• Hello Members, This forums is for DV lottery visas only. For other immigration related questions, please go to our forums home page, find the related forum and post it there.

DV 2019 Oceania Selectees

How do you even get an alternate passport? They will cancel the previous one. Or are you a dual citizen?

I don’t know about Australia, but some countries will issue 2 passports simultaneously for people who may have problems with various entry /exit stamps in countries that are hostile to each other (for example people working in both Israel and some arab countries where stamps from the one would cause problems trying to enter the other)

I don’t know about Australia, but some countries will issue 2 passports simultaneously for people who may have problems with various entry /exit stamps in countries that are hostile to each other (for example people working in both Israel and some arab countries where stamps from the one would cause problems trying to enter the other)
Yes Susie, Australia offers concurrent passports but as far as I can tell it's not something that they just give out with a simple application.

Department of Foreign Affairs and Trade (DFAT) advises that the “granting of a concurrent passport is to be very tightly controlled and only approved where all other options have been exhausted.”

But might be worth looking into for Doug, the article I read specifically mentions lengthy visa approvals being one reason that is taken into consideration.

Yes Susie, Australia offers concurrent passports but as far as I can tell it's not something that they just give out with a simple application.

Department of Foreign Affairs and Trade (DFAT) advises that the “granting of a concurrent passport is to be very tightly controlled and only approved where all other options have been exhausted.”

But might be worth looking into for Doug, the article I read specifically mentions lengthy visa approvals being one reason that is taken into consideration.

I don’t think the week or so turnaround of the US process would be considered “lengthy” (I’m aware of some countries that can take a couple of months or even more and I’d guess that’s what they mean) but it may be worth a try.

How do you even get an alternate passport? They will cancel the previous one. Or are you a dual citizen?

Sorry, incorrect term. Should have said "concurrent passport". It's a 2nd passport AustGovt issues you in certain circumstances, such as:

"In cases of demonstrated need you can apply for a concurrent passport – a second passport of the same kind as your first – to facilitate international travel. Approval is generally limited to cases where significant travel delays could be caused by waiting for visa(s) to be issued or when a destination country will not accept a passport showing evidence of travel to another country."

You could ask whether you can stay in Sydney and pick up the passport in person, or even consider keeping the passport after the interview and sending it to the embassy when you have a decent window of time.

That's a good idea.

You could ask whether you can stay in Sydney and pick up the passport in person, or even consider keeping the passport after the interview and sending it to the embassy when you have a decent window of time.
I wonder if staying and picking it up in person is actually an option, that would be great if you could do that.

I wouldn't worry, mine was done at Auckland. I presume yours was Sydney? Sydney is probably a busier consulate.

Now I am a little worried about mune as I havnt heard anything and we had our interviews on the same date
You were given the ok on the day weren’t you. I guess you could always check and see what your status is via the website but no doubt it will be right around the corner.

Does anyone know how long you can drive in the US with a foreign license? I can't find that info. I know I need to sit a written and practical test at some point to get the US license.

Does anyone know how long you can drive in the US with a foreign license? I can't find that info. I know I need to sit a written and practical test at some point to get the US license.
Different states have different requirements I am moving to Nevada and have 30 days before I have to switch my license over. I downloaded the driving guide from the dmv and have an app that tests me on the rules which is great it’s called DMV genie ‍♀️ Ignore my crappy scores though.

Attachments

• 4D0ACC61-EE01-4196-BCDC-C8B09C62F8A3.png
    4D0ACC61-EE01-4196-BCDC-C8B09C62F8A3.png
    452.2 KB · Views: 9