, may not be able to come back. The insurance company would be required to repatriate them back to their home country.

Hey everyone - I finally got around to my activation trip last month and am now back in Australia. Surprisingly the Green Card came within two weeks, but my SSN never came and I had to go to the SSN office to apply for one.

Just wanted to ask a question for those who are back in Australia post-activation trip and are intending on moving in a few months. Did any of you enroll in health insurance for the 2019 year? I'm conscious that I now need to file taxes in the US for 2019 but am worried I'll be penalized if I don't hold health insurance we are now LPR's. There's a 60 day special enrollment window that allows people who've had a chance in circumstance (i.e. lost coverage from employer, moved, etc.) to get health insurance outside of open enrollment so I'm thinking about whether I should take that up?

Also, is anyone who is now back in Australia enrolling in the current open enrollment period for 2020 right now?

When I did my activation trip I ended up researching this point a fair bit through by reading the Product Disclosure Statement (terms and conditions) of a few different travel insurance policies. The conclusion I came to in the end was that you could purchase the insurance and be covered if you were an Australian resident. In their view, "Australian resident" was anyone who was willing and eligible to be repatriated to Australia if needed.

I'd imagine this was with the intention of excluding people on a tourist visa purchasing the policy who, after leaving the country to do travels to another country, may not be able to come back. The insurance company would be required to repatriate them back to their home country.

Physical move of address counts as a reason for special enrollment, we did that when we moved months after activation. There is some kind of clause (unless it’s changed) that if you are physically located outside the US you don’t get penalized on tax for not having insurance for that period of time.

Is there a way to check if your social security card has been issued after you have been in to see them at the office?

Random question :)

So GC has been received at my US address. This was after my activation trip back in August. I am back in Australia for a few more months. Do I have to ensure I have it physically on me on my trip back to the USA in March or will the issued one in my passport suffice?

Also hope everyone is doing well!

Random question :)

So GC has been received at my US address. This was after my activation trip back in August. I am back in Australia for a few more months. Do I have to ensure I have it physically on me on my trip back to the USA in March or will the issued one in my passport suffice?

Also hope everyone is doing well!

Technically the one in your passport suffices, and it will be fine to enter the US. In practice airline personnel sometimes get confused (they think all they are seeing is an expired visa) and it’s often just easier if you have your actual green card in hand.

Hi,

I need some help here. After my DV lottery visa interview, I was put on Further Adminstrative Processing and given a letter which contained the list of document I had to send to the US embassy. However, when I go to CEACStatTracker/Status and then enter my Case Number, it says Invalid Immigrant Visa Case Number. I have tried the case number which was given by KCC when i got selected and also the case number which is typed in DS-260, without zeros.

Please assist me out with this. Thanks.

Hi,

I need some help here. After my DV lottery visa interview, I was put on Further Adminstrative Processing and given a letter which contained the list of document I had to send to the US embassy. However, when I go to CEACStatTracker/Status and then enter my Case Number, it says Invalid Immigrant Visa Case Number. I have tried the case number which was given by KCC when i got selected and also the case number which is typed in DS-260, without zeros.

DV2020 cases are currently not available on CEAC - they are typically not available until January of the following year

Hi,

Care to shed more light on what these documents are by the way?

Hi,

Which embassy did you do your interview at?

Do any of the more knowledgeable members mind if I DM them regarding a scenario with my case?

Long story short- won DV 2019. Activation trip done in Aug 2019 and final move was meant to be Mar 2020.

My husband (US citizen) is now in hospital so I have flown over before scheduled final move and after initial activation trip. Does this affect anything? I do have more questions but would prefer for them to be answered privately if the knowledge is there.

Do any of the more knowledgeable members mind if I DM them regarding a scenario with my case?

Long story short- won DV 2019. Activation trip done in Aug 2019 and final move was meant to be Mar 2020.

My husband (US citizen) is now in hospital so I have flown over before scheduled final move and after initial activation trip. Does this affect anything? I do have more questions but would prefer for them to be answered privately if the knowledge is there.
Not sure if I can help but happy for you to message me

The US itself doesn’t classify any of those trips the way you have, so, no it doesn’t affect that. Sorry to hear about your husband - wishing him a speedy recovery.

Hi DV2019 selectees! Those from NZ, how much luggage did you take with you? Did you freight any of it? We are trying to go light, but want to weigh up (if you’ll pardon the pun) our options!

Hi DV2019 selectees! Those from NZ, how much luggage did you take with you? Did you freight any of it? We are trying to go light, but want to weigh up (if you’ll pardon the pun) our options!

Took a piece of luggage for each of us and freighted over a few things that were important to us. But nothing large like furniture as that is expensive and not a good idea from a financial point of view.

Hi Everyone, sorry if someone has already asked this in the last 98 pages or so... I'm Australian and i was selected in the DV2020. I'm living in England now, so when i put in my DS260 i asked for the interview location to be changed to London, does anyone know if this will slow down the processing times?

If your address is already entered as England then your case will be sent directly to that embassy - there should be no delay

If you had already been scheduled in Sydney and requested a change, that would cause a delay

If your address is already entered as England then your case will be sent directly to that embassy - there should be no delay

If you had already been scheduled in Sydney and requested a change, that would cause a delay
Damn it! Yep, when I entered I was still living in Australia. I put in the ds260 back in June, and have just submitted the additional documentation now. Just trying to work out when-ish I’ll be interviewing / potentially moving!