• Hello Members, This forums is for DV lottery visas only. For other immigration related questions, please go to our forums home page, find the related forum and post it there.

DV 2019 Oceania Selectees

Simon/mom/Susie any idea as to why OC is moving at a snails pace?

I know it’s still too early to be freaking out about the numbers but I’m just trying to get a better understanding of it all.

Hi everyone,

Congrats to you all on being selected! I wish I'd found this forum before proceeding with my application, but here I am nonetheless!

I have a case number in the high 600's, so my fingers are crossed that I'll get in on time. I just got an email a few days ago requesting documentation to be emailed, and I just order my police certificate but accidentally ticket 35 instead of 33, hopefully this is the first and last error I make (I'm thinking I'll now get a fingerprint check, just in case).

I just have a question regarding proving that I won't be a 'public charge'. Does anybody know what finances I need to show in the interview, if any? I can't find a solid, clear answer on this. I just finished studying (theatre arts - so they may already be skeptical of my ability to pay bills), so it'll take a few months to build my finances up again, however my tax return from 17-18 is well above the 'poverty rate' in the US.

Thanks in advance!
You can’t find a solid clear answer because there isn’t one. The amount of funds say a 25 year old computer whiz kid with brilliant job prospects, or say a new high school graduate prepared to work hard at a blue collar job, needs to show is vastly different from the amount a retired chronically ill person needs to show. You need to present some combination of savings and ability to earn to show the CO that you’ll be able to support yourself in the US. Plenty people get diversity visas without showing any savings at all. At the embassy I interviewed at (not Oceania) however they routinely asked for proof of assets. Better to over-prepare ...have assets, maybe do some basic research on what type of job you hope to do and where if it’s something like theater that you think may raise concerns.

I know it’s still too early to be freaking out about the numbers but I’m just trying to get a better understanding of it all.

Very slow indeed. Have they decided to trim Oceania's numbers? Hope not.

Very slow indeed. Have they decided to trim Oceania's numbers? Hope not.

I’ve been looking at past figures and they all seem to even out in the end. At this point still nothing to worry about. Just more time to prepare.

It's not a snails pace. It's month 4 of 12 - so even if they only continued at this pace there would be time to exceed 1000, and the highest OC case number can't be much more than that. So - RELAX!

It's not a snails pace. It's month 4 of 12 - so even if they only continued at this pace there would be time to exceed 1000, and the highest OC case number can't be much more than that. So - RELAX!
Yes last night after I had my little freak out I looked over your google doc for the vb’s past and was like ok relax.

You can’t find a solid clear answer because there isn’t one. The amount of funds say a 25 year old computer whiz kid with brilliant job prospects, or say a new high school graduate prepared to work hard at a blue collar job, needs to show is vastly different from the amount a retired chronically ill person needs to show. You need to present some combination of savings and ability to earn to show the CO that you’ll be able to support yourself in the US. Plenty people get diversity visas without showing any savings at all. At the embassy I interviewed at (not Oceania) however they routinely asked for proof of assets. Better to over-prepare ...have assets, maybe do some basic research on what type of job you hope to do and where if it’s something like theater that you think may raise concerns.
So we have not been asked to prepare any 'proof of funds' or proof of not being a potential 'public charge concern' documents for our interview in a couple of weeks. I have read about public charge issues etc and showing this proof but in no way has the Sydney consulate asked for anything. I'm not worried about this and I'm also not bringing anything with me to the interview. Well ... i wasn't prepared to unless someone can show me definitively where the US consulate in Sydney requests this. Otherwise this might just be an issue for other countries not Oceania. IMO

So we have not been asked to prepare any 'proof of funds' or proof of not being a potential 'public charge concern' documents for our interview in a couple of weeks. I have read about public charge issues etc and showing this proof but in no way has the Sydney consulate asked for anything. I'm not worried about this and I'm also not bringing anything with me to the interview. Well ... i wasn't prepared to unless someone can show me definitively where the US consulate in Sydney requests this. Otherwise this might just be an issue for other countries not Oceania. IMO

It’s not usually a problem for Oceania from what I understand, but FYI, no-one anywhere is ever asked in advance for anything on the financial front. It’s up to you to decide if you’d prefer to prepare and take stuff that might not be needed, or risk going on AP if the CO happens to decide it is required. Just like those qualifying on employment are not told what to bring, they figure out what’s needed and bring what they think they need. Most people prefer to be over-prepared, but YMMV.

It’s not usually a problem for Oceania from what I understand, but FYI, no-one anywhere is ever asked in advance for anything on the financial front. It’s up to you to decide if you’d prefer to prepare and take stuff that might not be needed, or risk going on AP if the CO happens to decide it is required. Just like those qualifying on employment are not told what to bring, they figure out what’s needed and bring what they think they need. Most people prefer to be over-prepared, but YMMV.
Good to know Thanks.

I do wince when people say they have never been told or read about about the possibility that they might need to show proof of finances. It's in the DV entry instructions/FAQ (Q38 for DV2019).

Now, it is true that Sydney rarely (almost never) asks for proof of funds - but they can. And in some circumstances (someone who cannot show good track record of employment for example), they will. And everyone had the same instructions.

I do wince when people say they have never been told or read about about the possibility that they might need to show proof of finances. It's in the DV entry instructions/FAQ (Q38 for DV2019).

Now, it is true that Sydney rarely (almost never) asks for proof of funds - but they can. And in some circumstances (someone who cannot show good track record of employment for example), they will. And everyone had the same instructions.
It was in the generic instructions but not specifically requested for Sydney interview. If you have the onus to prove funds why don’t they request it in paperwork needed to collate for interview? It isn’t an issue just to print off a bank balance but when everything else is so detailed why leave out something? Something to potentially eliminate candidates?
So I guess I’ll print another form to bring to interview.

It was in the generic instructions but not specifically requested for Sydney interview. If you have the onus to prove funds why don’t they request it in paperwork needed to collate for interview? It isn’t an issue just to print off a bank balance but when everything else is so detailed why leave out something? Something to potentially eliminate candidates?
So I guess I’ll print another form to bring to interview.

Because it’s not as simple as a bank balance, as has already been explained, both here and in the DV FAQs.

Anyway, your case, your choice as to how you approach it.

Because it’s not as simple as a bank balance, as has already been explained, both here and in the DV FAQs.

Anyway, your case, your choice as to how you approach it.
the question is why dosnt the US consulate in Sydney ask for ‘proof’ in the requested paperwork? This is not me finding a way around a system but that the system should be specific in its requests at this stage, interview paperwork stage. I can appreciate each case is unique, and dv instructions were clear in the initial steps. But the question for me remains.... if this is critical for US consulate in SYDNEY cases why not ask for proof in the paperwork to take to interview? However you choose to prove it. Employment records, payslips or bank balance etc
To me this is an error in the system. One that they should address.

It’s not really that big of a deal, you’re advised in the initial email that you maybe required to provide proof etc. either have it ready just in case or be prepared to be put on ap if they ask for it and you don’t have it.

the question is why dosnt the US consulate in Sydney ask for ‘proof’ in the requested paperwork? This is not me finding a way around a system but that the system should be specific in its requests at this stage, interview paperwork stage. I can appreciate each case is unique, and dv instructions were clear in the initial steps. But the question for me remains.... if this is critical for US consulate in SYDNEY cases why not ask for proof in the paperwork to take to interview? However you choose to prove it. Employment records, payslips or bank balance etc
To me this is an error in the system. One that they should address.

Once again, NO consulates ask for it in advance. Not one. NONE. Once again, the issue of public charge is a totally individual issue. Some people are clearly not going to be a public charge, others may get asked for things that most people interviewing at their embassy don’t, because of their individual circumstances. And yet again, it’s impossible to list financial requirements on a generic sheet because - for example - a 25 year old software engineer and a 65 year old retiree with chronic health issues would show completely different paths to overcoming public charge concerns. Anyway, feel free to argue with the CO about the deficiencies in their system if you want, I’m tired of going round in circles about the obvious.

Once again, NO consulates ask for it in advance. Not one. NONE. Once again, the issue of public charge is a totally individual issue. Some people are clearly not going to be a public charge, others may get asked for things that most people interviewing at their embassy don’t, because of their individual circumstances. And yet again, it’s impossible to list financial requirements on a generic sheet because - for example - a 25 year old software engineer and a 65 year old retiree with chronic health issues would show completely different paths to overcoming public charge concerns. Anyway, feel free to argue with the CO about the deficiencies in their system if you want, I’m tired of going round in circles about the obvious.
And we’re getting personal because?

And we’re getting personal because?
Nothing was personal, and if you think it was feel free to highlight that bit, but I do get annoyed going round in circles saying the same thing. It’s a total waste of time and one of the reasons some people just end up not bothering to stay around on forums to help future selectees anymore.