• Hello Members, This forums is for DV lottery visas only. For other immigration related questions, please go to our forums home page, find the related forum and post it there.

DV 2019 AOS Only

Hello Mom,

1. I called the USCIS 1800 number twice and tried 2 different representatives but they wouldn't believe me about the 9/30 deadline and said there was nothing they could do.

2. I contacted the congressman's office, and they received the following email from USCIS:

Thank you for your letter on behalf of your constituent, Mrs. (My Wife) and Mr. (Me) , regarding the status of the Form I-485, Application to Register Permanent Residence or Adjust Status that she filed with U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS).

We apologize for the delay in responding to your letter. Your correspondence is important to us, and we are working to respond to your inquiry as promptly as possible.

In Mrs. (My Wife) and Mrs. (Me)’s case, additional research time is required in order to provide you with complete and accurate information. We anticipate providing a response to you within the next 30 days.

We appreciate your patience and if we can be of further assistance, please let us know.

Respectfully,

Congressional Liaison Officer

Knowing the 9/30 deadline, the congressman's office also followed up with my FO (they're still waiting for a response from FO). Is there anything else you can recommend?

1. Request to speak with a Tier 2 officer when you call the 1800 number
2. Request a service request be initiated and sent out to your FO.
3. Try a walk-in INFOPASS at your FO.

Hi Mom,

First of all, I would like to inform you that our greencards were approved and in mail. Your guidance was so helpful for the whole process. Especially, you helped me out (your excel spreadsheet) to prepare an error-free and satisfactory aos application for my DV2019 case. I also would like to thank you for patiently answering my questions throughout the process.

Kind regards,

Hi Mom,

First of all, I would like to inform you that our greencards were approved and in mail. Your guidance was so helpful for the whole process. Especially, you helped me out (your excel spreadsheet) to prepare an error-free and satisfactory aos application for my DV2019 case. I also would like to thank you for patiently answering my questions throughout the process.

Kind regards,

Awesome! Congratulations.

Congratulations to everybody here...

Is there still a chance our application will be approved though? Are there any more cases like us?
I am just losing hope every day

Last edited:
Dear Mom,

I would like to thank you for the resources you provide in this forum.

We have received our cards today and, to be honest, it would have not been possible without the help of this forum. For months while waiting for our number to be current we have read and reread the information and guides in the official immigration sites from the government and haven't had found this forum, we would have made mistakes which would have lead to our applications to be rejected.

Therefore, I express my gratitude to you and all the forum members. I will update the timeline spreadsheet as soon as I have access, but in a nutshell:

1) Status: G4
2) We did not submit a DS-260 as it was not necessary for AoS.
2) Current: June 2019.
3) Applications in lockbox: June 3, 2019
4) Biometrics: June 24, 2019.
5) Interview letter: July 12, 2019
6) Interview: August 28, 2019 @ Virginia - Washington Field Office.
7) Cards received: September 6, 2019.

The interview:

My wife and I entered together.

The officer was very polite and focused mainly in two things: 1) Since my wife has a EAC, the officer asked several questions to be sure she has not worked before she has her EAC and 2) He asked if we have had any court citations including traffic, comparing our answers to the notes he already has. So be sure not to omit information if you do have any.

And, of course, he went through the applications, asking questions to confirm the information contained there.

Again, thank you very much and I wish luck to everybody who is still fighting to complete the process. Don't give up!

Congratulations to everybody here...

Is there still a chance our application will be approved though? Are there any more cases like us?
I am just losing hope every day

Unfortunately no one here can say for certain how your case will end. Of course it’s not over till after Sept. 30th, so hang in there.

Dear Mom,

I would like to thank you for the resources you provide in this forum.

We have received our cards today and, to be honest, it would have not been possible without the help of this forum. For months while waiting for our number to be current we have read and reread the information and guides in the official immigration sites from the government and haven't had found this forum, we would have made mistakes which would have lead to our applications to be rejected.

Therefore, I express my gratitude to you and all the forum members. I will update the timeline spreadsheet as soon as I have access, but in a nutshell:

1) Status: G4
2) We did not submit a DS-260 as it was not necessary for AoS.
2) Current: June 2019.
3) Applications in lockbox: June 3, 2019
4) Biometrics: June 24, 2019.
5) Interview letter: July 12, 2019
6) Interview: August 28, 2019 @ Virginia - Washington Field Office.
7) Cards received: September 6, 2019.

The interview:

My wife and I entered together.

The officer was very polite and focused mainly in two things: 1) Since my wife has a EAC, the officer asked several questions to be sure she has not worked before she has her EAC and 2) He asked if we have had any court citations including traffic, comparing our answers to the notes he already has. So be sure not to omit information if you do have any.

And, of course, he went through the applications, asking questions to confirm the information contained there.

Again, thank you very much and I wish luck to everybody who is still fighting to complete the process. Don't give up!

Congratulations.

Hi Mom,

I received my GC. So thank you very much for all your kind advices. Unfortunately there’s nothing changed in my husband’s case. We did our interview on the 28th August and it’s Detroit FO. Should I contact the congressman? Please advice me.

Hi Mom,

I received my GC. So thank you very much for all your kind advices. Unfortunately there’s nothing changed in my husband’s case. We did our interview on the 28th August and it’s Detroit FO. Should I contact the congressman? Please advice me.

Well, it’s only been about a week plus a couple of days since your interview and your IO told you they needed to re-run your husband’s background check, right? So they’re shouldn’t be any surprise regarding no update on his case as of today, I understand you’re worried about his case but it is what it is for now. I suggest giving the process another week to run its course before contacting your congressman - nothing will happen for as long as the background check is pending.

Got my IL today with Interview date set to 09/09. Will be difficult for my son in Canada but we will still try.

Hey Dveric,
How did your interview go?
I am wondering as I am also E2 in SF, even though my situation seems a bit less complicated :/

Hey Dveric,
How did your interview go?
I am wondering as I am also E2 in SF, even though my situation seems a bit less complicated :/
Hi No-Escape,

I will provide a longer report tomorrow as I am currently travelling. Interview went very well and ISO was very professional explaining at each step what was going to happen. They are trying the extra mile for my son which is awesome so continuing crossing fingers. Just checked USCIS web site and cards being produced!
In the meantime, thanks to all and kudos to Mom and BritSimon!

Last edited:
Hi Mom and everyone,
I received my green card yesterday finally!!
I'm very sorry, I've been very busy these past weeks but I made a request to update the spreadsheet.
Here is my timeline,
  • July 9th 2018: Got AOS fees receipt cashed
  • March 1st: Posted my AOS package off to the Chicago Lockbox..
  • March 4th: AOS package had been accepted and had my I-485 and Biometrics check cashed
  • March 13th: I received NOA by mail
  • March 19th: Received my Biometrics scheduling letter/date in the mail..
  • May 4th Had my Biometrics appointment..
  • Aug 2nd: Received my interview letter/date in the mail.
  • Aug 21st Attending my Green Card interview, 40-50 min long. The officer was very nice and professional. I was asked for a lot of documents (All Transcripts from here and back in my country to check my GPA, diplomas, enrollment letter, birth certificate, 8 months bank statements, proofs of income, new medical form, g325a, AOS fees receipts, and couple of other documents then we went through the whole I-485 form).
  • Sept 3rd: Received my Green Card in the mail.
I'd like, once again, to thank you Mom, Susie and BritSimon. Thank you all for your time and your help. For everyone that are going through the same process, please READ and GO OVER the spreadsheet, it is VERY WELL put together. It is very simple and very well explained. I'll be forever grateful to you Mom. And if there is anything I can do to give back one day, I will. I wish good luck to everyone going through the same process as I know the struggle.
Thank you Mom from the bottom of my heart, May God bless you for all the work you do. I've never met you but you probably are one of the most patient, generous and selfless person I know. You'll probably gonna get a special place in heaven;)
May God bless you all and Thank you once again,

Hi @AlyzGates,

First congratulation. I am DV2020 selectee.

I have two specific questions:

1. You mentioned "8 months bank statement" - is that a requirement or just you chose to submit 8 months? Most of the time bank only provides 6 months.

2. Is statement for saving and checking account or both? I have a savings of around $20k on my account plus my salary statement of $35K. Did the IO made any comments about such matters.

Thanks.

Hi everyone,

I came to the US in F1 visa then I applied for Asylum after few monthes and the Asylum case is still pending, after applying for asylum in one year I got TPS status (Syrian natunality) and I am still on TPS since then.

I got my AOS interview last week and I got a denial letter yesterday. The reson for denial was because that the asylum doesn't consider a status and I have an interuption of status for about a year (when I was on Asylum without F1 and TPS). I want to know if there is a way to reverse this dicision in time? Is an appeal request could help knowing that it could take 3-4 monthes and we have less than a month to the end of fiscal year?

Thanks

Hi everyone,

I came to the US in F1 visa then I applied for Asylum after few monthes and the Asylum case is still pending, after applying for asylum in one year I got TPS status (Syrian natunality) and I am still on TPS since then.

I got my AOS interview last week and I got a denial letter yesterday. The reson for denial was because that the asylum doesn't consider a status and I have an interuption of status for about a year (when I was on Asylum without F1 and TPS). I want to know if there is a way to reverse this dicision in time? Is an appeal request could help knowing that it could take 3-4 monthes and we have less than a month to the end of fiscal year?

Thanks

Unfortunately there’s no time to appeal this decision.
Curious to know when did you fall out of F1 status and USCIS accept your asylum petition? Also which FO has jurisdiction over the AOS petition?

Unfortunately there’s no time to appeal this decision.
Curious to know when did you fall out of F1 status and USCIS accept your asylum petition? Also which FO has jurisdiction over the AOS petition?
I fall out of F1 status after I applied for Asylum in two months and it was Houston, Tx office.

I fall out of F1 status after I applied for Asylum in two months and it was Houston, Tx office.

I’m sorry I don’t quite understand your response:

You fell out of status two months after applying for asylum or you applied for asylum two months after falling out of status?

Looks like Fairfax is no longer the only FO denying DV based AOS petitions from Asylum pending status

I’m sorry I don’t quite understand your response:

You fell out of status two months after applying for asylum or you applied for asylum two months after falling out of status?

Looks like Fairfax is no longer the only FO denying DV based AOS petitions from Asylum pending status
I fell out of status two months after applying for asylum, So for about two months I had (F1 + Asylum).

I fell out of status two months after applying for asylum, So for about two months I had (F1 + Asylum).

Thanks for clarifying. Like I previously noted, seems like more FOs are beginning to get strict with DV based AOSers in asylum pending status. Unfortunately, there’s no time for an appeal.

So Mom, just for my own learning and info - do you think it would be an idea for future DV winners who have asylum pending status to process CP? Obviously not in their home country but somewhere else? Not even sure if this is possible, just asking out of curiosity

So Mom, just for my own learning and info - do you think it would be an idea for future DV winners who have asylum pending status to process CP? Obviously not in their home country but somewhere else? Not even sure if this is possible, just asking out of curiosity

It’s a risky option. Departing from the US without an approved AP card while the asylum petition is pending leads to
1. The asylum petition being considered as abandoned, and
2. Possibility of facing a 3 to 10 year ban depending on how long such a has been out of status which makes it impossible to return or even get the IV in the first place.

There’s also the possibility of such a person being stuck in a prolonged AP that may last past the end of the FY.

Lastly if someone with a pending asylum is able to go back home with the mind of processing CP, it begs the question of how genuine their asylum petition was in the first place.