• Hello Members, This forums is for DV lottery visas only. For other immigration related questions, please go to our forums home page, find the related forum and post it there.

DV 2019 Oceania Selectees

It's not hard. I did it last year as a tourist, with the US Bank. Just do your research as to what documentation is required, but there was nothing unusual about it.

Hey Doug how did you get around getting a mailing address for your card to be sent to etc?

Has anyone in the group with an OC800 + received their 2NL yet ? I keep looking but nothing yet :) ...
I have checked like 60 bajillion times and no updates. You aren’t alone. I saw on Simons website that other countries are reporting they are getting their 2nl already. Haven’t heard anyone in Oceania getting theirs yet.

You’re welcome. Hopefully we will hear something this week as I have to book flights for my medical etc. Have you worked out which Dr you’re going to for your medical?

Just thought I might post an update here... I had my visa interview this week and was fortunate enough to be granted a visa!

The interview was pretty straight forward, asking questions about why I wanted to move to the U.S., what my plans are once I land, how much funds do I have available, what kind of work I am doing, am I married, etc.? The questions weren't too hard and pretty straight forward to answer and I was out after an hour and half. My passport was mailed back the next day and it was back with me two days after!

The only thing surprising was probably the number of people who seemed to be refused visa. This was mainly because they got their country of chargability wrong (probably half of those having interviews had chosen Australia, despite being born in a different region, so a critical error that couldn't be overcome).

Anyway - thanks to everyone in this forum for their help! Hoping to see some more success posts soon!

Comgrats!

And yes the couple before me seemed to have their visa refused going by their reaction. Probably wasn't a dv visa but its important not to assume anything

Just thought I might post an update here... I had my visa interview this week and was fortunate enough to be granted a visa!

The interview was pretty straight forward, asking questions about why I wanted to move to the U.S., what my plans are once I land, how much funds do I have available, what kind of work I am doing, am I married, etc.? The questions weren't too hard and pretty straight forward to answer and I was out after an hour and half. My passport was mailed back the next day and it was back with me two days after!

The only thing surprising was probably the number of people who seemed to be refused visa. This was mainly because they got their country of chargability wrong (probably half of those having interviews had chosen Australia, despite being born in a different region, so a critical error that couldn't be overcome).

Anyway - thanks to everyone in this forum for their help! Hoping to see some more success posts soon!
Congratulations Jiang I’m so happy for you! Did you have a bank statement etc when you went to your interview.

Thanks Bob22 and Mijoro!

Comgrats!

And yes the couple before me seemed to have their visa refused going by their reaction. Probably wasn't a dv visa but its important not to assume anything

In think in my situation, all those refused were DV applicants, largely because they selected 'Australia' as their country of chargability. All the people waiting were Immigrant visas (I was told that they only do Immigrant visas one day a week). The set up of the Sydney Consulate's Visa Unit has loud speakers/microphones which means you can generally hear most parts (there's nothing else to watch/talk to in the Consulate).

Congratulations Jiang I’m so happy for you! Did you have a bank statement etc when you went to your interview.

I just had printouts of the account summary pages that showed the date, account, and amount. It didn't have any exact transaction history. That said, most didn't get asked for proof of funds. Only one other person was asked (while I was there). It might have come down to age as a fair few in their early 20's may not necessarily have as much saved as those who have been in the workforce for a while (only a hunch)...?

Thanks Bob22 and Mijoro!

In think in my situation, all those refused were DV applicants, largely because they selected 'Australia' as their country of chargability. All the people waiting were Immigrant visas (I was told that they only do Immigrant visas one day a week). The set up of the Sydney Consulate's Visa Unit has loud speakers/microphones which means you can generally hear most parts (there's nothing else to watch/talk to in the Consulate).

I just had printouts of the account summary pages that showed the date, account, and amount. It didn't have any exact transaction history. That said, most didn't get asked for proof of funds. Only one other person was asked (while I was there). It might have come down to age as a fair few in their early 20's may not necessarily have as much saved as those who have been in the workforce for a while (only a hunch)...?
How long did your interview take from start to finish?

How long did your interview take from start to finish?

Probably five to ten minutes. I spent about an hour and half waiting though.

Essentially, you pass through security, take the elevator up to the Consulate floor, take a ticket and wait for a bit, someone calls you up to collect your documents/quickly glance over them and checklist, you pay your fee, then you sit down and wait again, the Interviewing Officer will then pick up your file (in due course) and look through everything, checking to see if it's all correct and you meet the requirements and then calls you over for an interview.

Question for those that have gone through the process already- regards to proof of funds for those that were asked, did you put that amongst documents requested or did you just hold onto it and if they asked you then provided?

Question for those that have gone through the process already- regards to proof of funds for those that were asked, did you put that amongst documents requested or did you just hold onto it and if they asked you then provided?
I wonder as we if being married to an American citizen has influence on how much you will need or be expected to have. Also what if you’re planning on selling everything before moving over so your funds are tied up in that. Etc.

I wonder as we if being married to an American citizen has influence on how much you will need or be expected to have. Also what if you’re planning on selling everything before moving over so your funds are tied up in that. Etc.
I know I’m my situation accommodation and utilities will be covered- I will be getting a signed declaration from my husband for this (as to whether this will help or not is another thing).

I have read quite a bit that they don’t like to take into consideration material things for proof of funds at the interview so I personally won’t be relying on that.

I do however have a heap of my funds tied up in annual leave from work though so hopefully this will be sufficient with a print out from my last payslip when the time comes :)