• Hello Members, This forums is for DV lottery visas only. For other immigration related questions, please go to our forums home page, find the related forum and post it there.

DV 2019 Oceania Selectees

Hi all,

I've been a long-time lurker and a one-time poster (months ago). Thank you all for sharing your wealth of knowledge.

I'm in the late 600's and still haven't received my 2NL, I sent in my documents months ago and received an automatic reply, but otherwise have had no correspondence from KCC.

Should I be worried? I'm considering reaching out to KCC, but not sure if I'd be jumping the gun.

Have you checked the website where you first get the winner letter? The letter will update to the interview letter when it is time.

Yeah I'd email KCC. Would have expected a confirmation that your documents are all in order after "months".

My quote for the Patriot America coverage is $776 usd from July 1st to December 31st which after going to the Affordable Care Act insurance site seems to be cheaper than the plans there which are around $220 - $270 per month.
I'm confused by some of the insurance, the Patriot America one states that eligibility is for

"non US Residents, who permanently live outside the USA, for traveling to the USA, and anywhere outside their country of Residence"

Considering we will be US residents is this policy ok for us to use? Many of the others exclude Australia and New Zealand - boo to them!!

I'm just not sure which one to take out

Question for those that have had interviews in Sydney already - were you asked to provide and I-134 or show savings?
I have an I-134 but just curious to see if Sydney Embassy asks for it normally

I'm confused by some of the insurance, the Patriot America one states that eligibility is for

"non US Residents, who permanently live outside the USA, for traveling to the USA, and anywhere outside their country of Residence"

Considering we will be US residents is this policy ok for us to use? Many of the others exclude Australia and New Zealand - boo to them!!

I'm just not sure which one to take out

There are some policies that are geared toward recent immigrants. Those are the safest, because there is often the period of time (activation trips) where travel insurance is risky if they find out you are a legal US resident, but you don't want the expense of an ACA plan. If you are staying in the US, (i.e. not just an activation trip) you can either take an ACA plan or use one of the new immigrant plans as a bridge until you have a plan provided through a job.

Excuse my ignorance, but what is an ACA plan? There is also this:

https://www.visitorscoverage.com/short-term-health-insurance-plans/

ACA = Affordable Care Act (Obamacare)
These are the type of plans you need for ongoing coverage if you have moved to the USA. Plans offered by employers are ACA approved plans and cover emergency/non emergency health events.

If you do not want an ACA plan you should choose a plan specifically that covers immigrants. That is because you do NOT want to use a travel insurance plan that has a chance of not paying out when they find you are an LPR. These plans are NOT ACA replacements and are designed to provide some comfort for emergency health events.
https://www.visitorscoverage.com/green-card-health-insurance/plans/

What you need to understand about healthcare in the USA is that medical bills can very easily/quickly become 6 and 7 figure events. If you are poor, that isn't so much of a problem, but if you have assets and are starting a life in the USA you do not want to be uninsured.

There are some policies that are geared toward recent immigrants. Those are the safest, because there is often the period of time (activation trips) where travel insurance is risky if they find out you are a legal US resident, but you don't want the expense of an ACA plan. If you are staying in the US, (i.e. not just an activation trip) you can either take an ACA plan or use one of the new immigrant plans as a bridge until you have a plan provided through a job.
Thanks for clarifying all of that Simon, I'll look at the ACA Plans as I am planning on just moving in one go

I have also decided to just move in one go. But it seems the ACA plans need a US address so I guess get a temp insurance plan from the list above and then try and move to ACA after is the best option?

I do not want to even remotely risk being uninsured as I have a history of kidney stones and those things can strike out of nowhere.

I do not want to even remotely risk being uninsured as I have a history of kidney stones and those things can strike out of nowhere.

OK - so that is a requirement you need to consider.

Part of what made ACA plans "expensive" was forcing the insurance companies to cover pre-existing conditions. That was not the case before Obamacare, insurance companies could rate people however they liked based on medical history - leading to a great many people who were "priced out" of any insurance policies. People that whine about Obamacare forget that "little detail".

Several of the immigrant plans I linked to also cover pre existing conditions - but make sure you check for that being included in whatever policy you choose.

I am if everything goes smoothly I’m hoping for an activation trip on the 4th of July. Purely for corny reasons I think it would be nice to be an offical LPR on Independence Day.

I plan on staying a week or 10 days just to get a bank account set up and check out a few rental properties I have been communicating with.

What about you?

I am if everything goes smoothly I’m hoping for an activation trip on the 4th of July. Purely for corny reasons I think it would be nice to be an offical LPR on Independence Day.

I plan on staying a week or 10 days just to get a bank account set up and check out a few rental properties I have been communicating with.

What about you?

Make sure the jet lag doesn’t stop,you staying up for the fireworks :)