• Hello Members, This forums is for DV lottery visas only. For other immigration related questions, please go to our forums home page, find the related forum and post it there.

DV 2019 AOS Only

I remember of reading abt non requirement of financial docs for DV selectee on the 39th page of the 42 page long I-485 instruction, and that was were i was confused since i noted almost every applicant have mentioned about the submission of some sort of fin docs, but it's technically not required, so i was confused as to include it or not for my i-485 package.

You might want to read this - one of my previous responses regarding the I-485 and financial documents requirements for a DV based AOS petition.

Additional posts worth reading:
Interview Letter with I-134 requirement
I-134 Requested during interview
Financial documents requested during interview

These are just a few examples of the need to be fully prepared - these folks wouldn’t have been approved if they didn’t attend their interviews prepared with evidence to convince their IOs they’re unlikely to become a public charge. The need to present financial documents may not be technically required on the basis of it not be expressly listed on the I-485 instructions, however the expectation is still there for a petitioner to be able to demonstrate they’re unlikely to become a public charge.

Hey everyone,

Had my interview today, I will make a full report once the process is over.

Even though I have confidence I will be approved, I am worried about the deadline.

The IO concluded by telling me she would do final checks and that I will receive the Green Card in 6 to 8 weeks (which suggests the actual approval would not take place before the deadline).
I guess I was a bit stunned by the stress and her strict interviewing style but I did not think of asking her if she was aware of the DV timeline :/
I obviously regret a lot not asking her, which causes unnecessary worry and risk..

My status has not changed since the interview (granted, it took place this morning).
Knowing that we are very close to the deadline, do you think I should do anything particular other than wait?
If waiting is the only option for now (which I guess it is), when would you advise I try and make an inquiry about the case?

Thank you very much for your help!

Hey everyone,

Had my interview today, I will make a full report once the process is over.

Even though I have confidence I will be approved, I am worried about the deadline.

The IO concluded by telling me she would do final checks and that I will receive the Green Card in 6 to 8 weeks (which suggests the actual approval would not take place before the deadline).
I guess I was a bit stunned by the stress and her strict interviewing style but I did not think of asking her if she was aware of the DV timeline :/
I obviously regret a lot not asking her, which causes unnecessary worry and risk..

My status has not changed since the interview (granted, it took place this morning).
Knowing that we are very close to the deadline, do you think I should do anything particular other than wait?
If waiting is the only option for now (which I guess it is), when would you advise I try and make an inquiry about the case?

Thank you very much for your help!

Nope. The IO telling you to expect your GC in 6 to 8 weeks does NOT suggest the actual approval would not take place before the deadline. They often say that, status updates will probably start showing up in the next couple of days assuming your background check has cleared and they already have your KCC file.

Exercise some patience.

Evidence of financial support mentioned in the instruction is defined as a filled form i-864 (page 12). While it's true that this form is not necessary for DV based AOS, you still need to prove that you will not become a public charge (also page 12). Form i-134 exists for a reason...

Hi Xarthisius,
no, of course i will submit the financial documents along with the package, which would have my bank statements from USA, tax returns, and my statements from back home that has fixed funds in the accounts for my future, past school use. But the only issue i have is i do not have any sponsor to provide the letter to me, but my employer is willing to submit the documents mentioning they do not intend to fire me anytime soon and are willing to provide necessary documents that mentions how my job is related to my education and why are they interested in keeping me, along with increment in salary twice a year. So i thought this would do the job in proving them that i will not become a public charge.
I hope its enough to support my application?

You might want to read this - one of my previous responses regarding the I-485 and financial documents requirements for a DV based AOS petition.

Additional posts worth reading:
Interview Letter with I-134 requirement
I-134 Requested during interview
Financial documents requested during interview

These are just a few examples of the need to be fully prepared - these folks wouldn’t have been approved if they didn’t attend their interviews prepared with evidence to convince their IOs they’re unlikely to become a public charge. The need to present financial documents may not be technically required on the basis of it not be expressly listed on the I-485 instructions, however the expectation is still there for a petitioner to be able to demonstrate they’re unlikely to become a public charge.

Hi Sm1smom,
Thank you for the attachments, this will really help me, I am planning to submit my bank statements, tax returns and fixed deposit certificates from back home to prove that i will not become public charge along with this,a letter from employer that says they do not intend to fire me and shall provide documents if need be. This is my full-time direct hire job which i have been on from my OPT till using my CPT currently which means they are pretty flexible with my student status. Hope this work as positive point for my application.
Do you think this should be good enough to support me? and i do not have any dependents too, but i am afraid i do not have sponsorer too.

Hi Sm1smom,
Thank you for the attachments, this will really help me, I am planning to submit my bank statements, tax returns and fixed deposit certificates from back home to prove that i will not become public charge along with this,a letter from employer that says they do not intend to fire me and shall provide documents if need be. This is my full-time direct hire job which i have been on from my OPT till using my CPT currently which means they are pretty flexible with my student status. Hope this work as positive point for my application.
Do you think this should be good enough to support me? and i do not have any dependents too, but i am afraid i do not have sponsorer too.

I don't expect financial documents from your home country will carry any weight, of course you can still submit them if you wish.

If you have a US bank account with a fairly decent amount and a job offer letter showing an income above the poverty guideline applicable to your case, you may not be required/not have to worry about having an I-134.

I don't expect financial documents from your home country will carry any weight, of course you can still submit them if you wish.

If you have a US bank account with a fairly decent amount and a job offer letter showing an income above the poverty guideline applicable to your case, you may not be required/not have to worry about having an I-134.
oh yes ofcourse that is doable, thank you Sm1smom this information will help me.

Hi Mom,

It’s been 2 weeks now and we didn’t hear from the USCIS ( Detroit FO ) regarding my husband’s case. Do you think this is a good time to contact the Congressman or can I inquire about the case status from USCIS? Please kindly advice me on how to contact a congressman.
Thank you

Hi Mom,

It’s been 2 weeks now and we didn’t hear from the USCIS ( Detroit FO ) regarding my husband’s case. Do you think this is a good time to contact the Congressman or can I inquire about the case status from USCIS? Please kindly advice me on how to contact a congressman.
Thank you

Yes you can initiate a follow up request with your Congress person. Goggle your Congress person (preferably House of Rep) if you don’t already know who that person is. Then visit their website for information on how to contact them.

Mom, I haven't heard anything after our interview. Should I email our congressman or wait a couple of more days?

Thanks

1. Request to speak with a Tier 2 officer when you call the 1800 number
2. Request a service request be initiated and sent out to your FO.
3. Try a walk-in INFOPASS at your FO.
Hi Mom,

Soon after trying 1 & 2 (and the Congressman's office was simultaneously following up with my FO), someone from my FO (I believe she is an IO) and scheduled an interview for me over the phone (she was well aware of the 9/30 deadline). She said she could fax me an interview letter, but after I told her that I don't have a fax number and asked if she could email me one, she said I would not need an interview letter and told me to just come to my FO and gave me a specific suite number within the building.
My wife and I had an interview today (9/16). We had a little bit of difficulty getting into the building because the security expected us to have an interview letter, but we explained our situation and they let us in.
The interview went very smooth, and all we did was to confirm the original documents and to go over the entire Form I-485. The IO was very nice and we got out within 40 minutes. After the interview, we waited in the waiting room for a while, and the IO let us in again to take a photo and confirm our fingerprints. We then received a letter on the spot saying, "Congratulations! Your Application for Adjustment of Status (I-485) has been approved."

Thank you so much for your very valuable guidance and advice! Without your help, we wouldn't have been able to pulled this off. I will share my AOS timeline in the spreadsheet!

Last edited:
Hi Mom,

Soon after trying 1 & 2 (and the Congressman's office was simultaneously following up with my FO), someone from my FO (I believe she is an IO) and scheduled an interview for me over the phone (she was well aware of the 9/30 deadline). She said she could fax me an interview letter, but after I told her that I don't have a fax number and asked if she could email me one, she said I would not need an interview letter and told me to just come to my FO and gave me a specific suite number within the building.
My wife and I had an interview today (9/16). We had a little bit of difficulty getting into the building because the security expected us to have an interview letter, but we explained our situation and they let us in.
The interview went very smooth, and all we did was to confirm the original documents and to go over the entire Form I-485. The IO was very nice and we got out within 40 minutes. After the interview, we waited in the waiting room for a while, and the IO let us in again to take a photo and confirm our fingerprints. We then received a letter on the spot saying, "Congratulations! Your Application for Adjustment of Status (I-485) has been approved."

Thank you so much for your very valuable guidance and advice! Without your help, we wouldn't have been able to pulled this off. I will share my AOS timeline in the spreadsheet!

Great news. Congratulations.

Nope. The IO telling you to expect your GC in 6 to 8 weeks does NOT suggest the actual approval would not take place before the deadline. They often say that, status updates will probably start showing up in the next couple of days assuming your background check has cleared and they already have your KCC file.

Exercise some patience.

You were right, as always.

My status just changed to `New Card Is Being Produced` :)

Thanks a lot for your help!
I will make my report once I get back from work.

Hi Mom,

Hello. WooooW!!! CONGRATULATIONS!
I have one question, how did IO from your FO contact you? Did he call you or were you able to reach him yourself? I'm interested in this question because I still haven't been called for an interview.
Thank you!

Hello. WooooW!!! CONGRATULATIONS!
I have one question, how did IO from your FO contact you? Did he call you or were you able to reach him yourself? I'm interested in this question because I still haven't been called for an interview.
Thank you!
Did you do a walk-in bio and if so, when?

Did you do a walk-in bio and if so, when?
Yes, we had an appointment for September 11, but we did it on September 4 as soon as we received the letter. After biometrics, I contacted the Congressman, but we have not received a response to the request.