• Hello Members, This forums is for DV lottery visas only. For other immigration related questions, please go to our forums home page, find the related forum and post it there.

DV 2019 Oceania Selectees

Hi everyone,
I have a number in the 600s so am expecting to be interviewed around March 2019. However, I have just accepted a new job offer whereby I will be in training for 6 months (ending in May 2019) and then I will be promoted to a role after this. In my contract it says that if I resign less than 1 year from being promoted, I have to pay back the costs for my training (around $15,000). Obviously, this makes things hard with moving over to the US.

My questions are:
1. Is it possible to activate my VISA with a trip to the US sometime next year after my interview, but then not actually move there until around 18 months later?
2. How long after my interview do I have to activate my VISA? Before it expires?
3. Would I need to keep re-activating my VISA at least once a year?
4. Any other issues you may see from my situation.

Thanks in advance for your help!

I'm not an expert but my understanding is;

1 - Yes, you can enter and get the visa and as long as you return within the year you can get back in again
2 -6 months from the medical i believe (so try and get the medical near the interview date)
3 - I think we can apply for an extension of 2 years, someone should know better
4 - Don't think it's a big deal

Hi everyone,
I have a number in the 600s so am expecting to be interviewed around March 2019. However, I have just accepted a new job offer whereby I will be in training for 6 months (ending in May 2019) and then I will be promoted to a role after this. In my contract it says that if I resign less than 1 year from being promoted, I have to pay back the costs for my training (around $15,000). Obviously, this makes things hard with moving over to the US.

My questions are:
1. Is it possible to activate my VISA with a trip to the US sometime next year after my interview, but then not actually move there until around 18 months later?
2. How long after my interview do I have to activate my VISA? Before it expires?
3. Would I need to keep re-activating my VISA at least once a year?
4. Any other issues you may see from my situation.

Thanks in advance for your help!

1. Difficult to wait 18 months after you’ve activated. You’d need a re-entry permit for that, and that would require a stay of at least a few weeks in the US to process (application and biometrics have to be done in the US).
2. Yes, that why it has an expiry date (? Not sure if I misunderstood something as this seems obvious? Or were you asking how long till expiry? If so that’s 6 months after medical.)
3. Touching down in the US once a year is not going to keep you your green card.
4. Yes, unless you can get a re+entry permit your green card is probably in jeopardy. It probably makes more sense to decide whether the promotion or the green card is more important to you, and act accordingly. Also,I presume you are aware that as long as you have a green card you are required to file a tax return with the irs annually regardless of where you actually live or work. Whether or not you actually owe any tax will be dependent on your particular situation.

Last edited:
Good news: I got an email on Monday morning saying that my visa has been issued!!! The strange part is that it still hasn't been put in the mail. Is that normal? I assumed once it's issued that it would be dropped in the mail, but its Wednesday here and I still don't have any tracking information.

Last edited:
Good news: I got an email on Monday morning saying that my visa has been issued!!! The strange part is that it still hasn't been put in the mail. Is that normal? I assumed once it's issued that it would be dropped in the mail, but its Wednesday here and I still don't have any tracking information.
Just kidding. I got an update from Aus Post a few mins ago. Coming today! Woohoo! Thanks for putting up with me.

I’m in OC2019 (500s) and according to trends my interview should be around March. If all goes to plan I will be moving to US end of next year.
The problem I have is I still have a large personal loan to pay off over a couple of years. There’s no way I can pay it off in full by moving time and still save money so will have to make payments from over there.
I’m also getting an affidavit of support from a long time friend over there but not really sure when I should obtain this to have it ready for my interview.
My question is at the interview will this loan jeopardise the outcome of getting a visa or am I just thinking too much?

Over thinking it. And remember you will have to go for an activation trip before the end of next year.

Hi everyone, flew to Brisbane for medicals on Monday. When we were discussing, on this forum, vaccinations earlier I just thought Id let you all know husband and I had to have a flu vac, MMR and one other possibly chicken pox for my husband and tetnus for me?. We had vac reports from Mygov for the 3 kids, they were up to date, they didnt have to have anything extra. So it was pretty straight forward and really glad I didnt do a whole lot of vaccinations prior. The receptionist said all reports are sent to consulate now but let me know to keep the xrays? with me (something she will be sending me) in my hand luggage in case required on entry. interview now in one month :)

When we were discussing, on this forum, vaccinations earlier I just thought Id let you all know husband and I had to have a flu vac, MMR and one other possibly chicken pox for my husband and tetnus for me?. :)

Did you have any documentation regarding past vacinnations for yourself or your husband?