• Hello Members, This forums is for DV lottery visas only. For other immigration related questions, please go to our forums home page, find the related forum and post it there.

DV 2019 Oceania Selectees

For vaccinations, can they just give you a blood test to check for that? I'm pretty sure I'm ok as will the children, but my wife is from a developing country so her records are scratchy.

Question re Birth Certificate

My surname on my birth certificate is my fathers surname but as they divorced when I was a child I’ve used my mothers surname for everything including school and all passports.
As yet my name has not been changed on my birth certificate but I’ve always used a stat dec saying that I am known as Xxxxx Yyyyy rather than Xxxxx Zzzzz

I have not submitted my 260 yet do you all think I should get my last name legally changed to the name I currently use or will a stat dec and drivers license passport be enough.

For vaccinations, can they just give you a blood test to check for that? I'm pretty sure I'm ok as will the children, but my wife is from a developing country so her records are scratchy.
Absolutely they can I got one done for my own records but make sure you get the list of what to test for based on age.

Have been shortlisted for a dream job....and now have to decide. Do I want this job more than a Greencard, or vice versa?

Otherwise, I'll be paying for flights to/from the US every 2 weeks.

Typical...have only been in the DV lottery for 2 decades now, and this is the first time I've been selected.

Grrrr....

Have been shortlisted for a dream job....and now have to decide. Do I want this job more than a Greencard, or vice versa?

Typical...have only been in the DV lottery for 2 decades now, and this is the first time I've been selected.

Grrrr....

Write a list! Pros and cons

If your dream job was to fall thru after a year would you be happy to stay in Australia?

Of course not....but conversely, it would drive me mad to fly to/from the US every 2 weeks.
Fair enough I guess you could always get it and take a year and see if you’re going to stay or go. Who knows it could lead to bigger dream jobs

Grrrr....

Why would you have to fly back and forth every two weeks?

You can try get the best of both worlds by going for your interview, entering and activating your green card, then applying for a re-entry permit. That gives you up to two years to figure out whether your dream job is everything you expect it to be.

You can try get the best of both worlds by going for your interview, entering and activating your green card, then applying for a re-entry permit. That gives you up to two years to figure out whether your dream job is everything you expect it to be.
This !!!!

You can try get the best of both worlds by going for your interview, entering and activating your green card, then applying for a re-entry permit.

The two weeks is the job rotation (fly in/out).

I'm not sure what you're talking about in regards to a re-entry permit?

Question re Birth Certificate

My surname on my birth certificate is my fathers surname but as they divorced when I was a child I’ve used my mothers surname for everything including school and all passports.
As yet my name has not been changed on my birth certificate but I’ve always used a stat dec saying that I am known as Xxxxx Yyyyy rather than Xxxxx Zzzzz

I have not submitted my 260 yet do you all think I should get my last name legally changed to the name I currently use or will a stat dec and drivers license passport be enough.

@SusieQQQ what’s your take on my situation?

@SusieQQQ what’s your take on my situation?

I find the Australian system quite confusing to be honest, things like retroactively changing last names on birth certificates don’t happen elsewhere to my knowledge! So this opinion is kind of uninformed.... but from my understanding: If a stat dec is a legal document, which I presume it is from its name and the fact that you could get your passport etc issued under that name, it should be fine as that means you can satisfactorily show that you’re the same person. And I presume you will list your birth name under the “other names” section on DS260. However, if it’s relatively easy and quick to legally change your name there and it would give you more comfort then you may as well do that.

I find the Australian system quite confusing to be honest, things like retroactively changing last names on birth certificates don’t happen elsewhere to my knowledge! So this opinion is kind of uninformed.... but from my understanding: If a stat dec is a legal document, which I presume it is from its name and the fact that you could get your passport etc issued under that name, it should be fine as that means you can satisfactorily show that you’re the same person. And I presume you will list your birth name under the “other names” section on DS260. However, if it’s relatively easy and quick to legally change your name there and it would give you more comfort then you may as well do that.

With a 8xx number I have held back from filling out my DS260 form. Is that crazy?
I was planning on doing it next month as the way I understood it there was no rush it get it in ASAP.

It would be easy enough to see the relationship between the name I use and the name I was born with I would hope.

Parents married
Born with fathers surname
Mothers married and maiden name listed on birth certificate.
Parents divorced
Name changed by stat dec to mothers maiden name.

School records, drivers license and passport all under second surname.

I was told though when I got my last passport that if I lost it a stat dec wouldn’t be enough to have my name changed but if I just kept renewing it it would be fine.

Admittedly while I’ve used this name all my life I would be sad to have to change it on my birth certificate. Weird I know.