• Hello Members, This forums is for DV lottery visas only. For other immigration related questions, please go to our forums home page, find the related forum and post it there.

DV 2019 Oceania Selectees

I had my medical on Monday - it was a fairly straightforward process and there wasn't anything out of the ordinary.

The medical itself took only 20-30 minutes; however, the chest x-ray itself took 5 minutes and the blood was relatively quick! It's mainly waiting for the chest x-ray that add time as it was a walk in appointment (30-40 minutes in my case)!

The medical itself had a few elements to it. The first part involved the doctor going through my vaccination history records, filling in a worksheet that had each required vaccination, and the dates that I had that particular vaccination (the list of vaccinations is on the CDC's website). The only vaccination that I did not have was chickenpox (had this a child) and influenza (exempt at the moment because the 2019 vaccination isn't available yet/not flu season). For this, it definitely helps to have a detailed list of vaccinations and dates administered (most doctor practices have computer software that prints vaccinations completed at that practice in a nice and neat list for you).

We then went through a few questions about medical history. Some questions included: any illnesses/injuries that involved being hospitalized, any heart conditions/heart disease, am I a smoker, do I have asthma, do I have a history of stroke, do I have difficulties with learning/memory/speech, do I use recreational drugs or engage in substance abuse, have I tried to end my life, pregnancy, etc.?

A physical examination follows where we the doctor then examined my body (this involved touching the abdomen, skin, neck, etc.). Tests were also done on my lungs, blood pressure, heart rate, ears, height, weight, throat, teeth, and mouth. There was also a test on reflexes to check brain asymmetry (i.e. does my brain react to stimuli in the say way/degree on both sides of my body). The last part was an eye test to see how my vision faired by asking me to read the smallest line I could see.

After all this was done, it was a visit to the x-ray centre for a chest x-ray (to check for TB), followed by a visit to the pathology lab for a urine sample/blood test. Results are sent to the doctor, who then gives you a copy of the x-ray and completed vaccination worksheet. The medical itself is sent to the embassy and, unfortunately, you're not allowed to see it (I was told that there wasn't any issues with the examination, but we cannot get a copy of the form itself).

Hoping this helps anyone that's curious about the whole medical process!

All done, just waiting on the return on the passports now. He did say it could take 2 weeks which is longer than expected but not a big deal. Questions were pretty much the same JNR had. Why we are going ("to make money" which he found amusing), where we are going, asked about my education, and then what i do for a living. Then some small talk and that was it (he was very friendly). Only hiccup was the credit card machine was broken so had to run outside to get some cash!

It is a bit surreal. Overall I found the medical to be more demanding than the interview.

Just wondering if I should do a few sneaky job applications (I already have a social security number).

It is a bit surreal. Overall I found the medical to be more demanding than the interview.

Just wondering if I should do a few sneaky job applications (I already have a social security number).

Generally, job applications from abroad are a bit if a waste of time, unless you already have contacts or you have a niche skillset.

You don’t put your SSN in a job applications...(and if you did, it would still come up as whatever status you had before because you haven’t entered on your immigration visa yet).

Congrats to the new visa holders here.

Medical done, quite uneventful really. Dr Yates in Brisbane is really nice, probably spent about 20 mins in his office going through the paperwork which was just asking the usual medical stuff, what surgeries have you had, do have you have heart disease, diabetes, asthma etc etc. Walked over to pathology for blood test and was seen right away. Then walked up to the x-ray clinic and waited no more than 15 mins, didn't have to wait for results as they'll get sent to the Embassy and Dr Yates will post out my vaccination record and xray. In total I was done in about 1.5 hours

All done, just waiting on the return on the passports now. He did say it could take 2 weeks which is longer than expected but not a big deal.

Geez, I hope it doesn't take 2 weeks! That's a major problem for those of us working FIFO overseas.

Seems lots of people are kicking goals with no surprises. Good to hear.

Doug you have done your interview haven’t you?

No, had a VERY busy December and January (moving house, then having to do urgent repairs to new house!) then lost my damn Police cert, had to re-apply for a new one. So...only got around to document email submission to KCC as of last week. So waiting for interview date now.

But with my FIFO role, it wouldn't surprise me if the initial interview date is not doable, so will have to negotiate with the consulate for something that works.

I think he was just saying two weeks so to stop us harassing them about where the passports are. I'm sure it will be with me next week.